PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Vets/others: Advice for young female

SanJoaquinSooner
7/19/2011, 10:34 PM
I have a niece who graduated from high school last May. She's a very good student and physically fit. If it were your niece or daughter what paths of opportunities would you recommend if she were to consider enlisting in the Air Force?

SicEmBaylor
7/19/2011, 10:37 PM
My cousin left OSU with just a year left to join the AF. I didn't approve of her dropping out of school, but she's very happy in the air force. She went the security forces route and was assigned to a base outside of Boston.

Now...she's not just joining to get citizenship is she?

GKeeper316
7/19/2011, 10:37 PM
I have a niece who graduated from high school last May. She's a very good student and physically fit. If it were your niece or daughter what paths of opportunities would you recommend if she were to consider enlisting in the Air Force?

medical. x-ray tech is the best military job right now, if she's looking to learn a trade that will always be in demand when she's done her 4 years, and pay well.

olevetonahill
7/19/2011, 10:42 PM
Tell her dont narrow it to just AF. consider all the branches . They all have similar needs, But what shes interested in doing may not be available in the AF but the Army may need people in that field.

She should try and decide what she would Like to do for lifes work then See which branch offers that training .

tell her Good luck.

soonerboomer93
7/19/2011, 10:54 PM
They have some very good programming/computers ones but you have to score high on tests.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/19/2011, 10:55 PM
My cousin left OSU with just a year left to join the AF. I didn't approve of her dropping out of school, but she's very happy in the air force. She went the security forces route and was assigned to a base outside of Boston.

Now...she's not just joining to get citizenship is she?

She landed on U.S. soil when she was born, Delano CA, so she's already a citizen.

SoCaliSooner
7/19/2011, 11:08 PM
She landed on U.S. soil when she was born, Delano CA, so she's already a citizen.

Not much in Delano except a prison. Dad a C/O?

ouwasp
7/19/2011, 11:11 PM
She might consider the Air Nat'l Guard. Get a taste of the military, see if she would want to go full time. They get the same training as the regulars do. I don't know that I'd recommend Security (that's what I did) unless she's interested in a law enforcement career. The medical field was a good idea.

A former student of mine surprised a lot of people when she suddenly joined the Navy right out of h.s. instead of going to college. She wrangled an Intell slot. Loves it. Been in for prolly 15 yrs.

She should take the ASVAB test; perhaps she already did in high school. That would let her know what paths may be open for her. A recruiter could set that up for her if she hasn't taken it.

But beware... from what I understand, some time ago the Navy made it real easy to get into their Nuclear Power whatever, and as soon as the recruit "washed out", they were quickly sent into some other field (USN's choice) "for the good of the service"...

SanJoaquinSooner
7/19/2011, 11:19 PM
Not much in Delano except a prison. Dad a C/O?

No. Her parents were in ag. Kern County does close to 4 billion/year in agriculture.

But they live close to me in San Joaquin Co. now.

SoCaliSooner
7/19/2011, 11:27 PM
No. Her parents were in ag. Kern County does close to 4 billion/year in agriculture.

But they live close to me in San Joaquin Co. now.

No doubt. I just know the places like wasco and Delano have large C/O populations.

GKeeper316
7/19/2011, 11:28 PM
She might consider the Air Nat'l Guard. Get a taste of the military, see if she would want to go full time. They get the same training as the regulars do. I don't know that I'd recommend Security (that's what I did) unless she's interested in a law enforcement career. The medical field was a good idea.

A former student of mine surprised a lot of people when she suddenly joined the Navy right out of h.s. instead of going to college. She wrangled an Intell slot. Loves it. Been in for prolly 15 yrs.

She should take the ASVAB test; perhaps she already did in high school. That would let her know what paths may be open for her. A recruiter could set that up for her if she hasn't taken it.

But beware... from what I understand, some time ago the Navy made it real easy to get into their Nuclear Power whatever, and as soon as the recruit "washed out", they were quickly sent into some other field (USN's choice) "for the good of the service"...

ha! dude i was in boot camp with went in open contract and got assigned to be a hygiene equipment operator... he drove a truck around to all the grunts out in the field and sucked all the nasty out of the port a johns.

always have your job locked up before you go in and make sure its something you can have at least a basic interest in doing for 4 years.

never let uncle sam decide your MOS. he'll be the bad uncle that touches you where he shouldn't.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/19/2011, 11:44 PM
They have some very good programming/computers ones but you have to score high on tests.

Yeah, I guess she'd just take the tests and see what she qualifies for, right?

I don't know if programming or engineering is an interest. She took 3 years of honors math, but didn't take any her senior year. Same with science - she took Biology and Chem, but no Physics.

She's a prolific reader and took AP English. Also took 3 years of Japanese. Is Japan considered a good assignment? Do air force enlistees get assigned there?

She was the top cross country runner on her high school's women's team and took 2nd in her conference. Won many duel meets. The coach said she could get a scholarship at a division II school, but she's not interested in running in college.

The cards she's dealt say live at home and go to a community college, but I think she should get out of the house. And I know she wants to as well.

GK said: medical. x-ray tech is the best military job right now, if she's looking to learn a trade that will always be in demand when she's done her 4 years, and pay well.

Makes sense. Someone needs to care for all the aging worthless babyboomers.:)

GKeeper316
7/19/2011, 11:51 PM
there is an air force base in okinawa. the 3rd marine division is also headquartered there, so she might get lucky and land herself a warrior god while serving her country abroad :)

87sooner
7/19/2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I guess she'd just take the tests and see what she qualifies for, right?

I don't know if programming or engineering is an interest. She took 3 years of honors math, but didn't take any her senior year. Same with science - she took Biology and Chem, but no Physics.

She's a prolific reader and took AP English. Also took 3 years of Japanese. Is Japan considered a good assignment? Do air force enlistees get assigned there?

She was the top cross country runner on her high school's women's team and took 2nd in her conference. Won many duel meets. The coach said she could get a scholarship at a division II school, but she's not interested in running in college.

The cards she's dealt say live at home and go to a community college, but I think she should get out of the house.

Makes sense. Someone needs to care for all the aging worthless babyboomers.:)

enlistees get stationed all over the world....
is she pretty?
attractive skirts are well cared for in the air force.....there aren't many....
she better get used to high ranking oficers trying to "boost" her career;)

SanJoaquinSooner
7/20/2011, 12:16 AM
enlistees get stationed all over the world....
is she pretty?
attractive skirts are well cared for in the air force.....there aren't many....
she better get used to high ranking oficers trying to "boost" her career;)

She downplays her looks. I don't recall seeing her in a skirt.

Here she is, out in front of team Lodi:
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/AngelicaM.jpg

SanJoaquinSooner
7/20/2011, 12:19 AM
Tell her dont narrow it to just AF. consider all the branches . They all have similar needs, But what shes interested in doing may not be available in the AF but the Army may need people in that field.

She should try and decide what she would Like to do for lifes work then See which branch offers that training .

tell her Good luck.

Her uncle (and my brother in law) was in the Marines recently and was visiting us this weekend, and we were talking about this. He believed quality of life in the Air Force would likely be better.

Curly Bill
7/20/2011, 02:52 AM
I would not advise any female relative of mine to enter the military, especially if she was attractive, or if she even looked halfway like a chick.

Sooner_Tuf
7/20/2011, 03:20 AM
Probably smarter to join after college. Getting into any of the science fields is a good opportunity for education and career.

Curly Bill
7/20/2011, 03:29 AM

I know that at least part of that is correct, at least it was in the early 90's - the only thing I'm not sure about is how it was determined where washouts would be sent, or if they had any say in it. I can't speak to current times.

I went the crypto (classified communications) route myself to start with, but at least half of my company in Basic were going into the nuke stuff. Prolly close to half of the crypto folks were women, so it's a suitable field for females, and compared to some fields fairly cush. Not sure how great it would be though for transferring back into the civilian job force.

But I already said: I would not advise a female relative of mine to go the military route. :D

Harry Beanbag
7/20/2011, 05:41 AM
I would not advise any female relative of mine to enter the military, especially if she was attractive, or if she even looked halfway like a chick.

This.

Harry Beanbag
7/20/2011, 05:49 AM
I know that at least part of that is correct, at least it was in the early 90's - the only thing I'm not sure about is how it was determined where washouts would be sent, or if they had any say in it. I can't speak to current times.

I went the crypto (classified communications) route myself to start with, but at least half of my company in Basic were going into the nuke stuff. Prolly close to half of the crypto folks were women, so it's a suitable field for females, and compared to some fields fairly cush. Not sure how great it would be though for transferring back into the civilian job force.

But I already said: I would not advise a female relative of mine to go the military route. :D

I was an idiot and let the recruiter talk me out of intel into the nuclear field after he saw my ASVAB score. There are high standards to be a nuke, not sure what the actual score limits are since I scored high enough to do any job in any branch.

But it takes more than half a brain to make it through to the fleet as a nuke, that's where people fail out. Being threatened repeatedly that failure was a one way ticket to the fleet with no rating was enough to motivate me. I think it depended on where you were in the pipeline though. If you were still in 'A' school when you washed out, you were ****ed. If you made it to Nuclear Power School or prototype, they took better care of you.

Okla-homey
7/20/2011, 06:33 AM

tell her Good luck.

For the record, the only jobs the Army has the AF doesn't are infantry, armor and artillery jobs. None of which are in particularly high demand in the private sector. Especially for chicks. And in the AF, she'll always have an air-conditioned place to sleep, in a bed. And have hot chow served on a plate at a table. And showers. And toilets.

The Army? not so much.:D

Me? 23 years in the AF, with two tours on joint duty with the Army. So trust me.

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2011, 06:46 AM
Intell field or medical has the best opportunity for transition to the private sector

SanJoaquinSooner
7/20/2011, 07:03 AM

This.

So are you saying chicks have to put out to survive?

afs
7/20/2011, 07:24 AM
She's a prolific reader and took AP English. Also took 3 years of Japanese.)

Linguist, Airborne or the standard ground intel linguist. They'd probably give her Korean or Chinese in addition to already knowing Japanese, with Chinese having more assignment options. Plus linguist get more $$$ a month based on qualification levels and by going the aircrew route that's more $$$ through monthly flight pay

AlbqSooner
7/20/2011, 07:40 AM
In '67 a friend and I joined the service. We had tested and were each to be assigned to the medical corps; me in the AF, him in the Navy.

We both went to basic and then tech school. After Tech school, I was assigned to Tinker AFB Hospital. He was assigned to a Marine Infantry unit as their medic and spent 13 months in the jungle.

Homey has it right. USAF is the way to go unless you want nuclear sub experience.

olevetonahill
7/20/2011, 08:42 AM
For the record, the only jobs the Army has the AF doesn't are infantry, armor and artillery jobs. None of which are in particularly high demand in the private sector. Especially for chicks. And in the AF, she'll always have an air-conditioned place to sleep, in a bed. And have hot chow served on a plate at a table. And showers. And toilets.

The Army? not so much.:D

Me? 23 years in the AF, with two tours on joint duty with the Army. So trust me.

That was my whole Point Homester , They all have similar jobs. If she is interested in ONE field then That particular job may not be open in ALL branches , whereas it may be open in the Army, Or Navy yet the A.F. has all they need.

The World was the G.I.s toilet, We always had a place to sleep;) , The rain makes a nice shower. And Theres usually a breeze blowing.
But I guess if yer a Sissy ya might want that other stuff.:P

Oh and ya can make Rank faster in the Army than the A.F. ( at least ya used to)

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2011, 08:43 AM
Oh and ya can make Rank faster in the Army than the A.F. ( at least ya used to)

bingo - still true.

Aldebaran
7/20/2011, 09:00 AM
^ But if you want to be treated like a human being before you make major, don't join the Army.

olevetonahill
7/20/2011, 09:03 AM
^ But if you want to be treated like a human being before you make major, don't join the Army.

Never been part of a Great TEAM have you.:rolleyes:

Aldebaran
7/20/2011, 09:05 AM
The Air Force payed me extra when I had to spend time with the army. Because we have standards, and people should be compensated for slumming.

Mjcpr
7/20/2011, 09:06 AM
Never been part of a Great TEAM have you.:rolleyes:

I was on the 85 Bears.

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 09:07 AM
My advice:

If the kid doesn't know what they wanna be when they grow up, join the military. See the world, get some $$ for college, and maybe, if you're lucky, you'll find something you like and that is marketable when you get out.

If a kid DOES know what they wanna be when they grow up, and if they/their family can afford it, go to school. If their family can't afford it, then check into the military route to see if the training/a slot in that job field is available.

Of all the branches, the AF is the most like a "real job." The Navy would probably be second - except for that little deal about spending months and months on a ****ing boat with a bunch of horn dogs. Yes, there's Navy jobs that are land-based, so those might be worth looking into.

I'd ixnay the Army/Marine Corps deal unless there's something they offer specifically that the girl is interested in. Being a grunt when you're 18-25 or so ain't bad. Being a grunt when you're >30 ain't a whole lot of fun. Of course chicks don't get to be real grunts so that wouldn't come into play.

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2011, 09:10 AM
when I first retired, I had a VERY short stint with SAIC - a LARGE contractor with the Air Force - they were hiring E-4's and E-5's out of the intell sector (i think electronics type stuff) to come to work for them at 80K yearly.

of course, you have to be able to get a Top Secret security clearance and maintain it - but Dean is right - most of the Air Force jobs are an easier transition to the real world....the Army has a lot of jobs that get bastardized and morph into something other than what they're really intended to do

sappstuf
7/20/2011, 09:13 AM
My advice:

If the kid doesn't know what they wanna be when they grow up, join the military. See the world, get some $$ for college, and maybe, if you're lucky, you'll find something you like and that is marketable when you get out.

If a kid DOES know what they wanna be when they grow up, and if they/their family can afford it, go to school. If their family can't afford it, then check into the military route to see if the training/a slot in that job field is available.

Of all the branches, the AF is the most like a "real job." The Navy would probably be second - except for that little deal about spending months and months on a ****ing boat with a bunch of horn dogs. Yes, there's Navy jobs that are land-based, so those might be worth looking into.

I'd ixnay the Army/Marine Corps deal unless there's something they offer specifically that the girl is interested in. Being a grunt when you're 18-25 or so ain't bad. Being a grunt when you're >30 ain't a whole lot of fun. Of course chicks don't get to be real grunts so that wouldn't come into play.

People say there are not many pretty girls in the Navy. I say those people have never been to sea for 6 months...

Although I sorta feel bad when we go to Thailand and some of the other countries like that.. American girls don't get many dinners bought for them, if you catch my drift.

OutlandTrophy
7/20/2011, 09:30 AM
I know a guy that joined the Marine Corps but had to get out because about 2 months after boot camp he couldn't bend his knees.

Beware of the Marine Corps.

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2011, 09:32 AM
there was a kid in my basic training company - that got sick from chewing on grass that had been sprayed with chemicals....he was also a bit loopy in the head before that - but ended up getting kicked out before the 4th week

beware of the Army!!!!!!

sooner_born_1960
7/20/2011, 09:35 AM
I know a guy who got sick the day he got off the bus. They sent him home immediately.

Beware of band camp!

sappstuf
7/20/2011, 09:37 AM
I know a guy who pissed in the grass on his first night at basic.

He has had a long productive career in the Navy...

SanJoaquinSooner
7/20/2011, 11:17 AM

I have no doubt this was the case in the past. Are you confident this is still the case today?

Soonerfan88
7/20/2011, 11:34 AM
I was a female in the Army back in the 1990s and had absolutely no problems then. I see even less problems with the ones I work around now.

If she wants military service and a college degree, look into ROTC programs. No matter the service, officers are treated better than enlisted.

Mjcpr
7/20/2011, 11:35 AM
I was a female in the Army back in the 1990s

What are you now? :confused:

87sooner
7/20/2011, 11:47 AM
I was a female in the Army back in the 1990s and had absolutely no problems then. I see even less problems with the ones I work around now.

If she wants military service and a college degree, look into ROTC programs. No matter the service, officers are treated better than enlisted.

the pay is a heck of alot better too...

Soonerfan88
7/20/2011, 01:10 PM
What are you now? :confused:

A female NOT in the Army. :)

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 02:28 PM
I know a guy who got busted for weed two times during his Army stint. Both times he got Article 15d, reduction in rank to Private E-1, and 30-days in the 82nd Airborne Correctional Custody Facility. The reduction in rank was suspended, but the poor, dumb bastard had to do the full sentences in the CCF. He tells me it wasn't much fun...

He did manage to get an honorable discharge as an E-4 at the end of his tour of duty, and went on to a stellar career with another government agency from which he recently retired.

The military is alright.

Aldebaran
7/20/2011, 02:30 PM
http://www.hongfire.com/cg/data/7/Cool_story_bro_girl.jpg

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 02:32 PM
I know, right?

BigJerm7
7/20/2011, 03:27 PM
Don't rule out the US Coast Guard. I did 4 years, you're always close to the water, the big boats don't stay out much longer than 2 months, that's if she doesn't get a small boat station or land. The jobs pretty much parallel the Navy.

GI Bill, VA benefits, all the same as the other armed forces.

StoopTroup
7/20/2011, 03:45 PM
I know a guy who got busted for weed two times during his Army stint. Both times he got Article 15d, reduction in rank to Private E-1, and 30-days in the 82nd Airborne Correctional Custody Facility. The reduction in rank was suspended, but the poor, dumb bastard had to do the full sentences in the CCF. He tells me it wasn't much fun...

He did manage to get an honorable discharge as an E-4 at the end of his tour of duty, and went on to a stellar career with another government agency from which he recently retired.

The military is alright.

I've heard two other stories like that from friends who eventually realized they would never go past E-4 Specialist after getting busted. Another got busted in the Navy and got moved to the shipyard to remove asbestos.

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 03:47 PM
I've heard two other stories like that from friends who eventually realized they would never go past E-4 Specialist after getting busted. Another got busted in the Navy and got moved to the shipyard to remove asbestos.

Oh this guy probably would have gone past E-4, but he had already had his fill of the Army life if you knows what I'm sayin'.

sappstuf
7/20/2011, 04:24 PM
Don't rule out the US Coast Guard. I did 4 years, you're always close to the water, the big boats don't stay out much longer than 2 months, that's if she doesn't get a small boat station or land. The jobs pretty much parallel the Navy.

GI Bill, VA benefits, all the same as the other armed forces.

She has to be 6 feet tall to join the Coast Guard. That way if their ship sinks, she can walk back to shore.

sappstuf
7/20/2011, 04:25 PM
Oh this guy probably would have gone past E-4, but he had already had his fill of the Army life if you knows what I'm sayin'.

Making E-4 is much better the second time around...

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2011, 04:35 PM
I was an idiot and let the recruiter talk me out of intel into the nuclear field after he saw my ASVAB score. There are high standards to be a nuke, not sure what the actual score limits are since I scored high enough to do any job in any branch.

But it takes more than half a brain to make it through to the fleet as a nuke, that's where people fail out. Being threatened repeatedly that failure was a one way ticket to the fleet with no rating was enough to motivate me. I think it depended on where you were in the pipeline though. If you were still in 'A' school when you washed out, you were ****ed. If you made it to Nuclear Power School or prototype, they took better care of you.

^this.

Best thing I ever did, after passing the Nuke Test, was realize I didn't want to be a Nuke. I spent 20 years in the front of the boat (Coner), respecting Nukes but pitying the hell they went through from enlistment to separation. I even had reenlistment bonuses that were equal to the Nuke's bonuses...and pro pay.

Nuke Power School and Prototype prepared Nukes for long, hot 6-hour watches (if they made it through the school), plant start-ups LONG before the rest of the crew is even back on the ship from liberty, and the worst thing...a completely dried-up civilian Nuclear Power industry that seemed like such a carrot in the early '80s.

This is not the life of a 19 year old woman...despite what the current changing climate dictates.

X-ray tech or dental tech (hygenist) in the USAF would give her a career outside, and some great character-molding while serving. She sounds like a great kiddo. Previous posters are correct: LOCK IN THE JOB before signing anything.

You know what they say...the Air Force builds the Commissary, BX, swimming pool and Golf Course first, then comes back to Congress and asks for more money so they can build the runway....

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2011, 04:36 PM
She has to be 6 feet tall to join the Coast Guard. That way if their ship sinks, she can walk back to shore.

I've loved that joke ever since the Coasties wouldn't take me because I had smoked pot. Dayum ya'll, I went to Norman High School! Gimme a break...

GKeeper316
7/20/2011, 04:41 PM
You know what they say...the Air Force builds the Commissary, BX, swimming pool and Golf Course first, then comes back to Congress and asks for more money so they can build the runway....

and there's some really nice golf courses on air force bases.

i've heard the best military golf course is the one at quantico, but i've never played it. i'll have to talk dad into a raod trip one of these days...

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2011, 04:43 PM
There is no better job in the army than CID

Lott's Bandana
7/20/2011, 04:47 PM
and there's some really nice golf courses on air force bases.

i've heard the best military golf course is the one at quantico, but i've never played it. i'll have to talk dad into a raod trip one of these days...

Hard to beat Kaneohe Bay USMC...4 holes alongside that beautiful windward-side beach. Hickam AFB's track is rather lovely as well.

ouwasp
7/20/2011, 05:26 PM
Here's an odd, unrelated story...

In the AF, once you're in Tech School, airmen fill out what is called the "Dream Sheet"; it is a request for where you want to be stationed. I was ANG, so I was going back home to fall semester of college after my Security Police school was done.

I really felt for my friends. They literally had no idea where in the world they would be sent. Some of them didn't really care; they were young and single. But they were still anxious to find out.

Then the day came when stations were passed out. Almost everybody in my flight was sent to the SAC missile fields in the Dakotas, Montana, etc. These were places where there was no housing avaliable for low ranking men's families, so the married guys were :( .

The head-shaking thing was the handful of fellows that had put Hawaii got their wish! Seems like our flight was given 48 hours to make trades in assignments. There were a few. But nobody was trading HA for ND!

diverdog
7/20/2011, 07:01 PM
Her uncle (and my brother in law) was in the Marines recently and was visiting us this weekend, and we were talking about this. He believed quality of life in the Air Force would likely be better.

tell her to look into intel or work in a translator field if she has gift for languages.

if she wants to travel try getting into the special air squadron that flies af 1.

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 07:11 PM
Here's an odd, unrelated story...

In the AF, once you're in Tech School, airmen fill out what is called the "Dream Sheet"; it is a request for where you want to be stationed. I was ANG, so I was going back home to fall semester of college after my Security Police school was done.

I really felt for my friends. They literally had no idea where in the world they would be sent. Some of them didn't really care; they were young and single. But they were still anxious to find out.

Then the day came when stations were passed out. Almost everybody in my flight was sent to the SAC missile fields in the Dakotas, Montana, etc. These were places where there was no housing avaliable for low ranking men's families, so the married guys were :( .

The head-shaking thing was the handful of fellows that had put Hawaii got their wish! Seems like our flight was given 48 hours to make trades in assignments. There were a few. But nobody was trading HA for ND!

My brother's wife's brother was an AP in the AF. He spent his last 7 years in Hawaii patrolling some military beach for officers. Shorts, 4-wheeler, etc. Dream duty, right?

He said he hated it so ****ing bad after about 6-months he was going crazy. When he retired, he moved straight home to Willow River, Minnesota and hasn't left since. You couldn't pay him enough money to drag his *** back to Hawaii. In fact, sometimes he'll just get in his truck and drive. That was his major peeve. After a year or two on an island you just need to just be able to drive as far as you want.

monty
7/20/2011, 09:55 PM
My brother's wife's brother was an AP in the AF. He spent his last 7 years in Hawaii patrolling some military beach for officers. Shorts, 4-wheeler, etc. Dream duty, right?

He said he hated it so ****ing bad after about 6-months he was going crazy. When he retired, he moved straight home to Willow River, Minnesota and hasn't left since. You couldn't pay him enough money to drag his *** back to Hawaii. In fact, sometimes he'll just get in his truck and drive. That was his major peeve. After a year or two on an island you just need to just be able to drive as far as you want.

I can definitely attest to that story being trapped on Okinawa...the AF has looooooong assignments too. You really start to feel bottled up when you're stuck on an island, especially a very small island.

Don't go in on open contract, yeah i can attest to that one too although ammo wasn't that bad. Dream sheet...hahahaha! Yeah, let's just say Okinawa wasn't on mine. It's kind of a cool place, but after 6 months, you've seen and done all there is to do there. All i wanted when i got back was a taco bell burrito...and that's saying something.

olevetonahill
7/20/2011, 11:48 PM
A female NOT in the Army. :)

Kinda what I were thinkin, but with some of these folks ya cant really tell.;)

Curly Bill
7/20/2011, 11:54 PM
So are you saying chicks have to put out to survive?

No, but an attractive female in the military undergoes 24-7 what that same attractive female would undergo at closing time of the local watering hole. And as indicated, she really wouldn't have to be very attractive at all for this to be the case.

I just would not want any female relative of mine, or female I cared about, to be in the military environment.

olevetonahill
7/20/2011, 11:55 PM
No, but an attractive female in the military undergoes 24-7 what that same attractive female would undergo at closing time of the local watering hole. And as indicated, she really wouldn't have to be very attractive at all for this to be the case.

I just would not want any female relative of mine, or female I cared about, to be in the military environment.

Well unless she's a hooker. then she can do alright.:hot:

Curly Bill
7/20/2011, 11:57 PM
I have no doubt this was the case in the past. Are you confident this is still the case today?

Large number of men, many of them single, many of them far away from home...

Fewer females, even fewer attractive females, even fewer attractive females with qualities you'd wanna take home to meet the parents....Yeah, I'd bet big money it's still the case.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/21/2011, 12:18 AM
I went to visit the AF recruiter today. He said there was no demand for positions in the medical field. He gave me a list and said they ask new enlistees to choose 6 to 9 fields from the list. No guarantees for any single field even if one qualifies. No guarantees on location.

Linguist is on the list. A great location for training: Monterey CA, but he said about 75% wash out (actually he said attrition rate). But he said if she qualified, she'd likely get that chance. He made checks by the fields he thought were reasonable for females, besides linguist. I don't know what many of them mean.

GI bill after 3 years is great.

The most disappointing thing was that one must wait a year from the time of enlistment to reporting for basic training. That's a long wait.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/airforcejobs.jpg

olevetonahill
7/21/2011, 12:23 AM
Never heard of having to wait a year to go after joining. I know you could join and postpone going for a year but not the "Have to" deal

ouflak
7/21/2011, 04:19 AM
A recent CNN article on the latest issues regarding long waits for those who want to enlist. (http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-08/politics/unemployment.military_1_enlistment-army-reports-pentagon-spokeswoman-cynthia-smith?_s=PM:POLITICS)

olevetonahill
7/21/2011, 04:27 AM
A recent CNN article on the latest issues regarding long waits for those who want to enlist. (http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-08/politics/unemployment.military_1_enlistment-army-reports-pentagon-spokeswoman-cynthia-smith?_s=PM:POLITICS)

Thanks for that Flak. as a Draftee i dont comprehend that stuff.
:confused:

Curly Bill
7/21/2011, 05:26 AM
Well unless she's a hooker. then she can do alright.:hot:

No doubt! :D

OutlandTrophy
7/21/2011, 09:13 AM
Where's Melo? She does something with cyber security.

Mjcpr
7/21/2011, 09:14 AM
Where's Melo? She does something with cyber security.

You're thinking of cyber sex.

OutlandTrophy
7/21/2011, 09:16 AM
ahhhhh.

misplaced_sooner
7/21/2011, 12:46 PM
I'm active duty AF. My career field is on that list 2A634 Aircraft Fuel Systems Apprentice. It isn't fun and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I tried to get out multiple times but wasn't able to.

Anyway, of the list, 1W031 Weather wouldn't be bad.

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT encourage her to work on any muntions, aerospace or aircraft career fields. They are ungrateful jobs with poor morale.

I don't know alot about the cyber sec career fields. I certainly wouldn't go Security forces or EOD. If she wants to see the world, i hear the 2T career fields are always on the road.

soonercruiser
7/21/2011, 10:45 PM
The "BIG PICTURE":

-What are her aspirations? Why considering the military?

-If undecided, or need a job and some experience...let alone great training...the military is a good route. (You don't have to make it a full retirement career.) You have many opportunities to attend college level courses on-, and off-base.

-For a woman, the Air Force is a much better life style.

-Although enlisted members must test, and are directed towards certain career fields, you can choose several preferences. And, you can cross-train after a period of time.

**Get any promises in writing. Initially, after going back to school, I got screwed on one big promise that cost me $thousands a year. Don't just take the honorable "Word" of the recruiter.