PDA

View Full Version : Trader Joe's open in KCMO...

Lott's Bandana
7/21/2011, 01:09 PM
Road trip!

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/07/15/3016293/trader-joes-fans-get-their-wish.html

There are devoted Trader Joe’s fans, such as the ones who camped out overnight after seeing “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” so they could be first in the doors of the Leawood store at 8 a.m. Friday.
Then there are really devoted fans, such as an Olathe woman who was able to delay the birth of her child so she could make the opening.
It’s been a long wait for Trader Joe’s fans who flocked Friday to the two new stores at Ward Parkway Center, 8600 Ward Parkway, and One Nineteen, 4201 W. 119th St.
About 100 shoppers waited for the doors to open at Ward Parkway, and about 300 early birds perched in Leawood. Parking was tight but available most of the day both places.
At the Leawood store, the first woman in line grabbed an item and checked out quickly so she could “officially” be the store’s first customer.
Katie Hendrickson of Brookside was the first in line at 3:30 a.m. at the Ward Parkway Center store. She brought her iPad, watched a little bit of a movie and talked to security personnel before other shoppers joined her about 4 a.m.
“I’m a little bit competitive,” Hendrickson said. “I’m thrilled that Trader Joe’s has finally come to Kansas City, and I wanted to be first."
As customers entered the stores, they were greeted by cheering and clapping employees who gave them high-fives and draped plastic leis over their shoulders. Some customers stopped to take photos with their cellphones or even handed strangers their cameras and posed in the perishables aisle as if they were visiting the Grand Canyon.
Anna Geilman has had a difficult pregnancy, so this winter her mantra was “if I can just make it until Trader Joe’s opens.” It would give her two things to celebrate — a healthy birth and the opening of one of her favorite stores.
When she went into early labor last month, the July 15th goal was utmost in her mind and her doctor also wanted the pregnancy to continue a little longer. With medications, she said she “waddled” down the aisles of the Leawood store Friday morning.
“I wouldn’t want anyone to think I put my baby at risk to have some really yummy snack food,” Geilman said. “This was my way of celebrating.”
Employees swarmed the store answering questions and then helping customers with overloaded baskets out to their cars. Customers also helped out, including one woman who pointed out the aisle with the store’s lone brand of ketchup.
“They only have one, but it’s the best,” she said.

Scott D
7/21/2011, 01:12 PM
I live 3 miles from one and I wouldn't shop there unless I was paid to.

Mississippi Sooner
7/21/2011, 01:17 PM
My step-son was assistant manager of one out in California. Like most any of those stores, Whole Foods etc., you just gotta watch what you buy. They have some stuff in there that is unique and worth the money, some stuff that you can get in equal quality for less money in other stores, and a few items that most everyone finds inedible.

Lott's Bandana
7/21/2011, 01:17 PM
I live 3 miles from one and I wouldn't shop there unless I was paid to.

I lived 3 blocks from one in Cali and loved it. I visited one in Seattle last week and brought lots of goodies home.

Lots of unique items and inexpensive, but perhaps it isn't everyone's cuppa tea.

Lott's Bandana
7/21/2011, 01:18 PM
My step-son was assistant manager of one out in California. Like most any of those stores, Whole Foods etc., you just gotta watch what you buy. They have some stuff in there that is unique and worth the money, some stuff that you can get in equal quality for less money in other stores, and a few items that most everyone finds inedible.

The chocolate-covered edemame is one of them.

:confused:

SoCaliSooner
7/21/2011, 01:19 PM
Some people really missed their calling as carnival workers...

The
7/21/2011, 01:19 PM
Some people really missed their calling as carnival workers...

There's just not enough carnivals these days.

Those people had to go somewhere.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/21/2011, 01:23 PM
Tomato w/ Red Peppers Soup is my favorite TJ product.

Their frozen breaded halibut fillets are perfect for easy fish tacos.

Their blister salted peanuts are the best peanuts.

KantoSooner
7/21/2011, 01:58 PM
The chocolate-covered edemame is one of them.

:confused:

This is quite possibly a crime against humanity, let me check.....

Yep, Ban Ki Moon just confirmed that coating edamame with anything other than salt and, perhaps, a tiny bit of red pepper, is worthy of being brought to The Hague on capital charges.

cantwait48
7/21/2011, 01:58 PM
Their frozen breaded halibut fillets are perfect for easy fish tacos. "
I will have to try those.
I like their peanut butter and I like to go their when I know I am going to be busy and not really wanting to do any real cooking for the week and get frozen stuff for easy meals. I shop there about once a month or two.