PDA

View Full Version : Tiger tells Steve Williams...

The Maestro
7/20/2011, 01:57 PM
"You don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/6787301/tiger-woods-gets-rid-steve-williams-caddie

Boomer.....
7/20/2011, 02:00 PM
Wow. Something needs to change with Tiger but I didn't think it would be Stevie.

sappstuf
7/20/2011, 02:00 PM
When the business is losing money, you have to make cuts..

Turd_Ferguson
7/20/2011, 02:05 PM
Time to bring the old man back?

http://whosyourcaddie.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Fluff-Cowan-Golf-Caddie.jpg

rekamrettuB
7/20/2011, 02:45 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Stevie wanted out of the relationship. He's taking a much bigger hit financially than Tiger is. Now he gets to go out and get on someone else's bag (more than likely someone in the top 20) and make some coin while Tiger does whatever it is he does now.

silverwheels
7/20/2011, 02:47 PM
Stevie was probably cockblocking him.

sooneron
7/20/2011, 02:53 PM
Stevie = turbo doosh. Of course, Eldrick prolly is too...

picasso
7/20/2011, 03:17 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Stevie wanted out of the relationship. He's taking a much bigger hit financially than Tiger is. Now he gets to go out and get on someone else's bag (more than likely someone in the top 20) and make some coin while Tiger does whatever it is he does now.

He's been caddying for Adam Scott.

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2011, 03:21 PM
I think Stevie's eventual book might be interesting. Ya think?

picasso
7/20/2011, 03:23 PM

I'll bet he doesn't know as much as you think.

StoopTroup
7/20/2011, 03:26 PM

Yummy.

#1 Best Seller
#2 - Casey Anthony - "How I found out Blondes have more fun"

rekamrettuB
7/20/2011, 03:31 PM
He's been caddying for Adam Scott.

Well there ya' go...#17.

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2011, 03:33 PM
I'll bet he doesn't know as much as you think.

This may be true. However, one thing Tiger has in his multiple personality bag is his ability to be that Stanford frat-boy. And what frat-boy could possibly turn down an opportunity to speak of his stripper conquests to his "buddy"?

Especially when said "buddy" is an Aussie. Especially.

I wouldn't purchase the book, wouldn't need to. ESPN would talk about it for months.

StoopTroup
7/20/2011, 03:37 PM
This may be true. However, one thing Tiger has in his multiple personality bag is his ability to be that Stanford frat-boy. And what frat-boy could possibly turn down an opportunity to speak of his stripper conquests to his "buddy"?

Especially when said "buddy" is an Aussie. Especially.

I wouldn't purchase the book, wouldn't need to. ESPN would talk about it for months.

What if he was banging TW's Ex?

WichitaSooner
7/20/2011, 03:38 PM
C'mon... if stevie is throwing cameras in ponds for ETW, what the hell makes you think he not only KNEW what was happening, but was also most likely contractually obliged to facilitate when necessary.

You'd think job #1 for ETW's caddie would be to buy a burner phone for him, but what do I know?

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2011, 03:41 PM
C'mon... if stevie is throwing cameras in ponds for ETW, what the hell makes you think he not only KNEW what was happening, but was also most likely contractually obliged to facilitate when necessary.

You'd think job #1 for ETW's caddie would be to buy a burner phone for him, but what do I know?

Heh.

Now THERE'S a resume' bullet.

WichitaSooner
7/20/2011, 03:48 PM
Heh.

Now THERE'S a resume' bullet.

"...other duties, as necessary."

picasso
7/20/2011, 04:10 PM

Because I doubt very seriously every caddie on tour knows tons of dirt on the guys that employ them.
You think Tiger and Steve are talking poon tang on the tee or which way the wind is blowing?

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2011, 04:18 PM
Because I doubt very seriously every caddie on tour knows tons of dirt on the guys that employ them.
You think Tiger and Steve are talking poon tang on the tee or which way the wind is blowing?

Why not? I do.

:cool:

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 04:22 PM
Speaking of golf, I'm sorta running out of hay to cut/bale so I decided to go play Westwood last Friday. First time I dusted off the clubs in a couple years. Shot 103. Played Purcell yesterday, shot 97. Man, I do not recommend taking a couple years off then just going to the first tee and letting er' rip. I felt, and I'm sure looked like a tard out there. No coordination, stiff as hell, and I even whiffed on the tee box on a par 5. Whiffed.

Golf is such a humbling game.

Since it looks like there won't be hay for a while I think I'm gonna go take lessons for the first time in my life. Maybe upgrade some equipment. I'm hitting some Adams Assault irons that are probably 15-years old, and some Excalibur woods that are much older. I have the time now and can afford it and really do enjoy it (although I must say shooting ~ 100 ain't a whole lot of fun) so maybe the lessons thing will help?

Any advice?

mgsooner
7/20/2011, 04:24 PM
My advice is to not play golf. Life's too short.

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 04:24 PM
My advice is to not play golf. Life's too short.

Well it's too bad we can't all be perfectly stupid like you...

mgsooner
7/20/2011, 04:25 PM
Well it's too bad we can't all be perfectly stupid like you...

Nanny nanny boo boo

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 04:26 PM
I know. I couldn't help myself though.

mgsooner
7/20/2011, 04:29 PM
To be serious, golf is one of the most frustrating things I've ever tried to do. I decided long ago that I didn't really have the time or the money to get very good at it, and I hate doing things that I'm not good at. Too competitive. Hence my comment.

soonerinabilene
7/20/2011, 04:33 PM
Yes, Dean, lessons will definetly help you alot, but only if you are willing to not be stubborn and refuse to change things. Whatever the pro says to change, do it. And an upgrade would be a good idea, too. You font even have to go all crazy and get expensive, custom clubs right away. Academy has full Taylor and Cleveland sets pretty cheap. Now, if you intend on playing 4-5 times a week and really intend to dedicate a lot of time to the fame, go to a pro shop and get fitted for clubs, demo a bunch of different ones to find the right club for you, and you will see a vast improvement in just a few weeks.

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 04:36 PM
Yes, Dean, lessons will definetly help you alot, but only if you are willing to not be stubborn and refuse to change things. Whatever the pro says to change, do it. And an upgrade would be a good idea, too. You font even have to go all crazy and get expensive, custom clubs right away. Academy has full Taylor and Cleveland sets pretty cheap. Now, if you intend on playing 4-5 times a week and really intend to dedicate a lot of time to the fame, go to a pro shop and get fitted for clubs, demo a bunch of different ones to find the right club for you, and you will see a vast improvement in just a few weeks.

Is it unatural if I got a semi-woody by reading this?

I was at Golf USA today and checked out a couple drivers. I've always hit my short irons pretty good, and middle irons OK, but my woods are the death of me. Can't hit a driver worth a ****, and forget about a fairway wood or a 1-2 iron. I need me some serious help with that ****.

Boomer.....
7/20/2011, 04:39 PM
Look at some Callaway or Burner drivers.

As for irons, go to a demo day of golf store to hit a few different ones and then get them fitted for you. It's usually free and helps your game a lot.

cantwait48
7/20/2011, 04:39 PM
Speaking of golf, I'm sorta running out of hay to cut/bale so I decided to go play Westwood last Friday. First time I dusted off the clubs in a couple years. Shot 103. Played Purcell yesterday, shot 97. Man, I do not recommend taking a couple years off then just going to the first tee and letting er' rip. I felt, and I'm sure looked like a tard out there. No coordination, stiff as hell, and I even whiffed on the tee box on a par 5. Whiffed.

Since it looks like there won't be hay for a while I think I'm gonna go take lessons for the first time in my life. Maybe upgrade some equipment. I'm hitting some Adams Assault irons that are probably 15-years old, and some Excalibur woods that are much older. I have the time now and can afford it and really do enjoy it (although I must say shooting ~ 100 ain't a whole lot of fun) so maybe the lessons thing will help?

Any advice?

in this heat if you can shoot lower than the temperature you are winning

Mjcpr
7/20/2011, 04:41 PM
Is it unatural if I got a semi-woody by reading this?

I was at Golf USA today and checked out a couple drivers. I've always hit my short irons pretty good, and middle irons OK, but my woods are the death of me. Can't hit a driver worth a ****, and forget about a fairway wood or a 1-2 iron. I need me some serious help with that ****.

Try some rescues for your long irons.....I'm sure they weren't around when yo last shopped for clubs and they are much easier to hit than long irons.

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2011, 04:50 PM

Any advice?

Come play The Trails with me. I'm a member, and I'm not talking about the phallic kind... Empty track in the evenings and plenty of opportunities to practice second and third shots.

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 06:46 PM
Come play The Trails with me. I'm a member, and I'm not talking about the phallic kind... Empty track in the evenings and plenty of opportunities to practice second and third shots.

Sext me when you're gonna be playing.

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2011, 06:55 PM
Like a woman first discovering she likes giving...

Dean and texting. Who knew?

Gimme some "best evenings" and I'll certainly be in touch, bro.

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 07:01 PM
Like a woman first discovering she likes giving...

Dean and texting. Who knew?

Gimme some "best evenings" and I'll certainly be in touch, bro.

I'm retired, and the hay is in. Any evening will do. And what's funny is I've sent maybe 4-5 texts in my life. I think two of them were to you. I just don't get it. It's easier to pick up the phone, get all your questions answered and be done.

Mongo
7/20/2011, 07:14 PM
I'm retired, and the hay is in. Any evening will do. And what's funny is I've sent maybe 4-5 texts in my life. I think two of them were to you. I just don't get it. It's easier to pick up the phone, get all your questions answered and be done.

dont forget our special evening

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 07:19 PM
dont forget our special evening

Was sexting involved? I thought it was a phone call or two. Either way, you need to change your handle from Mongo to Hagrid. The pink umbrella, the allsome rock cakes, and the dragon egg you brought over was the bombdiggitybombbomb. I won't go into the moleskin coat and pink condom...

Mongo
7/20/2011, 07:22 PM
no sexting involved, just pics of you and that HP blow up doll.

quite tasteful, but not my thing

walkoffsooner
7/20/2011, 07:46 PM
When u whiffed did u take ball off tee for 2nd shot? I hate it when that happens

C&CDean
7/21/2011, 06:58 AM
When u whiffed did u take ball off tee for 2nd shot? I hate it when that happens

No I didn't. I hit it about 275 down the middle with a 3-wood. I did count the stroke though.

1890MilesToNorman
7/21/2011, 07:42 AM
Stevie was on the bag of one of the players in the British Open, I don't remember who but I heard the announcers say his name.

1890MilesToNorman
7/21/2011, 07:44 AM
Found it, it was Adam Scott.

jk the sooner fan
7/21/2011, 07:47 AM
i can hit the ball just fine off the tee

my short game however........absolutely blows, and thats where i lose strokes out.the.***

C&CDean
7/21/2011, 08:03 AM
i can hit the ball just fine off the tee

my short game however........absolutely blows, and thats where i lose strokes out.the.***

We should get together and between the two of us we might shoot an 80 or so.

Don't get me wrong though, my putting is like my driving. On. Off. On. Off. I can drop a 30-footer on one hole, and miss an 8 footer on the next - and leave 15 feet left. If I could drive/putt consistently I'd be about a 7-8 handicapper. I can't, so I hover around 20-something...

jk the sooner fan
7/21/2011, 08:05 AM
i can actually putt fairly decently

but as an example - my last round - i routinely had my drive in the fairway - 100 to 150ish yards out....i might as well be Happy Gilmore trying to get the ball thru the clowns mouth

and the closer i get to the fringe, edge of the green - lord help me

C&CDean
7/21/2011, 08:13 AM
OK. Golf sucks. But I like it...

Mjcpr
7/21/2011, 08:40 AM
Did you get your rescue clubs yet?

rekamrettuB
7/21/2011, 09:55 AM
Did you get your rescue clubs yet?

Hell I was born with two. They are called my feet.

Scott D
7/21/2011, 01:06 PM
Hairy is such a bastard for not replying to this thread.

Mississippi Sooner
7/21/2011, 01:37 PM
We should get together and between the two of us we might shoot an 80 or so.

Don't get me wrong though, my putting is like my driving. On. Off. On. Off. I can drop a 30-footer on one hole, and miss an 8 footer on the next - and leave 15 feet left. If I could drive/putt consistently I'd be about a 7-8 handicapper. I can't, so I hover around 20-something...

That's why you should find someone who is compatible and always play scrambles. I'm lousy at mid-range irons, but when I play scrambles with my usual partner, we rarely shoot over par. Of course, we usually only use my shots about a half-dozen times per round. Yeah, he's really damn good, and I'm pretty lousy at more than just mid-range irons.

BigTip
7/21/2011, 01:50 PM
One of my golfing buddies says this all the time; "Golf is too hard. It'll never catch on." He's an eight handicap.

I have had two paid golf lessons in my life. They were at GolfTEC. One was 30 minutes, one was an hour. They both helped a lot. They try and sell you a huge series of lessons, but you don't have to commit to them. Nothing helps more than watching your swing on video.

If you want to get serious about golf, join a league. Someone is always going to be better than you, and they can help you out on the driving range. That's what happened with me. I have had lots of "lessons" from friends. Usually they are just small, "try doing this" type things, but everything helps.

OUmillenium
7/21/2011, 04:19 PM
Carp, I thought this was a Dr. Death thread...

soonercruiser
7/21/2011, 10:33 PM

But, just the same.
I think that Stevie knows a lot of dirt on Tiger.
(Maybe they even did some together)
Stevie caddying for Adam Scott probably broke some unspoken rule of Tiger's. But, after all, a guy has to have a working job!
(And, one other theory would be that Stevie likes it both ways. So, neither is talking about that!)

3rdgensooner
7/22/2011, 11:33 AM
Tiger Woods’s Caddie Fires Back (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/22/sports/golf/tiger-woodss-caddie-steve-williams-responds-to-dismissal.html)
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/global/backgrounds/transparentBG.gif

Tiger Woods (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/w/tiger_woods/index.html?inline=nyt-per) has always demanded loyalty from employees and associates as a prerequisite for continued employment or association. His caddie, Steve Williams, was always the embodiment of the loyal employee, going to whatever lengths he deemed necessary to protect Woods on the golf course and off it.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/07/22/sports/tiger2/tiger2-articleInline.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)
Woods, right, with Williams after his victory in the 2006 British Open.
On his Web site, Williams confirmed he was let go after the AT&T
National three weeks ago after years of working together.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/07/22/sports/y-jp-tiger/y-jp-tiger-articleInline.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)
Tiger Woods, left, and his caddie, Steve Williams, after Woods
took the 2001 Masters, one of 13 majors he won with Williams.

And after Woods publicly announced the firing of Williams, his longtime caddie, friend and confidant, on his Web site, using the usual corporate niceties to put some positive spin on it, he might be wondering what happened to the nondisparagement clause in Williams’s contract.

This is quickly taking on the makings of a very ugly divorce.

Unhappy with the breakup, Williams fired back at Woods. On his personal Web site (http://www.kiwicaddy.co.nz/), after weeks of denying firing rumors that had popped up on other Web sites and on Australian television, Williams confirmed that Woods had let him go after the AT&T National tournament three weeks ago at Aronimink.

Then he wrote: “After 13 years of loyal service needless to say this came as a shock. Given the circumstances of the past 18 months working through Tiger’s scandal, a new coach and with it a major swing change and Tiger battling through injuries I am very disappointed to end our very successful partnership at this time.”

When he took to the airwaves, Williams ratcheted up the rhetoric on 3 News in New Zealand. This one may have started Woods wondering if the lawyers left the nondisclosure part out of the standard player-caddie contract, if there was a contract.

“You know, when I write my book, it’ll be the time I decide what I write,” Williams said. “It’ll just be one of those interesting chapters in the book.”
He is not talking about a yardage book or a record book, either. Woods might have been able to obviate some of this had he learned one other thing about Jack Nicklaus (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/n/jack_nicklaus/index.html?inline=nyt-per), whose major-championship victory record of 18 is still four ahead of Woods. He could have asked him how to fire a famous caddie.

Many years ago, in a different era (the 1980s), Nicklaus decided to end his relationship with his longtime caddie, Angelo Argea, after 18 years. The silver-haired Argea, who was a fixture as the most recognizable caddie on tour because Nicklaus was the best player and thus got the most TV time, was aggrieved that Nicklaus did not give him what he considered to be a suitable sendoff.

The situations are not precisely parallel, mainly because Argea was not nearly as skilled as Williams at the caddie’s basic duties. He never tried to talk Nicklaus out of a strategic decision nor into switching his club choice. Neither had Nicklaus been embroiled in any scandals that might have given Argea ammunition for vague threats about an upcoming exposé.

But one thing that was similarly handled was the way Argea made his grievances public. Not on his Web site, since he had no such thing in 1981. He picked up a phone and called a golf writer in Miami to reveal that Nicklaus had fired him and had offered him a job picking up range balls at a North Palm Beach golf course — at minimum wage.

The reporter tried to contact Nicklaus, phoning his P.R. man and laying out the essentials. Nicklaus could not be reached — no Twitter, e-mail or text messages back then — so he did not get the message. The reporter got it the next day, though, when Nicklaus phoned to confirm the firing — which was for neglecting to get hole placements at a tournament — and politely set the record straight on the disparities between what Argea had claimed and what actually had happened.

The whole thing was largely forgotten in a couple of weeks. Argea did do a book, however. It was titled “Yardages by Angelo,” without the slightest regard for irony. A few years later, Nancy Lopez, the top player in women’s golf, decided to fire her caddie, Roscoe Jones. There was a brief flurry of publicity, which promptly subsided.

That probably is what will happen with the latest high-profile caddie-player saga. Even though the Woods-Williams partnership went beyond the usual caddie-player partnership and became a friendship, with Woods attending Williams’s wedding in New Zealand and Williams often going on jogs with Woods, it still was an employer-employee relationship, subject to change at the employer’s discretion.

Except now there is the Internet, text messaging, Twitter, the scandal, the 24-hour news cycle. And lawyers. A combustible mix.