PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Sooner Network???

Ruf/Nek7
7/18/2011, 06:48 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2011/07/18/castiglione-talks-about-the-progress-towards-a-24-hour-sooners-network/

Hopefully this all comes into fruition soon!

Flagstaffsooner
7/18/2011, 07:30 PM
24 hour volleyball. Oh boy.

Ruf/Nek7
7/18/2011, 07:54 PM
24 hour volleyball. Oh boy.

With Roethlisberger

goingoneight
7/18/2011, 07:59 PM
These TV networks aren't going to be what all us football fans want it to be. We're imagining classic OU/TX games and Spring practice videos all day long when it will actually probably be like stated above... lots of volleyball, golf, wrestling and other things that don't get the pub that football does.

LASooner
7/18/2011, 08:59 PM
I eagerly await the Windows Media Center Add-in

OUVarsityXV
7/18/2011, 11:00 PM
I would like to think we have the fan base for a television network, but the truth is very few schools enjoy that kind of fan base. I think Joe C is right something will have to be different for us to sustain a network.

jagvocate
7/18/2011, 11:38 PM
Maybe we non-UT schools could join together for a true "Big XII" network to go up against The Longhorn Network / ESiPN?

SoCaliSooner
7/18/2011, 11:50 PM
OU isn't going to have their own network. That ship has sailed. They are going to have essentially fox sports southwest with the other schools in the conference. Texas has the upper hand big time. ESPN isn't going to let their network fail, so they will disregard any objectivity to promote their brand.

OUstud
7/19/2011, 02:33 AM
OU getting a network would be lame at this point. Texas has always had a much bigger enrollment and is the main university of a much bigger state than ours, so if any school is going to have one, Texas would be it.

If they are really wanting to create a network, OU should at least wait about 5 years to see if LHN actually works.

KantoSooner
7/19/2011, 10:09 AM
I think it's a mistake to make it all athletics. The university can get a lot more out of it if it show cases what's going on in addition to athletics. I'd tune in to watch poli sci and area studies profs break down current events. I'd watch rowing (for example) if they didn't try to turn it into an all day event. Some creativity, which the journalism school has, and it could be a nice, off beat, OU centered video entertainment site.

agoo758
7/19/2011, 10:53 AM
I think Badger's Toy Story 3 idea for the Longhorn Network should be for OUr network! :D

Canyonero
7/19/2011, 10:55 AM
I'd watch rowing (for example) if they didn't try to turn it into an all day event. Some creativity, which the journalism school has, and it could be a nice, off beat, OU centered video entertainment site.

How about some Rockford Files and Ed Harris movies. They should also buy the rights to Stone Cold.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/19/2011, 11:00 AM
With Roethlisberger

YESSS!!! :D

KantoSooner
7/19/2011, 11:35 AM
How about some Rockford Files and Ed Harris movies. They should also buy the rights to Stone Cold.

You could do things like that. Or have home made video competitions at 3 A.M. Hell, you might even do something like cooperating with away team journalism schools, like FSU, to produce videos showing people around town and suggesting food/bev/hotel options. 24 hours is a boat load of time to fill 7 dauys a week; but with a whole journalism school and 20,000 caffeine wired maniacs to generate content it shouldn't be that hard.

Chuck Bao
7/19/2011, 02:04 PM
You could do things like that. Or have home made video competitions at 3 A.M. Hell, you might even do something like cooperating with away team journalism schools, like FSU, to produce videos showing people around town and suggesting food/bev/hotel options. 24 hours is a boat load of time to fill 7 dauys a week; but with a whole journalism school and 20,000 caffeine wired maniacs to generate content it shouldn't be that hard.

I agree. It really could be done on the cheap and since cable and satellite TV offer many hundreds of channels, broadcasting on a regional or national basis is not that expensive at all. I assume that there is huge bandwidth available as technology improves and compression of a particular broadcast bandwidth narrows, allowing for many, many multiples of previous capacity constraints. I may be just talking out out of my butt here, but that is what I understand in my very limited tech knowledge as told to me from the satellite owners.

I was going to suggest that the Sooner Network fill time could be some old OU football games from the 70s. I would love to relive some of that era again. Then, I started wondering if OU actually owned the broadcast rights to those games. I assume that broadcast rights are held by the major networks at the time - ABC, NBC and CBS.

I noticed at OU women's basketball home games that there are several cameras trained on the game. I just have to assume that one of those is an OU owned camera crew, adding to our stock library, as well as, probably more importantly, a coaching aid. I assume that the media department at OU films and records all of the minor sports.

That led me to wonder if the Sooner Network could broadcast those. But would it be possible only with the permission of the opposing university on a case-by-case basis since they should get something out of it too?

If anyone has any insights on how the Longhorn Network is resolving this, I would be very interested to know. Maybe they are putting re-broadcast rights into the contract with all non-conference foes and already got the deal that all Big XII opponents have to accept it under some prearranged terms.

The Longhorn Network may be a very good deal in pioneering the taking back pg broadcast rights. It could end up being as significant as OU, Georgia and a few others legally challenging the NCAA in controlling the number of regular season TV appearances. After all, the value of it may not be in immediate income in the short-term but the value of the broadcast rights over the next 50 years. UT seems to get it.

At this point, I would welcome any comment or to be totally shot down.

KantoSooner
7/19/2011, 02:25 PM
Chuck, we'll just get Khun Sa to negotiate the rights. Should be all wrapped up by tomorrow, lunchtime-ish. Drinks?

Chuck Bao
7/19/2011, 02:59 PM
Chuck, we'll just get Khun Sa to negotiate the rights. Should be all wrapped up by tomorrow, lunchtime-ish. Drinks?

Ha! And spek for knowing about Khun Sa! For those of you who don't get the reference, Khun Sa was a very powerful opium warlord in the Golden Triangle with his own large army and had for some time successfully fought off the Burmese troops and fought for an independent Shan state.

For the record, I never got into that mess, but I had journalist friends invited in by Khun Sa and they have some fun stories of interviewing Khun Sa while his compound at Mendapaw (sp?) was being shelled by Burmese troops.

My charity is largely given to the refugee minority Christian Karens further south, as well as the persecuted Burmese educated and the Buddhist monks in Rangoon fleeing west to the Thai border town of Mae Sot. The last time, I was asked if I wanted to visit the Karen military camp in Burma. I told them: "I don't think so." Yeah, I can have a good idea, occasionally.

WichitaSooner
7/19/2011, 04:17 PM
#1.... I like ms. roethlisberger... but she will be about the 8th or 9th hottest woman on our volleyball team. I can see not too many of you guys have watched our team... do yourself a favor and check them out. You won't be disappointed.

#2.... This network is happening. PERIOD. And sports will only be a portion of what happens on it. They will broadcast the 2 graduations each year and other academic realated things such as special speakers or conferences... We are a university after all.

KantoSooner
7/19/2011, 04:26 PM
And when Chuck says 'large army', he's talking about a force of 30,000 with T72 tanks and at least 3 F16s.
Khun Sa did not **** around.
I'd love to turn him loose on Dr. Tom and Nebraska in a copyright infringement kerfuffle.

jumperstop
7/19/2011, 04:41 PM
I know the Big Ten Network shows non-athletic stuff sometimes. I didn't watch it, but there was a musical on there being performed at PSU by some students. They could fill it with all sorts of stuff. Whether or not it's interesting is another thing.

soonercoop1
7/19/2011, 06:34 PM
Guaranteed they may try the other sports at first but will go back to mostly football when their ratings drop....

Herr Scholz
7/19/2011, 07:09 PM
These TV networks aren't going to be what all us football fans want it to be.
I wouldn't be so sure. I've read the programming of our impending channel will be nonstop coverage of UT football, coaches shows, practices, player interviews, HS recruits' games, etc. The ESPN studio will be right by campus so there will be plenty of football content.

I'm just as excited about all the baseball games being on though.

Scott D
7/19/2011, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. I've read the programming of our impending channel will be nonstop coverage of UT football, coaches shows, practices, player interviews, HS recruits' games, etc. The ESPN studio will be right by campus so there will be plenty of football content.

liar, you're just giddy about the men's diving coverage.

Herr Scholz
7/19/2011, 07:16 PM
Nah, I'll just catch the Longhorn swimmers and tracksters winning medals in the olympics next year on NBC.

jumperstop
7/19/2011, 07:16 PM

I heard on the radio that they are having trouble getting the idea of HS games on the Longhorn Network because it violates rules and stuff. UT is saying that it's ESPN's network and they can do what they want. But other people (I guess other schools) are trying to say it's a way to give them an upper hand in recruiting. I don't know how legit any of this is, but I bet they won't be able to show high school games, especially ones featuring current or potential recruits.

fwsooner22
7/20/2011, 07:59 AM
Nah, I'll just catch the Longhorn swimmers and tracksters winning medals in the olympics next year on NBC.

No doubt you have the swimmers but c'mon you haven't even won a Big 12 track championship since 2004. Heck even that little, tiny school, OU has won one since then. If your boys and girls aren't winning any little conference titles I doubt the olympics are on the horizon.

Sooner_Tuf
7/20/2011, 12:40 PM
Will they be having a year in review for Inside Longhorn Football? I'd pay to see that sh!t running down the legs all over Austin.

htownsooner7
7/20/2011, 01:48 PM
I heard on the radio that they are having trouble getting the idea of HS games on the Longhorn Network because it violates rules and stuff. UT is saying that it's ESPN's network and they can do what they want. But other people (I guess other schools) are trying to say it's a way to give them an upper hand in recruiting. I don't know how legit any of this is, but I bet they won't be able to show high school games, especially ones featuring current or potential recruits.

The TexAgs guy, Billy Lucci, was just on the radio and it sounds like ATM is throwing a major fit about the high school games. His point was that it makes no sense that Mack Brown can't talk about recruits by name but that the Longhorn Network can talk about them and show their games.

htownsooner7
7/20/2011, 01:51 PM
Also, there are big time problems about what games can be shown on the network and who, if anyone, must approve of the game before it happens. The example was what if the network and/or ESPN decide to buy the rights and show the UT vs. Tech game on the network, not only are you forcing Tech fans to watch the longhorn network but Tech is being forced to directly contribute (make more money and help recruiting) towards UT athletics. There are a number of problems with this network that have not been flushed out yet. I hadn't thought about these things but I see it now.

delhalew
7/20/2011, 03:40 PM
Any involvement with high school ball will violate NCAA bylaws.

rekamrettuB
7/20/2011, 04:00 PM

So is it going to be nonstop football or football and some baseball games?

Found out through a buddy that DirecTV is not picking up this station nor has any plans to. All the more reason to switch to DTV.

jumperstop
7/20/2011, 04:07 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that the Longwhorn Network has come to an agreement to show reruns of Friday Night Lights. Don't know how accurate this is, but sounds gay.

Breadburner
7/20/2011, 04:20 PM

http://images.theage.com.au/ftage/ffximage/2009/02/01/PM_phelps_narrowweb__300x400,0.jpg

Canyonero
7/21/2011, 01:03 AM
They hacked Scholz's phone for that pic.