PDA

View Full Version : Beebe: Horn Network's plans on hold

mgsooner
7/20/2011, 09:12 PM
Plans to air high school games and plan to air a conference game are on hold

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20110720-big-12_s-beebe-says-longhorn-network-won_t-televise-hs-or-conference-games-until-issues-resolved-.ece

goingoneight
7/20/2011, 09:31 PM
Here he comes-- to save the day!!! :rolleyes:

goingoneight
7/20/2011, 09:32 PM
They were only going to show maybe 5-7 games this year, weren't they? :D

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2011, 09:33 PM
why dont they just create a big 12 network - focus on ALL the schools - put the channel in all the available markets and split the money

goingoneight
7/20/2011, 09:37 PM
Because Daddy Texas doesn't wanna share no more.

delhalew
7/20/2011, 10:03 PM
The NCAA bylaws prohibit any connection to recruits/recruiting by such a network. Jack Arute read the section aloud on the radio. until they drop the high school connection, they are SOL.

badger
7/20/2011, 10:37 PM

Maybe 28-21 games if the Big 12 allows them to :mack:

SoonerMom2
7/20/2011, 11:19 PM
So Beebe didn't know the NCAA rules. Mentioning recruits names by Mack Brown as being showcased on the network should be all the NCAA needs to put an end to the plans. How can Dodd be so stupid to think this wouldn't give them an advantage and Beebe so dumb to believe them. Why did Beebe give them a conference game -- does he expect the fans to buy access to the ** network.

Anyone want to bet that OU/A&M were the two major universities calling Beebe and telling what they thought. Noticed that Beebe dismissed A&M and OU moving to the SEC in the article but if he keeps this up with TX, I sure wouldn't want to bet it wouldn't happen. Both legislatures think they have the upper hand to keep A&M and ** together along with OU and OSU but I wouldn't bet on them beating Boren or the A&M President and their regents.

Thought Beebe was an idiot last summer and some things don't change. TX is being allowed to do what they want and for most part he goes along until someone reminds him it is not a good idea.

badger
7/21/2011, 07:51 AM
I am not sure who A&M's current prez is, but if Robert Gates returns, the Texas legislature is probably not going to be able to take him on.

David Boren has a keen way of persuading the other guys that what he wants is what they want, even if it's clearly what they do not want but just what Boren wants, hehe.

Gates and Boren dealt with federal politicians, which is what state politicians aspire to be. For many years. There will be no state legislature that will be able to derail their plans if that's what they truly want to do.

freshchris05
7/21/2011, 07:55 AM

http://amyladybug.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

badger
7/21/2011, 08:23 AM
I thought you all would enjoy a big thread on Shaggybevo.

Linky (http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/93310-Beebe-says-no-HS-games-on-LHN)

probably nsfw, thanks to their avatars and language, but fun reading. Hook em

WichitaSooner
7/21/2011, 08:28 AM
Because Daddy Texas doesn't wanna share no more.

Neither does OU... the main reason both OU and texas stayed in the big 12 is because the no other conference would let either school have their own network.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/21/2011, 08:58 AM
I say let them show games of their high school recruits. That way they can get a good view of their next generation of guys to lose to OU. I never understood this having your own network **** anyway. I mean seriously football can only cover like 3 to 4 hours a day. After that ****, who gives a **** about the Texas swim team. I mean I am proud of our gymnast but I am not going to sit and watch it for 3 hours either. Unless it's free, I will NEVER watch it, if it is free....I will still NEVER watch it.

LakeRat
7/21/2011, 09:38 AM
So Beebe didn't know the NCAA rules. Mentioning recruits names by Mack Brown as being showcased on the network should be all the NCAA needs to put an end to the plans. How can Dodd be so stupid to think this wouldn't give them an advantage and Beebe so dumb to believe them. Why did Beebe give them a conference game -- does he expect the fans to buy access to the ** network.

Anyone want to bet that OU/A&M were the two major universities calling Beebe and telling what they thought. Noticed that Beebe dismissed A&M and OU moving to the SEC in the article but if he keeps this up with TX, I sure wouldn't want to bet it wouldn't happen. Both legislatures think they have the upper hand to keep A&M and ** together along with OU and OSU but I wouldn't bet on them beating Boren or the A&M President and their regents.

Thought Beebe was an idiot last summer and some things don't change. TX is being allowed to do what they want and for most part he goes along until someone reminds him it is not a good idea.

I didn't see the recruiting issue till this article. I would think that Brown, the VP of their network, mentioning a future verbal commit would be a violation. I don't know the rules exactly, but I am pretty sure that a coach can't comment on recruits or commits till they actually sign. Or comment on kids who don't sign with you.

Maybe some recruiting people can shed some light on this subject?

Dio
7/21/2011, 10:09 AM
Wouldn't HS games on the TLN also be a nice quid pro quo for HS coaches who funnel their players to UT?

"Coach, your program produces more 4 & 5 star recruits than anybody. Make sure they come to Austin and we'll show your team 3-4 times a year. Let one slip to the Ags or dirt burglars and you get 1 game a year if you're lucky"

OR

"I don't know if we'll be able to put your team on our network next year, but if Johnny Bluechip signs with us we might be able to make it happen."

Augusta_Sooner
7/21/2011, 10:16 AM
Beebe was just pandering to Texas in order to keep them from bolting to another conference last year. Maybe he didn't know the rules, but if so, he should have done some research to see the potential impact the LHN would have on recruiting and potential NCAA violations. The V.P. of the LHN has already screwed up by mentioning a Texas recruit. Although Texas may not be guilty here, this is just one small sample of the problem(s) this network could cause. Texas is playing with fire if they want to show high school games on their network....big time potential for NCAA violations. I read somewhere that DeLoss Dodds said if the network televised a game with a Texas recruit, that all Texas Longhorn signs/symbols, etc. would be removed from the viewing audience. Ummm, just one problem with that, THE GAME IS STILL ON THE LONGHORN NETWORK! Does he think people are stupid enough to go along with that logic? Texas would still get added exposure for that recruit and leverage themselves for his comittment. If Texas is allowed to televise high school football games, every high school in Texas would ask to be showcased on the network. Why not? Everyone wants exposure, right? Of course, Texas would want assurances from certain recruits and coaches of premier high school programs that televising their games would somehow benefit Texas. This will lead to a conflict of interest as some high school coaches would funnel their players to Texas in return for televising their games.

101sooner
7/21/2011, 10:27 AM
I really don't care about a recruiting advantage. Same old story. The 'Horns can only sign 20-25 players a year anyway. That leaves a few hundred prospects in Texas alone to choose from. My problem with the deal is the NCAA rules disparity that this could cause. For example:

It's November and Bob Stoops goes to a basketball game. He accidentally bumps in to a football recruit. It's an NCAA violation.

The next Friday night, the LHN features a Texas High School game involving the same player. They interview the recruit and plaster his name all over the TV for 3 hours.

Screw that. They deserve probation for even THINKING about pulling this crap.

badger
7/21/2011, 10:31 AM
I created a poll! (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156647)

Soonerfan88
7/21/2011, 10:33 AM
I really like the spin they tried to use about ESPN making all the decisions and actually employing the network staff so it's not a violation. Umm, yes it is. It's the LONGHORN NETWORK produced at the UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS STUDIOS with their logo everywhere. Those network employees may officially be getting their paychecks from ESPN but they are now just as much a 'booster' of UT as Lyles is of Oregon.

OUNASH
7/21/2011, 10:40 AM
Maybe, Nebraska and Colorado werent so stupid after all. I wish OU would tell Texas and the Big12-2 to stick it.

NOVSooner
7/21/2011, 10:45 AM
heard an interesting point on the network today where one guy said texas is doing this to begin its journey toward being an independant. if it does well then it 3-5 years texas bolts and becomes an indy leaving OU, a/m, etc. on their own.

OU Adonis
7/21/2011, 10:52 AM
I hate riding TexASS's coat tails. I wish we would split and just schedule them OC every year.

Sooner Among The Pack
7/21/2011, 11:10 AM
What is interesting is that Beebe felt compelled to respond and discuss at all. Seems to me the rumblings are founded and aren't just some internet fad. I agree with one other poster...A&M may be serious, but I think we are bluffing.

soonerloyal
7/21/2011, 11:31 AM
"But...but...we're TEXAS..." :rolleyes:

Chuck Bao
7/21/2011, 03:16 PM
What is interesting is that Beebe felt compelled to respond and discuss at all. Seems to me the rumblings are founded and aren't just some internet fad. I agree with one other poster...A&M may be serious, but I think we are bluffing.

Agree and good post and spek.

My thoughts on it are:

1. TLN will just have to drop the whole idea of broadcasting high school football games. It wouldn't have been a bad gambit on a commercial basis to expand the potential viewership well beyond the UT faithful. But, there is the very tricky issue of NCAA rule violations and unfair advantage in recruiting.

2. Dodds and Beebe just make themselves look silly. Beebe has to be one of the worst conference commissioners ever. Backtracking now just makes him look so much worse.

3. They still haven't addressed the issue of a conference games being sold to TLN. I would be extremely mad if it is the Baylor game. You think that the TV announcers would be fair and unbiased in their comments?

4. The UT merchandising machine should just go back to cashing on selling bottled Bevo water or burnt orange underwear or electricity or whatever.

spanielboy
7/21/2011, 10:42 PM

From the Big12's webpage talking about Beebe,

Prior to his conference work, Beebe was a Director of Enforcement at the NCAA. He started at the NCAA in 1982 as an enforcement representative and was involved with numerous high-profile cases. That tenure was interrupted by a one-year stint as an Assistant Director of Athletics at Wichita State University in 1986 before he returned to the NCAA office where he earned his Director of Enforcement promotion in 1988.

Beebe was part of the team to investigate the SMU scandal that landed the Ponies with the death penalty.

SoonerMom2
7/21/2011, 11:06 PM
Was the UT network the reason that OSU had to go to Austin again and we had to go to Stillwater again. Looks like UT is unaffected by the new schedules. Why? Did they do the new schedule to benefit Texas? Looks to me like Beebe is in their hip pocket and only taking action because they got caught.

SEC Commissioner said they have a clause in their TV contract if they would add two schools that it will be renogiated. I don't think OU is bluffing this time and may be about to the end of their rope with TX and Beebe along with the Big 12. Why should OU and A&M wait around for TX to go indy which they have been wanting to do for years so they don't have to win a conference championship to get to a BCS Bowl or the National Championship.