PDA

View Full Version : Realignment Talk Blowing Up Again- Aggies Starting It

htownsooner7
7/20/2011, 01:58 PM
It appears as though this Longhorn Network thing might have been the last straw. Word is that the ATM regents meeting will be about the network but also about whether ATM can freely leave the Big 12 if it decides to pull the trigger. Among the issues are whether the Big 12 and Beebe are in breach of contract with how everything (promises of 20 million, penalties assessed against NU and CU) shook out. The Texags guy said he wouldn't be surprised if within months ATM announces that it is out of the conference and that his sense is that the aggie powers that be are leaning more towards leaving than they ever were before. How do you think everything will play out?

htownsooner7
7/20/2011, 02:00 PM
Here is the link. http://v4.texags.com/Stories/2411

CatfishSooner
7/20/2011, 02:07 PM
where would they go?

XingTheRubicon
7/20/2011, 02:10 PM
Texas A&M, Nebraska, Colorado, Arkansas, Houston, TCU, and Missouri are all wrong/misguided with their negative assessment of UT.

Texas is actually a very nice and humble athletic department that likes to be accomadating and supportive of its' conference mates.

Sabanball
7/20/2011, 02:12 PM
It may not happen this year, but TAMU is on their way out of the Big 12, and they will be coming to the SEC. With the new tv deals starting to come out, our conference badly wants a footprint in the Houston/DFW markets. This would do that and create /renew a rivalry for the league with Arkansas.

htownsooner7
7/20/2011, 02:17 PM
It is incredibly shocking and disappointing if the Big 12 signed off on letting the longhorn network buy a big 12 game from fox without letting the other schools know. Could you imagine being a OSU or Tech fan and have to purchase a subscription to the longhorn network to watch your team play the horns. How could the commissioner of the conference not notify the other schools that it was considering such a deal? If this really happened, it is terrible.

XingTheRubicon
7/20/2011, 02:18 PM
It may not happen this year, but TAMU is on their way out of the Big 12, and they will be coming to the SEC. With the new tv deals starting to come out, our conference badly wants a footprint in the Houston/DFW markets.

That has some scary ramifications for UT and OU. Mainly UT. Bringing the Floridas and Alabamas to texas every year will expose texas recruits to the SEC powers. It could kill TT and OSU.

jumperstop
7/20/2011, 02:18 PM
It may not happen this year, but TAMU is on their way out of the Big 12, and they will be coming to the SEC. With the new tv deals starting to come out, our conference badly wants a footprint in the Houston/DFW markets. This would do that and create /renew a rivalry for the league with Arkansas.

Moving to the SEC would be hard to OU...aTm will be no better than a middle of the road team for years to come.

TheUnnamedSooner
7/20/2011, 02:20 PM
That was a terrible article.

htownsooner7
7/20/2011, 02:22 PM
You would have to go to a playoff if OU joined the SEC. It's hard enough now to go undefeated through the SEC. Add in OU who is preseason number 1 (or 2) and played for 4 NCs in the last 10 years and it becomes damn near impossible.

Sabanball
7/20/2011, 02:23 PM
Moving to the SEC would be hard to OU...aTm will be no better than a middle of the road team for years to come.

OU will not be coming to the SEC. OU/T**as/Okie State are bound together, and whatever becomes of the Big 12 I dont see those programs ever separating, for multiple reasons that we all talked about last year. However, TAMU is a different story. With them, I know longer think it's a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN, they will bolt and join the SEC.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/20/2011, 02:29 PM
OU will not be coming to the SEC. OU/T**as/Okie State are bound together, and whatever becomes of the Big 12 I dont see those programs ever separating, for multiple reasons that we all talked about last year. However, TAMU is a different story. With them, I know longer think it's a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN, they will bolt and join the SEC.

If not OU (which I agree does not make sense for OU), then who do you think is #14? Clemson, FSU, Miami?

Or... does the SEC just make the mega conference leap and take all three of those to go to 16 teams. It would lock down the entire FL TV market for the SEC (not counting the snowbird Big 10 following.)

Fraggle145
7/20/2011, 02:31 PM
You would have to go to a playoff if OU joined the SEC. It's hard enough now to go undefeated through the SEC. Add in OU who is preseason number 1 (or 2) and played for 4 NCs in the last 10 years and it becomes damn near impossible.

Add OU to the SEC and lets just have our own MNC for the SEC conf. Screw everyone else.

mgsooner
7/20/2011, 02:32 PM
http://media3.texags.com/0008238-cvrv-640x360.jpg

OUMallen
7/20/2011, 02:43 PM
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2599/soonho.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/soonho.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Sabanball
7/20/2011, 02:44 PM
If not OU (which I agree does not make sense for OU), then who do you think is #14? Clemson, FSU, Miami?
Or... does the SEC just make the mega conference leap and take all three of those to go to 16 teams. It would lock down the entire FL TV market for the SEC (not counting the snowbird Big 10 following.)

Clemson or Va Tech.

LakeRat
7/20/2011, 02:48 PM
Why Clemson? They already have South carolina.

Sabanball
7/20/2011, 02:50 PM
Why Clemson? They already have South carolina.

Process of elimination of other schools.

htownsooner7
7/20/2011, 02:55 PM
Does anyone know if ATM will get hit with a monetary penalty if they choose to leave?

jumperstop
7/20/2011, 02:59 PM
Does anyone know if ATM will get hit with a monetary penalty if they choose to leave?

I would assume so.

Sabanball
7/20/2011, 03:06 PM
By remaining in the Big 12, TAMU is helping subsidize and support the rise of Texas and their Longhorn network. Again, don't look for them to be around there much longer.

mgsooner
7/20/2011, 03:08 PM
By remaining in the Big 12, TAMU is helping subsidize and support the rise of Texas and their Longhorn network. Again, don't look for them to be around there much longer.

I AM DEFINITIVE STATEMENT MAN. ALL KNEEL BEFORE MY DEFINITIVE STATEMENTS.

tfoolry
7/20/2011, 03:10 PM
It's all gamesmanship; no diff. than what's going on right now on Capitol Hill regarding the Debt Ceiling. I don't see aTm,*, oSu and OU splitting up anytime soon.

Sabanball
7/20/2011, 03:16 PM
It's all gamesmanship; no diff. than what's going on right now on Capitol Hill regarding the Debt Ceiling. I don't see aTm,*, oSu and OU splitting up anytime soon.

I'm sure the other 6 weak sisters in your conference are hoping you are right.

htownsooner7
7/20/2011, 03:27 PM
I don't think this is posturing, I think we hear by next summer that ATM is gone. It was bound to happen anyway, but UT has been so aggressive that it is really forcing the action.

madillsoonerfan5353
7/20/2011, 03:39 PM
I think we should have packed up our toys and went west.
:gary:

htownsooner7
7/20/2011, 03:53 PM
Apparently Texas has wonderful intentions and gains no advantage at all. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6787513/texas-seeks-calm-big-12-rivals-concerns-longhorn-network

jumperstop
7/20/2011, 03:59 PM
Apparently Texas has wonderful intentions and gains no advantage at all. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6787513/texas-seeks-calm-big-12-rivals-concerns-longhorn-network

"We do not want to use it as a recruiting advantage. We don't want it tied to Texas," Dodds said. "ESPN knows we don't want to violate any NCAA rules and they don't want to."

Whether or not they want it, that's what it'll do. ****ing retards....If they don't want it "tied to Texas" then maybe don't put it on the ****ing Longwhorn Network...

Sooner_Tuf
7/20/2011, 04:01 PM
I'm amazed on how many people can see the future on this issue. The Aggies don't even know what they want yet so many others do.

silverwheels
7/20/2011, 04:03 PM
All I know is the Texas Aggies are a bunch of idiots. For many, many reasons.

ouboomer1
7/20/2011, 04:04 PM
The key here is stability, this summer its the Longhorn network, what will it be next summer? How can there be conference stability with Texas acting like this each year, looking to do something that only benefits them? If I was Joe C i would be at my wits end of dealing with this crap.

htownsooner7
7/20/2011, 04:13 PM
Whether or not they want it, that's what it'll do. ****ing retards....If they don't want it "tied to Texas" then maybe don't put it on the ****ing Longwhorn Network...

They are laughing their asses off internally about this. How could Dodds even make that statement with a straight face?

NorCal Sooner
7/20/2011, 04:15 PM
I don't care if it's posturing by A&M or not. At least they have the balls to rock the boat. UT does what they want without consideration of others in the conference. OU should have went to the Pac-10 when it had the chance and left Texas in a Sh!t conference.

EatLeadCommie
7/20/2011, 04:19 PM
When I was in College Station for the aTm-OU game last year, I was told by somebody with ties to the aTm athletic department that the realignment talk was not over and that aTm would be revisiting it "next summer," which means now. They hope to bring OU, but I don't see it happening.

Clemson is probably not a realistic option. The SEC wants to expand into recruiting markets it doesn't already have a foothold in.

soonervegas
7/20/2011, 04:30 PM
I really don't think Texas is the lynch pin for OU staying in the Big 12 it is OSU. I think the writing is on the wall for Texas and going at it independent at some point. Is there a conference out there that will take both? Apparently, the SEC said "No" last year.

OSU is certaintly helpnig the situation with their recent surge in football prowess and facilities.

htownsooner7
7/20/2011, 04:36 PM
Sounds like we are pretty pissed about UT as well. It's getting interesting. http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-07-20/oklahoma-texas-am-may-look-at-moving-to-sec-because-of-texas-tv-network

LASooner
7/20/2011, 05:45 PM
http://media3.texags.com/0008238-cvrv-640x360.jpg

"Could I love him more?"

Sabanball
7/20/2011, 05:56 PM
I really don't think Texas is the lynch pin for OU staying in the Big 12 it is OSU. I think the writing is on the wall for Texas and going at it independent at some point. Is there a conference out there that will take both? Apparently, the SEC said "No" last year.

OSU is certaintly helpnig the situation with their recent surge in football prowess and facilities.

I agree about OSU. You guys are going to continue to play T**as every year regardless of conference affliliations. It's well known that the SEC extended invites to you guys and TAMU last year. Are they still both good? I'd say so, but the SEC would not take Okie State under any circumstances.

LASooner
7/20/2011, 06:22 PM
IF OU did join the SEC at least we wouldn't have to play an SEC team in the BCS title game. :)

soonercoop1
7/20/2011, 06:23 PM
Should have left Texass to blow in the wind like they were before WE saved them from the defunct SW Conference....

JLEW1818
7/20/2011, 06:42 PM
Aggies would never win over 8 games in the SEC

goingoneight
7/20/2011, 06:48 PM
It is incredibly shocking and disappointing if... could you imagine being a OSU fan? ...it is terrible.

I don't know what all your post said, but this is what I got out of it. :D

goingoneight
7/20/2011, 06:56 PM
I bet Beebe still believes 1) the conference is just fine without two of it's name programs and 2) we'll do just fine without the aggy money. :rolleyes:

I wasn't one who believed all this talk last summer til it happened, but I have been sold ever since that the BIG 12 is dying fast. Wait til OU or TX gets left out of an MNC game because of this foolishness.

That said, let's say OU and A&M join the SEC. How in the hell would a team stand a chance at an unbeaten run? Hell, even a 1-loss year hope is a stretch. Especially since you KNOW neither OU nor aTm hate Tx enough to drop that annual rivalry game (cash cow). OUr best chance to land in something good was last summer and someone honestly believed this conference would be fine the way it is. As it stands, it's national perception is the WAC, with two or three elite programs beating up on WAC-level competition.

ouboomer1
7/20/2011, 07:04 PM
I bet Beebe still believes 1) the conference is just fine without two of it's name programs and 2) we'll do just fine without the aggy money. :rolleyes:

I wasn't one who believed all this talk last summer til it happened, but I have been sold ever since that the BIG 12 is dying fast. Wait til OU or TX gets left out of an MNC game because of this foolishness.

That said, let's say OU and A&M join the SEC. How in the hell would a team stand a chance at an unbeaten run? Hell, even a 1-loss year hope is a stretch. Especially since you KNOW neither OU nor aTm hate Tx enough to drop that annual rivalry game (cash cow). OUr best chance to land in something good was last summer and someone honestly believed this conference would be fine the way it is. As it stands, it's national perception is the WAC, with two or three elite programs beating up on WAC-level competition.

I think if conferences contiunue to expand nobody is going to think a 2 loss or even 3 loss SEC cannot win a national title. At that point it may force a playoff of some kind.

usaosooner
7/20/2011, 07:15 PM
SEC West

OU
A&M
Arkansas
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Vandy

SEC East
Bama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
S.Car
Kentucky
Tennessee

lets make this happen

tommieharris91
7/20/2011, 07:33 PM
It is incredibly shocking and disappointing if the Big 12 signed off on letting the longhorn network buy a big 12 game from fox without letting the other schools know. Could you imagine being a OSU or Tech fan and have to purchase a subscription to the longhorn network to watch your team play the horns. How could the commissioner of the conference not notify the other schools that it was considering such a deal? If this really happened, it is terrible.

OSU has to do that this year.

fwsooner22
7/20/2011, 07:51 PM
sabanball - The teams that are most closely tied in the entire county are ** and A&M. You don't know your Texas legislative history if you don't realize that. I hope I am wrong but I bet I'm right. They will NEVER separate those two.

texaspokieokie
7/20/2011, 07:52 PM
I'm amazed on how many people can see the future on this issue. The Aggies don't even know what they want yet so many others do.

it's always like that !!!!:rolleyes:

tcrb
7/20/2011, 08:22 PM
I agree. In the long run it was a huge mistake to offer them shelter from the **** storm they were in.

LASooner
7/20/2011, 08:25 PM
SEC West

OU
A&M
Arkansas
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Vandy

SEC East
Bama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
S.Car
Kentucky
Tennessee

lets make this happen

In.

pb4ou
7/20/2011, 08:26 PM
SEC West

OU
A&M
Arkansas
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Vandy

SEC East
Bama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
S.Car
Kentucky
Tennessee

lets make this happen

I wouldn't mind that :pop:

goingoneight
7/20/2011, 10:06 PM
I know OU fans travel well; but traveling to Florida and South Carolina is a little tougher than making it to Dallas for the RRS or a couple games in Kansas every now and then. All the money grubbers will have to take that into consideration also.

BoomerSooner3
7/20/2011, 10:21 PM
4 pod 4 team system

Pod 1:

OU, A&M, OSU, Texas Tech

Pod 2:

LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss. St.

Pod 3:

Bama, AU, Tenn., Vandy

Pod 4:

UF, UGA, UK, USC

Each team plays the teams in the their pod every year and the 4 teams from another pod for 7 total conference games. The 2 groups of pods that play each other form faux divisions and the best record from each faux division meet in the conference championship game.

This method allows for OU to keep the Texas game because it won't be too overwhelmed with SEC games, keeps historic rivalries protected within the conference, and creates more in-conference scheduling diversity.

goingoneight
7/20/2011, 10:28 PM
If not for the BCS, you could just go back to old fashioned football. 2 or 3 loss season be damned. Play the best, beat the best, earn the right to contend, then play for a championship. It's kinda how... you know... sports work.

oulucas
7/20/2011, 10:42 PM
SEC West

OU
A&M
Arkansas
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Vandy

SEC East
Bama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
S.Car
Kentucky
Tennessee

lets make this happen

If this happened, our division would be about the same as it is now:

OU = OU
A&M = A&M
Arkansas = Okie State
LSU = tejas
Ole Miss = Tech/Baylor
Mississippi State=Tech/Baylor
Vandy= Baylor

What would be REALLY difficult is that the other division wouldn't be such a pushover like the Big 12 North has been.

Eielson
7/20/2011, 10:55 PM

If that is the case, why didn't the SEC go after TCU?

SoonerMom2
7/20/2011, 11:22 PM
sabanball - The teams that are most closely tied in the entire county are ** and A&M. You don't know your Texas legislative history if you don't realize that. I hope I am wrong but I bet I'm right. They will NEVER separate those two.

Remember that the Texas Governor Rick Perry is a graduate of A&M and was a yell leader for the Aggies. Where do you think his loyalties lie -- it sure isn't with the liberal UT! :) His two kids are A&M grads as well!

Texas_Longhorn
7/21/2011, 12:25 AM
Rick Perry's son, Griffin, went to Vanderbilt, not aggyland, but his daughter, Sydney, did attend aggy.

And as far as Rick not being a fan of UT, he dons the burnt orange and throws up his Hook'em whenever UT wins a national championship. He has attended celebrations for our football and 2 baseball national championships.

rainiersooner
7/21/2011, 01:07 AM
Rick Perry's son, Griffin, went to Vanderbilt, not aggyland, but his daughter, Sydney, did attend aggy.

And as far as Rick not being a fan of UT, he dons the burnt orange and throws up his Hook'em whenever UT wins a national championship. He has attended celebrations for our football and 2 baseball national championships.

Uh, because he is a scumbag politician??

Canyonero
7/21/2011, 01:10 AM
he dons the burnt orange and throws up his Hook'em whenever UT wins a national championship

If he is a true aggie, I bet he dies a little on the inside every time too.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/21/2011, 01:26 AM
If we go to the SEC...our schedule should look like this Texas, E. Popcorn St. Southeastern Okla St., Grambling...SEC schedule...

usaosooner
7/21/2011, 04:09 AM
If we go to the SEC...our schedule should look like this Texas, E. Popcorn St. Southeastern Okla St., Grambling...SEC schedule...

lol lot of truth to that

thecynic
7/21/2011, 07:30 AM
I have a friend in the Dallas media here's what he sent in an email yesterday
take it for what it's worth

By now I'm assuming that you've heard ATM is having a Board of Regents meeting tomorrow to discuss the Longhorn Network and the SEC. I personally have no sources with Aggie ties and most of the DFW media today was focused on the NFL lockout. I can tell you that A&M sources are telling us and other media members that several of their biggest donors have said they won't donate another penny until ATM announces they are joining the SEC. The constant barrage of nauseating Longhorn Network promos on ESPN and the high school football games controversy has become the final straw. There is a rumor that A&M and Clemson join the SEC tomorrow. I don't know for sure what will happen tomorrow but nothing would surprise me. No matter what happens, I believe the official implosion of the Big 12-2 starts tomorrow.

Muno
7/21/2011, 08:29 AM
I live in Austin and Chip Brown does a radio show in the morning. If you recall he was the guy with all the inside scoop on the realignment stuff last year. He mentioned a couple of interesting items on this:

*Sources saying that OU has been in talks with the the SEC over the past few weeks ever since it was announced that the Longhorn Network announced the second big 12 game.
*Big 12 members felt blindsided about adding the second game since there was never any mention of it during TV negotiations. Conference members feel like Texas pulled a fast one and a lot of trust has been lost.
*Texas is panicking a bit now that word is getting out that A&M and OU are negotiating with the SEC. UT will be offering some revenue sharing from the Longhorn Network for schools that appear on it to try and calm the waters.
*He also had a guy on who covers the business side of sports from CNBC who said he doesn't think the Longhorn Network can be financially viable long-term at the price ESPN paid unless they add a lot of non-UT content. He also said not showing high school games on the network is a big blow.

Peach Fuzz
7/21/2011, 08:33 AM
fat, I mean FAAAAAAT chance UT shares revenue...

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/21/2011, 08:39 AM
If I was the Texas schools, I would force Mack's boys to go independent and then never EVAR schedule them again. If they want to play in the state of Texas, it should be a home game basically.

IndySooner
7/21/2011, 08:59 AM
I've said all along that I think there's no doubt the major conferences are going to 16. If you think the Big 10 is done, you're mistaken. The ACC, Big 10, SEC and Pac 10 will continue expansion.

I thought originally that we would stay with Texas. The way it sounds, they might have screwed that one up. I would love moving to the SEC, and there's no reason the SEC couldn't take OU, OSU, A&M and one other school (Clemson, FSU or VaTech would be perfect fits).

delhalew
7/21/2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah. Texas just keeps pushing. They have to know everyone will get sick of it.

thecynic
7/21/2011, 09:04 AM
AM leaving the big 12 really doesn't fix the problem of Texas having their own network. If they leave they will still be mad about that and may have less exposure in their own state. I'm not saying they aren't going I have no idea, but at first glance I don't know how it really helps them.

Mac94
7/21/2011, 09:10 AM
Especially since you KNOW neither OU nor aTm hate Tx enough to drop that annual rivalry game (cash cow).

Speaking as one A&M fan ... there are a number of Aggies that now really wish we do go SEC and never play them again .... don't want to have anything to do with t.u. At one time that seemed so silly to even thinnk about ... but with bonfire offically gone (yes, we still have a student non sanctioned bonfire) and all that's happened ... there is a sizable segment of our fan base that will be happy to sever ties with the Horns.

We hade two historic rivals in the SEC in Arkansas and LSU as well as a long off the field history with Bama ... think Fran, Stalling, and "Bear" Bryant. It would be tough there .... at first we would be another Mississippi St. in terms of on the field performance but in the long run there would be a huge potnetial ... but at huge risk. And that is the interesting situation.

The Big-12(-2) is an easier conferecne ... we can do well in this conference right now ... but long term how viable is it and with ESPN backing t.u. over the longhaul is the long term prospects for any of us all that good in the staut quo. Yes, the Horns may be baking off the second confernce game and HS football for the time being ... but ESPN is in this for the long haul and they need that type of stuff to make their $300 million investment worthwhile ... its just a matter of time here. So in the short term this conference would be better for us but the long term is very shacky.

In the SEC we'd get our butts kicked in the short run ... but the conference offers long term stability and being the only SEC Texas team would allow us to really brand ourselves in the long run.

I don;t expect much out of tonight's BOR meeting ... government entities don't move that fast ... but I can see us going East in time .... and tonight might be the first real steps in that direction since the possibility of A&M in the SEC began in 1994.

JohnnyMack
7/21/2011, 09:18 AM
Texas wins. They used the threat of leaving for the Big 10 as bait to get exactly what they wanted which was their own TV network. Once it's fully operational I expect that they, along with OU, OSU and a yet to be named team will in fact join the PAC-12, making it the PAC-16. Texas will have its cake and eat it too.

soonervegas
7/21/2011, 09:36 AM
I think Texas is thinking more independent.....long term. (Which I think they can pull off due to population and prestige)

My question is what is our angle?

IndySooner
7/21/2011, 09:43 AM
I think Texas is thinking more independent.....long term. (Which I think they can pull off due to population and prestige)

I'm telling you, long term, independent won't be an option. The Big 10, Pac 10, SEC and ACC are all talking expansion. It's going to force a playoff. Is Texas going to play by itself? They probably think they can, but all the money and prestige in the world means nothing if you're not qualified to play for championships.

texaspokieokie
7/21/2011, 09:45 AM
I'm telling you, long term, independent won't be an option. The Big 10, Pac 10, SEC and ACC are all talking expansion. It's going to force a playoff. Is Texas going to play by itself? They probably think they can, but all the money and prestige in the world means nothing if you're not qualified to play for championships.

how's this gonna force a playoff ???

OUMallen
7/21/2011, 09:47 AM
Speaking as one A&M fan ... there are a number of Aggies that now really wish we do go SEC and never play them again .... don't want to have anything to do with t.u. At one time that seemed so silly to even thinnk about ... but with bonfire offically gone (yes, we still have a student non sanctioned bonfire) and all that's happened ... there is a sizable segment of our fan base that will be happy to sever ties with the Horns.

We hade two historic rivals in the SEC in Arkansas and LSU as well as a long off the field history with Bama ... think Fran, Stalling, and "Bear" Bryant. It would be tough there .... at first we would be another Mississippi St. in terms of on the field performance but in the long run there would be a huge potnetial ... but at huge risk. And that is the interesting situation.

What's the huge risk? You'd still be in the SEC making money. You act like A&M has done diddly in the last decade.

htownsooner7
7/21/2011, 09:47 AM
Anyone able to comment on just how pissed we are about this and whether we are in any discussions (even preliminary) with the SEC? I started this thread when ATM's discord became so apparent. I've now picked up nuggets from several different sources (not sure how rocksolid the sources are) that OU is in the middle of this and is making noise about leaving.

Mac94
7/21/2011, 09:52 AM
The risk is long term middle of the road or worse status ... not that we've bene much lately ... but we seem to be getting better ... may be able ot compete in the Big-12(-2) ..... prob not so much in the SEC right now.

As for Texas Independence ... that would be interesiting ... how do they play that hand ... they'd still have to get a 12 game schedule and how many major teams will line up to have the big game aired on the LHN? If you're Bama, Ohio St, Notre Dame, etc wouold be be willing to have the game in Austin aired on a subscription based network alot of your fans wont have?

JohnnyMack
7/21/2011, 09:56 AM
As for Texas Independence ... that would be interesiting ... how do they play that hand ... they'd still have to get a 12 game schedule and how many major teams will line up to have the big game aired on the LHN? If you're Bama, Ohio St, Notre Dame, etc wouold be be willing to have the game in Austin aired on a subscription based network alot of your fans wont have?

Something tells me those whores in Bristol would air the big Texas games on ABC/ESPN and let Texas have all the ****ty non-con games on its LHN.

Soonerfan88
7/21/2011, 10:00 AM

I disagree. The only reason Notre Dame can be independent (football only) is because they were never in a conference and have long-standing rivalries with the teams they do play. Even they are feeling the pressure to join a conference. BYU has created their own network and gone independent but they don't have the same revenue stream & expectations to maintain as Texas does. I also think BYU did this to better position themselves for future realignment. Bevo doesn't really compare to either situation.

There is going to be a lot of acrimony over this breakup. Texas will not find it as easy to schedule a full season because many of their nearby & traditional opponents will refuse to work with them, at least for the first decade or so. The directional schools are already demanding a lot of money so how much are they going to ask for when there is more pressure to fill that slot? Texas may have prestige in this area of the country due to their size, but it's not enough to be a national independent team.

NormanPride
7/21/2011, 10:07 AM
Texas will be fine no matter what because of the ****load of money they have. We need to secure our recruiting bases by keeping the A&M and Texas games alive. We have been trying to cut into both the Cali and SEC recruiting territories over the past few years, and I think that has set us up well to follow either A&M to the SEC or Texas to the Pac-whatever.

We need to jettison OSU. They are dead weight.

Sabanball
7/21/2011, 10:28 AM
Here's a good read on the subject from the Sporting News. Looks like both OU AND TAMU are now in play....

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-07-20/oklahoma-texas-am-may-look-at-moving-to-sec-because-of-texas-tv-network

NormanPride
7/21/2011, 10:58 AM
A&M may actually be looking, but I imagine we are bluffing to try and get a piece of the pie.

SoonerMarkVA
7/21/2011, 11:24 AM
A&M may actually be looking, but I imagine we are bluffing to try and get a piece of the pie.

If we're truly going to attach ourselves at the hip with OSU, then we are definitely bluffing since the SEC already laughed off the idea of letting Pork U into the conference when the iron was very hot last year.

Look, I'm all for looking out for little brother, big picture. Give it the college try to get the SEC to lower their standards and let 'em in. It's good for Oklahoma and it keeps the political factions at peace. But, if push comes to shove, I seriously hope OU does what's best for OU first and cuts little brother loose if it's sink or swim.

thecynic
7/21/2011, 11:26 AM
From osu's perspective it actually could be better for them athletically. Whatever smaller conference they go to, they will more than likely have the best facilities and athletic budget. It may be the easier way for them to get to a bcs bowl. (got this from an osu hardliner)

picasso
7/21/2011, 11:32 AM
I say we go wherever aTm doesn't.

saucysoonergal
7/21/2011, 11:33 AM
I say we go wherever aTm doesn't.

I agree with Pic. Those guys are WEIRD!!!

Mac94
7/21/2011, 12:21 PM
Those guys are WEIRD!!!

Yer thinking Austin ... there's a reason the common motto in this town is "Keep Austin Weird" ;)

OUchemE
7/21/2011, 12:27 PM
Moving to the SEC is a mistake, the PAC-1X is the future. Recruiting texas, arizona and california would make us quite formidable.

Sabanball
7/21/2011, 12:34 PM

I think you're right, and my prediction all along has basically been this--

Oklahoma will never leave Texas's side. That was proven last year. The only way it happens is if Texas decides to go Independent. If OU decides they can't swing it at that point, they MAY join the SEC. But even then, I think its more likely they go west to the Pac 12 with Oklahoma State.

Basically, everything from this point is predicated on what Texas does.

delhalew
7/21/2011, 12:44 PM
I think you're right, and my prediction all along has basically been this--

Oklahoma will never leave Texas's side. That was proven last year. The only way it happens is if Texas decides to go Independent. If OU decides they can't swing it at that point, they MAY join the SEC. But even then, I think its more likely they go west to the Pac 12 with Oklahoma State.

Basically, everything from this point is predicated on what Texas does.

You shouldn't deal in absolutes. For that reason, I have to disagree. We don't NEED to share a conference with Texas, but I would be reticent to leave little brother twisting.

OUVarsityXV
7/21/2011, 12:47 PM
Moving to the SEC is a mistake, the PAC-1X is the future. Recruiting texas, arizona and california would make us quite formidable.

Right you are. Fertile grounds out there.

Soonermagik
7/21/2011, 12:47 PM
I could see OU leaving the Big 12 soon. In fact, the local sports guys believe the Big 12 will fail soon.

Since football is king, every major conference will court OU. Obviously, Texas has a bigger market, but they may go independent. OU won't allow the whorns to put High School games on their network. A&M is a paper tiger and only have value due to the size of market they are in.

The SEC will open their arms for OU & A&M if the super conference talk is seriously rehashed. OU vs Bama would be quite a draw. Plus, adding Texas and Oklahoma would add a lot of viewers. Thus, this would increase the amount of money the SEC could charge networks.

Partial Qualifier
7/21/2011, 12:48 PM
Here's a good read on the subject from the Sporting News. Looks like both OU AND TAMU are now in play....

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-07-20/oklahoma-texas-am-may-look-at-moving-to-sec-because-of-texas-tv-network

From that article:

A source told Sporting News on Wednesday that both Texas A&M and Oklahoma are so concerned about rival Texas gaining a recruiting advantage with the newly formed Longhorn Network, the two institutions could turn to the SEC if the problems can’t be figured out.

Bullcrap. The only "source" who would say something like that is some dooshbag poster on texags.net. OU's brass knew the details of the LHN long ago. They're all for it.

All this story amounts to is a bunch of whiny A&M fans doing what they've always done: crying about Big Brother.

soonervegas
7/21/2011, 12:51 PM
OU isn't going anywhere without little brother...that makes this simple problem, complex.

We can dream, but it's not reality....

Sabanball
7/21/2011, 01:30 PM
OU isn't going anywhere without little brother...that makes this simple problem, complex.

Pretty much my thoughts too.

While I agree that you guys would compete for and win SEC championships, OU would be an add-on to an existing business model. The allure of moving out west to build a completely new conference, be associated with a part of the country that's more in tune socially and culturally with your state, capitalize on the Phoenix and Cali tv markets, and not have to worry about dealing with the okie state conundrum will, I predict, simply be too much to resist for your administration once this all shakes out. AM is the only school from your conference, realistically, that I see coming east.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/21/2011, 01:38 PM
I say we go to Conference USA...it is the most patriotic move we can make!

delhalew
7/21/2011, 01:39 PM
I agree.

Pokie has as good a program as the bottom four of the SEC. You will end up at 16.

If you want the Sooners, you take their slow little brother.

IndySooner
7/21/2011, 01:43 PM
From that article:

Bullcrap. The only "source" who would say something like that is some dooshbag poster on texags.net. OU's brass knew the details of the LHN long ago. They're all for it.

All this story amounts to is a bunch of whiny A&M fans doing what they've always done: crying about Big Brother.

Just FYI, there's some truth to this. No doubt about it. I've heard on a few different sides that there's truth to it.

Partial Qualifier
7/21/2011, 01:55 PM
Truth to what?

Truth to A&M fans & administration whining about it? No doubt about it.

Truth about OU wanting to bolt to the SEC because they don't like the sound of this Longhorn Network? Negative, ghostrider.

The TV exec who said the stuff about Jonathan Gray this and potential Texas recruits that, yeah he screwed up and created a small PR mess for the Texas administration. But I promise you, there is no knee-jerk reactions or teeth-gnashing going on in OU's administration over this deal. Nor should there be.

TheUnnamedSooner
7/21/2011, 01:58 PM
nm

IndySooner
7/21/2011, 02:01 PM
Truth to what?

Truth to A&M fans & administration whining about it? No doubt about it.

Truth about OU wanting to bolt to the SEC because they don't like the sound of this Longhorn Network? Negative, ghostrider.

The TV exec who said the stuff about Jonathan Gray this and potential Texas recruits that, yeah he screwed up and created a small PR mess for the Texas administration. But I promise you, there is no knee-jerk reactions or teeth-gnashing going on in OU's administration over this deal. Nor should there be.

It's not a knee-jerk reaction. It's a reaction to the way it is going down and it's been in the work for a month or more. Texas has been underhanded in its dealings. OU has been prepared for it. Behind the scenes, OU is exploring options. Everything is on the table. There have been talks with the SEC. Do I think anything will come of it this minute? Nah. Do I think the Big XII lasts beyond 2013. Nah.

Sabanball
7/21/2011, 02:01 PM
Pokie has as good a program as the bottom four of the SEC. You will end up at 16.

Ain't gonna happen. In terms of an eastern counterweight being added, you can cross Miami off the SEC's list....

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/124322/MIAMI-NOT-INTERESTED-IN-SEC-LOOKS-TO-BIG-EAST-AND-ACC.html

TheUnnamedSooner
7/21/2011, 02:04 PM
"We want to play by the rules," Dodds said. "We want everything to be in the open with integrity."

LMAO.... as long as the rules are in your favor Dodds... if not then change them.

delhalew
7/21/2011, 02:08 PM

Ain't gonna happen. In terms of an eastern counterweight being added, you can cross Miami off the SEC's list....

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/124322/MIAMI-NOT-INTERESTED-IN-SEC-LOOKS-TO-BIG-EAST-AND-ACC.html

Lmao. I'm not convinced.

Dio
7/21/2011, 02:34 PM

Old article is old:
Published: Thursday, Sept. 27, 1990 12:00 a.m. MDT

Mississippi Sooner
7/21/2011, 02:35 PM
Hell, that article predates the internet.

Partial Qualifier
7/21/2011, 02:36 PM
Old article is old:

Observant metal rocker is observant

JohnnyMack
7/21/2011, 02:53 PM
Observant metal rocker is observant

You misspelled dead.

silverwheels
7/21/2011, 03:46 PM
Too soon, man.

The
7/21/2011, 03:52 PM
You misspelled dead.
http://i30.tinypic.com/358v1ms.jpg

SoonerMom2
7/21/2011, 03:59 PM

People say that we to stay with OSU need to think back to OSU fawning all over Texas for saving the Big 12 like OU and Boren had no say. Do you think that didn't rankle Pres Boren? Don't think OU expected to have to go to OSU to play again this year so this could be nearing the final straw. If the SEC said they won't take OSU, then you could see our Board of Regents and Boren fighting the legislature tooth and nail. Believe there is a reason that Clay Bennett was named to the Board of Regents besides being married to a sister of the Gaylord Family. Don't see how a law would be legal to make both schools stay together. The legislature and the Governor can threaten, fume, and whatever, but in the end my money is on Boren and the OU Board of Regents.

Thought Bebee was an idiot last summer but his bowing to TX makes him even more of one. They should have fired him last summer but Dodd had him in his back pocket.

SoonerMom2
7/21/2011, 04:02 PM
I agree with Pic. Those guys are WEIRD!!!

Weird is TX and extremely liberal. Why don't you try taking a bunch of band kids to competition and see them all turn around to watch the gays making out standing up back of the seating of the bands and loving every minute of the kids turning around. The cops told some band directors including ours there is nothing they could do.

49r
7/21/2011, 04:07 PM
...watch the gays making out standing up back of the seating of the bands and loving every minute of the kids turning around...

http://www.ssbrittana.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/brittany_huh.gif

Lott's Bandana
7/21/2011, 04:39 PM
I don't think Joe C and David B have given this much thought lately, and this is more about beat reporters and aTm trying to give Whorn a big-ole papercut for all the shenanagins they are always trying to pull. It's mid-July and there isn't much else to write about.

I heard an interesting interview fairly recently with the OU Asst. AD (can't remember his name) who made some great points about the advantages of the BigXII in travel and recruiting...advantages that would have been nullified with a move to the Pac10. I presume this also applies to the SEC. He made some good points about BigXII geography and driveability in the Heartland.

Joe C is as much a politician as David B and they both have stated that they feel the BigXII is viable and that Whorn's powerplays can be matched, at least to a degree that OU isn't going to hold the short stick.

The ties to Stoolwater are not just through our own Regents, but also straight from T. Boone's wallet, right to Austin. He builds buildings for them too and he won't let lil' aggy get left behind.

All in all, it is an interesting topic and because I am so sick of whorn that the idea of dumping them and beginning a hatred of Arky or LSshU is fun to think about.

Muno
7/21/2011, 04:47 PM
It's not a knee-jerk reaction. It's a reaction to the way it is going down and it's been in the work for a month or more. Texas has been underhanded in its dealings. OU has been prepared for it. Behind the scenes, OU is exploring options. Everything is on the table. There have been talks with the SEC. Do I think anything will come of it this minute? Nah. Do I think the Big XII lasts beyond 2013. Nah.

Yep it's called contingency planning. Strong capable leadership is going to prepare for the worst. UT had communicated that they would be adding one tier 3 game and non-football related Longhorn content to the network. Now we find out they are planning to add HS football and a second big 12 conference game possibly involving OSU. This was never even mentioned when the tv deal was discussed. OU officials feel blindsided and have no choice but to examine other options. I also agree that nothing likely comes from it but I can't imagine the Big 12 lasting more than 5 years.

By the way it's clear as to why ESPN is pushing to add the second game, HS football, etc. They have a $300 million investment in this partnership with UT and nobody is committing at this time to carry the network. My guess is without getting Directv and Dish Network on board this thing isn't going to be financially viable.

soonerboomer93
7/21/2011, 05:04 PM
****, they don't even have comcast in houston on board.

As I recall it took quite a while for Big10 network to get commitments.

Oh, and the worse thing is that ESPN licensing is already one of the most expensive "basic" channels.

SoonerMom2
7/21/2011, 06:39 PM
If A&M and Oklahoma join the SEC, the individual networks are probably off the table, but they'll be a part of a conference that has deals with CBS and ESPN already in place. Slive said there are clauses in both contracts that allow the SEC to renegotiate should membership change. The markets both Oklahoma and A&M bring would greatly add to the exposure of the conference and warrant a much bigger television deal. Moreover, with greater reach, the SEC could easily start thinking about its own network similar to the Big Ten and Pac-12. That is from Yahoo sports!

Every major sports outlet has the story and with the SEC Commissioner off handly adding to the rumors who knows. One thing is certain -- A&M and OU are not happy with UT or the Big 12 Commissioner. A&M is the one who asked the NCAA about televising high school football games. A bunch of reports say 'sources' have had contacts from the SEC with the two schools. Think both are totally fed up with Dodds and TX. Wouldn't be shocked to see TX go independent in the next few years if this network gets off the ground.

Most of the stories center around A&M and OU having a contingency plan in place.

FtwTxSooner
7/21/2011, 07:27 PM
STATEMENT FROM TEXAS A&M DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS BILL BYRNE IN RESPONSE TO QUESTIONS RAISED BY MEDIA REGARDING THE LONGHORN TELEVISION NETWORK:

“I have continued to have concerns about the Longhorn Network since the original announcement by ESPN and Texas. Since last summer, the Big 12 member institutions have committed to work together in a spirit of unity and equality. Recent news reports concerning this network; however, have created a considerable amount of uncertainty.

We had an agreement in place that Big 12 members would have the right to one non-conference football game and four to six basketball games for third tier, or institutional rights. The concept of the Longhorn Network broadcasting two live football games -- with one of these being a conference game -- had not been discussed among the Big 12 athletic directors.

Our concerns were heightened further when news reports surfaced that the Longhorn Network would be broadcasting high school football games featuring Texas high school recruits, including recruits living outside the state of Texas. Knowing how restrictive NCAA rules are regarding any collegiate representative contacting prospects, we contacted the NCAA for an interpretation. We are still waiting for the NCAA's response.

I have continued to communicate our concerns to the conference office and my fellow athletic directors. We are pleased that the Commissioner has started to address these concerns, but many questions remain. These are significant issues for all of collegiate athletics as they relate to broadcast rights, revenue distribution and the recruitment of student-athletes.”

Just the arrogance of thinking they could get away with it.....

Sabanball
7/21/2011, 07:47 PM
I'm more convinced than ever that TAMU is as good as gone--not this year of course, but sometime soon. Looks like OU want to keeps its options open, but I really think that you guys end up in a new version of the PAC 12-14-16. Again, no way the SEC will take TB Pickens U, that would be a deal-breaker.

AlboSooner
7/21/2011, 07:50 PM
lets go to the sec

htownsooner7
7/21/2011, 08:18 PM
What would have to happen to abandon the pokies?

Peach Fuzz
7/21/2011, 08:41 PM
after reading all this ****, I'm more pissed off at OSU than anyone... best learn they place

LASooner
7/21/2011, 08:56 PM
Just the arrogance of thinking they could get away with it.....

http://youtu.be/4B93BoC9ylg?t=2m10s

SoonerMom2
7/21/2011, 09:02 PM
ESPN is reporting in an email: ESPN NCAAF - Big 12 is limiting games and content that can be shown on ESPN's network devoted to Univ. of Texas

Wonder if UT will get mad and go independent? Sounds like A&M and OU have made Bebee very nervous. Where has he been for the last month when TX has been doing this?

spanielboy
7/21/2011, 10:21 PM

Several thoughts.

Dan Beebe and his office signed off on the deal to add the second game on the LHN. Beebe is part of the problem in that his loyalties seem to lie with Texas' fortune. The other school programs found out about the second game in an ESPN bulletin - not from the Beebe administration and not from the AD office in Austin.

What will OSU and Texas Tech really have to say when Texas lays down the law to them? These two schools are more than happy to ride the coattails to be invited to the party., especially when there was talk of joining the PAC10 last summer. Their share of revenue has gone up considerably to what they were getting, and they are probably scared of what lies ahead if they were to stake a place in either CUSA or Mountain West Conference.

A rumor is going around, may be it is sound from an echo-chamber, but it would be interesting to see if it is true or not. Then again, the conference football game between Texas and either OSU or Tech was a rumor too at one time. The question is whether who gets to televise the various Big12 championship games -- some talk is saying the various championship games (both men and women's) may get shown on LHN since there is really no Big12 television package to highlight these games. That would really stink if it were true. ESPN is in a bind to make money off this business deal with Texas, and they are not going to do so if they have to show either repeats of The Mack Brown Show or their earlier games from 1960's up to the 2010 football campaign season.

Texas A&M may have a tie to OU and Texas to be in the same conference, but it ain't so about OSU. The ability of OSU to continue to be a part of the party is because of their connection to OU and Texas; OU because of your state dynamics, and Texas because they helped to negotiate for them to get more money by the new teevee deal. A&M may help with the conference unity line, but the Aggies would pull Baylor along to a new conference before they would for OSU. That is not meant in a negative comment, but rather there is a bond between the two that just does not exist with the Pokes.

There was a question earlier to why TCU was not asked to join the SEC if the DFW and Houston markets were so valuable? TCU, as much success as they have had over the last few years and applications to enroll in the school has increased ten-fold this year alone, cannot deliver anything outside of Fort Worth; and even in Fort Worth, the problems for them are the various professional sports teams and the bigger schools (OU, Texas, Texas A&M) get more air time than the Frogs do. This has always been true and one of the reasons why TCU was not invited to join the Big12 way back when. A&M captures the Houston market, and is able to deliver a lot in the DFW, Austin, and San Antonio markets -- the only collegiate program to match them for the Texas markets, and exceed them, are the Horns.

Even if disaster is averted this time around and the conference were remain intact, when (not if) will the next crisis come around? It would be surprising if there was anything more than posturing right now, but the milestone to really watch for in June 2012 if there will be a shift in the conferences.

ouwasp
7/21/2011, 11:27 PM
Random thoughts...

Kinda wish the Pac-16 thing would have worked out last yr.

If only OU could divorce themselves from all teams orange.

Beebe excels only at keeping his job intact.

spanielboy
7/22/2011, 08:12 AM
The Chip Brown PR piece is now starting to be used again by the Texas staff. More news breaking info to be published about the latest expansionpolloza, of course with a certain spin to the news. :pop:

TheHumanAlphabet
7/22/2011, 09:18 AM
Aggies are so stupid that they would leave just to prove a point and in spite of themselves...

soonerbub
7/22/2011, 09:40 AM
Let em go--we could bring in the

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_T-FFN65m_bg/SUsHoyCtrBI/AAAAAAAAF5Q/cslCReBYxQA/s320/helmet.jpg

that way texass could get a new rival and be bowl eligible at the same time :texan:

hangin a hunnerd on Coker's *** yearly would be fun too

texaspokieokie
7/22/2011, 09:44 AM
what you got against Coker ???

Eielson
7/22/2011, 11:11 AM
There was a question earlier to why TCU was not asked to join the SEC if the DFW and Houston markets were so valuable? TCU, as much success as they have had over the last few years and applications to enroll in the school has increased ten-fold this year alone, cannot deliver anything outside of Fort Worth; and even in Fort Worth, the problems for them are the various professional sports teams and the bigger schools (OU, Texas, Texas A&M) get more air time than the Frogs do. This has always been true and one of the reasons why TCU was not invited to join the Big12 way back when. A&M captures the Houston market, and is able to deliver a lot in the DFW, Austin, and San Antonio markets -- the only collegiate program to match them for the Texas markets, and exceed them, are the Horns.

I was the one who asked that, so thank you for answering. This was a pretty impressive post for a new guy. I hope you stick around.

westbrooke
7/22/2011, 12:50 PM
I certainly have my issues with the Longhorn Network showing high school games, but I have a question about the larger narrative that is taking hold right now. Everyone seems to be talking about OU and A&M bolting for the SEC, but has anyone from OU actually made noises about doing this?

As far as I can tell, this issue started with the A&M regents holding a meeting on the subject, and then all of a sudden we were mentioned in this Sporting News article (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-07-20/oklahoma-texas-am-may-look-at-moving-to-sec-because-of-texas-tv-network) (previously linked by SabanBall in this thread). But that story only mentions one unnamed source implicating both A&M and OU. That source could be the author's kid checking message boards for all we know, or more likely an Aggie source using our name to sweeten the pot. The only, even slightly, related comments I've seen from OU lately have been from Castiglione discussing the challenges of setting up our own network.

I completely acknowledge that I could have missed something here, so this is an honest question: what makes us think that OU is seriously considering this besides our own (fan) anger at UT? Is it just that the narrative has been out there for a few days now without Castiglione denying it? There may be some merit to that, though I think we've seen that he is pretty good about playing his cards close to the vest. What do you all think?

westbrooke
7/22/2011, 12:55 PM
BtW, Peter Bean at Burnt Orange Nation has a pretty smart column (http://www.burntorangenation.com/2011/7/20/2285998/texas-a-m-secede-oklahoma-threat-sec-conference-big-12) about this. Of course, he, too, generally accepts the premise that OU is complicit in this and only cites that same Sporting News article. (Though he does acknowledge some uncertainty about who is ultimately behind the narrative.) Don't read the comments unless you want to be mad; if you want to be mad, then you're welcome. ;)

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2011, 01:06 PM
I certainly have my issues with the Longhorn Network showing high school games, but I have a question about the larger narrative that is taking hold right now. Everyone seems to be talking about OU and A&M bolting for the SEC, but has anyone from OU actually made noises about doing this?

As far as I can tell, this issue started with the A&M regents holding a meeting on the subject, and then all of a sudden we were mentioned in this Sporting News article (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-07-20/oklahoma-texas-am-may-look-at-moving-to-sec-because-of-texas-tv-network) (previously linked by SabanBall in this thread). But that story only mentions one unnamed source implicating both A&M and OU. That source could be the author's kid checking message boards for all we know, or more likely an Aggie source using our name to sweeten the pot. The only, even slightly, related comments I've seen from OU lately have been from Castiglione discussing the challenges of setting up our own network.

I completely acknowledge that I could have missed something here, so this is an honest question: what makes us think that OU is seriously considering this besides our own (fan) anger at UT? Is it just that the narrative has been out there for a few days now without Castiglione denying it? There may be some merit to that, though I think we've seen that he is pretty good about playing his cards close to the vest. What do you all think?

Again, I'm of the impression that this is aTm giving whorn a big 'ole papercut and that it is mid-July and writers are bored. The aTm AD's statement says nothing of leaving the conference...not even an implied threat.

There has been nothing to indicate that OU is implicated in any of this outrage, other than the weak Sporting News blog.

IndySooner
7/22/2011, 01:24 PM
BtW, Peter Bean at Burnt Orange Nation has a pretty smart column (http://www.burntorangenation.com/2011/7/20/2285998/texas-a-m-secede-oklahoma-threat-sec-conference-big-12) about this. Of course, he, too, generally accepts the premise that OU is complicit in this and only cites that same Sporting News article. (Though he does acknowledge some uncertainty about who is ultimately behind the narrative.) Don't read the comments unless you want to be mad; if you want to be mad, then you're welcome. ;)

I think there are a few of us who have a few connections who know what's going on better than the average joe. I'm just saying that I have heard through a few people that our radar has NEVER gone down on this. Despite what's being said publicly, we're VERY concerned about the ramifications of ESPN and the Longhorn Network and we've been in constant contact with people who represent other options. There's no doubt in my mind that TSN has good contacts on this because it's consistent with what I've heard. Nevermind the fact that Matt Hayes is a good journalist and wouldn't put his neck out if there wasn't something behind it.

I recently broke the baseball coaching story. Believe me, I heard it as probably and fact from four different sides of the story, but never once would anyone in the athletic department admit that I was close. These guys don't like to air their business in public, unlike other athletic departments in the area.

htownsooner7
7/22/2011, 02:00 PM
Just for s*its and giggles, what do we think the SEC would look like? OU, ATM, Arky, LSU, MSU, AUB and Ole Miss in the West and BAMA, UGA, FLA, TENN, USC, VANDY, KENT in the East? I don't think you could put OU, LSU, and Bama all in the same division.

pphilfran
7/22/2011, 02:07 PM
I was the one who asked that, so thank you for answering. This was a pretty impressive post for a new guy. I hope you stick around.

I agree....

IndySooner
7/22/2011, 02:14 PM
Just for s*its and giggles, what do we think the SEC would look like? OU, ATM, Arky, LSU, MSU, AUB and Ole Miss in the West and BAMA, UGA, FLA, TENN, USC, VANDY, KENT in the East? I don't think you could put OU, LSU, and Bama all in the same division.

I stand by my idea that everyone's going to 16 teams.

OU, OSU and A&M in the west. Move someone over to the east and add Clemson, Va Tech or FSU. That's the way the SEC would look, in my opinion.

westbrooke
7/22/2011, 03:19 PM
These guys don't like to air their business in public, unlike other athletic departments in the area.

Thanks for the response. I think this quote^ is what it really comes down to. Just wasn't sure if this was all smoke and no fire.

SoonerMom2
7/22/2011, 03:32 PM
SEC is adament OSU is not going to be offered anything. Think when OSU when out of their way to cozy up to ** and offend Boren, they probably made an enemy.

From the sound you get the feeling like a previous poster said that OU and A&M have not been quiet behind the scenes.

Is this Longhorn network why we have to go to OSU again and OSU has to go to UT for their game again? Since UT's schedule was different then the rest of us with having games away to a school two years in a row it makes you wonder if Beebe did this for the Longhorn network because it has never made any sense.

texaspokieokie
7/22/2011, 04:05 PM
SEC is adament OSU is not going to be offered anything. Think when OSU when out of their way to cozy up to ** and offend Boren, they probably made an enemy.

From the sound you get the feeling like a previous poster said that OU and A&M have not been quiet behind the scenes.

Is this Longhorn network why we have to go to OSU again and OSU has to go to UT for their game again? Since UT's schedule was different then the rest of us with having games away to a school two years in a row it makes you wonder if Beebe did this for the Longhorn network because it has never made any sense.

to the bottom paragraph: NO

EatLeadCommie
7/22/2011, 07:43 PM
the more I think about it, the more I say screw Texas and screw the SEC.

OU should go independent either when Texas makes the break or preemptively. OU can then play the free agent market, so to speak, as well as keep its traditional rivalries with OSU and Texas (and maybe even rekindling the rivalry with NU after the bad blood simmers down). If we go to the SEC, either Bedlam or the RRS or both are gonna go by the wayside, and that's horsecrap.

I gotta think that Boren and Joe are weighing the options, but OU needs to be in the driver's seat for the inevitable Texas pillaging of the Big XII. If there is any way to start up a new conference with the remaining Big 8/BXII members and some other straglers, I'd be open to that as well.

Soonerpsycho
7/22/2011, 07:49 PM
TimBrando Tim Brando
Back on the radio next Monday. Next weeks Big12 Media Days will be entertaining. Dan Beebe's job not easy. A&M, Okie St,OU, and Mizzou toSEC

http://twitter.com/#!/TimBrando

Eielson
7/22/2011, 07:59 PM
I'm sure we can find better rivals than OSU.

EatLeadCommie
7/22/2011, 08:05 PM

like who? We'd have no rivalries in the SEC. Arkansas would get back to their aTm rivalry since they've waited years for one to develop.

delhalew
7/22/2011, 08:16 PM

That's not the point. They are OUR ****tarded little brother. Why should a century of ownage have to stop now?

delhalew
7/22/2011, 08:19 PM
the more I think about it, the more I say screw Texas and screw the SEC.

OU should go independent either when Texas makes the break or preemptively. OU can then play the free agent market, so to speak, as well as keep its traditional rivalries with OSU and Texas (and maybe even rekindling the rivalry with NU after the bad blood simmers down). If we go to the SEC, either OU-OSU or the RRS or both are gonna go by the wayside, and that's horsecrap.

I gotta think that Boren and Joe are weighing the options, but OU needs to be in the driver's seat for the inevitable Texas pillaging of the Big XII. If there is any way to start up a new conference with the remaining Big 8/BXII members and some other straglers, I'd be open to that as well.
This is what I've been saying. Spend a year or four as an indie. Watch the struggles and laugh. If we want to, we go to the best fit/highest bidder.

delhalew
7/22/2011, 08:24 PM

Yes. The SEC is that petty, but if they want to retain the top spot, they better get over it.

IndySooner
7/22/2011, 08:27 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/TimBrando

Brando, who works for the SEC, talking about this as if it's happening......hmmmm.....

SoonerMom2
7/22/2011, 08:37 PM
Aggie message board has it happening with OU and A&M -- no one else is mentioned. Concensus seems to be that the pipeline to the SEC was never closed by A&M or OU and has been the fall back position from Day One. They also believe the Longhorn network is the conduit to them going Indy.

Their fans want out of the Big 12 before it continues to implode. The last straw may be Beebe working with Texas on the Longhorn Network and others find out about a second conference game as well as high schools games from media sources not the Big 12.

Said it last summer and will say it again -- Beebe is an idiot and being on the side of TX and allowing the media to break the info is going to push a blowup in the Big 12 probably faster than most predicted.

finster
7/22/2011, 08:51 PM
Boren did throw this wrench out there,So aTm are kind of on the same page.
kinda icky feeling
http://newsok.com/article/3588060#disqus_thread

IndySooner
7/22/2011, 09:07 PM
Boren did throw this wrench out there,So aTm are kind of on the same page.
kinda icky feeling
http://newsok.com/article/3588060#disqus_thread

When Boren starts talking, you know things are going down.

It goes along with everything I have heard. OU is NOT happy about this situation.

usaosooner
7/22/2011, 09:48 PM
OU will never be a independent ever.. well maybe if the population of the state booms by 1000%

Lets get in the SEC and be done with this crap

SoonerMom2
7/22/2011, 10:35 PM
When Boren starts talking, you know things are going down.

It goes along with everything I have heard. OU is NOT happy about this situation.

When I read this at The Oklahoman that was my first thought. The fact that Boren had to bring it to the attention of Beebe on Wednesday speaks volumes that Beebe saw nothing wrong with it happening.

Going to be interesting media days. Looks like OU is in the driver's seat against TX and Beebe.

“I had raised that issue Wednesday morning, ironically, in a conference call we had with all the Big 12 presidents,” Boren said. “As you've seen since then, the commissioner has issued a statement, so at least it's temporarily put to bed and stopped.”

So Boren dropped this in a conference call of Big 12 presidents? That must have blown up the conference call. No way he does this unless he has plans.

delhalew
7/22/2011, 11:12 PM
OU will never be a independent ever.. well maybe if the population of the state booms by 1000%

It's not that hard to be independent. We could have done it in the eighties. Population isn't the only factor. Oklahoma is synonymous with football.

Eielson
7/22/2011, 11:28 PM
like who? We'd have no rivalries in the SEC. Arkansas would get back to their aTm rivalry since they've waited years for one to develop.

Alabama? Anybody really. I'm sure some other team could even win once every 8 years.

sooneredaco
7/22/2011, 11:34 PM
SEC! SEC! SEC!

delhalew
7/23/2011, 08:44 AM
SEC! SEC! SEC!

If we do go to the SEC, I will not do that.

SoonerMom2
7/23/2011, 09:52 AM
If we do go to the SEC, I will not do that.

That makes two of us! It is Boomer Sooner! all the way along with OU!!!

Muno
7/23/2011, 12:59 PM
It's not that hard to be independent. We could have done it in the eighties. Population isn't the only factor. Oklahoma is synonymous with football.

So which major network is going to pick us up? It's not going to be ABC, NBC, ESPN, etc.

What conference will we join for our other sports (not going to be a major conference)? Conference USA?

I don't think you've thought this through. We don't have the viewers to bring in enough revenue to support going independent. This isn't the mid 80s anymore. The landscape is much different.

SoonerMom2
7/23/2011, 01:29 PM
An Aggie message boards is alleging that ESPN paid TX to stay in the Big 12 as their original deal was for a much smaller amount not the huge sum they are getting. I know it is an Aggie Board but what they are saying makes sense. http://www.iamthe12thman.com/2011/7/22/2289572/realignment-thoughts

They said that ESPN didn't want to have to renegoiate all their TV contracts for super conferences so it was cheaper to pay TX the big sum. Supposedly ESPN bought the conference game from Fox with Beebe's approval and then were going to add a second conference game along with high school football inside and also outside TX like Jenks which was not part of the agreement last summer to keep OU/A&M from bolting to the SEC. The TX Network was only supposed to televise Tier III colleges on their networking and NO Big 12. They also stated you would have to buy the Longhorn Network from ESPN to see the Big 12 games.

SoonerMom2
7/23/2011, 01:38 PM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/23/sooners-president-to-push-for-ban-of-televising-high-school-content/ -- David Boren's comments about televising high school games made it to MSNBC. Looks like PAC 10 and Big 10 had the same plans and Boren wants to put an end to all colleges televising high school games.

There is no rule by the NCAA that so far they can find and will make a ruling in August. This is going to get interesting with Boren wanting a rule for the whole NCAA.

Do believe that Texas now has an enemy.

85sooners
7/23/2011, 01:38 PM
:pop:

Sabanball
7/26/2011, 07:53 PM
I still say AM is headed to the SEC and you guys will not be in the Big 12 very much longer either--because with all this network crap T***s is making it happen.

T***s is the Kim Kardashian of college football. Hardly as attractive as she thinks and has never done a thing to justify all the fame. They chase the money in much the same way. The 'horns are a legend in their own mind. Texas destroyed the SWC and is currently sucking the life out of the Big 12.

Football Jim
7/26/2011, 08:45 PM
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that all the talk about the demise of the Big XII is just talk.
T**** has forced A&M to posture and bluff just to keep the alums happy and not feel like T**** butt buddy.
They are not going anywhere.

Soonerpsycho
7/26/2011, 08:53 PM
http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/OUsconferencesituation.jpg

Extra Point
7/28/2011, 10:46 PM
Brando, who works for the SEC, talking about this as if it's happening......hmmmm.....

Brando works for CBS and has a radio show he does from Shreveport, LA. You would think he would be in the know as much as anyone, but has never much proven to be.

A few general thoughts after reading this thread...

SEC Commish Mike Slive was asked about possible expansion on 7/20, the first day of SEC Media Days in Birmingham last week. He made a comment similar to "I could have 4 new SEC member schools within 15 minutes if I wanted to." The media knows Slive doesn't bluff nor BS. Slive essentially confirmed ongoing back door talks with other schools. Slive said last summer the SEC would not be the first to pull the super conference trigger, but would respond quickly/simultaneously if someone else did so. He may have changed his mind since then, or else he knows the B10 and/or Pac-12 have definite plans in the near future to expand again.

The ratings and revenues for the new CBS and ESPN deals with the SEC have far exceeded network expectations. Adding a new conference member automatically triggers renegotiation of those contracts and the SEC would likely be able to command a similar or even larger revenue pie than what the Pac-12 just closed. The SEC might just add 2 new members within the next year leaving room for 2 more future members which would once again trigger renegotiation opening the door for even more revenue in a few years.

The SEC TV contract business model is different than those of the B10 or Pac-12 (i.e. it's not subscription based). Adding OU is not going to capture any more of the Oklahoma TV market than it already has through ESPN, CBS and the ERN/SEC Network affiliates KSBI in OKC and KGEB in Tulsa. The SEC Network run by ESPN Regional Network (ERN) also has 8 affiliates in TX (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Waco, Tyler-Longview-Lfkn-Ncgd, Lubbock, Beaumont-Pt Arthur, Abilene-Sweetwater). aTm could deliver a few more ERN/SEC Network affiliates in Texas, but that incremental revenue would not cover aTm's equal conference share. The incentive for the SEC to add any new members is merely to trigger renegotiation to gain a bigger share of the network profits which is why adding only 2 is an option for Slive at this point.

FWIW, the conference payouts for the 2009-10 academic year (first year of new CBS/ESPN deals) was ~$18.3MM for each SEC school per the SEC's IRS Form 990.

MeMyself&Me
7/28/2011, 11:40 PM
Brando works for CBS and has a radio show he does from Shreveport, LA. You would think he would be in the know as much as anyone, but has never much proven to be.

A few general thoughts after reading this thread...

SEC Commish Mike Slive was asked about possible expansion on 7/20, the first day of SEC Media Days in Birmingham last week. He made a comment similar to "I could have 4 new SEC member schools within 15 minutes if I wanted to." The media knows Slive doesn't bluff nor BS. Slive essentially confirmed ongoing back door talks with other schools. Slive said last summer the SEC would not be the first to pull the super conference trigger, but would respond quickly/simultaneously if someone else did so. He may have changed his mind since then, or else he knows the B10 and/or Pac-12 have definite plans in the near future to expand again.

The ratings and revenues for the new CBS and ESPN deals with the SEC have far exceeded network expectations. Adding a new conference member automatically triggers renegotiation of those contracts and the SEC would likely be able to command a similar or even larger revenue pie than what the Pac-12 just closed. The SEC might just add 2 new members within the next year leaving room for 2 more future members which would once again trigger renegotiation opening the door for even more revenue in a few years.

The SEC TV contract business model is different than those of the B10 or Pac-12 (i.e. it's not subscription based). Adding OU is not going to capture any more of the Oklahoma TV market than it already has through ESPN, CBS and the ERN/SEC Network affiliates KSBI in OKC and KGEB in Tulsa. The SEC Network run by ESPN Regional Network (ERN) also has 8 affiliates in TX (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Waco, Tyler-Longview-Lfkn-Ncgd, Lubbock, Beaumont-Pt Arthur, Abilene-Sweetwater). aTm could deliver a few more ERN/SEC Network affiliates in Texas, but that incremental revenue would not cover aTm's equal conference share. The incentive for the SEC to add any new members is merely to trigger renegotiation to gain a bigger share of the network profits which is why adding only 2 is an option for Slive at this point.

FWIW, the conference payouts for the 2009-10 academic year (first year of new CBS/ESPN deals) was ~$18.3MM for each SEC school per the SEC's IRS Form 990.

I've been wondering about the renegotiating issue with adding new teams. It would makes sense to have a clause that said you renegotiate when you add new teams and I would be surprised if that issue was unique to the SEC. With contracts going several years out and at the rate at which the TV rights values have been increasing, it would make a lot of sense for conferences to add new schools in the interim to renegotiation better terms which, of course, would accelerate the move to super conferences.

Sabanball
8/1/2011, 12:23 PM
More indications that your political ties to OSU may be forcing you to look West and that Mizzou may be trying to step in your place and join TAMU in coming to the SEC.

http://tamu.scout.com/2/1090643.html

silverwheels
8/1/2011, 12:39 PM
Interesting. There's a good possibility that I will be moving to the west coast in the near future, so OU moving to the Pac-12 would be okay with me.

MeMyself&Me
8/1/2011, 01:01 PM
More indications that your political ties to OSU may be forcing you to look West and that Mizzou may be trying to step in your place and join TAMU in coming to the SEC.

http://tamu.scout.com/2/1090643.html

The only thing in that article that was new info to me was that ESPN has disregarded Beebe's "no high school games for now" edict. And WOW, that's big. Texas better use their power to pull ESPN in or they are going to be left as an independent trying to figure out how to schedule meaningful games in a era of superconferences. That won't be good for Tejas.

Soonerpsycho
8/1/2011, 01:43 PM
http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/aggiessuckinguptoboren.jpg

NormanPride
8/1/2011, 01:44 PM
OSU is a tumor on the sporting world.

finster
8/1/2011, 07:23 PM
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205235905
Not sure if the horns are serious about making this a First Amendment issue,The B.S. coming from them is approaching My Lai levels. Any-way the Big 12 powers decided to wait a year before show-casing horn targets on the Longhorn network.
Whether the ESPN/University of Texas partnership network complies is anybody's guess.

thecynic
8/1/2011, 07:27 PM
This is a bad situation. What does leaving accomplish? Texas will still broadcast HS games, and we'll be in another conference. I don't know why Texas or ESPN would back down. They hold the cards. This whole thing sucks and should have been addressed last year. If we leave they'll broadcast the games and it seems like if we stay they are as well. Just another reason to hate Texas. As if we needed reasons.

CowboyMRW
8/1/2011, 07:28 PM
http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/OUsconferencesituation.jpg

That right there is gold Jerry, pure Gold!!

sooneredaco
8/1/2011, 07:31 PM
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205235905
Not sure if the horns are serious about making this a First Amendment issue,The B.S. coming from them is approaching My Lai levels. Any-way the Big 12 powers decided to wait a year before show-casing horn targets on the Longhorn network.
Whether the ESPN/University of Texas partnership network complies is anybody's guess.

Can't wait for the response from ESPN/LHN on this vote. My understanding is that they really don't give a rat's a$$ what the conference rules.

MeMyself&Me
8/1/2011, 07:50 PM
This is a bad situation. What does leaving accomplish? Texas will still broadcast HS games, and we'll be in another conference. I don't know why Texas or ESPN would back down. They hold the cards. This whole thing sucks and should have been addressed last year. If we leave they'll broadcast the games and it seems like if we stay they are as well. Just another reason to hate Texas. As if we needed reasons.

Texas needs everyone to stay put. If schools start to bail out of the Big 12 in droves, it will lead to super-conferences. Texas will find it very hard to find meaningful football games as an independent with everyone else in super-conferences. ESPN doesn't want that either for that matter. They (Texas/ESPN) are playing with fire.

soonerboomer93
8/1/2011, 08:43 PM

You do realize the OU turned downed the NBC contract before it was offered to ND? At the time, OU Had better tv ratings then the Irish.

soonerfromgeorgia
8/1/2011, 08:44 PM
I'd be very disappointed if OU decides to go Pac-12 over the SEC, it would really look like they were running from the tougher competition.

finster
8/1/2011, 09:09 PM
I'd be very disappointed if OU decides to go Pac-12 over the SEC, it would really look like they were running from the tougher competition.

Personally,I would rather go SEC than Pac-12 myself. Hopefully the UT bigs are not as delusional as the message board fans sound. The Red River War is to much fun to give up to a bunch of pompous ****-ants.

soonerboomer93
8/1/2011, 09:13 PM
I am suprise how discounted OU And the DAllas market are. I no longer live there, but the ABC station made the mistake of switching from an OU game in either 2000 or 2001. Ever since then OU (and little brother) were made protected teams in the market, treated on par with UT and A&M and there games were to be shown in their entirety. I'd be suprised if this had changed.

Personally, I would be suprised if OU didn't control more of the North Texas, Dallas-Fort Worth market then any college team but Texas.

silverwheels
8/1/2011, 09:18 PM
I'd rather go to the Pac-12 just for the road trips. Starkville? Fayetteville? Please. Give me L.A., the Bay Area, Seattle, Phoenix, and Denver/Boulder any day. Plus those toothless inbred SEC! SEC! SEC! mouthbreathers are already annoying, and it would only get worse if we joined their conference. Or, Heaven forbid, we might actually morph into those idiots. No thanks. I admire your passion for football, even if it means your mother is also your aunt. Whatever.

I don't care about competition. We're OU. We can handle our ****.

Illuminati
8/1/2011, 09:24 PM
Pac 12,13,14,16 whatever over SEC any day

finster
8/1/2011, 09:39 PM
I'd rather go to the Pac-12 just for the road trips. Starkville? Fayetteville? Please. Give me L.A., the Bay Area, Seattle, Phoenix, and Denver/Boulder any day. Plus those toothless inbred SEC! SEC! SEC! mouthbreathers are already annoying, and it would only get worse if we joined their conference. Or, Heaven forbid, we might actually morph into those idiots. No thanks. I admire your passion for football, even if it means your mother is also your aunt. Whatever.

I don't care about competition. We're OU. We can handle our ****.

Good points,but I already miss the end of a lot of West coast games cause they don't start until 10 or later. Selfish I know. But you know that OU will never be a SEC, SEC, SEC, vicarious type of program were ever we end up.

FtwTxSooner
8/1/2011, 09:42 PM
In addition, the ADs learned and acknowledged that there may be contractual opportunities that allow more than one football game to be broadcast on institutions' branded networks. That game could be a Conference matchup. In these instances both member institutions and the Conference office must agree to the selection. Such games would result in additional financial and exposure opportunities for the rest of the membership.

... and LHN has been given the green light for conference games if there is an agreement with the opponent. I would hope there would not be a university willing to whore themeselves out on that network.

MeMyself&Me
8/1/2011, 10:04 PM
... and LHN has been given the green light for conference games if there is an agreement with the opponent. I would hope there would not be a university willing to whore themeselves out on that network.

If there is, you know their fans would go ape****. Can you imagine having to subscribe to LHN to see the Red River Shootout? Wouldn't ever happen to that game but the thought of having to do so is a real possibility for fans of some of the 'lesser' schools.

okiedokie
8/1/2011, 10:46 PM
Why not ou to the big 10? I don't see much talk on this?

spanielboy
8/1/2011, 11:00 PM
The original agreement was to have one non-conference game on LHN, and then it was altered without the other conference schools knowledge to add a second game. Behind the premium curtain at Texags, they have video of Beebe acknowledging he was aware, if not complicit, of LHN/ESPN getting the television rights of either the Texas Tech or OSU game (to date I do not think anyone really knows which game it is, but it is one of the games in Austin to be shown).

The agreement by the various AD persons in today's meeting, will let the other school playing Texas to get a voice to whether it wants the game on LHN or not. It could mean that if a game is not on the tube, LHN could ask the other team to quid pro quo to have the game on television. The benefit to Texas is that it is on their cable channel, and the other team would get a cut of the money(to what the split should be has not been revealed). The sticking point seems to be whether if somehow if a Texas game was not chosen through our current procedures to be on teevee, it seems that LHN with the help of Dan Beebe's office may push for the game to be on LHN. The lip service seems that more exposure and revenue will come into the league coffers (ahem, Longhorn coffers) if a fourth game were added to the watching list.

Unless there is collusion between FOX and ESPN, that means the OSU game will not be shown on LHN. I would guess the game with Tech would be a maybe at this point, and depends on what other games are available and to how the two teams do this year. By deduction, either the Kansas or KSU games may be the targets to be shown on LHN.

This begs the question to whether LHN/ESPN will also try to push the boundaries to capture the teevee rights to away games the Longhorns are playing, that is if the game is chosen not be shown on teevee. It seems that is the next logical step - especially with the kind of money ESPN is throwing around. If it were to happen this year, the Texas/ISU and Texas/Baylor games would be options.

My concern is still to whether other Big12 championship games not shown on the Big12 teevee outlets will be captured and shown on LHN (volleyball, softball, T&F, soccer, swimming, women's BB, baseball, etc). It would be nice if our Big12 Commissioner was as active as Larry Scott is when it comes to television exposure, but as is, Dan Beebe is no Larry Scott.

The high school football games on LHN has been put into deep freeze until either a year has expired or if the NCAA leadership explicitly says no.

goingoneight
8/1/2011, 11:15 PM
Pac 12,13,14,16 whatever over SEC any day

Ummm... why? Are half-empty stadiums attractive to a prestigious program like OU?

silverwheels
8/1/2011, 11:48 PM
Why not ou to the big 10? I don't see much talk on this?

They don't want us.

silverwheels
8/1/2011, 11:52 PM
Ummm... why? Are half-empty stadiums attractive to a prestigious program like OU?

USC and UCLA don't always sell out their huge stadiums unless they're good (derp we gotz udder stuffs to do in L.A. lolz), but the rest of the conference generally shows up. And is a stadium full of smelly corn dog-eating troglodytes yelling "TIGAH BAIT! TIGAH BAIT!" in your face more attractive to opposing fans?

And the real money comes from home games and TV airings, anyway, so I don't see how playing in front of a 3/4-full stadium in California would affect OU that much unless it wasn't on TV, which is not going to happen with the Pac-12's badass new TV contract.

finster
8/1/2011, 11:57 PM
spanielboy,
The Big 12 games I believe are understood. It's up to the school and conference if it will be on the LHN. But to have one school to be able to have a booster (and I do believe 300 million dollar's is a boost) put a recruits Name, Stats, and live coverage on there own network,while anybody else will be penalized for sending that same player a text is not.
UT retained the power to dismiss anybody that didn’t tow the UT line, And now the fan base actually believes that it's out their hands.
It's Freedom of the Press now. How stupid is the University of Texas?

prrriiide
8/2/2011, 05:00 AM
Joe C is as much a politician as David B

Except that Davey B knows where every single political skeleton is buried in the state of Oklahoma. You can bet if OU wants to leave our inferiors in Stoogewater behind, it'll happen before Pistol Pete can change his soiled boxers.

FtwTxSooner
8/2/2011, 08:54 AM
All * conference games would have been televised anyway by the existing TV outlets, even for a mediocre * team. Its not like any lower rung opponent would get additional TV coverage because of it. In fact, there would likely be much fewer viewers due to the anticipated poor distribution of LHN.

It would seem to all boil down to the $$$ it would take for a school like ISU to agree to it.

spanielboy
8/3/2011, 07:35 AM
An article talking about A&M and the realignment talk, from a Big10 blogger. Interesting point-of-view from a different part of the country - and Frank gives some reasons why it will not happen.

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/the-jump-to-conclusions-game-why-angry-aggies-arent-enough-to-move-texas-am-to-the-sec/