PDA

View Full Version : homes in tulsa

Position Limit
7/22/2011, 10:21 AM
is it me, or does every home for sale in tulsa seem to be overpriced by 50%? makes no sense. 1 out of every 5 homes has a sale sign in the yard in midtown. anyway i can short this overpriced garbage?

soonerchk
7/22/2011, 10:22 AM
Don't buy in midtown and you can pay a reasonable price.

DIB
7/22/2011, 10:23 AM
If you think midtown is bad, look at the new condos in downtown.

Position Limit
7/22/2011, 10:29 AM
Don't buy in midtown and you can pay a reasonable price.

i own in midtown. no way in hell i could live out south. that stuff is worthless. souless misery..

Position Limit
7/22/2011, 10:31 AM
If you think midtown is bad, look at the new condos in downtown.

i know. i have an office in the philtower and they put condos in top floors. they can only rent currently, but the rent price is retarded. they're trying to develop some building around the corner and sell units for over 500 balloons. get real.

tator
7/22/2011, 10:31 AM
This is the first time I've ever heard that Tulsa property is over-priced

My Opinion Matters
7/22/2011, 10:32 AM
i own in midtown. no way in hell i could live out south. that stuff is worthless. souless misery..

Agreed. I live out North. It is equally souless and miserable, but at least it's closer to Santa.

tator
7/22/2011, 10:35 AM
Agreed. I live out North. It is equally souless and miserable, but at least it's closer to Santa.
North Tulsa or north of Tulsa?

soonerchk
7/22/2011, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't live in Tulsa period. Between the potholes and the gang wars, it's just too dangerous.

My Opinion Matters
7/22/2011, 10:36 AM
North Tulsa or north of Tulsa?

North of Tulsa. Although I grew up in North Tulsa. Everyone should remember next time they get an attitude with me.

My Opinion Matters
7/22/2011, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't live in Tulsa period. Between the potholes and the gang wars, it's just too dangerous.

ikr?

Position Limit
7/22/2011, 10:37 AM
This is the first time I've ever heard that Tulsa property is over-priced

the truth sometimes is hard to hear. there is a house 4 blocks from me, some new cheesy construct, they want 1.2 million for it. i was in la jolla, ca last month and saw what a real million dollar home looks like. i need to create an index of tulsa real estate to short.

tator
7/22/2011, 10:38 AM
the truth sometimes is hard to hear. there is a house 4 blocks from me, some new cheesy construct, they want 1.2 million for it. i was in la jolla, ca last month and saw what a real million dollar home looks like. i need to create an index of tulsa real estate to short.
I guess I could see that in a "trendy" part of town. I've never actually lived in Tulsa proper, why the hell would anyone do that?

DIB
7/22/2011, 10:41 AM
i know. i have an office in the philtower and they put condos in top floors. they can only rent currently, but the rent price is retarded. they're trying to develop some building around the corner and sell units for over 500 balloons. get real.

I saw one of the Philtower condos for almost $3k a month in rent. I guess if they can find the yuppies to pay it, then good for them.

DIB
7/22/2011, 10:41 AM
I guess I could see that in a "trendy" part of town. I've never actually lived in Tulsa proper, why the hell would anyone do that?

Some of us like to be near cool stuff and not have to commute to work.

tator
7/22/2011, 10:42 AM
20 minutes is a commute?

DIB
7/22/2011, 10:45 AM
20 minutes is a commute?

To each their own. I just like being able to walk to work (when it isn't a thousand degrees) and being able to walk to various entertainment spots in downtown.

Hey chaut, how is that downtown grocery store coming along?

tator
7/22/2011, 10:49 AM
That would be cool, I agree.

soonerchk
7/22/2011, 10:50 AM
To each their own. I just like being able to walk to work (when it isn't a thousand degrees) and being able to walk to various entertainment spots in downtown.

Hey chaut, how is that downtown grocery store coming along?

It's on the schedule for right after the light rail

texaspokieokie
7/22/2011, 10:55 AM

are you sayin tulsa is more expensive than le jolla ??

i have friends that live near 71st & harvard (or maybe lewis) & it's a great neighborhood.

Boomer.....
7/22/2011, 10:57 AM
We lived in southeast Tulsa and loved it. There is anything you could want along 71st.

texaspokieokie
7/22/2011, 10:58 AM
wish i lived in tulsa !!!

mgsooner
7/22/2011, 11:00 AM
We lived in a "starter home" in Midtown up until last year. For our next home purchase we were prepared to pay what I feel like is a sum that should get you a pretty nice home in Tulsa. We wanted to stay in Midtown, and we searched for about two years for something we liked there. The prices were, quite frankly, ridiculous. For the amount we were able to pay it is absolutely absurd to have to purchase a home that you would literally have to gut every single room and start over. Eventually we gave up and purchased a home "out South" that we love for about $50K less than we would have paid for a complete turd in Midtown. By the way we looked and those houses were still on the market six months later and probably still are.

Position Limit
7/22/2011, 11:01 AM
20 minutes is a commute?

dude if your gonna live in this area of the state, it better be grand lake or midtown tulsa. otherwise, your a spectator. get over yourself. the outskirts are a dust bowl and jenks and south tulsa are a cultural wasteland sorely lacking identity. please. my point is midtown, and tulsa in general have lost reality with home prices.

Position Limit
7/22/2011, 11:03 AM
We lived in a "starter home" in Midtown up until last year. For our next home purchase we were prepared to pay what I feel like is a sum that should get you a pretty nice home in Tulsa. We wanted to stay in Midtown, and we searched for about two years for something we liked there. The prices were, quite frankly, ridiculous. For the amount we were able to pay it is absolutely absurd to have to purchase a home that you would literally have to gut every single room and start over. Eventually we gave up and purchased a home "out South" that we love for about $50K less than we would have paid for a complete turd in Midtown. By the way we looked and those houses were still on the market six months later and probably still are.

there is so much on the market right now. for sale signs as far as the eye can see. dont mention that to a realtor though, all is well according to them.

DIB
7/22/2011, 11:03 AM
We lived in southeast Tulsa and loved it. There is anything you could want along 71st.

71st street make me want to go on a shooting spree.

3rdgensooner
7/22/2011, 11:05 AM
We lived in southeast Tulsa and loved it. There is anything you could want along 71st.East of Yale, 71st street is a soul-sucking traffic jam.

Position Limit
7/22/2011, 11:05 AM

your joking right? i guess if TGI fridays and a shopping mall is anything you could ever want.

texaspokieokie
7/22/2011, 11:06 AM

try to stay away.

mgsooner
7/22/2011, 11:07 AM
I remember one home in particular we looked at in Midtown that was priced at 400K and it was a total gut job. It was just laughable. We basically told the realtor that and he indicated that the owners were severly upside down and that it was likely headed for foreclosure or bank sale.

DIB
7/22/2011, 11:10 AM
I remember one home in particular we looked at in Midtown that was priced at 400K and it was a total gut job. It was just laughable. We basically told the realtor that and he indicated that the owners were severly upside down and that it was likely headed for foreclosure or bank sale.

My brother just bought a house in midtown. It needs some work, but he got it on the cheap because it was a foreclosure. You just have to wait people out, I guess.

tator
7/22/2011, 11:13 AM
dude if your gonna live in this area of the state, it better be grand lake or midtown tulsa. otherwise, your a spectator. get over yourself. the outskirts are a dust bowl and jenks and south tulsa are a cultural wasteland sorely lacking identity. please. my point is midtown, and tulsa in general have lost reality with home prices.
If having to drive for 15 minutes to "participate" is being a spectator, then I guess you're correct. I don't follow the get over myself comment, I was just asking if you consider a short drive a "commute". I would argue that Tulsa prices in general are fine, but midtown/downtown prices have been ridiculous for a good 15 years or so.

Over-react much? :)

Position Limit
7/22/2011, 11:17 AM
"I guess I could see that in a "trendy" part of town. I've never actually lived in Tulsa proper, why the hell would anyone do that?"

that's what you wrote. more than just a commentary on a commute. who cares about a commute anyway? if the country is joy, then do your thing.

KantoSooner
7/22/2011, 11:17 AM
Osage County

I guess I'm a spectator. I go to Tulsa two or three times a month when there's something I want to do. Otherwise I stay out in the country, shooting this year's ungodly rabbit crop, drinking with friends and walking around pretty beautiful countryside.

mgsooner
7/22/2011, 11:18 AM
Given the choice, I would love to live in Midtown. If we could take our current home and magically move it there, I would. That being said, I haven't missed living there as much as I thought I would. We still do things there quite a bit, it just takes about 15 minutes to get there. That's not really worth overpaying for a sh*tty house, in my opinion.

sheepdogs
7/22/2011, 11:19 AM
Most of the "upper end" homes in Tulsa go for $200 to $300 per square foot and cost per square foot is the best method for pricing homes. At those prices it's easy for them to appear as being overpriced especially when the square footage totals 7k to 10k, while many homes in the area are generally priced in the $60 to $80/sq.ft. range which is very reasonable. Some of the newer neighborhoods that appear pricey include lots going for $150k to over $300k.

Boomer.....
7/22/2011, 11:21 AM

It can get brutal, especially around the holidays. I always took 81st.

Position Limit
7/22/2011, 11:22 AM
Osage County

I guess I'm a spectator. I go to Tulsa two or three times a month when there's something I want to do. Otherwise I stay out in the country, shooting this year's ungodly rabbit crop, drinking with friends and walking around pretty beautiful countryside.

seriously? it sounds like you reached critical mass for things to do in osage county. rabbit shooting and chuggin budwieser on lawn chairs with your buddies. nice. your a true renaissance man. i make it to osage every once in a moon to fish a pond. i like pawhuska.

mgsooner
7/22/2011, 11:23 AM
LMAO at $200 to $300 per square foot in Tulsa. That is ridiculous.

My Opinion Matters
7/22/2011, 11:23 AM
seriously? it sounds like you reached critical mass for things to do in osage county. rabbit shooting and chuggin budwieser on lawn chairs with your buddies. nice. your a true renaissance man. i make it to osage every once in a moon to fish a pond. i like pawhuska.

Dude, you live in Tulsa. Come on.

Position Limit
7/22/2011, 11:27 AM
Most of the "upper end" homes in Tulsa go for $200 to $300 per square foot and cost per square foot is the best method for pricing homes. At those prices it's easy for them to appear as being overpriced especially when the square footage totals 7k to 10k, while many homes in the area are generally priced in the $60 to $80/sq.ft. range which is very reasonable. Some of the newer neighborhoods that appear pricey include lots going for $150k to over $300k.

yes that's the math. i live down the street from the Tulsa Tennis Club and the homes for sale right now are trying to fetch those prices ($300 psf). it's insane. and these listings are getting stale. very stale. it's absurd. i would love it if they did go for these prices though.

mgsooner
7/22/2011, 11:29 AM
If someone pays $300 per square foot for a home in Tulsa they should just put that money in a barrel and set it on fire.

sheepdogs
7/22/2011, 11:33 AM
LMAO at $200 to $300 per square foot in Tulsa. That is ridiculous.

These homes fall within the "luxury" category and involve the finest stone and woodwork. If it ain't Travertine, which can run as much as $20/sq.ft before installation, then it's a no go and the same can be said for the other materials used. Throw in Faux paint, winding staircase, wiring for everything imaginable and a pool w/the associated pool house and landscaping that rivals Phillbrook and the costs build rapidly.

sheepdogs
7/22/2011, 11:38 AM
If someone pays $300 per square foot for a home in Tulsa they should just put that money in a barrel and set it on fire.

Take a look at the $9 miilion dollar home just south of 71st between Lewis and Harvard and you'll see what elegance costs. The house was built for Ed Taylor who used to own telco satellites used by the cable superstations then took his company public with the assistance of my father and then sold the company to the largest cable provider at the time. He made a killing during each step of the process. To check out the home just use the "mls" listing at Mcgraw Davisson Stewart's realty web site. And some do have money to burn!

mgsooner
7/22/2011, 11:38 AM
Okay well we're talking about the top 0.0001% of homes in Tulsa then. Even then if you're paying that high of a price per square foot it had better be your dream home, not something you plan on trying to sell in 5 years. Good luck with that.

mgsooner
7/22/2011, 11:41 AM
Didn't some dude in Tulsa build like a $12 mil mansion for his wife only to see her die shortly thereafter? He was so distraught he just decided to sell and the last I checked it was still on the market for $9 mil.

sheepdogs
7/22/2011, 11:45 AM
Didn't some dude in Tulsa build like a $12 mil mansion for his wife only to see her die shortly thereafter? He was so distraught he just decided to sell and the last I checked it was still on the market for $9 mil.

Mr. Taylor's home

http://my.mcgrawrealtors.com/searchidx/hometour/tour1.asp?teamagent=&mlsnbr=1109108&type=mcgraw

Position Limit
7/22/2011, 11:47 AM
These homes fall within the "luxury" category and involve the finest stone and woodwork. If it ain't Travertine, which can run as much as $20/sq.ft before installation, then it's a no go and the same can be said for the other materials used. Throw in Faux paint, winding staircase, wiring for everything imaginable and a pool w/the associated pool house and landscaping that rivals Phillbrook and the costs build rapidly.

overpriced garbage. all of it. we're talking about tulsa, oklahoma. not excatly a hotbed of destination enthusiasm. real estate has very little intrinsic value. availibility of mortgages inflate the price. and it's not just the "high end" homes in midtown. people are asking 250-300k for homes in florence park. FLORENCE PARK!!!!

My Opinion Matters
7/22/2011, 11:47 AM
Mr. Taylor's home

http://my.mcgrawrealtors.com/searchidx/hometour/tour1.asp?teamagent=&mlsnbr=1109108&type=mcgraw

Yeah, that house will never sell.

mgsooner
7/22/2011, 11:52 AM
That's a sad story but dude is going to take a bath on that. However if you've got the money to build a $12 mil house in the first place it probably doesn't matter to you.

sheepdogs
7/22/2011, 11:52 AM
overpriced garbage. all of it. we're talking about tulsa, oklahoma. not excatly a hotbed of destination enthusiasm. real estate has very little intrinsic value. availibility of mortgages inflate the price. and it's not just the "high end" homes in midtown. people are asking 250-300k for homes in florence park. FLORENCE PARK!!!!

A person's home is their castle regardless of location. Take into account that opulence has no bounds as each person tries to outdo their fellow compadres and the costs become astronomical. I'd rather pay these prices than come out of a jewlery store or art gallery with next to nothing in tote including a depleted bank account.

sheepdogs
7/22/2011, 11:53 AM
That's a sad story but dude is going to take a bath on that. However if you've got the money to build a $12 mil house in the first place it probably doesn't matter to you.

He made that in a single day and then some.

mgsooner
7/22/2011, 11:56 AM
Sheepdogs you must be a realtor.

sheepdogs
7/22/2011, 12:00 PM

There seems to be the added attraction to be close to the Utica Square/Phillbrook area which adds an enormous extra cost to the homes, which I don't see as being either prudent or necessary.

sheepdogs
7/22/2011, 12:04 PM
Sheepdogs you must be a realtor.

I'd rather be dead! I have always had an infinity for architecture like many do, and like to keep up on the newest trends for renovation purposes etc.

sooner ngintunr
7/22/2011, 12:06 PM
Dude, you live in Tulsa. Come on.

LOL.

JohnnyMack
7/22/2011, 12:09 PM
I grew up in midtown, lived in Brookside after I got back from OU and now live out south. Unless you're talking about certain neighborhoods, midtown is completely overrated as a place to live. Now for young single people midtown is great, as it affords access to things young people enjoy doing. I will say that the neighborhoods are so hit or miss in terms of how they're maintained it's frustrating. On streets in Brookside you can have a house that is a ****ty rental, occupied by meth heads two doors down from a nice fixer upper across the street from a new construction that some builder wants 800k for.

I think it's comical when people talk about location, location, location in a place like Tulsa. It's ****ing Tulsa. Who gives a ****? It's an easy town to get around in (avoiding the I-44 construction of course) and you can literally be from any two points in 20 minutes. I mean if money's no object sure it'd be lovely to have an old oil mansion in Midtown, but buying a fixer-upper in Midtown over new construction further south for location-sake in Tulsa is silly. Location to what?

Living out south works for us as we can have more room to raise the kids in. The neighborhood is quiet and the schools are good. Yes it's overly homogenized, but for my current situation it works.

As far as the original post goes, there are some real deals to be had in Tulsa, and there are some of these new constructions in midtown that are in fact ridiculous beyond belief.

Position Limit
7/22/2011, 12:09 PM
There seems to be the added attraction to be close to the Utica Square/Phillbrook area which adds an enormous extra cost to the homes, which I don't see as being either prudent or necessary.

i live just east of lewis about a mile from utica square, and my opinion is that the stuff for sale is grossly overpriced. but like i mentioned earlier, every where in this town is overpriced. a sea of for sale signs.

3rdgensooner
7/22/2011, 12:13 PM
I grew up in midtown, lived in Brookside after I got back from OU and now live out south. Unless you're talking about certain neighborhoods, midtown is completely overrated as a place to live. Now for young single people midtown is great, as it affords access to things young people enjoy doing. I will say that the neighborhoods are so hit or miss in terms of how they're maintained it's frustrating. On streets in Brookside you can have a house that is a ****ty rental, occupied by meth heads two doors down from a nice fixer upper across the street from a new construction that some builder wants 800k for.

I think it's comical when people talk about location, location, location in a place like Tulsa. It's ****ing Tulsa. Who gives a ****? It's an easy town to get around in (avoiding the I-44 construction of course) and you can literally be from any two points in 20 minutes. I mean if money's no object sure it'd be lovely to have an old oil mansion in Midtown, but buying a fixer-upper in Midtown over new construction further south for location-sake in Tulsa is silly. Location to what?

Living out south works for us as we can have more room to raise the kids in. The neighborhood is quiet and the schools are good. Yes it's overly homogenized, but for my current situation it works.

And all of that is a matter of opinion.

It's amazing how people can have so many different tastes and opinions.

But the reality is, mine is the only one that counts. So, it's probably time to close this thread.

JohnnyMack
7/22/2011, 12:33 PM
And all of that is a matter of opinion.

It's amazing how people can have so many different tastes and opinions.

But the reality is, mine is the only one that counts. So, it's probably time to close this thread.

You smell like farts.

3rdgensooner
7/22/2011, 12:35 PM
You smell like farts.I know you do, but what do I?

87sooner
7/22/2011, 12:39 PM
You smell like farts.

this whole thread smells like envy...with a touch of arrogance...

Barry's_Scowl
7/22/2011, 12:40 PM

As far as the original post goes, there are some real deals to be had in Tulsa, and there are some of these new constructions in midtown that are in fact ridiculous beyond belief.

Not to mention that nearly all of the new homes built in the "soulless south" aren't 40+ years old like may of the homes in midtown - so what they may lack in perceived "character", they make up for in energy star ratings, lower utility bills, and more efficient cooling. With a month of 100+ temperatures, that's a big deal.

I'm still laughing at the idea of a 20-minute "commute". Living in south Tulsa has never prevented me from taking part in any of the culture in Midtown or Downtown.

mgsooner
7/22/2011, 12:51 PM
First post!

OUMallen
7/22/2011, 12:56 PM
OKC prices are a bit inflated right now too.

87sooner
7/22/2011, 12:59 PM

i'm not familiar with la jolla.....but 15 years ago i was in the torrance/manhattan beach area.....i saw what a $million home looked like....
it looked like a $20k home i tore down to build the one i live in now...

IndySooner
7/22/2011, 12:59 PM
OKC prices are a bit inflated right now too.

OKC doesn't have as many "luxury" neighborhood as Tulsa, though. From what I can tell, the problem with Tulsa is that the oil industry used to be headquartered there, so there were a ton of people looking to build and buy luxury homes. Now that it's moved to Houston, there are a lot of luxury homes on the market and not enough luxury buyers to fill them.

We were over there the other day and were commenting on this very thing. TONS of beautiful houses on the market.

REDREX
7/22/2011, 01:48 PM
i own in midtown. no way in hell i could live out south. that stuff is worthless. souless misery..--I lived in Maple Ridge for 15 years---Brookside 5 years before that---Moved South 6 years ago---I don't think I would move back---Never thought I would say that

soonerchk
7/22/2011, 04:54 PM

We have the best football teams money can buy!!! How's THAT a cultural wasteland?

MR2-Sooner86
7/22/2011, 07:49 PM
If the price is right, big if, I think Owasso is probably one of the best places you can live in the Tulsa area.

If you bought something Downtown before they started killing off the crackheads seven years ago then you'd be making some money.

picasso
7/22/2011, 10:07 PM
If the price is right, big if, I think Owasso is probably one of the best places you can live in the Tulsa area.

If you bought something Downtown before they started killing off the crackheads seven years ago then you'd be making some money.

Meh. I'd move south before heading to Owasso. Although Stone Canyon is a bit of an interesting phenomenon.

sooner ngintunr
7/22/2011, 10:14 PM
Bixby>Owasso

:pop:

SoonerBread
7/22/2011, 10:25 PM
A suggestion - go to Skiatook Lake.

Sweet lake. Osage county taxes are low. Skiatook schools are not horrible when they're not bribing people. Country living, close to enough conveniences.

Get more for your money. Live rural.

My Opinion Matters
7/22/2011, 10:56 PM

It's a nice place to raise a family; but good lord do we have some terrible, generic, soul-killing chain restaurants here.

Okla-homey
7/23/2011, 07:55 AM

It's all about what's important to you. I like Bixby because I can drive 10 minutes north and be in the heart of things, or 5 minutes south and be in the country. It also happens to be much safer down here. The simple fact is, in midtown, home intrusions happen with far greater regularity. And the real estate in midtown is not a good value for the money.

BoomerSooner, esq.
7/23/2011, 08:44 AM
It's a nice place to raise a family; but good lord do we have some terrible, generic, soul-killing chain restaurants here.

I grew up in Owasso and now live in midtown. I told my wife that if we were going to raise kids, I like living in the Owasso/Collinsville area. But you are absolutely right, there are NO good local restaurants in Owasso. The lazy chain food restaurants have monopolized that place. The best part about living in middle of the city is the convenience to get downtown/cherry street/utica/brookside for the food and bars.

mgsooner
7/23/2011, 09:30 AM
It's all about what's important to you. I like Bixby because I can drive 10 minutes north and be in the heart of things, or 5 minutes south and be in the country. It also happens to be much safer down here. The simple fact is, in midtown, home intrusions happen with far greater regularity. And the real estate in midtown is not a good value for the money.

Honestly that is another big reason we moved South, the increasing crime. People in Midtown will roll their eyes at you when you say that, but the Rib Crib thing happened less than a mile from our previous home. Then the perps ran from the Rib Crib and shot someone that was just out in their yard. Hell I forgot the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market shootout which is VERY close to our previous home. I will say that appeared to be an extremely random act, not related to North Tulsa gangs.

Mjcpr
7/23/2011, 10:04 AM
The midtown homes are priced the way they are to keep the riff raff like y'all out.

And me.

:D

IB4OU2
7/25/2011, 04:04 PM
Honestly that is another big reason we moved South, the increasing crime. People in Midtown will roll their eyes at you when you say that, but the Rib Crib thing happened less than a mile from our previous home. Then the perps ran from the Rib Crib and shot someone that was just out in their yard. Hell I forgot the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market shootout which is VERY close to our previous home. I will say that appeared to be an extremely random act, not related to North Tulsa gangs.
:rolleyes: 17th and Yorktown here. ;)

badger
7/25/2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I think people are looking at their tax appraised value (which are usually appraised high so that the county gets more taxes, but of course) and then jack the price up above that when selling, thinking they can always lower it later or something.

The problem with this is that a foreclosure market is not a seller's market. So long as you aren't worried about a psycho ex-owner that lost their dream home due to layoffs, bad money management, divorce, etc., the foreclosures are where you're going to get your best buys.

jumperstop
7/25/2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I think people are looking at their tax appraised value (which are usually appraised high so that the county gets more taxes, but of course) and then jack the price up above that when selling, thinking they can always lower it later or something.

The problem with this is that a foreclosure market is not a seller's market. So long as you aren't worried about a psycho ex-owner that lost their dream home due to layoffs, bad money management, divorce, etc., the foreclosures are where you're going to get your best buys.

I just purchased a foreclosure in Moore. Got a great house for how much I paid. Most of the other houses I looked at just seemed overpriced compared to the two foreclosures I bid on.

NormanPride
7/25/2011, 05:58 PM
Should we pay off our smaller, cheaper home in 10 years or buy a bigger, more expensive home and pay it off in 20 - 30?

Mjcpr
7/25/2011, 06:00 PM
Should we pay off our smaller, cheaper home in 10 years or buy a bigger, more expensive home and pay it off in 20 - 30?

Bigger, more expensive in 20.

NormanPride
7/25/2011, 06:01 PM
Why do you say that?

Mjcpr
7/25/2011, 06:11 PM
Because ultimately, I assume you will want to upgrade your house, we always do eventually. And/or you will want to upsize if and when your family grows. If you are able to do this now, with rates at historic lows (I would THINK they surely have bottomed out) and this being a buyer's market, at least I think it is, then you would be ahead of the game to do it. Do it sooner rather than later and you will be on the road to getting it paid off.

Assuming you can afford to upgrade now, of course.

jumperstop
7/25/2011, 06:14 PM
Because ultimately, I assume you will want to upgrade your house, we always do eventually. And/or you will want to upsize if and when your family grows. If you are able to do this now, with rates at historic lows (I would THINK they surely have bottomed out) and this being a buyer's market, at least I think it is, then you would be ahead of the game to do it. Do it sooner rather than later and you will be on the road to getting it paid off.

Assuming you can afford to upgrade now, of course.

Great rates now. But I've heard that if the government shut down stuff happens they'll shoot up. I was more than happy to lock in my rate a week ago.

Mjcpr
7/25/2011, 06:17 PM
Great rates now. But I've heard that if the government shut down stuff happens they'll shoot up. I was more than happy to lock in my rate a week ago.

Could be. Thus my advice to do it while you can now with rates what they are. You can never predict what they'll be like in the future.

I refi'd mine last year and shaved 5 years off the note to 15 years and lowered my rate to 3.875%. I'm sure there are lower ones out there but I was happy with that.