PDA

View Full Version : Carry a Gun!

I Am Right
7/18/2011, 04:13 PM
Good Samaritan comes to the man's rescue

Randy Mitchell City Editor The Ada News

Ada — Stonewall resident Daniel Murray is lucky to be alive today and he credits a fellow Stonewall resident for saving him.

Murray was attacked by a pack of vicious dogs July 8 when a good Samaritan — 24-year-old Jennifer Sweet — came to his aid.

“That Jennifer is a hero,” Murray said. “She’s my hero.”

Murray is a slim and trim 47-year-old who runs marathons as a hobby. He trains every morning to avoid the oven-like heat of midday and was out for his usual morning run when the attack occurred. He set out in the pre-dawn hours running west down Jesse Road.

Four miles out and four miles back, was the plan. As he neared Stonewall at about mile seven-and-a-half, dogs ranging in size from medium to large attacked him at his legs.

Murray, afraid if he was knocked down he would be killed, fought back. He carries a pocket knife with him when he runs and used it as the dogs were attacking.

“I pulled out my pocket knife and decided, ‘I have to stand and fight these dogs off,’” he said. “I wasn’t having much luck. When one would come at me, I’d swing at that one, then another would get me from behind.”

Murray began running down the highway toward Stonewall. The dogs pursued and kept up the attack. Murray — fatigued and winded — again stopped to fight.

“I was getting too tired,” he said. “I was swinging the knife all around me like a windmill at these dogs all around me, and I was getting some of them, but not enough to make them stop. They were just like devil dogs...like they were possessed.”

Murray said besides the vicious bites, the dogs’ loud barking and growling made the situation more tense.

Sweet help arrives

He again fled and that’s when Sweet pulled upon the scene.

Sweet, who drives her husband to work every morning, was returning to Stonewall a little earlier than usual and she witnessed Murray’s struggle.

“He would try to run away a little bit, and there would be one right on him,” she said. “He would try to back up and there would be one in the back, then he would go forward and one would get in front of him. They were surrounding him, so no matter which way he went they were there.”

Sweet — who was alone with her toddler son —faced a dilemma of her own; get out to help, and she too could end up a victim.

“I drove my car out where he was to see if I could honk the horn and maybe scare the dogs away, but it didn’t work,” she said.

“She was honking her horn and I could tell by the look on her face she was scared to death,” Murray said.

“It was very scary,” Sweet said. “I don’t even know how to describe it, but it’s something that I’ve never seen before. It was frightening.”

“She was driving her car beside me,” he said. “I was covered in sweat and blood, and she had her baby in the back seat, so I didn’t want to just jump in her car.”

Sweet called 911 while helping. Murray again tried to run before stopping to fight. Exhausted, and polite, Murray asked if he could get on the hood of the car.

“She said, ‘Yah, yah, get on the hood’” Murray said. “And so I did and she whisked me away to safety.”

Murray said they drove for several blocks and were approaching Stonewall Schools when the dogs finally gave up the chase.

Murray refused an ambulance ride to the hospital and drove himself to an urgent care clinic in Ada where he received treatment for numerous lacerations and puncture wounds.

The dogs were captured by Stonewall police and are being held in quarantine, pending rabies testing. After testing, they will be destroyed.

Heroics rewarded

On Wednesday, Sweet was presented with a Citizenship Award by Stonewall police for her good deed. She was also given a gift card courtesy of Stonewall Chamber of Commerce.

“They gave her that award that last night with a $50 gift card for the Rib Crib and I personally bought her a $50 gift certificate from Santa Fe Cattle Company,” Murray said Thursday. “I told her if she ever needs me for anything, I’m indebted to her. I believe she saved my life.”

KantoSooner
7/18/2011, 04:19 PM
Might I suggest a Taurus Arms 'Judge' loaded with .410s with No. 8 shot? Seems about right for the situation and is easily holstered.

Aldebaran
7/18/2011, 04:20 PM
Ada, Always Ada...

Mississippi Sooner
7/18/2011, 04:22 PM
I would suggest staying the hell out of Stonewall. And by all means, avoid Tupelo at all cost.

jumperstop
7/18/2011, 04:55 PM
Might I suggest a Taurus Arms 'Judge' loaded with .410s with No. 8 shot? Seems about right for the situation and is easily holstered.

I want a judge

jdsooner
7/18/2011, 04:56 PM
Ada, Always Ada...
So true!

stevo
7/18/2011, 05:33 PM
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/clairequilty/ada.jpg

Sooner_Tuf
7/18/2011, 05:42 PM
I would suggest staying the hell out of Stonewall. And by all means, avoid Tupelo at all cost.

You can get a pretty good hamburger in Tupelo.

The problem with having a gun in a situation like that is in Oklahoma you can only fire one shot. Any more than that and you might just find yourself doing life in prison and being subjected to an ongoing smear campaign even after your conviction.

King Fuzzy
7/18/2011, 06:35 PM
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/clairequilty/ada.jpg

Brilliant!!!

AlbqSooner
7/18/2011, 07:50 PM

An excellent suggestion. 6 inch barrel shotgun with hand grip and it is legal. Oh yeah.

cantwait48
7/18/2011, 11:51 PM
from the title I was waiting for this mom to pull out a .45 and start sending all the devil dogs to heaven

SoonerHoops
7/18/2011, 11:59 PM
Stevo, why are anipals in Ada so vicious?

KantoSooner
7/19/2011, 08:02 AM
Somehow the whole concept of having the dogs in our lives waiting for us at the other end of the rainbow bridge just got a little more...challenging.

stevo
7/19/2011, 01:53 PM
Stevo, why are anipals in Ada so vicious?

We breed them to kill "health freaks"

Breadburner
7/19/2011, 01:58 PM
They were Black Labs...The dude was white..duh.!

Mississippi Sooner
7/19/2011, 02:02 PM
Stonewall has the Longhorn as its mascot.

Just sayin'.

soonerchk
7/19/2011, 02:30 PM
We breed them to kill "health freaks"

And albinos.

GKeeper316
7/19/2011, 02:34 PM
pepper spray would have worked just fine in this situation... and it doesn't weigh nearly as much as a loaded handgun, which a runner needs to consider.

Aldebaran
7/19/2011, 02:35 PM
And albinos.

And Grannies.

3rdgensooner
7/19/2011, 02:36 PM
I wish I would have seen this earlier. It would have been very helpful to have had a gun on me when that dachshund pulled free of its leash and went after my ankles.

Aldebaran
7/19/2011, 02:37 PM
Or a former OU punter.

KantoSooner
7/19/2011, 02:40 PM
Plus just think of what a .410 shotgun would do, at 2-3 feet, to the average dachshund.
<I'd react like 'Clean' in Apocalypse Now, safing his .50 and adjusting his aviator shades. "Damn".>

Breadburner
7/19/2011, 02:48 PM
ZGUyMFPJRnU&feature=related

GKeeper316
7/19/2011, 02:50 PM
ZGUyMFPJRnU&feature=related

fixt?

Sooner_Tuf
7/19/2011, 03:03 PM
pepper spray would have worked just fine in this situation... and it doesn't weigh nearly as much as a loaded handgun, which a runner needs to consider.

Then the guy would have been in the middle of a cloud of pepper spray.

A can of pepper spray may do the job on one attacker that is downwind. Spraying in every direction at 6+ attackers can't be a recommended application for the product. To say nothing of the limited quantity in one can.

About all a guy could do would to be to try to minimize his injuries and kill as many of the dogs as he could until help arrives.

soonerchk
7/19/2011, 03:47 PM
About all a guy could do would to be to try to minimize his injuries and kill as many of the dogs as he could until help arrives.

Who cares how many 5th graders you could take in a fight when what we really need to know is how many dachshunds you could take in a fight!!!

XFollower
7/19/2011, 03:49 PM
I was hoping the story was going to lead to the Sweet lady being a CCL holder and doing target practice on the mutts. Rescue by hood is so much more boring.

Phil
7/19/2011, 04:32 PM
The problem with having a gun in a situation like that is in Oklahoma you can only fire one shot. Any more than that and you might just find yourself doing life in prison and being subjected to an ongoing smear campaign even after your conviction.

I don't think it was the one shot, I think it was the five shots 45 seconds later with a different gun that caused the problem.

Mississippi Sooner
7/19/2011, 04:34 PM
Man, that pharmacist dude gets into all kinds of threads.

The
7/19/2011, 04:34 PM
Man, that pharmacist dude gets into all kinds of threads.

DAMN IT, JEROME!

Sooner_Tuf
7/20/2011, 01:38 PM
Who cares how many 5th graders you could take in a fight when what we really need to know is how many dachshunds you could take in a fight!!!

Me personally? All of em because I would just run over them back up and get the ones I missed the first time. When I have to run somewhere I use a vehicle. Six tires and a turbo diesel means never having to fear the weenie.

Sooner_Tuf
7/20/2011, 01:49 PM
I don't think it was the one shot, I think it was the five shots 45 seconds later with a different gun that caused the problem.

Yeah like I said you can only fire one shot.

I know Ersland should have just given him the money, the drugs and prayed the kids didn't kill him, the other employees, and customers. Is it legal to pray in the workplace?

Really this should be a good example of how we are not pumping enough money into the ghettos of America. They are forced to rob, they don't have any other choice.

DIB
7/20/2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah like I said you can only fire one shot.

I know Ersland should have just given him the money, the drugs and prayed the kids didn't kill him, the other employees, and customers. Is it legal to pray in the workplace?

Really this should be a good example of how we are not pumping enough money into the ghettos of America. They are forced to rob, they don't have any other choice.

Exhibit A of why Baby Boomers failed as a generation. Their grasp of logic is tenuous at best.

Sooner_Tuf
7/20/2011, 04:53 PM
Exhibit A of why Baby Boomers failed as a generation. Their grasp of logic is tenuous at best.

Why aren't you the fellow that posted about wanting to put his dick in a jelly donut and was looking for a sponsor for his anus?

I can see why you think we don't think alike. Because we don't.

DIB
7/20/2011, 08:13 PM
Why aren't you the fellow that posted about wanting to put his dick in a jelly donut and was looking for a sponsor for his anus?

I can see why you think we don't think alike. Because we don't.

iknowryte? If someone as ****ed up as me can tell the difference between a hero and a coldblooded murderer, what does that say about you?

The
7/21/2011, 08:16 AM
DAMN YOU, JEROME!