PDA

View Full Version : Attention chile heads!

Sooner24
7/19/2011, 10:45 PM
The 2011 Hatch chile festival at Central Market is August 17-31.

That is all.

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/19/2011, 11:29 PM
http://i.infoplease.com/images/mchile.gif

the-rover
7/20/2011, 08:38 AM

That is all.

Sweet! Nothing finer than fresh Hatch chiles

Wish I could go.

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2011, 08:54 AM
Bring your beans to add to the meat sauce!!!!!!!

Fugue
7/20/2011, 09:07 AM
Lake Titicaca

KantoSooner
7/20/2011, 09:25 AM
Roast a hatch green, strip out the pulp and rough chop with some kosher or other coarse salt. Pile on top of a freshly grilled steak. Consume with lots of ice cold beer.
One of life's simple pleasures.

OutlandTrophy
7/20/2011, 09:31 AM
beans, gotta have beans in your chili.

I also like to use a combo of hamburger, stew meat and sausage.

WichitaSooner
7/20/2011, 09:39 AM
beans, gotta have beans in your chili.

I also like to use a combo of hamburger, stew meat and sausage.

I don't think you know what kind of chile is sold in hatch. lol

OutlandTrophy
7/20/2011, 09:44 AM
are you saying that they don't sell Wolf Brand in Hatch?

Sooner24
7/21/2011, 01:13 PM

http://pueblopublishing.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/hatch-chile-cookbook.jpg

AlbqSooner
7/21/2011, 07:45 PM
Freshly Roasted and peeled Hatch Green Chile. big slabs lined up on a flour tortilla with cheddar cheese. Heat till the cheese melts. Stuff it down your throat. Tonguegasmic!!

StoopTroup
7/21/2011, 08:37 PM
Freshly Roasted and peeled Hatch Green Chile. big slabs lined up on a flour tortilla with cheddar cheese. Heat till the cheese melts. Stuff it down your throat. Tonguegasmic!!

YUM!

You seem to be felling better if you are cheesing up your chile! :pop:

GDC
7/22/2011, 08:58 PM
I miss New Mexico.

Lott's Bandana
7/22/2011, 09:30 PM

That is all.

Called today. They'll have roasters on site. Gonna fill up a trunk with at least a hunny pounds.

Thanks for the heads-up, 24.

Sooner24
7/22/2011, 11:22 PM
Called today. They'll have roasters on site. Gonna fill up a trunk with at least a hunny pounds.

Thanks for the heads-up, 24.

Glad to get the word out.

The roasters are set up right outside the entrance and they offer samples as you go in. They have the chiles in everything you can imagine. They sell them raw, roasted, in cheese, bread, sausages and they even had them in gellato. I will stocking up in a few weeks. :hot:

Sooner24
8/16/2011, 09:00 AM
Starts tomorrow!

http://www.centralmarket.com/

Lott's Bandana
8/16/2011, 09:03 AM
I will be hitting DFW this weekend, with two large coolers.

Sooner24
8/16/2011, 10:43 AM
I'm going to try to bump this every day of the event. You don't want to miss this.

OutlandTrophy
8/16/2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/OT496123S.jpg
on sale every day all day at my local Homeland

soonerinabilene
8/16/2011, 01:28 PM
United supermarkets has been doing a Hatch festival this past week... They have fresh made green chile pound cake that is freaking unbelievable

Sooner24
8/16/2011, 01:39 PM
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/OT496123S.jpg
on sale every day all day at my local Homeland

That's chili with an i not an e.

OutlandTrophy
8/16/2011, 01:50 PM
That's chili with beans. mmmmmmm

soonerinabilene
8/16/2011, 01:53 PM
Thats 2 rolls of charmin.

Sooner24
8/16/2011, 02:08 PM
Thats 2 rolls of charmin.

And a fist full of tums.

NormanPride
8/16/2011, 02:41 PM
Green chili pound cake... How do I make this?

GKeeper316
8/16/2011, 09:26 PM

aint no meat in wolf brand chili. its textured soy product and it sucks!

at least wendy's uses burgers that didn't sell before they got dried out

SanJoaquinSooner
8/16/2011, 09:42 PM
give me your signature hatch chile recipe

Sooner24
8/17/2011, 10:32 AM
Today is the day!!!!

Sooner24
8/18/2011, 08:50 PM
Bump!

GDC
8/22/2011, 10:53 AM
give me your signature hatch chile recipe

I don't know the recipe, but there is a restaurant in Las Cruces called Nopalito's, and they serve a warm green chile salsa that is unbelievably delicious. It's equally good with or without queso added to it.

Sooner24
8/22/2011, 10:54 AM
Went down this weekend and loaded up with Hatch products for another year. http://www.soonerfans.com/images/icons/icon14.png

NormanPride
8/22/2011, 10:55 AM
This new forum sucks because nobody will tell me how to make hatch chile pound cake.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/22/2011, 11:13 AM
I roasted a bunch of Hatch chilies over the weekend. So good. I may have to bring some to the tailgate.

Sooner24
8/22/2011, 11:41 AM
This new forum sucks because nobody will tell me how to make hatch chile pound cake.

http://www.centralmarket.com/Recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?rid=81342

NormanPride
8/22/2011, 02:57 PM
Oh, so it's just pound cake with hatch chiles on top? I was hoping for chile infused pound cake.

Lott's Bandana
8/22/2011, 03:39 PM
I brought back 108 pounds of roasted goodness. Peeled 'em and most are in the freezer.

Got Hatch scones...amazing. Hatch remoulade on Hatch crabcakes...orgasmic. Hatch goat cheese spread, hatch flour tortillas...much more.

Big HIGH-FIVE to 24 for sharing the festival information...saved me a trip next weekend to NM!

Sooner24
8/23/2011, 01:48 PM
I brought back 108 pounds of roasted goodness. Peeled 'em and most are in the freezer.

Got Hatch scones...amazing. Hatch remoulade on Hatch crabcakes...orgasmic. Hatch goat cheese spread, hatch flour tortillas...much more.

Big HIGH-FIVE to 24 for sharing the festival information...saved me a trip next weekend to NM!

Which Central Market did you go to? We usually go to the Southlake market but went to the Plano market this time?

Lott's Bandana
8/23/2011, 02:30 PM
Which Central Market did you go to? We usually go to the Southlake market but went to the Plano market this time?

Southlake. It was stoopid to get there at noon, but I didn't have much choice. Relative to all the other markets, this one seemed to be the easiest in/easiest out.

I will say, the employees out front doing all the roasting in 105 degree heat sure were all excited about their chiles. They couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful.

We made a sight with our six cases of chiles piled high on our shopping carts in a parking lot full of Lexus SUV's.

Sooner24
8/23/2011, 02:47 PM
Southlake. It was stoopid to get there at noon, but I didn't have much choice. Relative to all the other markets, this one seemed to be the easiest in/easiest out.

I will say, the employees out front doing all the roasting in 105 degree heat sure were all excited about their chiles. They couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful.

We made a sight with our six cases of chiles piled high on our shopping carts in a parking lot full of Lexus SUV's.

That's funny you said that.

My wife and I made a contest out of counting the Lexus SUV's all weekend in Dallas. That is by far the car of choice in the Metroplex. In the Central Market parking lot alone in one row 6 out of 8 vehicles that were Lexus SUV's

Lott's Bandana
8/23/2011, 03:31 PM
I read an interesting article a few years ago in a Dallas magazine, you know the one...full of ads for plastic surgery, furniture and real estate...anyway, this fella's essay was about how he was in the market for a new vehicle and went on and on how much he loved the Buick Enclave and how it would be perfect for him and his family, the price was right, etc.

However, he purchased a BMW that was 30% higher-priced because he couldn't tolerate the grief and silent loathing he would receive from his neighbors and co-workers if he had a Buick parked in his driveway.

He completely admitted to the idiocy of what he did, but he also made it clear what it is like living on one of that town's burbs.

C&CDean
8/23/2011, 03:37 PM
Momma made her homemade chile verde on Sunday. It's been sitting in the fridge since letting the flavors blend. We're having it tonight with homemade tortillas, frijoles, and cerveza.

She spends all day on that ****. Cutting up pork but into little squares, trimming out all the fat. Then she fries it in olive oil and salt/pepper. Then she roasts tomatillos, chiles, jalapenos, garlic adds some cilantro, and eventually puts it all in a blender. Then she sautees more garlic and onion, and adds the meat she set aside, and stirs in the mixture and tops it off with chicken stock. Cooks for several hours until pork is fork tender. Lets it age a couple days to blend the flavor, and I guarantee you've never had better chile verde than this. Anywhere.

the-rover
8/23/2011, 04:07 PM
Momma made her homemade chile verde on Sunday. It's been sitting in the fridge since letting the flavors blend. We're having it tonight with homemade tortillas, frijoles, and cerveza.

She spends all day on that ****. Cutting up pork but into little squares, trimming out all the fat. Then she fries it in olive oil and salt/pepper. Then she roasts tomatillos, chiles, jalapenos, garlic adds some cilantro, and eventually puts it all in a blender. Then she sautees more garlic and onion, and adds the meat she set aside, and stirs in the mixture and tops it off with chicken stock. Cooks for several hours until pork is fork tender. Lets it age a couple days to blend the flavor, and I guarantee you've never had better chile verde than this. Anywhere.

Sounds real good, we make our own as well...very similar type recipe. The only difference mainly is no way does it last long enough to age for a couple days.

My brother went to NM on a fishing trip last week and I haven't gotten my order of chiles yet. :(

GDC
8/23/2011, 04:07 PM
You can never speak Spanish until you drink goat's milk and sleep with a Mexican woman.

Lott's Bandana
8/23/2011, 04:50 PM
Bro, let me get Momma a quart of these Hatch MF's to make her chile verde from soon. You will kiss me.

On second thought...

C&CDean
8/23/2011, 04:57 PM
On second thought, I'll let her do the kissing...

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9942/dsc0369wx.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/dsc0369wx.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Lott's Bandana
8/23/2011, 05:11 PM
Dayum, you are the allsomest friend!

Cheerin' 4 OU
8/24/2011, 08:11 AM
Anyone in the OKC area that's interested in buying Hatch Chile can buy it at Homeland on SW 44th and May. We called around last week to find out when they'd be delivered and they told us that the Homeland on 44th and South May will get 25 bags, and that their roasters will be there on September 2nd.

I went ahead and bought a bag and it's nice, hot, and amazingly flavorful, so if you're willing to brave that side of town (which isn't even half as bad as everyone says), that's probably where you wanna go.

Also, I hate myself for posting where others can buy it, therefore limiting my supply. :)

GDC
8/24/2011, 11:01 AM
Dean's description of chile verde is making me so friggin hungry right now...

Lott's Bandana
8/24/2011, 11:53 AM
Anyone in the OKC area that's interested in buying Hatch Chile can buy it at Homeland on SW 44th and May. We called around last week to find out when they'd be delivered and they told us that the Homeland on 44th and South May will get 25 bags, and that their roasters will be there on September 2nd.

I went ahead and bought a bag and it's nice, hot, and amazingly flavorful, so if you're willing to brave that side of town (which isn't even half as bad as everyone says), that's probably where you wanna go.

Also, I hate myself for posting where others can buy it, therefore limiting my supply. :)

I'm confused. Are you saying they are there now and the roasters are coming later? Did you buy an unroasted bag? Please elaborate, I want more!

StoopTroup
8/24/2011, 12:38 PM
I wonder what kind of chili Edith made Archie?

Cheerin' 4 OU
8/25/2011, 01:10 AM
I'm confused. Are you saying they are there now and the roasters are coming later? Did you buy an unroasted bag? Please elaborate, I want more!

They have loose chiles - stuff they normally put out on display and sell by the pound for $1.49/lb. That stuff is already here. I bought some, brought it home, and then roasted it myself.

However, I've decided that I wanna be lazy, soooooo, I was able to order two more 25lb bags of chiles and a bag of jalapenos for them to roast for me when the roasters are here. I'm now wondering if I can get some tomatoes roasted too during that time, because that would just be the greatest thing ever!

The price is going down on them soonish but have no idea how much. I do know, though, that they promised me that because I ordered the bags ahead of time, they'd discount them to be comparable to if I were to actually buy the chile in Hatch.

My advice is for you to call your local Homeland to see if they have the fresh stuff. I saw it in the sales circular for Homeland, so I'm really thinking that all local Homeland stores have them, but in limited supply. I do know that the roasters will only be at the Homeland on SW 44th and May and none of the other stores will have them. Also, the store here was only able to get the hot variety which was insanely hot for me to eat on the first day, but on the second day and every day since then, they've been mild at best.

I'm considering buying several more bags (maybe 3 or 4) to freeze and give to friends in New England and Florida who have no access to it.

AlbqSooner
8/25/2011, 07:03 AM
However, I've decided that I wanna be lazy, soooooo, I was able to order two more 25lb bags of chiles and a bag of jalapenos for them to roast for me when the roasters are here. I'm now wondering if I can get some tomatoes roasted too during that time, because that would just be the greatest thing ever!

I hope you realize that when they roast a bag for you, you have to take them home, let them cool, and individually peel each chile before you use or freeze them. If they are 25 lb bags, someone is dipping their pen in the company ink. Hatch chiles are packed in 30 lb bags. Sounds like the driver is stocking his freezer at the cost of Oklahoma consumers.

Cheerin' 4 OU
8/25/2011, 10:28 AM
Of course I realize I have to peel them when I get them home. It's a thousand degrees outside. Do I wanna stand out in that heat to roast my own only to have to peel them, or do I have someone else stand outside in the heat to roast them before I take them home to freeze them and peel them when I'm ready to use them? Easy choice.

I am aware that in NM, it comes in 30lb bags. The cost of gasoline needed to drive to NM to get that extra five pounds doesn't justify making that trip though. I'm also aware that my aunt in Las Cruces is able to buy 30lb bags for $20 while we in Oklahoma have to pay $1.49 per pound.

One bite of a Hatch Chile Relleno makes it worth it though. Mmm

Lott's Bandana
8/25/2011, 12:30 PM
Central Market sells theirs for $29 per bag, roasted, which is right out of the box. They claim that the roasting results in an 18-20lb bag of yummy goodness. I watched them take the chiles out of the box and into the roaster, then into a bag, so I tend to believe them.

I want to get some hot. I bought mild at Central Market because they had samples that were quite spicy...however, since I peeled and stored them, the heat has dissipated considerably.

Thanks for the info...I think I'll go over to that May Homeland and advance purchase a box of hot.

Sooner24
8/25/2011, 12:51 PM
Central Market sells theirs for $29 per bag, roasted, which is right out of the box. They claim that the roasting results in an 18-20lb bag of yummy goodness. I watched them take the chiles out of the box and into the roaster, then into a bag, so I tend to believe them.

I want to get some hot. I bought mild at Central Market because they had samples that were quite spicy...however, since I peeled and stored them, the heat has dissipated considerably.

Thanks for the info...I think I'll go over to that May Homeland and advance purchase a box of hot.

The difference between going to Homeland and Central market is the fact not only do they sell the chiles at CM but they infuse the chiles into cheese, bread, queso, sausages and the list goes on. They even sell gelato with Hatch in it.

Lott's Bandana
8/25/2011, 12:57 PM
The difference between going to Homeland and Central market is the fact not only do they sell the chiles at CM but they infuse the chiles into cheese, bread, queso, sausages and the list goes on. They even sell gelato with Hatch in it.

Yes, but this upcoming weekend, a big difference is the distance!

<munching on a Hatch scone>

Lott's Bandana
8/25/2011, 10:17 PM
I went to Homeland in Norman on Alameda tonight. It occurred to me I was in Homeland. It occurred to me to ask about Hatch chiles...

...brought 3 more cases home with me tonight. $27.99 per. This time, I got HOT and I'll have to do the roasting myself.

No worries, no football this weekend anyway...now I gots sumpin to do!

Sooner24
8/25/2011, 11:32 PM
Found out tonight the Homeland on Ardmore is going to be roasting them here too.

BigTip
8/25/2011, 11:41 PM
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/Images/Artists/RB/ChilWill.gif

Lott's Bandana
8/26/2011, 11:50 AM
I just finished roasting a case on my grill, they are steaming now.

Took me 3 hours.

I know there will come a cold day in February I'll rilly, rilly be glad I did this...Hatch chile verde enchiladas, baby.

OutlandTrophy
8/26/2011, 01:26 PM
this whole Hatch green chile process seems very complicated.

Lott's Bandana
8/26/2011, 01:34 PM
this whole Hatch green chile process seems very complicated.

It kind of is. And some of us are a bit over the top about it, but Hatch is the Napa of quality chile production.

If you can purchase them where they are being roasted, then all you have to do is get them peeled. This is not difficult, just don't touch your eyes while doing it. Then you can freeze what you have and use them throughout the year.

The peeling is very similar to catchin a mess of Crappie and fileting them before throwing them in the batter. Takes some time but it's worth it.

85Sooner
8/26/2011, 02:01 PM
If I may..................Central market is awesome and I am very proud to say that our little family business. www.smallwoodgeneralspice.com has just been asked by the stores in Austin to carry our product.

Lott's Bandana
8/26/2011, 07:11 PM
If I may..................Central market is awesome and I am very proud to say that our little family business. www.smallwoodgeneralspice.com has just been asked by the stores in Austin to carry our product.

Hi5!