PDA

View Full Version : NCAA conference call regarding LSU

delhalew
7/19/2011, 10:02 AM
...regarding LSU self-reported recruiting violations from 2009.

Press conference scheduled for 2pm central.

OUVarsityXV
7/19/2011, 10:07 AM
Uh-oh.

delhalew
7/19/2011, 10:29 AM
This per Yahoo Sports' Charles Thompson Twitter feed, but I'm not gonna go find it.

agoo758
7/19/2011, 10:32 AM
At the rate we have been going this offseason, there is going to be like 4 teams in IA not on probation.

badger
7/19/2011, 11:05 AM
This self reporting if you're curious:

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2010/03/lsu_football_report_on_recruit.html

The investigation centered around the recruitment and transfer of the student-athlete from a junior college to LSU in the summer of 2009 and the assistant coach's role in the recruitment and transfer process.

LSU discovered potential violations associated with impermissible telephone calls to the student-athlete during the recruitment process, impermissible transportation before and after the student-athlete's arrival at LSU, impermissible housing and reduced-rent at an apartment complex in Baton Rouge in the three months prior to the student-athlete's enrollment at LSU, and the purchase of one meal by a football office student worker.

LSU, in the report to the NCAA, outlined a plan to strengthen its internal procedures for authorizing the engagement of prospective student-athletes who move to Baton Rouge prior to enrollment, to enhance its rules educations and monitoring process for student workers, the completion of more detailed administrative forms and a thorough review of policies pertaining to the maintenance of telephone logs.

This type of thing isn't going to get the ban hammer dropped on em like tOSU or USC. This type of thing gets you probation or whatever you decided as your self-imposed punishment (like making fewer phone calls or limiting the offending coach's contact with recruits).

Now... if there's something to that Lyles thing? Hmm...

EatLeadCommie
7/19/2011, 11:14 AM
Marvin Austin has been going off on UNC on Twitter. Wouldn't be surprised if they got slammed harder now than they were.

badger
7/19/2011, 11:46 AM
Marvin Austin has been going off on UNC on Twitter. Wouldn't be surprised if they got slammed harder now than they were.

:D I would like to remind everyone that has already voted en masse for LSU as the most intimidating future non-conf opponent (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156547) that you are not allowed to change your vote. :D

That said, if you haven't cast your vote, now might be a good time to consider someone the NCAA isn't investigating... like Army. Hehe

Sabanball
7/19/2011, 02:12 PM
They just said on the conference call that none of the violations were 'secondary', but major.

You can listen live to the call here...Finebaum is jipping it.

www.myfoxfinebaum.com

badger
7/19/2011, 02:15 PM
They just said on the conference call that none of the violations were 'secondary'....

Oh boy... are you going to welcome them to the probation club :D

(I can say that because we are no long members unlike Bammer, hehehe)

Sabanball
7/19/2011, 02:18 PM
Oh boy... are you going to welcome them to the probation club :D

(I can say that because we are no long members unlike Bammer, hehehe)

You guys are a charter member.;)

htownsooner7
7/19/2011, 02:23 PM
What's really going on? LSU says its very minor and they guy isn't there any more, nor did he play. NCAA says its major. What am I missing?

Sabanball
7/19/2011, 02:25 PM
Penalty only two schollies and one yr probation. They self-reported and I think that must have had a lot to do with the outcome Probably the biggest thing they have to worry about is the five yr clock for repeat offender status starts turning today.

Sabanball
7/19/2011, 02:28 PM
What's really going on? LSU says its very minor and they guy isn't there any more, nor did he play. NCAA says its major. What am I missing?

Basically involves a former recruit named Akeem Hicks.

Per an ESPN article from March of 2010:
"LSU said it found violations committed by former Tigers receivers coach D.J. McCarthy, including improper phone calls, transportation and summer housing for Hicks, a junior college transfer."

LSU should be OK. THey self reported, fired the rule violating coach, and Hicks never played a down for the Tigers. But, this is the NCAA we're talking about here and we all know how consistent and fair they can be.

The Lyles investigation was only opened a month ago and LSU has yet to receive an official letter notifying them of an investigation. If any findings come from the seperate Lyles investigation, the Hicks case could place LSU under repeat offender status.

badger
7/19/2011, 02:33 PM
You guys are a charter member.;)

We created the club with the intention of graduating and moving on to better things someday... we created the club so that Phil Fulmer would have a place to go after you stole his state's prized recruit :P

Salt City Sooner
7/19/2011, 03:07 PM
1 year probation:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6784149/ncaa-hits-lsu-one-year-probation-recruiting-restrictions

badger
7/19/2011, 03:16 PM
One year, eh? You know who else's probation expires in about one year?

Bammers :D

(just teasing Sabanball!)

delhalew
7/19/2011, 04:41 PM
4 schollies total. Not so bad.