PDA

View Full Version : Twitter war! (Stills sticks up for Broyles)

badger
7/20/2011, 10:38 AM
Just read. (http://newsok.com/ous-kenny-stills-criticizes-osu-receiver-justin-blackmon/article/3587294?custom_click=lead_story_title)

Stills comments came after former LSU defensive back — and Jim Thorpe Award winner — Patrick Peterson tweeted, “Everybody follow the best WR in the College Football this year and last year @jblack_81 (Blackmon).”

Stills responded to Peterson, asking “You mean @RyanBroyles?”

soonerloyal
7/20/2011, 10:43 AM
Somebody get David over there to mediate.

Boomer.....
7/20/2011, 10:50 AM
:pop:

Eielson
7/20/2011, 10:51 AM
Stills responded to Peterson, asking “You mean @RyanBroyles?”

He should have stopped there. He didn't need to talk about Blackmon's sloppy routes.

LVSOONER15
7/20/2011, 10:51 AM

Sam.England
7/20/2011, 10:53 AM
He should have stopped there. He didn't need to talk about Blackmon's sloppy routes.

Truth hurts...

in a couple seasons time im sure Stills will be up there for top WR!

OUVarsityXV
He should have said "everyone should follow the highest paid player in the NCAA Patrick Peterson"

SoonerHoops
Stills is just sticking up for his teammate, shouldn't have taken a jab at Blackmon though. DOK is going to publicize this like it's the biggest story of the year

badger
7/20/2011, 10:54 AM

Exactly. Plus, Blackmon's routes were perfect versus KSU. No sloppiness to be seen anywhere! [hairGel]

Mad Dog Madsen
7/20/2011, 10:54 AM

badger
7/20/2011, 10:56 AM
Bawwww, does the 1-starrer hate twitter? It's cool that Kenny sticks up for Ryan, but I am also surprised that it's the top headline on NewsOK right now :D

SoonerLB
7/20/2011, 10:57 AM
I'm glad he's sticking up for his team and buddy, but I wish these guys would all stay off twitter and not fool around and get in Bob's doghouse, just sayin' . . . ;)

yankee
7/20/2011, 10:59 AM
Haha I wonder if Kenny will have his tweeting priveleges revoked again.

mushu405
7/20/2011, 11:02 AM
Why is this news?

BoulderSooner79
7/20/2011, 11:04 AM
Why is this news?

Because it just happened.

Our posts here are even newer.

yankee
7/20/2011, 11:05 AM
Why is this news?

Because it's off-season. Haven't ya heard?

rekamrettuB
7/20/2011, 11:06 AM
Why is this news?

Twitting is where it's at these days...ain't you heard?

mushu405
7/20/2011, 11:24 AM
Twitting is where it's at these days...ain't you heard?

Last thing I heard the Bird is the word....

nativesooner
7/20/2011, 11:27 AM
Last thing I heard the Bird is the word....

:D me too!!

lol nevermind

soonervegas
7/20/2011, 11:33 AM
I was watching College Football Live on Tuesday and they had a question as to the top QB in 2011:

The first tweet they posted, KStills. It said something to the effect of "Landry Jones because of his sick receiving corps"

NormanPride
7/20/2011, 11:34 AM
Sigh. I take solace in the fact that we can't really rile them up any MORE to want to beat us.

KantoSooner
7/20/2011, 11:36 AM
Didn't Bob tell the kiddos to stay offa twitter?

mushu405
7/20/2011, 11:39 AM
:D me too!!

http://www.birdistheword.net/images/pg.jpg

Fail at inserting video

2WNrx2jq184

OU_Sooners75
7/20/2011, 12:03 PM
Now, before I puke in my mouth, I think Blackmon is a very good WR.

But to say he is the best, is a little far fetched.

All the guy does is run streaks or deep posts/flags. Weeden throws the ball up to him and hopes he can run under it. Blackmon does have good hands, but he is far from the best WR in college football.

When he can actually do more than run deep routes, when he can become a possession WR (like Bo was last year for OSU), then he may be the best.

But as it sits now, Broyles is just as dangerous deep. However, the biggest difference is Broyles can take a swing pass and turn it into a TD. He can also get the yardage in the middle for a first down.

You just do not see Blackmon doing that.

OU_Sooners75
7/20/2011, 12:07 PM
Fail at inserting video

2WNrx2jq184

FIFY

When posting a youtube vid, it is only the numbers/letters past the v= that you need for the video.

mushu405
7/20/2011, 12:12 PM
FIFY

When posting a youtube vid, it is only the numbers/letters past the v= that you need for the video.

Awesome sir. Thank you.

LakeRat
7/20/2011, 12:35 PM

All the guy does is run streaks or deep posts/flags. Weeden throws the ball up to him and hopes he can run under it. Blackmon does have good hands, but he is far from the best WR in college football.

When he can actually do more than run deep routes, when he can become a possession WR (like Bo was last year for OSU), then he may be the best.

But as it sits now, Broyles is just as dangerous deep. However, the biggest difference is Broyles can take a swing pass and turn it into a TD. He can also get the yardage in the middle for a first down.

Blackmon was hurt and had a hundo against us. This is guy is a top 3 receiver in the country. He is no slouch. The two others that have an argument as #1 is obviously Broyles and alshon.

OSUAggie
7/20/2011, 01:10 PM

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/lukin254/897-BoxingFail.gif

bettersoonerthenlater
7/20/2011, 01:13 PM

i agree with you because of broyles versatility he can do it all and do it all extremely well

OU_Sooners75
7/20/2011, 01:19 PM
Blackmon was hurt and had a hundo against us. This is guy is a top 3 receiver in the country. He is no slouch. The two others that have an argument as #1 is obviously Broyles and alshon.

Maybe you should actually read the very first sentence in my post again, then get back with me.

Also, I am talking far more than just against OU. Blackmon all season ran the deep routes and his route running is as sloppy as I have ever seen from a top WR.

Is Blackmon good? Yes, he is a very good wr...but far from the best.

BTW, watch the OU/OSU game again...I did just the other day when it was on ESPNU. When Blackmon was in he game, all he ran was deep streaks and flags/post patterns. In other games I watched OSU, all he ran was deep routes just like he did against OU.

Never did I see Blackmon used as a possession WR. The guy averaged over 16 yards per catch. He reminds me of a T.O. Wants the ball thrown to him all the time...but also drops a bunch of passes too.

badger
7/20/2011, 01:19 PM
Hey Aggie!
http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1132683/gallery_photo

Somewhere at the bottom of this pile is the football that Brandon Weeden fumbled while in victory formation!

...oh, sorry. We're onto a new argument now :D

OSUAggie pictured here (to the right of Blackmon) oogling the awesomeness that is Justin Blackmon.
http://blak4rest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/justin-blackmon.jpg

The first image that appears when you search for "Justin Blackmon" in Google:
http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2010/10/Justin-Blackmon.jpg

Justin Blackmon pictured with man in 40s announcing how far away Kansas State cornerbacks will be from him.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/files/2010/10/PX00130_9.jpg

Justin Blackmon hiding his face from the shame of defeat at the hands of the fairweather fan cheatin' gooners.
http://blog.newsok.com/photo/files/2010/12/blackmon-532x347.jpg

OU_Sooners75
7/20/2011, 01:20 PM
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/lukin254/897-BoxingFail.gif

So in other words, no rebuttal? Tell me what I said about Blackmon was false.

Oh, you cant, because it is 100% true. Blackmon, good, but not the best.

he runs some of the sloppiest routes, and all he does is run the deep routes.

He uses his speed and height over the average defender to grab balls, and in the process, he misses a lot of thrown balls.

Illuminati
7/20/2011, 01:29 PM
Kenny did nothing wrong. The news will make a story out of anything. **** them

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/20/2011, 01:42 PM
**** Oklahoma state

Aldebaran
7/20/2011, 01:43 PM
Which one is better?

SoCaliSooner
7/20/2011, 01:56 PM
Which one is better?

No shame in saying that Balckmon is a big receiver and makes plays...as does Broyles. When you look at Blackmon's size, he's a prototype receiver for the NFL, Broyles might be a slot type...but pure receiver you gotta give the unbiased nod to Blackmon.

Why didn't OU get Blackmon?

XingTheRubicon
7/20/2011, 02:02 PM
'cause we hate local kids

OU_Sooners75
7/20/2011, 02:03 PM
No shame in saying that Balckmon is a big receiver and makes plays...as does Broyles. When you look at Blackmon's size, he's a prototype receiver for the NFL, Broyles might be a slot type...but pure receiver you gotta give the unbiased nod to Blackmon.

Unbiased? I would say Ashlon of South Carolina.

Blackmon runs very sloppy routes, he misses a lot of thrown balls....and he hasnt shown that he can do anything other than be the deep threat.

StoopTroup
7/20/2011, 02:20 PM
M5f0wiONdA0&feature=player_embedded

LakeRat
7/20/2011, 02:44 PM
Maybe you should actually read the very first sentence in my post again, then get back with me.

Also, I am talking far more than just against OU. Blackmon all season ran the deep routes and his route running is as sloppy as I have ever seen from a top WR.

Is Blackmon good? Yes, he is a very good wr...but far from the best.

BTW, watch the OU/OSU game again...I did just the other day when it was on ESPNU. When Blackmon was in he game, all he ran was deep streaks and flags/post patterns. In other games I watched OSU, all he ran was deep routes just like he did against OU.

Never did I see Blackmon used as a possession WR. The guy averaged over 16 yards per catch. He reminds me of a T.O. Wants the ball thrown to him all the time...but also drops a bunch of passes too.

I read your post. You said the guy who won the Biletnekof (sp?) is a good receiver. I said he is a top 3.

My understanding of what your argument that he is "FAR" from the best is:
He is not a "possession WR".
He only runs deep streaks and flags/post patterns.
He drops a bunch of passes too.

My rebuttal to the arguments to "FAR" from the best:
You don't have to be a "possession WR". Randy Moss, TO etc. . . are not possession type guys.
"ONLY" is pretty much along the lines of never say never, and never say always.
Has any receiver ever caught every pass thrown at him? Broyles has had a couple drops.

My argument for him being an among the top 3: (I am not saying he is "THE" best. Just top 3.)
1. 16 yards a catch
2. 100 yard receiving games (1 against OU while hurt, and our defense wasn't not weak last year.)
3. Main target on his team. He didn't have two other major offensive threats all of last year. His RB was hurt quite abit last year and there wasn't another WR that was of the caliber of a Kenny Stills or even a Dejaun Miller. We also had a guy that set the all time TD record at OU.

So a guy that is constantly drawing bracket coverage b/c of the lack of other offensive options, consistently had 100 yard games. To me that puts you at least in the conversation of the best.

LakeRat
7/20/2011, 02:46 PM

OU didn't go after him according to Stoops. The WR coach at the time (I believe now the Houston coach, name slips me) said we didn't need him. So we never offered of pursued him. Last year Stoops said, we obviously missed that one.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/20/2011, 02:50 PM
Blackmon all season ran the deep routes and his route running is as sloppy as I have ever seen from a top WR.

Blackmon, good, but not the best. he runs some of the sloppiest routes, and all he does is run the deep routes.

Blackmon runs very sloppy routes, he misses a lot of thrown balls....and he hasnt shown that he can do anything other than be the deep threat.

Can you repeat that? I don't understand... Does he run sloppy routes or something? Is he just a deep threat? :rolleyes: ;)

Boomer38Sooner
7/20/2011, 03:02 PM
Does anyone think there will be punishment for Kenny?

nativesooner
7/20/2011, 03:15 PM
Fail at inserting video

2WNrx2jq184

Actually it was just a pic because I can't see youtube vids at work. Every time you guys have a "cool vid" to look at, all I see is this...

http://www.caltestservices.com/images/white_box.jpg

BoulderSooner79
7/20/2011, 03:35 PM
Does anyone think there will be punishment for Kenny?

Not for anything he has tweeted so far, but I fear he is just warming up :O

SoonerNomad
7/20/2011, 04:25 PM
Not for anything he has tweeted so far, but I fear he is just warming up :O

I agree. Someone tell him to get out of the house and go play catch with Landry or something. This tweeter thing is nuts. Kids making comments they used to say to an audience within the sound of their voice, and with no concept that it will be seen by everyone.

(I know its twitter but I wanted to make fun of it so I called it a dumb name. I also know I am old and I can't understand why twitter has become such a phenomenon nor why anyone would want to to express their thoughts, jokes and sarcastic observations to everyone with a computer).

CBUS_SOONER
7/20/2011, 05:30 PM
Kenny really needs to shut up... Bob needs to end this tweet crap... except for David

swardboy
7/20/2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah, no one can control David.

goingoneight
7/20/2011, 06:35 PM
A few things:

1. This Tweetle-Dumber site has become a cancer for college football programs. Players have always had pride and attitude, but they just don't have the common sense in general to acknowledge the consequences of their actions. It's bringing out the inner Larry Birdines in players all across the country.

2. Blackmon and Broyles are the two most lethal offensive weapons a quarterback will have at their expense this year. There is nothing I see Blackmon do that I'm not confident Broyles can't do. There are some things I have yet to see Blackmon do that Broyles does (possession receiver stuff and special teams action).

3. Until Dez Bryant came along, does anyone else notice a pattern with OSU? No one is saying Blackmon isn't a superstar, but don't we see this everytime OSU graduates a stud WR? They are to WRs what we are to QBs. Gundy has an incredible eye and knack for bringing out the star in the damndest of players. They ALWAYS have a good WR. When Blackmon's gone, odds are they'll have another. Like Texas Tech was with QBs under Leach, texas with DBs, OU with QBs and LBs. Certain staffs are great at developing certain positions. Again, no one is saying Blackmon's bad... I'm maybe suggesting a little bit that it's sort of a Graham Harrell versus Sam Bradford-kinda argument. Remember when they just refused to believe Mark Clayton was better than Rashaun Woods? Their only argument was a few outstanding games by Woods and numbers-numbers-numbers.

4. Broyles had the pressure of being an elite level receiver for over a year and a half with little help (all of 2009 until about mid-year 2010). Blackmon just suddenly emerged. There's something to be said for consistency.

5. Two teams, two different offenses, two completely different players. It's time to end this debate by saying they're the best two WRs in the country. Blackmon wouldn't get the number of balls thrown his way in an OU uniform this year that he did at OSU, nor would Broyles at OSU. For starters, OSU ran the ball better than OU did a year ago, so there's little need to go throwing flat passes to Broyles in an orange jersey all the time and there's only so many balls that could be thrown to Blackmon in a red jersey if he's sharing the field with Stills, Hanna, Millard, two or three pass-catching RBs, Miller, etc.

6. If we thought Malcolm Kelly was good, Blackmon was as good last year as MK was in his whole career, and they're the same mold of WR. Big guy, long strider, deep-threat and physical in one-on-one matchups. He'd unseat someone for starting time at OU for sure, but not a chance it's Broyles. Broyles is the catalyst for OU's offense.

7. Something nobody in orange will acknowledge... while Blackmon played admirably with a sore ankle, Broyles played on two heavily taped ankles for most of the second-half of the season after the injury in practice the week of the Missouri game, and then he sprained the other ankle DURING the Missouri game. Playing on a sprained ankle is difficult for sure, playing on two is amazing.

Kray
7/21/2011, 09:23 AM
It really wasn't "sticking up" - no one had attacked Ryan. Nobody should have an issue with him saying that RB is better than JB, but the utter nonsense being spewed that Blackmon isn't "close" to being elite receiver is an embarrassment to this board.

They are two different players. But hell, I'd take "sloppy route running" and a few dropped balls on the Sooner's team given Blackmon's performance. When did people get dumb enough to think actual on the field performance stopped counting?

Rocko
7/21/2011, 09:33 AM
I've noticed Blackmon gets the rep for being a "big" receiver. While 6'2" is no slouch (and I hear he's not even that), he's not towering over his CB's like a Fuller or D Miller.

He is a really powerful dude though, doesn't really get pushed around and this is why he took on Prince A. so well.

SoCaliSooner
7/21/2011, 11:40 AM
They are two different players. But hell, I'd take "sloppy route running" and a few dropped balls on the Sooner's team given Blackmon's performance. When did people get dumb enough to think actual on the field performance stopped counting?

Dude even played hurt and contributed.....

I am looking at you Malcolm Kelly

SoonerofAlabama
7/21/2011, 12:05 PM
The article title was what I thought was ridiculous. "Kenny Stills Criticizes Justin Blackmon". All he did was say Ryan Broyles. Just the media putting their spin on the story I guess.

Kray
7/21/2011, 12:16 PM
Saying he runs sloppy routes isn't critical? By what definition? (I'll add that I find nothing wrong with what he said). If he'd just said RB was better, nobody would have cared.

SoonerofAlabama
7/21/2011, 01:22 PM
Speaking of twitter. Ryan Broyles announced that they have started filming the new "There's Only One Oklahoma" video.

Hitting the course with @AdamLBarnett and @LandryJones12! Shooting the the "there's only one video" today! Hope they let me smile!

Here are some pics.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8821/x2745878e.jpg

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/6093/x27458ec1.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/986/x27458d56cii.jpg

btb916
7/21/2011, 10:49 PM
Dude even played hurt and contributed.....

I am looking at you Malcolm Kelly

I have a feeling Malcolm Kelly really just don't give a...

CowboyMRW
7/21/2011, 10:54 PM
The article title was what I thought was ridiculous. "Kenny Stills Criticizes Justin Blackmon". All he did was say Ryan Broyles. Just the media putting their spin on the story I guess.

He could've said you mean 85 and left it at that but when he went off on another tweet reply and said JB runs sloppy routes and the only way he can catch is by bodying up defenders is what pissed off all OSU fans.

JB is the only receiver to catch over 100 yards and a td in every single game in a year. I'll take that and his "sloppy route running" any day of the week.

SoonerofAlabama
7/21/2011, 10:57 PM
He could've said you mean 85 and left it at that but when he went off on another tweet reply and said JB runs sloppy routes and the only way he can catch is by bodying up defenders is what pissed off all OSU fans.

JB is the only receiver to catch over 100 yards and a td in every single game in a year. I'll take that and his "sloppy route running" any day of the week.

False. He didn't play against Kansas State. :P :D ;)

CowboyMRW
7/21/2011, 11:01 PM

I was waiting for Badger to come in with that one :D

agoo758
7/21/2011, 11:03 PM
Yeah, no one can control David.

Then we are doomed. :mad:

Fraggle145
7/22/2011, 01:58 AM

Except the one's he didnt play in?

SoonerofAlabama
7/22/2011, 02:07 AM
Except the one's he didnt play in?

This is what I said.

LakeRat
7/22/2011, 09:27 AM

Thats not true. He missed a game.

goingoneight
7/25/2011, 07:40 PM
Bottom line... Kenny Stills is still a young kid with a big mouth. This will eventually cost him. Whether it's someone knocking the dogshat out of him on the field or Stoops suspending him for his tendency to spout off all over teh innerwebs.

SoonerofAlabama
7/25/2011, 07:44 PM
Bottom line... Kenny Stills is still a young kid with a big mouth. This will eventually cost him. Whether it's someone knocking the dogshat out of him on the field or Stoops suspending him for his tendency to spout off all over teh innerwebs.

Just speaking of him showing off, I remember last year Stills spiking that football against TT. And then they showed Bob yelling at him on the sidelines. He has to learn.

MR2-Sooner86
7/25/2011, 07:47 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/bfd2.gif

I wish I could care but...I don't.

Broyles is much better looking than Blackmon however. We got them beat hands down in that department.

85sooners
7/26/2011, 03:38 PM
**** all the poke fans!!

picasso
7/26/2011, 03:45 PM
Just speaking of him showing off, I remember last year Stills spiking that football against TT. And then they showed Bob yelling at him on the sidelines. He has to learn.

He did learn. He never did it again.

You guys need to be careful of what you wish for. Being cocky is what makes some of these kids so good.
I'm not all for showboating and being mouthy but let's give him a little breathing room here.

LVSOONER15
7/26/2011, 03:56 PM
He did learn. He never did it again.

You guys need to be careful of what you wish for. Being cocky is what makes some of these kids so good.
I'm not all for showboating and being mouthy but let's give him a little breathing room here.

This, being cocky comes with the game. I think Stills backed it up last year, I am really excited to see this kid explode this year.