PDA

View Full Version : ****ing click beetles

Fraggle145
7/21/2011, 11:47 PM
Down here at the Biostation my apartment is being overrun by click beetles. Usually its crickets, but even in previous years their abundances werent this high. I kill at least 20/day. And there are about 10-15 corpses that show up every day that I didnt kill. WTF? I keep it reasonably clean and stuff.

Anybody know any good ways to keep these sonsabitches out? They fly around and land on me when I'm in bed. I'm about to lose it!!!

SicEmBaylor
7/21/2011, 11:52 PM
I had a ladybug infestation a few years ago. I never could get rid of them eithet.

SoonerofAlabama
7/22/2011, 12:06 AM
Try these sites. May help.

http://www.homeandgardenideas.com/home-improvement/pest-control/extermination/dealing-click-beetles

http://www.greenthumbarticles.com/article/How-To-Kill-Japanese-Beetles-a2351.html

You could also try taping your windows or getting a screen. I have heard of another cure if they get past the tape around the windows is to line your walls around the windows with chalk. Apparently, bugs hate chalk (calcium carbonate) because the particles puncture their bodies if they cross the lines too fast. So, they cross the chalk lines very slowly but they usually die either while crossing or almost immediately after as the chalk dehydrates their bodies.

MamaMia
7/22/2011, 12:09 AM
Call an exterminator.

GKeeper316
7/22/2011, 12:32 AM
.44 automag.

SoonerofAlabama
7/22/2011, 01:15 AM
These things come out at night also so cut down on lights you use at night. These things also hide in places during winter and wait until spring to come out. So, check all the little nooks and crannies around the place. And for some of the smaller things, you can put them in the freezer if necessary to kill any larvae. The main thing is prevention, not dealing with the problem as it occurs. So, the best thing might be the exterminator before you do these things.

MR2-Sooner86
7/22/2011, 05:32 AM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/12/30/128751479585712889.jpg

hOUrricane
7/22/2011, 08:27 AM
Go sing karaoke to some Waylon at the dive down the road and get so drunk they won't wake you up.

OutlandTrophy
7/22/2011, 08:35 AM
wash your nasty ***

Ike
7/22/2011, 08:50 AM
Diazinon. Oh wait...I guess you can't technically use that anymore.

SoonerDude
7/22/2011, 08:55 AM
Down here at the Biostation my apartment is being overrun by click beetles. Usually its crickets, but even in previous years their abundances werent this high. I kill at least 20/day. And there are about 10-15 corpses that show up every day that I didnt kill. WTF? I keep it reasonably clean and stuff.

Anybody know any good ways to keep these sonsabitches out? They fly around and land on me when I'm in bed. I'm about to lose it!!!

Do you know Bruce Smith? I know he spends a lot of time down there at the bio station. I hope to be going down there in a few weeks for some Catfish Platter.

The
7/22/2011, 08:56 AM
Do you know Bruce Smith? I know he spends a lot of time down there at the bio station. I hope to be going down there in a few weeks for some Catfish Platter.

He was awesome at Buffalo.

SoonerDude
7/22/2011, 08:57 AM
He was awesome at Buffalo.

I know rite?

87sooner
7/22/2011, 09:09 AM
Diazinon. Oh wait...I guess you can't technically use that anymore.

can't use diazinon? since when?

the click beetles are most likely coming in around your door...
spray in front of your door with any type of spider/ant/cricket/bug killer...
you might have to respray every week or two...

Fraggle145
7/22/2011, 09:37 AM

Probably, the buildings are really old so they arent exactly a fortress to keep bugs out. I'll try that and see if it helps.

Fraggle145
7/22/2011, 09:38 AM

Yep I know Bruce. He's a really good guy!

Chuck Bao
7/22/2011, 12:54 PM

This seems like the best advice. Better yet, get OU to spring for more adequately sealing around the doors for the purpose of energy conservation.

But, if you want to go for the laugh factor, you can complain that the OU biological station is being overrun by bugs.

If you weren't married, I'd suggest that it would be a great thesis topic for a young co-ed to monitor the infestation in your bedroom.

soonermix
7/22/2011, 01:03 PM
start drinking...
heavily

JDMT
7/22/2011, 01:06 PM
start drinking...
heavily

^^^^^^^^THIS!!!

SoonerJack
7/22/2011, 06:09 PM
The summer before my junior year in high school at the bio station. There were like 8 or 10 of us high school kids that summer and man did we have a blast.

Is there still a massive snapping turtle in the holding tank by the cafeteria?

MR2-Sooner86
7/22/2011, 07:40 PM
Is it bad that when I first saw the title I thought it was "****ing clit beetles?"