PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing good with their garden this summer???

Shakadoodoo
7/21/2011, 05:50 PM
This summer has been terrible - so far I have gotten 4 cucumbers, a couple of Zucchinis, about 20 grape tomatoes, 2 eggplants, one tiny yellow squash..... My big boy and roma tomatoes have not grown at all (I see the flowers but they have yet to fruit) my green and red cabbage, lettuce, mustard, collard and turnip greens are burnt to hell, none of my herbs will grow, No black eyed peas, no green beans.... The meat has pulled away from the seed on my peaches and they are not sweet at all - about 5 tiny apples....

The only thing that has grown with any success is bell peppers, onions and okra!

I usually do really good - this is the worst summer in a long time.:mad:

delhalew
7/21/2011, 05:58 PM
I get several heads of romaine before they bolted. Got a ****load of squash and a few cantilope. Onions, garlic, peppers, and Okra are trash. Tomatoes are pathetic.

Hell, my basil wouldn't grow from seed. I thought basil could survive anything. I got some rosemary before it turned brown. I brought the thyme inside.

To ****ing hot.

I planted several varieties of hops...they didn't stand a chance.

OUHOMER
7/21/2011, 05:58 PM
Mine is dead. i can not keep enough water on it. I have given up already for this year. 40 tomatoes down the drain, 25 assorted pepper plants, etc

dead and gone

dwarthog
7/21/2011, 06:12 PM
My garden is on life support. Nothing from the tomatoes except a couple of very small ones.

About a half dozen squash/zucchini and I have some cantaloupe that may turn out, but I am not holding my breath.

Definitely not a good year for a garden.

OutlandTrophy
7/21/2011, 06:36 PM
I pulled the cages and mowed over what was left of my tomato, squash and pepper plants.

Just too tough when the dirt is 92+ degrees a foot down.

87sooner
7/21/2011, 06:38 PM
potatoes and broccoli were awesome.......i have never failed to raise these...

peppers look the same today as they did two months ago....plants haven't grown and not a single fruit set...

i have 2 of the most incredible zuchini plants i've ever grown....but the blooms just won't pollinate....i got a total of 1 squash..

cucumbers did well for about a week when i started pouring on the water....got a dozen or more....now they struggle to stay alive...

my tomatoes are sad....got a few pathetic small ones...

the beans were overrun with spider mites...

the only thing that's thriving is a cantaloupe...
i planted 3 hills and only one came up and it's growing like a weed....has dozens of blooms and a few fruit about the size of softballs.

and my 2500 acres of milo is just days from a total loss...

Peach Fuzz
7/21/2011, 06:44 PM
The prickly pear fruit are doing pretty good this year, got a whole yard full of them, sage brush is doing fine and the yucca are living it up

Sooner5030
7/21/2011, 06:51 PM
my onions died early.....too much rain in MO early on.

My grape and cherry tomatoes are rockin but my bigger and better boys are not doing so well.

corn is ok and some damn animal ate my cabbage and radishes.

olevetonahill
7/21/2011, 07:03 PM
Ya need to get em some shade from the hot part of the day.

I planted 8 mater plants and been giving maters away. Need to go pick a few more, Okra is blooming nicely.

It hadnt been doing to well cause I have it all set out in the open, I went and bough a tent type gazebo and put it over em . They are doing a lot better.

StoopTroup
7/21/2011, 07:06 PM
I had to bring the pumpkin in because it's so hot.

http://www.greenpacks.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/largest-halloween-pumpkin.jpg

Shakadoodoo
7/21/2011, 07:26 PM
Ya need to get em some shade from the hot part of the day.

I planted 8 mater plants and been giving maters away. Need to go pick a few more, Okra is blooming nicely.

It hadnt been doing to well cause I have it all set out in the open, I went and bough a tent type gazebo and put it over em . They are doing a lot better.

That's what's up!!! I am on my way to Lowe's right now!

olevetonahill
7/21/2011, 07:30 PM
That's what's up!!! I am on my way to Lowe's right now!

Yup. too dayum hot for the blooms to set.
I bot mine at Atwwods , it were on sale fer 25 bucks. Still cant believe those clever chinks can make something like that , Box it up ship it all the way to Poteau, America and sell it fer 25 bucks.

C&CDean
7/21/2011, 08:28 PM
I've been eating fresh maters every morning and night. Cherries, grapes, celebrities, and big boys. I pick ~5-6 big ones a day and a few of the small ones. We've got ours in the truck tires and they're doing OK. I've had some jalapenos, a few yellow/red bell peppers, but no habaneros, tomatillos, and momma's cilantro went belly up weeks ago.

Our neighbors have given us so much squash that we can't eat it all. Same with cukes and onions. I am eating cukes/tomatoes/onions in vinegar right this minute. Gooood stuff.

JohnnyMack
7/21/2011, 08:32 PM
momma's cilantro went belly up weeks ago.

Jesus Dean this is a family board.

GKeeper316
7/21/2011, 08:32 PM
the last tomato plant i had died 3 weeks ago.

olevetonahill
7/21/2011, 08:41 PM
Yup, I just picked 6 more, looks like Ill be havin maters for quite some time.:cool:

C&CDean
7/21/2011, 08:46 PM
Jesus Dean this is a family board.

You ever seen momma's cilantro? Dude, XXX.

Peach Fuzz
7/21/2011, 08:50 PM
Are tomatoes even native to OK?

I figured in the east, but out central/west?

monty
7/21/2011, 09:07 PM
Planted some burpee steak sandwich hybrid with high hopes, although i was a little late planting seed. By the time they were mature and producing (beginning of June) the temps sored to 100 and stayed there. I had about 10 tomatoes set, then stopped producing. They had seen natural rain only once in that time.

Cayenne, Hungarian wax & jalapenos are doing great, as well as the okra. I planted fall tomatoes about 2 weeks ago, maybe we'll get that bumper crop in a couple of months.

This was my first time trying hungarian wax. I picked a few yellow and i let some blush a little to have a taste test...they are absolutely great if you let them blush before picking. Went from tasteless to perfect heat for eating right of the plant.

reflector
7/21/2011, 09:08 PM
I can honestly say that I don't have a garden.

Memtig14
7/21/2011, 09:12 PM
Plants look great!

Not one bloom.

Not one single okra pod. Worst ever!

delhalew
7/21/2011, 10:05 PM
I forgot about potatoes. My golden potatoes were good...pretty hard to **** that up.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/21/2011, 10:07 PM
My tomatoes are just now peaking. Ate half dozen for lunch and then used some in a greek cucumber salad for dinner.

sooner59
7/21/2011, 11:23 PM
I'm in an apartment, so I just have herbs on the deck. However, my basil, rosemary, and thai basil are doing well. And they were very good in my spaghetti earlier as well.

Fraggle145
7/21/2011, 11:43 PM
I've been eating fresh maters every morning and night. Cherries, grapes, celebrities, and big boys. I pick ~5-6 big ones a day and a few of the small ones. We've got ours in the truck tires and they're doing OK. I've had some jalapenos, a few yellow/red bell peppers, but no habaneros, tomatillos, and momma's cilantro went belly up weeks ago.

Our neighbors have given us so much squash that we can't eat it all. Same with cukes and onions. I am eating cukes/tomatoes/onions in vinegar right this minute. Gooood stuff.

My squash is killing it too, but other than that I cant get anything to fruit. The tomatoes are rotting on the vine after a day or so of producing visible fruit. Cucumbers are starting to go well. Basil is doing okay, but keeps bolting. Some Jalapenos and Cayennes.

You doing anything else special to your tomatoes?

delhalew
7/22/2011, 12:15 AM
I'm in an apartment, so I just have herbs on the deck. However, my basil, rosemary, and thai basil are doing well. And they were very good in my spaghetti earlier as well.

This is the first time I've ever had Basil refuse to grow. I must have waited too late.

sooner59
7/22/2011, 12:18 AM
This is the first time I've ever had Basil refuse to grow. I must have waited too late.

Since we are averaging 103 degrees daily here in Tulsa, and since they are on my deck...I keep them near the building where they don't get much direct sunlight during the day. And I water them daily. Seems to work ok. I bought them at Lowes and just potted them myself. We have been clipping tons of herbs in the past month or so. Its actually growing really well.

C&CDean
7/22/2011, 07:17 AM
You doing anything else special to your tomatoes?

Nope. We planted them inside double-stacked truck tires, and used a mixture of river sand, mulch from the Norman compost place, and cow ****. We put leftover hay on top to hold the moisture. No weeding, takes less water, and so far so good. Of course it does look like redneck city, but at least the rows of tires are lined up perfectly straight.

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2011, 07:48 AM
Nope. We planted them inside double-stacked truck tires, and used a mixture of river sand, mulch from the Norman compost place, and cow ****. We put leftover hay on top to hold the moisture. No weeding, takes less water, and so far so good. Of course it does look like redneck city, but at least the rows of tires are lined up perfectly straight.

whitewalls showing or hidden?

olevetonahill
7/22/2011, 07:51 AM

Heh, you used tires fer yer maters I bot 2 ten foot long feed troughs for mine.

2 old truck tires for my cucumbers and cantaloupe :cool:

KantoSooner
7/22/2011, 08:15 AM
Herbs: Doing Great! Lemon grass, basil, sage, pineapple sage, dill, parsley. All in raised beds or barrels
Tomatoes: Big Boys: meh. Grape: producing like hell. Solar Fire: burned up, bastards. Patios: meh.
Cucumbers: 1 of 4 plants made it and is producing like a champ. 2-3 big ones every day.
Peppers: just really beginning and producing nicely.
Okra: going like hell.
Greens (chard, kale and mustard): best year in a while.
Eggplant: 1-2 a day

All in raised beds or barrels and this year I built in a soaker hose network that cover the whole damn thing (most godawful manifold system you'd ever want to see, but you just position the leakiest joints next to the cucumbers...
Also sprayed with the Bayer broad spectrum bug killer about week 7 to make chemical warfare on my friends, the spider mites (who ate my tomatoes last year).

...But Bartlesville has been luckier than most places in OK for rain this year and that's really been the difference.

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2011, 11:10 AM
My basil, mint and lemongrass is doing fine, my Anaheims are coming in but my Habanero notsomuch.

All containers on my patio...I water the carp outta them and they are hangin in there.

okieavatar
7/22/2011, 03:03 PM
I planted early in the year, mid-March, and I had a great crop of radishes and onions. The carrots turned out okay but stunted. The cauliflower plants looked GREAT and produced NOTHING. The yellow squash and zuchini plants looked great and produced NADA. Few puny roma tomatoes. My green peppers took a long time to grow and then I did get several peppers and then the heat caught up with them and I couldn't get enough water onto them...so I'm basically done with the garden this year...

GDC
7/22/2011, 08:52 PM
Everything's doing great, tomatoes, peppers, onions, okra, dipper gourds, squash, etc.