PDA

View Full Version : So Mack Brown just couldn't hand it off to Major Applewhite

JLEW1818
7/21/2011, 10:35 AM
I understand that horn fans love him b/c he was a great QB at their school. I understand he has some offensive coordinator experience? (maybe a year at Bama? Rice?)

I wonder what he thinks about Mack? Bringing in Harsin, sure he was the OC at Boise, but we all know who calls the real plays up there.

Partial Qualifier
7/21/2011, 10:37 AM
This should be interesting, considering Harsin appeared to be his 3rd or 4th choice

XingTheRubicon
7/21/2011, 10:38 AM
I hope they lose the rest of their games.

JLEW1818
7/21/2011, 10:39 AM
is it just me, or is Applewhite actually likable?

OUVarsityXV
7/21/2011, 10:39 AM
Applewhite was a great quarterback? Holiday bowl MVP and all lol.

JLEW1818
7/21/2011, 10:41 AM
Applewhite was a great quarterback? Holiday bowl MVP and all lol.

he had some great moments and wins

2000 RRS was not one of them though :D

Mad Dog Madsen
7/21/2011, 10:43 AM
is it just me, or is Applewhite actually likable?

Nope. It's just you... :D

LakeRat
7/21/2011, 10:44 AM
I can't believe that he is still around the program after being shunned by Mack for Chrissy.

I have alot of respect for him for not being the typical pouty kid. I sure hope he doesn't get the reigns. He is going to be a good coach.

badger
7/21/2011, 10:55 AM
People can pity Major Applewhite, because they probably all know what it was like to be overlooked in favor of their older sibling, their classmates, their peers, their co-workers, etc. Major Applewhites are the reason people scream that life isn't fair.

Major did everything right by Texas --- he stuck with the program even as an inferior quarterback took his starting spot and led them to RRS mediocrity and absolutely no conference or national championships. He left an offensive coordinator position in the almighty SEC to be an assistant (not even a top assistant) at Texas. And now, he still sticks with Texas, even as the head coach blames all coaches except himself and the top assistants are leaving, but yet Major gets no consideration for the top assistant position still.

Major will always be the bridesmaid, never the bride. Major will get praised by fans and Mack alike, but will never get back what he's always given to Texas.

Major is doomed, just like the rest of us.

Poor us :mack:

agoo758
7/21/2011, 11:16 AM
Applewhite, like Mccoy is very likable, but I also don't understand why he would stick around with a school that treated him so poorly. Maybe one day he and Heupal can work together! :)

SoonerNomad
7/21/2011, 11:22 AM
I like Major Applewhite. Always reminded me of little Opie Cunningham.

picasso
7/21/2011, 11:37 AM
I thought it was Applewood?

JLEW1818
7/21/2011, 11:39 AM
Badger,

Please start posting some funny pictures

badger
7/21/2011, 11:52 AM
Badger,

Please start posting some funny pictures

fiiiine

Mack decided that Major would play second fiddle to Chrissy:
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/215/235/MajorSimms_display_image.jpg

Mack decided that Major would play second fiddle to Boizzy:
http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/dynamic/00693/106786761BS001_693413c.jpg

The more he forces himself to flash Hook em, the more you know he secretly hates Texas:
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/legacy_images/burntorangenation/images/admin/majorbowl.jpg

After years of sideline duty, the transition to coaching was a natural one:
http://media.al.com/bamabeat/photo/applewhite-2-tex-ap-alcomjpg-e5bca5cd03cbb3cc_large.jpg

Guess who Mack's gonna blame for this loss:
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/112/692/105617680_display_image.jpg

Marshall Applewhite is not to be confused with Major Applewhite:
http://dante.ilt.columbia.edu/new/library/fda_class/inferno/condemned/cultleader.jpeg

You mean Bob lets Josh call the plays as co-offensive coordinator, but I don't?! Maaaaaaack... come oooooooon...
http://cache.comcorpusa.com/436/327/crop/kdbc.com/media/sports/1-10-11_brianharsin.jpg

In conclusion, getting sacked by OU feels sooooo much better than getting benched and overlooked by Mack Daddy.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/cfb.oklahoma.texas.rivalry/images/major-applewhite.1999.jpg

JLEW1818
7/21/2011, 12:51 PM
LOL

KantoSooner
7/21/2011, 01:14 PM
Just as an aside, would you name your child after a military rank? Major, Sergeant, Trooper, Scout etc.

How about Corporal Punishment Smith? Or Private Jones? Or maybe Airman Brown?

Or maybe the Major meant major as in 'large'.

I dunno, I just don't get the 'functional' name thing.

PalmBeachSooner
7/21/2011, 01:54 PM
Nope. It's just you... :D

^^^^
This to the nth degree.

PalmBeachSooner
7/21/2011, 01:57 PM
Just as an aside, would you name your child after a military rank? Major, Sergeant, Trooper, Scout etc.

How about Corporal Punishment Smith? Or Private Jones? Or maybe Airman Brown?

Or maybe the Major meant major as in 'large'.

I dunno, I just don't get the 'functional' name thing.

I know none of you young bastages have read Catch-22 but if you did you would know that one of the characters in the book was named Major Major Major. Oh, and he was a ******.

sappstuf
7/21/2011, 02:01 PM
This should be interesting, considering Harsin appeared to be his 3rd or 4th choice

5-7 choice..

BoomerJack
7/21/2011, 03:02 PM
Badger made some comments above about Applewhite and I have no big argument with any of them.

I think that maybe a lot of those comments could be said of Cale Gundy. 'Tho I'd be the first to say that Cale didn't have the same success as Applewhite.

It could just be that both of them like to live and work at their respective locales and for their respective programs. They probably could never feel comfortable anywhere else.

cleller
7/21/2011, 03:13 PM
If it were not for the taunting of Pee Wee Woods back in 1999 or so, I'd have to admit he seems an OK guy. I always thought it ironic he would single out the guy called "Pee Wee" to make himself feel big.
He did apologize, I guess, but I have a long animosity streak.

KantoSooner
7/21/2011, 03:14 PM
I know none of you young bastages have read Catch-22 but if you did you would know that one of the characters in the book was named Major Major Major. Oh, and he was a ******.

speak for yourself, boyo, I got an A from my hippy English teacher in 8th grade because I chose to write about 'Ice 9'.
<Once I figured that out, I went on to write a series of Vonnegut reviews that earned me a gentlemanly A- in the course, as I recall>

Salt City Sooner
7/21/2011, 04:20 PM
If it were not for the taunting of Pee Wee Woods back in 1999 or so, I'd have to admit he seems an OK guy. I always thought it ironic he would single out the guy called "Pee Wee" to make himself feel big.
He did apologize, I guess, but I have a long animosity streak.
Lord help me for defending a 'horn, but Pee Wee got in Opie's grill first. Should he have been the bigger man & just let it go? Maybe, but I find it hard to blame a guy who gets back in the face of a guy who just talked trash up close & then proceeded to not back it up.

badger
7/21/2011, 04:42 PM
Badger made some comments above about Applewhite and I have no big argument with any of them.

I think that maybe a lot of those comments could be said of Cale Gundy. 'Tho I'd be the first to say that Cale didn't have the same success as Applewhite.

It could just be that both of them like to live and work at their respective locales and for their respective programs. They probably could never feel comfortable anywhere else.

Cale seems to love what he's doing though - convicing the Adrian Petersons of the world to be a Sooner, etc. Mack just seems to be embarrassing Major, who was once Nick Saban's offensive coordinator at Alabama, mind you. Mack was reported as gushing about how wonderful a coach Major is... THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU MAKE HIM THE SOLE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR OR AT LEAST LET HIM CALL THE PLAYS?!

I can picture him doing the same thing when he was backup quarterback --- telling all of Major's teammates how wonderful Major is in practice and putting the team first and being a great quarterback... THEN WHY DON'T YOU LET HIM PLAY SOME MORE?!

Also, Bob was not Cale's coach at OU. Mack was Major's. Little bit o' difference with that.

rekamrettuB
7/21/2011, 08:07 PM
It is ironic that the player who was shunned for Chrissy loves and bleeds burnt orange and Chrissy and his family despise the program now.

BigTip
7/21/2011, 08:16 PM
5-7 choice..

:D :D