PDA

View Full Version : Shambaugh Transferring - Norman Transcript

Sooner11JK
7/20/2011, 07:50 AM
http://normantranscript.com/sports/x1100993241/Shambaugh-transferring

NORMAN — Cayle Shambaugh had plenty of time to let his mind wander during Oklahoma’s recently concluded baseball season. The Sooners logged 60 games. Shambaugh saw action in 11.

The down time allowed Shambaugh, a left-handed pitcher, to wax nostalgic about his football-playing days in high school.

“I missed football and I wanted to get back in it,” Shambaugh said. “It really hit me halfway through the year. It hit me since I was sitting around and not playing.”

That set the wheels in motion for Shambaugh’s transfer from OU to Northeastern State, in Tahlequah, where he will play both football and baseball.

Shambaugh confirmed his transfer to NSU in a phone interview with the Tahlequah Daily Press earlier this week.

“I visited NSU and really enjoyed it,” said Shambaugh, a 6-foot, 195-pound native of Jay.

Shambaugh believes he’ll play safety for the RiverHawks football team. He should add much-needed depth on the NSU pitching staff.

Per NCAA rules, neither NSU football coach Kenny Evans, nor baseball coach Travis Janssen are allowed to comment on Shambaugh until he is enrolled at NSU.

With the move from Division I to Division II, Shambaugh will be immediately eligible. Shambaugh, who is in Jay for the summer, said he’ll report to NSU by Aug. 5 for football practice.

It’s quite a decision.

“My dad (Mike) didn’t believe me when I told him,” said Shambaugh, who finished 1-0 with a 4.05 earned run average in 131⁄3 innings for the Sooners last spring.

To this point, Shambaugh has been in contact with Evans, but not Janssen.

“I haven’t met the new baseball coach yet,” said Shambaugh, who only played in one football game his senior year of high school after breaking his right arm in the first game of the 2009 season. “I figured I would give him some space, since his wife is expecting a baby and they’re trying to move from Alabama.”

After a season at the Division I level, Shambaugh said he gained some valuable lessons that he’ll take with him to NSU.

“I picked up maturity and the getting used to the college schedule,” he said. “It’s all about getting up, lifting weights, going to class and then practice. It’s just about managing your schedule.”

The relocation to Tahlequah also allows Shambaugh to be nearer to his hometown.

“It’s always nicer to be closer to home,” he said. “It’ll also be nice for my parents to be 45 minutes away, so they’ll be able to watch me play.”

TumbleweedDoom
7/20/2011, 08:41 AM
I heard that that this one was happening last month through acquaintances of the family. Hate the lose the kid, but not sure where the heck he was going to get the playing time he wanted last season considering the positions he played (P/corner OF) were the deepest on the team.

Of course, if he'd just waited patiently until next season, things would have opened up in both spots. But patience is something players today in all sports simply don't have anymore.

bcolston15
7/20/2011, 10:53 AM
I bet he comes back to OU before his career is over...

hvhurricane
7/25/2011, 07:48 PM
I heard that that this one was happening last month through acquaintances of the family. Hate the lose the kid, but not sure where the heck he was going to get the playing time he wanted last season considering the positions he played (P/corner OF) were the deepest on the team.

Of course, if he'd just waited patiently until next season, things would have opened up in both spots. But patience is something players today in all sports simply don't have anymore.

As a player who transferred during my career, you have a pretty good feel on whether or not you are going to get an opportunity the next year. By the sound of this article, it doesn't seem like he felt he was going to get an opportunity next year to play.

Pillmanj
7/25/2011, 11:10 PM
Per a close high school classmate of his that works with me....Ryan Gibson is transferring to OCU

bcolston15
7/26/2011, 04:40 PM
Per a close high school classmate of his that works with me....Ryan Gibson is transferring to OCU

So far, these are the guys that won't be back (That i'm aware of):

Ryan Gibson
Drew Dahlberg
Cale Coshow
Casey Coyle (Not 100% on this one)
Cayle Shambaugh

In total, that's probably about 1.7 scholarships.

Pillmanj
7/26/2011, 10:44 PM
So far, these are the guys that won't be back (That i'm aware of):

Ryan Gibson
Drew Dahlberg
Cale Coshow
Casey Coyle (Not 100% on this one)
Cayle Shambaugh

In total, that's probably about 1.7 scholarships.

Why is Dahlberg leaving?? He seemed to get a good amount of PT throughout the year.

bcolston15
7/26/2011, 11:29 PM
Why is Dahlberg leaving?? He seemed to get a good amount of PT throughout the year.

From what I've heard he's not big on the daily grind it takes to play in college.

IndySooner
7/27/2011, 07:19 AM
From what I've heard he's not big on the daily grind it takes to play in college.

Having been there and done that (and quit for that very reason) I can't blame the guy. At some point for everyone, baseball stops being fun. That's when it's time to quit.

oldtimer
7/27/2011, 01:47 PM
I think Mr. Indy has a good point. Coach G's team speech the end of 2011 saying he was going to be more stern in 2012 had it's impact. This topic probably leads to a new thread entitled "2011 Season Aftermath" or something close. The 2011 season ended much too soon with a team having experience and potential. 2012 will be the opposite. The end result of the seniors leaving, the Draft, and growing number of departees means almost 60% of the entire 2011 team will change over - this is huge. Look at the numbers:

2011 Player roster - 35 players -- 10 seniors left, 5 key juniors Drafted, and 5 departees (so far). That's 20 out of 35.

Incoming crew of 13 (less the 4-5 of those Drafted & gone) breakdown:
(5) RHP - 4 from JUCO, (2) LHP, (3) IF, (2) OF, and (1) C.
I show 20 going out and 13 coming in (counting Taylor, Raper, & Roberts)?? Is that what LA Dodger math looks like...

I'm really concerned with the 2012 RHP pitching staff. We're bringing in 4 JUCO players who'll need time to adjust to D1 and have zero seasoned right hand pitchers to lean on. Couple that with our new pitching coach being a solid offensive coach but damn little if any actual D1 pitching experience as a player or coach. Confused at what these new pitchers will be learning from Tadlock exactly. Doesn't seem practical they will be developing a new pitch at OU anytime soon let alone the tough minded control required of a new Closer... We're blessed with two retuning Leftees in John and Overton. We can hope a newbee with a great name of Magnifico can follow his namesake. Then what?

Our returning list of six seniors had an average BBCOR BA in the range of .260-.290 with Woody being the most consistent but only a singles hitter. Opponents will plan to pitch around White & Reine and throw sliders to Harrison and Toal and we're done early. Without true work horses like Smith, Rocha, Ogle, Buechele, and Seitzer pulling the wagon, things look dim to me.

I wish I could see more from Coach G to make me more optimistic!

IndySooner
7/27/2011, 02:09 PM
First of all, this team NEEDED turnover. I'm not sure what to think of the coaching situation, etc., but there's no doubt that the team needed turnover.

Second, I think you underestimate what we have coming back--and potentially coming in. Did I miss, for example, where Ogle signed? Did Smith sign, too? Hadn't seen either one.

As for the Tadlock move, none of us have ANY idea how he will handle the pitching staff, nor do we know how much he knows about the mechanics of pitching. It's WAY too early to bash the move, though it's also too early to praise it.

If Ogle and Smith come back, the rotation looks solid at worst and the lineup isn't too shabby, either. We have some holes for sure, but there's no reason to think someone won't step in (remember when we had no one to fill JT Wise's shoes?).

TumbleweedDoom
7/27/2011, 03:33 PM
Yeah, we barely returned any starters in 2010 and that season definitely sucked. Good call oldtimer.

bcolston15
7/27/2011, 04:18 PM
I think managing the pitching will be a joint effort between Tadlock and SG.

oldtimer
7/27/2011, 05:58 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't think this Team needed to be turned over. If you'd ask (10) D1 baseball coaches tomorrow that starting next season you'd give them 8 returning starters from the CWS and let them go 16-0 to start their season, that any one of them would hesitate to coach that team. As far as mid-March of last season, the Sooner team was ranked in the top 5 in the country. Did some of the team develop an attitude, a poor work ethic, and/or some weaknesses, Yep they did. In my day, those issues fell on the Coaching Staff to fix. Somehow that issue never got addressed, and I'm not talking just about only Coach G. At times, our offense took a nap and other times 7 blown saves cried out for a change in pitching philosophy. Didn't happen. Those issues should have had Tadlock & Bell held accountable to hold their players accountable. How many strong players would have stayed if the team atmosphere was better??

It's too easy to say the 2011 team was over-rated. They had a lot of talent but even then was short of top caliber pitching. Rocha and Smith had very nice runs but the bullpen approach was shaky and eventually came to light.

As far JT's replacement, Ogle & Hubbard were on board for a year learning the ropes prior to his departure. Unfortunately Hub got hurt and it was G's decision to let Groth play early in 2010 until Ogle's bat took off. That goes with my statement about our 2012 pitching staff being rookies and will take time to develop. Besides John and Overton the whole staff is new to D1 level play and will be taking direction from non-pitching coaches. Ouch! I am a fan but sorry - I'm not drinking the Kool-aid that says 2012 will be a strong year!

IndySooner
7/27/2011, 06:52 PM
I repeat......Did I miss where Burch Smith signed? Ogle?

We are returning three of the four pitchers who started for us last year at this point. If Smith leaves, make that 50% of our starting staff.

We're returning the middle of the infield, catcher and three outfielders who have been major contributing starters, all of which were major contributors on the CWS team.

The cupboard is not bare. Not even close. It's easy to let the end of last year cloud our judgment, but we have a shot at being very competitive next year.

bcolston15
7/27/2011, 10:00 PM
You haven't seen any of the new guys in a Sooner uniform yet and you're already passing judement on the outlook for next season...

We knew Buechele, Seitzer, Duke, Shore, Rocha, CJ, Seng and a few others were gone before the season started. Why is heavy turnover a surprise? We expected that.

I don't know what next year will bring, but i'm definitely going to wait until I see the team to make a prediction.

TumbleweedDoom
7/28/2011, 01:17 AM
We knew Buechele, Seitzer, Duke, Shore, Rocha, CJ, Seng and a few others were gone before the season started. Why is heavy turnover a surprise? We expected that.

because, it's an easy way to for the SG haters to gain fuel.

takingastand
7/28/2011, 07:56 AM
because, it's an easy way to for the SG haters to gain fuel.

No outside fuel is needed for the ones that feel he has made poor coaching decisions. SG takes care of that fuel.

TumbleweedDoom
7/28/2011, 10:09 AM
No outside fuel is needed for the ones that feel he has made poor coaching decisions. SG takes care of that fuel.

Yeah he's doing a horrible job. I was thinking just that when walking through the airport with my Oklahoma 2010 CWS shirt yesterday and some Alabama and LSU fans stopped me and complimented me on our successes. Good call, takingadump.

Gaius_Longinus
7/28/2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah he's doing a horrible job. I was thinking just that when walking through the airport with my Oklahoma 2010 CWS shirt yesterday and some Alabama and LSU fans stopped me and complimented me on our successes. Good call, takingadump.

wicked sacarism ... lovez it

takingastand
7/28/2011, 11:38 AM

Of course, the team has had successes....no one denying that. The team has had plenty of talent, but have you or any of your family members played for this coach?

bcolston15
7/28/2011, 01:05 PM
But have you or any of your family members played for this coach?

Maybe yours have...

rysooner
7/28/2011, 02:11 PM
but have you or any of your family members played for this coach?

Details, give us details :pop:

IndySooner
7/28/2011, 04:11 PM
Of course, the team has had successes....no one denying that. The team has had plenty of talent, but have you or any of your family members played for this coach?

And......my suspicions are confirmed.

TumbleweedDoom
7/28/2011, 06:09 PM
Yep, takingadump pretty much lost all credibility with that last post.

takingastand
7/28/2011, 08:15 PM
Yep, takingadump pretty much lost all credibility with that last post.

Whether you agree or disagree with my opinion doesn't matter to me....I sure won't lose sleep over it. The truth always comes out in the end. But, for all the SG lovers it's sad how no one will make any negative comment and yet you will have to say things like "it's an easy way to give all the SG haters fuel". Please, no one has ever said they HATED SG. Finding faults with a coaching style suddenly makes us haters? All I am asking is those that seem to think what happened last year had nothing to do with the coaching: have YOU or any of your family members ever played for him? Simple question...Sadly, many in this forum can only use sarcasm or putdowns to try to make a point.

IndySooner
7/28/2011, 08:48 PM
Honestly, you're not helping your cause by referencing the fact that either you, or a family member, played for Sunny Golloway.

The fact of the matter is that most, if not all, of us understand that Sunny's not an easy guy to play for or work with for that matter. We all understand that there are internal issues, etc., that come out pretty much every year. We also know that most of those issues come from players and families of players who aren't happy with playing time, etc., for what ever reason. Most of us are also close enough to the program to figure out who is causing the problems internally and externally. That's the bottom line.

I know most of the guys who post a lot here, and all of us have one thing in common, a love for OU baseball. Like it or not, Sunny Golloway wins and that's good for OU baseball. If he stops winning, he'll wear out his welcome quickly. Until then, though, I don't know what to say other than "sorry" to the players and families who get their feelings hurt. I'm more worried about the name on the front of the jersey than the names (that come and go FREQUENTLY in college baseball) on the back.

Sooner11JK
7/28/2011, 11:11 PM
Honestly, you're not helping your cause by referencing the fact that either you, or a family member, played for Sunny Golloway.

The fact of the matter is that most, if not all, of us understand that Sunny's not an easy guy to play for or work with for that matter. We all understand that there are internal issues, etc., that come out pretty much every year. We also know that most of those issues come from players and families of players who aren't happy with playing time, etc., for what ever reason. Most of us are also close enough to the program to figure out who is causing the problems internally and externally. That's the bottom line.

I know most of the guys who post a lot here, and all of us have one thing in common, a love for OU baseball. Like it or not, Sunny Golloway wins and that's good for OU baseball. If he stops winning, he'll wear out his welcome quickly. Until then, though, I don't know what to say other than "sorry" to the players and families who get their feelings hurt. I'm more worried about the name on the front of the jersey than the names (that come and go FREQUENTLY in college baseball) on the back.

Preach on Indy, preach on.......

perryj
7/29/2011, 08:22 AM
Amen Indy!

sperry
8/1/2011, 05:45 PM

Obviously the guy can coach, but him being widely reputed as a jerk that players don't get along with can't be good for long term success.

perryj
8/1/2011, 06:57 PM
Obviously the guy can coach, but him being widely reputed as a jerk that players don't get along with can't be good for long term success.

Except the guy has won everywhere he has ever been including being on the coaching staff the last few times the Sooners made it to Omaha.

sperry
8/3/2011, 02:31 PM
Except the guy has won everywhere he has ever been including being on the coaching staff the last few times the Sooners made it to Omaha.

He can obviously coach, as I've said before. Being a jerk will lose you players and coaches though as it has in the past.

perryj
8/4/2011, 08:54 AM
He can obviously coach, as I've said before. Being a jerk will lose you players and coaches though as it has in the past.

He must be one hell of a coach then. To constantly lose players and coaches and still win at the level he has won at.

I get it. Some of you don't like the guy. I don't personally know the guy except for hanging out with him and his staff for a day. He at the VERY worst put on a damn good show for 12 hours. He was very gracious and personable and he drove all the way out to Woodward without anything to gain for himself.

With all that said I don't care if the guy is someone I'd like to have a beer with or not. As long as he wins ballgames and runs as clean a program as possible I'm on board.

rysooner
8/4/2011, 10:42 AM
He must be one hell of a coach then. To constantly lose players and coaches and still win at the level he has won at.

I get it. Some of you don't like the guy. I don't personally know the guy except for hanging out with him and his staff for a day. He at the VERY worst put on a damn good show for 12 hours. He was very gracious and personable and he drove all the way out to Woodward without anything to gain for himself.

With all that said I don't care if the guy is someone I'd like to have a beer with or not. As long as he wins ballgames and runs as clean a program as possible I'm on board.

This.