PDA

View Full Version : SEC Commish Proposes Sweeping Changes for NCAA

Sabanball
7/20/2011, 02:01 PM
At SEC Media Days today in Bham, Mike Slive has proposed multi-year schollies, raising GPA requirement from 2.0 to 2.5, changes to freshman eligibility, and reforming rules that apply to recruiting, such as by eliminating the 'bump' rule.

Personally, I was disappointed. I think he's basically bending over for the Jim Delaneys and other Big 10 "oversigning" cry babies everywhere. But it will be interesting to see if any of this comes to pass and is ultimately adopted by the NCAA. My guess is that at least some of it will be.

CatfishSooner
7/20/2011, 02:06 PM
what is the 'bump' rule?

fadada1
7/20/2011, 02:08 PM
2.5 in the SEC to maintain eligibility?????

apparently he doesn't enjoy SEC football

Sabanball
7/20/2011, 02:09 PM
what is the 'bump' rule?

Nick Saban 'bumping' into Barry Sanders at his high school during an official no contact period.;)

SoonerAtKU
7/20/2011, 02:22 PM
Yes, all of that WOULD make it harder for Saban to skirt the rules. I can see why that might be an issue.

badger
7/20/2011, 02:48 PM
If I recall correctly, Steve Spurrier complained once that the one of his recruits met NCAA requirements for grades, but not USC (that's South Carolina from here on out --- eff you Southern Cal) requirements.

Perhaps many SEC school requirements are already 2.5 GPA and this is just to raise all standards to that level? The SEC does have some good schools in it, regardless of what the coastal elitists would like to portray the south as :mad:

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2011, 03:24 PM
If I recall correctly, Steve Spurrier complained once that the one of his recruits met NCAA requirements for grades, but not USC (that's South Carolina from here on out --- eff you Southern Cal) requirements.

Perhaps many SEC school requirements are already 2.5 GPA and this is just to raise all standards to that level? The SEC does have some good schools in it, regardless of what the coastal elitists would like to portray the south as :mad:

Werd.

Vandy in the SEC is like Norman High's school colors. Just wrong.

NormanPride
7/20/2011, 03:38 PM
Kick vandy out, get OU and A&M in. Drop admission req's to "chew gum and walk, not at same time" and have at it.

Sabanball
7/20/2011, 06:06 PM
Kick vandy out, get OU and A&M in. Drop admission req's to "chew gum and walk, not at same time" and have at it.

Lol...I agree, but Vandy, as a founding/charter member of the SEC, will never be expelled.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/20/2011, 06:24 PM

This happens more in the juco ranks than high school though. Quarters schools have a HUGE advantage when it comes to getting juco's qualified.

goingoneight
7/20/2011, 07:07 PM
I'm sorry, but these kids who skate by grade-wise because they've always had a piece of *** to do their homework for them have no one to blame but themselves if they don't meet the academic requirements to play football. I have little to no sympathy for the bulk of them who just don't want to go to class or want to cheat their way through it all when they've already got so much handed to them (scholarship, etc).

This won't magically dethrone the SEC supremacy, but it will dramatically change things here or there. If you don't think a guy or two being suspended here or there makes a difference, look at the 2008 Fiesta Bowl.

fadada1
7/21/2011, 02:01 PM

The SEC has 2 good schools in it - Vandy and UF. The rest are just expensive, overgrown community colleges fronting as institutions of higher education.