PDA

View Full Version : 40 worst dressed cities (GQ)

3rdgensooner
7/19/2011, 03:31 PM
The 40 Worst-Dressed Cities in America (http://www.gq.com/style/fashion/201107/worst-dressed-cities-america#slide=40)

Look around you. Better yet, look in the mirror. Are you the victim? After a deeply scientific, irrefutable poll, we gathered, analyzed, and ranked the most sartorially-challenged metropolises in the greater United States. It may be time to plan that move you've been thinking about

http://www.gq.com/images/entertainment/2011/07/worst-dressed-cities/boulder.jpg
40. Boulder, CO
Strolling through this charming university town, you are most likely to find three major categories of clothing: 1) anything made by North Face 2) anything made by Patagonia 3) fanny packs. The observant eye will also spot unmistakable seasonal trends, such as Adidas for Fall, Crocs for Spring, and Uggs for Summer (we have no explanation for this). These are often accompanied by Boulder's year-round go-to accessory, the wheatgrass shot (sometimes paired with an unidentifiable vegan "cookie"). Yet of Boulder's 100,000 people, about 30,000 are students, some 99.9% are blonde, and all of them in better shape than you. This town is always obnoxiously flaunting its "fittest-place-in-the-country" awards, and you will be hard-pressed to find one person here, including your 85-year-old grandmother, without a six-pack. It is, in fact, a worst-dressed city that looks best naked. So Boulderites, do your fellow citizens a favor: next time you reach for the biking-shorts-and-sneakers as eveningwear combo, just take it all off.

http://www.gq.com/images/entertainment/2011/07/worst-dressed-cities/nashville.jpg
39. Nashville
Even in 2011, Nashville makes it clear who won the battle between the cowboys and the Indians. Here, boots replace dress shoes—and, in some extreme cases, sneakers. Dress shirts aren't monogrammed, but embroidered with a design that usually begins with a stitch and ends in flames, and by "tie" they mean the leather shoestring thing your nephew wears in Boy Scouts. Hank Williams will never die because of Nashville. Never.

http://www.gq.com/images/entertainment/2011/07/worst-dressed-cities/bristol.jpg
38. Bristol, CT
Bristol has long been the home to ESPN, the Worldwide Leader in off-the-rack monstrosities and former athletes turned broadcast professionals who dress up like comic book super villains. The town's most prominent citizens are also the worst fashion offenders: Chris Berman perpetually looks like he's en route to a high school graduation (and he's wearing the hideous necktie his kid gave him for Father's Day last year); Bill Pidto totally got a deal at Men's Warehouse; Bob Ley, despite all of his boundless talent, looks like he sells women's shoes; Hannah Storm, on the live edition of SportsCenter every morning, looks like she put on her dress from last night's cocktail party and walk-of-shamed it to work; and Keyshawn Johnson, in his dayglo suits and quadruple Windsor knots, has never heard the phrase, "Less is more." It's understandable—sports are all about winning, about putting up the biggest score, and about making the loudest statement.

http://www.gq.com/images/entertainment/2011/07/worst-dressed-cities/kansas-city.jpg
37. Kansas City, MO
How does a city that fathered its own style of jazz back in the 1930s dress with such little manly swagger? Yeah, you're a laidback town, part of that real America, and sure, eating sauce-covered burnt ends and pork ribs can be messy. But let's grow up. Throw out the old grimy-white Jayhawks ball cap—or the beat-up black Mizzou one—and buy some clothes that aren't so big that they make you look like a little boy waiting to grow into them. It's summer, so golf shirts and polos are great, but let's keep the sleeves above the elbows, the tail at the waist. It shouldn't hit your knees. And the khakis? Please, no puffy pleats, no sewn cuffs. Hey, we get it: Going out for a pitcher and beef-on-bun doesn't require a jazzy suit, but no matter how you swing it, oversized and billowy ain't cool.

The rest (http://www.gq.com/style/fashion/201107/worst-dressed-cities-america#slide=40)

soonerchk
7/19/2011, 03:36 PM
Oh please, I haven't seen frosted tips in Dallas in years!

NormanPride
7/19/2011, 03:46 PM
You read a lot of magazines, don't you 3G?

3rdgensooner
7/19/2011, 03:48 PM
You read a lot of magazines, don't you 3G?
I rarely read magazines, unless I'm getting a pedicure.

I do have a couple of sites I visit when I'm bored that point me to a variety of topics on the world wide web.

jumperstop
7/19/2011, 03:59 PM
That was dumb...the title of that article should have been "40 American Cities with pictures of people and sometimes fictional characters from those cities with a dumb generalized unrealistic critic of their fashion taste"

Chuck Bao
7/19/2011, 04:00 PM
I have only read the ones you posted, 3G, and so far it is the funniest thread I've seen posted at SO in a very long time. And, I just love they start off attacking the fashion sense of ESPN. That just makes me all sorts of happy to think that while they are spewing their typical nonsense that even the queer dudes are looking at them and wondering "what happened with that?".

NormanPride
7/19/2011, 04:01 PM
I rarely read magazines, unless I'm getting a pedicure.

I do have a couple of sites I visit when I'm bored that point me to a variety of topics on the world wide web.
I believe you...

...for now.

3rdgensooner
7/19/2011, 04:03 PM

That was dumb...the title of that article should have been "40 American Cities with pictures of people and sometimes fictional characters from those cities with a dumb generalized unrealistic critic of their fashion taste"

I have only read the ones you posted, 3G, and so far it is the funniest thread I've seen posted at SO in a very long time. And, I just love they start off attacking the fashion sense of ESPN. That just makes me all sorts of happy to think that while they are spewing their typical nonsense that even the queer dudes are looking at them and wondering "what happened with that?".

I believe you...

...for now.

So my "validate me" score is 1 yes, 2 no, and 1 abstain.

NormanPride
7/19/2011, 04:05 PM
Sorry, I'm not into the kinky stuff, sister.

soonerchk
7/19/2011, 04:10 PM
So my "validate me" score is 1 yes, 2 no, and 1 abstain.

Am I the yes? I read it, so I should be.

Chuck Bao
7/19/2011, 04:15 PM
No, I am the kinky one because I still don't do shopping.

GDC
7/19/2011, 04:16 PM
That's why I like shopping at the Dollar Store, I don't have to dress up like I do when I go to Wal Marts.

KantoSooner
7/19/2011, 04:17 PM

Ah, but SMU girls pioneered wearing pantyhose under creased jeans. And, for that, we really must thank them.

As a friend referred to them, "But, they all look like blond Christmas tree ornaments!"

3rdgensooner
7/19/2011, 04:18 PM
Am I the yes? I read it, so I should be.No, I took yours as a negative evaluation.

It's okay, I can take constructive criticism.

TUSooner
7/19/2011, 04:19 PM

This, for sure.
Actually, it might have been funny if I ever read GQ and knew slightly more than absolute zilch about clothes & stuff.

soonerchk
7/19/2011, 04:20 PM
Ah, but SMU girls pioneered wearing pantyhose under creased jeans. And, for that, we really must thank them.

As a friend referred to them, "But, they all look like blond Christmas tree ornaments!"

You make that sound like a bad thing?

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/19/2011, 04:20 PM
So they pick out Sara Palin's town out of the countless cities to choose from?

Dumb article

soonerchk
7/19/2011, 04:25 PM
So they pick out Sara Palin's town out of the countless cities to choose from?

Dumb article

Your face is dumb.

Chuck Bao
7/19/2011, 04:29 PM

Baylor girls wouldn't be far behind the SMU co-eds there. Obviously, I have no idea about pantyhose under creased jeans or why someone should thank them for that.

Wait...I get it now - they don't let their jeans bag and show off their *** crack or thong underwear because the tops of their pantyhoses would show. Ha!

Mississippi Sooner
7/19/2011, 04:30 PM
I just don't feel like I can validate anyone in this thread.

NormanPride
7/19/2011, 04:39 PM
SMU also introduced the world to skirtsandboots I believe. Football fashion. Oh boy.

mgsooner
7/19/2011, 04:40 PM
the best dressed city is in my pants

Lott's Bandana
7/19/2011, 04:41 PM
The Santa Fe snippet actually made me LOL. Literally.

sooneron
7/19/2011, 08:04 PM
Some pretty amusing points on there...

And sorry, D should have placed higher, it has a history of bad fashion. The piece on Houston was pretty much just reaching. Dress over the decades has usually been better in H Town than Dallas... It was more cosmopolitan and ahead. Of course, you people will never be happy, even if the coastal cities that you hate because "YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT THEM" :rolleyes:, place much higher than the beloved midwestern sprawl towns.

CrimsonKel
7/19/2011, 08:06 PM
But which cities are the best dressed?

Lott's Bandana
7/19/2011, 08:19 PM
I've been in 37 of 40 of those places. They did a good job deconstructing their fashion.

Stick a pin in all 40 on a map and frankly, the entire country is a cross between J Crew, BassProShops and WalMart.

sooneron
7/19/2011, 08:29 PM
YOu forgot Hot Topic! :D

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/19/2011, 10:24 PM
Your face is dumb.

Some 8 year old apparently stole your username and password and typed this message.

Or maybe you are actually 8...at the most 10

DIB
7/20/2011, 08:53 AM
Some 8 year old apparently stole your username and password and typed this message.

Your face is 8

C&CDean
7/20/2011, 08:59 AM
Your face is 8

Far too much credit given here.

MR2-Sooner86
7/20/2011, 09:01 AM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/10/18/129003381268959045.jpg

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2011, 09:02 AM

i've seen her picture, she's 12 and not a day older

ouleaf
7/20/2011, 10:15 AM
while i feel like everyone for the most part loves lists of things, this list was just terrible.