PDA

View Full Version : Mario Edwards

OUVarsityXV
7/19/2011, 08:17 AM
I didn't see this thread in the recruiting section. The #1 player in the country visted norman yesterday. Denton, Texas' own Mario Edwards. Does anyone have any information on his visit?

badger
7/19/2011, 08:20 AM
Um... thought he was committed to FSU already (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6639378)? Like dad?

Yahoo says the same thing (http://rivals.yahoo.com/texas/football/recruiting/player-Mario-Edwards-106231)

I did see the OUI link on Google News, but I'm not a subscriber. Considering the daddy connection, I'd be surprised if he decommitted from FSU.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/19/2011, 08:20 AM
I hear he's pretty solid to FSU... I guess he's just taking the rest of his visits.

NoleMan
7/19/2011, 08:25 AM
Solid Verbal Commitment to FSU. His dad, Mario Edwards Sr., was a stand out years ago for FSU. Encouraged him if he wanted to look around at other programs. OU is #1, so that's a great choice. With the family lineage, would be tough to break that hold though.

But there is a long way to go and anything is possible. That's what makes recruiting so fun and nerve wracking!

icmwhOU72
7/19/2011, 08:30 AM
I don't care what they say. His dad was making comments about how they wanted to see how the number ! team in the country prepares and goes through the summer. He made mention that it is closer for them to go to OU than it is to go to texas and that OU's defense would fit them well. I think this is nothing but positive for the sooners. He is going to be taking a trip to FSU on thursday of this week. He came here to compare how that team works with our team and if he sees lackadaisical workouts after having seen ou bust their butts we might be in for a race

OUVarsityXV
7/19/2011, 08:57 AM
Adding that kid would be unbelievable.

SoonerAtKU
7/19/2011, 09:08 AM
You know, I have a lot of respect for a kid's dad wanting him to really see the other choices rather than just railroad his son to his alma mater. Unless, of course, this turns out to be a sales call like Cam Newton and Pops.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/19/2011, 09:12 AM
Adding that kid would be unbelievable.

Why? Because he has 5 stars? :rolleyes:

fwsooner22
7/19/2011, 09:18 AM

Really. It's an opinion and message board. Why do we have to take shots at each other just because. C'mon man rise above that crap.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/19/2011, 09:43 AM
Really. It's an opinion and message board. Why do we have to take shots at each other just because. C'mon man rise above that crap.

Dude get your freakin panties out of a wad! First of all, I wasn't taking a shot or even talking to you for that matter... Second of all, I was being sarcastic. That's why I put this lil guy in there ----> :rolleyes:. See how that works? Feel free to add me to your ignore list so I don't hurt your feelings in the future.

fwsooner22
7/19/2011, 09:59 AM
Done.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/19/2011, 10:00 AM
Thank you...

OUVarsityXV
7/19/2011, 10:05 AM

Ummm yes. I am not a mathematician but the more 5-star recruits you sign the better right? Coaching plays a significant part along with attitude in the development of a player because some 5-stars don't become anything. But to act like we don't all covet the blue chippers would be dishonest. They rate these players on a scale where 5 is the highest. If I want my team to do well of course I would want the best players e.g. adding blue chipper would be unbelievable.

gaylordfan1
7/19/2011, 10:06 AM
Maybe the outcome of the game will be the deciding factor!

fwsooner22
7/19/2011, 10:17 AM
Ummm yes. I am not a mathematician but the more 5-star recruits you sign the better right? Coaching plays a significant part along with attitude in the development of a player because some 5-stars don't become anything. But to act like we don't all covet the blue chippers would be dishonest. They rate these players on a scale where 5 is the highest. If I want my team to do well of course I would want the best players e.g. adding blue chipper would be unbelievable.

You're dead on OUV. It would be awesome.

BlackwellSooner
7/19/2011, 11:55 AM
Dude get your freakin panties out of a wad! First of all, I wasn't taking a shot or even talking to you for that matter... Second of all, I was being sarcastic. That's why I put this lil guy in there ----> :rolleyes:. See how that works? Feel free to add me to your ignore list so I don't hurt your feelings in the future.

Caveat: I KNOW that you, Mad Dog Madsen, was not talking to me. (and my panties - don't wear 'em - are NOT in a twist.
Having gotten that out of the way, why did you feel that it was necessary to make a sarcastic remark concerning OUVarsity's comment that it "would be awesome" to obtain the services of this 5-star player?
If you felt that doubt should be cast on the worthiness of the 5 star player, you could have said so. Was that your intent?
Was your comment humorous? I didn't find it so.

Face it, your post was merely trolling, trying to elicit a negative response, stirring the pot. You succeeded, I guess. Happy?

Widescreen
7/19/2011, 12:01 PM
MDM, taking a dig at OUVarsity may not have been your intention but that's certainly how it came across to me as well.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/19/2011, 12:02 PM
Face it, your post was merely trolling, trying to elicit a negative response, stirring the pot. You succeeded, I guess. Happy?

Who the f*ck are you and your 150 posts? Oh, I get it... you just want a response huh? Ok, you got one. You win, I lose. Happy?

Mad Dog Madsen
7/19/2011, 12:04 PM
MDM, taking a dig at OUVarsity may not have been your intention but that's certainly how it came across to me as well.

I asked a question... He answered it. That's all it should have been. Now everybody wants to be Mr. Sensitive. I apologize to all of you.

badger
7/19/2011, 12:07 PM
BACK ON TOPIC... I know there are pokes that are dead set on Barry James being a Poke Heisman just like daddy Barry... but I think we can all see that there's a real possibility that BJ Sanders will not get conned into OSU like dad did (where oh where has Barry Sanders recruiting tape gone? oh where or where could it be? oh well, guess he has to go to osu now!)

As such, I could see Mario doing what's best for him, even if it means not going to his father's school. But, if he does, more power to him. Mark Stoops seems to have a good thing going there (even if their defense gave up oh-so-many points to OU, hehehehehe) and Jimbo seems to know what he's doing too.

But of course I want a top recruit like Mario at OU :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

BlackwellSooner
7/19/2011, 12:23 PM
Who the f*ck are you and your 150 posts? Oh, I get it... you just want a response huh? Ok, you got one. You win, I lose. Happy?

Wow, I didn't know that the number of times that one posted on a forum had anything to do with credibility. I don't post as often here as on other forums, but if your elevated post count makes you feel good about yourself, so be it.

And yeah, I'm always happy....

BlackwellSooner
7/19/2011, 12:26 PM
BACK ON TOPIC... I know there are pokes that are dead set on Barry James being a Poke Heisman just like daddy Barry... but I think we can all see that there's a real possibility that BJ Sanders will not get conned into OSU like dad did (where oh where has Barry Sanders recruiting tape gone? oh where or where could it be? oh well, guess he has to go to osu now!)

As such, I could see Mario doing what's best for him, even if it means not going to his father's school. But, if he does, more power to him. Mark Stoops seems to have a good thing going there (even if their defense gave up oh-so-many points to OU, hehehehehe) and Jimbo seems to know what he's doing too.

But of course I want a top recruit like Mario at OU :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Here's hoping!

badger
7/19/2011, 12:31 PM
Wow, I didn't know that the number of times that one posted on a forum had anything to do with credibility.

It doesn't and I am a personal testament to this fact.

Most of the posters here hate me and wish that I would go away, but that would mean less football polls on Monday and Thursday, so they put up with me :D

So... Mario...

Mario Edwards, DE, Denton (Texas) Ryan

Attributes: 6-4, 281, 4.8

Committed to: Florida State

Analyst's take: "Edwards is a huge defensive lineman but he moves like a much smaller player. He is definitely a defensive end at this point despite his size. With that size comes the ability to fight through blocks and be a big run stuffer but it does not stop him from being an elite pass-rusher too. He has a very quick first step off the ball and is able to make his way into the opposing backfield with ease. He is simply dominant at the point of attack." - Brian Perroni, Rivals.com

Why he's a five-star: "Mario Edwards has the rare body type that will allow him to play either defensive end position at the next level. He is quick off the ball and strong enough to take on a tackle and tight end in the running game. He could end up having the impact similar to Da'Quan Bowers for Clemson." - Barry Every, Rivals.com

His coach says: "Him as a person, I think of him as a son. Football is about hard work and he does exactly that. He wants to be the best at everything he does. He has things you look for in great defensive linemen - he's got size, he has speed and then he has the one thing you always look for and that's those things you just can't teach. He's just a natural at it. He understands things like body leverage. The more and more fine-tuning he gets, the more special he is going to be and he's already a great football player." - Denton Ryan defensive line coach Aaron De La Torre

Odds and ends: Edwards is following in his father's footsteps with his recent commitment to Florida State as he is the son of former Seminole and Dallas Cowboy defensive back Mario Edwards Sr. The younger Edwards was named the Class 4A Texas Defensive Player of the Year this past season by both the Associated Press and the Texas Sportswriters Association after racking up 127 tackles, including an astounding 50 for loss, 18 sacks and four fumble recoveries, including two he returned for touchdowns. He helped lead Ryan to a 15-1 record with the only loss coming in the state championship game.

Player comparison: Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson

DaQuan, eh?

Also from Rivals, Oklahoma isn't on his short list. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Mario-Edwards-106231) I know short lists change as fast as teen minds on what's popular, but still interesting... he has many Texas schools on his list, including TCU, A&M, UT of course, and even Baylor.

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/19/2011, 12:47 PM
It doesn't and I am a personal testament to this fact.

Most of the posters here hate me and wish that I would go away, but that would mean less football polls on Monday and Thursday, so they put up with me :D

I like you badger. I vote on almost all of your polls, and Im very appreciative of them. :D

Jason Alexander
7/19/2011, 12:52 PM
I cant believe Tulsa hasn't offered to this guy.

Howzit
7/19/2011, 01:27 PM

Done.
Thank you...

pssst...he can't hear you...

sperry
7/19/2011, 01:43 PM

Speaking of panties in a wad... Deep breaths, skippy.

BoulderSooner79
7/19/2011, 02:21 PM
Off season sniping - it's not just for breakfast anymore.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/19/2011, 03:20 PM
Speaking of panties in a wad... Deep breaths, skippy.

Sorry bout that ma'am. ;) I've been working out alot here lately so I'm easily irritated. Ya know, roid rage and all...

SoonerofAlabama
7/19/2011, 03:24 PM
Sorry bout that ma'am. ;) I've been working out alot here lately so I'm easily irritated. Ya know, roid rage and all...

Who are you calling ma'am you jerk. Why I oughta.... ;) :D

Mad Dog Madsen
7/19/2011, 04:38 PM
Who are you calling ma'am you jerk. Why I oughta.... ;) :D

Man, I swear you're oudavid1... Are you oudavid1?!? :D

OUInformant
7/19/2011, 10:16 PM
Jackie Shipp is a great recruiter. It wouldn't surprise me to see Mario shift to OU. It just really depends on the depth chart at FSU, IMO.

I think he would have an opportunity to play early at OU, but maybe that is the case at FSU. Coach Fisher has recruited several top-notch DEs this year, so this may be another reason why he has decided to look around.

Illuminati
7/19/2011, 10:23 PM
Maybe the outcome of the game will be the deciding factor!

If so, we will get him :D

Soonermagik
7/20/2011, 08:08 AM
FSU is going to be the next big thing in the state of Florida. I look for them to run over the gators for the next few years. I expect Jimbo to get at least one national title in the next 4-5 years. FSU is certainly getting the talent to turn their program around.

soonerloyal
7/20/2011, 10:40 AM
FSU is going to be the next big thing in the state of Florida. I look for them to run over the gators for the next few years. I expect Jimbo to get at least one national title in the next 4-5 years. FSU is certainly getting the talent to turn their program around.

Looking forward to watching Jimbo crush Muschy on a regular basis. Looking forward to Jimbo crushing everyone but Stoops & Company.

Looking forward to Stoops & Co. crushing everyone - and on a regular basis, akshully. :D

yankee
7/20/2011, 11:09 AM
Daddy Edwards said they'll be at the OU-FSU game and will be at the RRS too. Sounds to me like he's not 110% sold on FSU. :pop:

badger
7/20/2011, 11:17 AM
Daddy Edwards said they'll be at the OU-FSU game and will be at the RRS too. Sounds to me like he's not 110% sold on FSU. :pop:

Or... you take free trips to football games around the country because the schools are just handing them to you when you're a highly touted recruit :D

Ruf/Nek7
7/20/2011, 11:21 AM
I think we are very much on Mario's radar. I thought about posting a link to this on the recruiting board but instead commented about it in the "very good news coming soon"thread....which never happened;)

dad said they would definitely be back for a game....that's when we sway him away from jimbo

OU_Sooners75
7/20/2011, 11:55 AM
MDM, why are your panties in a twist?

OU_Sooners75
7/20/2011, 11:55 AM
Wow, I didn't know that the number of times that one posted on a forum had anything to do with credibility. I don't post as often here as on other forums, but if your elevated post count makes you feel good about yourself, so be it.

And yeah, I'm always happy....

Pay no attention to MDM....he is just a sour puss.

OU_Sooners75
7/20/2011, 11:57 AM

:confused:

Yeah, working out as 12 ounce curls!

BoulderSooner79
7/20/2011, 12:02 PM
Maybe it's rhoid rage (hemorrhoids).

OU_Sooners75
7/20/2011, 12:07 PM
Maybe it's rhoid rage (hemorrhoids).

That or it is just his time of the month.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/20/2011, 02:25 PM
That or it is just his time of the month.

Wow, that was original... I bet you got lots of spek for that one. And why are you so obsessed with me all of a sudden? 4 posts in row? Really? A little man crush I suppose? :)

Ruf/Nek7
7/20/2011, 03:09 PM
I'm hot and bothered:D

OU_Sooners75
7/20/2011, 07:27 PM
Wow, that was original... I bet you got lots of spek for that one. And why are you so obsessed with me all of a sudden? 4 posts in row? Really? A little man crush I suppose? :)

You're just sexy in your doochebaggery.

NOVSooner
9/22/2011, 08:19 AM
Mario Edwards to be attending the OU-mizzou game this weekend!

BigTime1
9/22/2011, 09:11 AM
You know, I have a lot of respect for a kid's dad wanting him to really see the other choices rather than just railroad his son to his alma mater. Unless, of course, this turns out to be a sales call like Cam Newton and Pops.

I have huge problem with recommending taking visits if his dads alma mater is OU! Other than that what pieces of crap to not let their kids make the decision.

SunnySooner
9/22/2011, 09:11 AM
(In best Sesame Street Count voice..) Vaaaaaaarryyy IIIInnteresssstiiiinggg!!! Now he'll see OUr stadium is like Doak was on Saturday EVERY weekend, not just the big games. I would think it would seriously suck to play in front of a bunch of empty seats all the time, those Seminole kids got a taste last week of what it means to have a full house, and if I were a recruit, I'd want to play in that atmosphere a lot more than once every blue moon.

I know it's just a small piece of the puzzle when deciding where to go, but that's one that is definitely in OUr favor, a lot of weekends Doak looks a lot more like that orange atrocity in Payne county than it does glorious Owen Field.

NOVSooner
9/22/2011, 09:13 AM
also attending are Zach Banner (OT), Jordan Payton (WR), and Edwards. Mario is still committed to FSU but said last week that he is still also interested in OU, too, so we'll see.