PDA

View Full Version : Monday poll: Future non-conf opponents

badger
7/18/2011, 10:43 AM
I'm going to base this poll's answers on this site (http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-12/oklahoma-sooners.php) and the rumor that we are gonna do an anniversary home-and-home with Nebbish (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5872228).

So, here are the nominees. As most of these are home-and-home, please consider both home and away, with the exception of FSU and TCU at home, which already happened :D

Florida State (2011)
TCU (2012)
Notre Dame (2012-13... 2014?) Read more here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2951374)
Tennessee (2014-15) Read more here (http://blog.chron.com/big12/2005/09/ou-tennessee-to-meet-in-2014-and-15/)
Ohio State (2016-17) Read more here (http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/01/ohio_state_football_will_play.html)
LSU (2018-19)
Army (2018, 2020) Read more here (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/2414/ou-announces-two-game-series-with-army)
Nebraska (rumored to be 2020-21)

I think it's fair to consider the possibility that some of these matchups won't happen when voting. After all, there's always the possibility that with a bigger conference schedule now in the revised Big 12, one of our non-conf matchups will have to be dropped. 2020 is a long ways away. However, for the time being, it looks like these big matchups against programs with nat'l championship histories (yes, even TCU) are set to happen.

Which one is the most intimidating opponent on the schedule? Which opponent is most likely go give OU fits on the road (or at home) and which opponent is most like to hand OU a big "L," thereby taking away any homes and dreams of BCS glory in this era of undefeated-or-no-title-hope?

Vote for one anonymously and don't change your vote. Because this is based on future scheduling and not on bowl speculation or whatever, I'm going to take away the write-in option (after all, you didn't use it last time anyway). Three days of votin'!

OUVarsityXV
7/18/2011, 11:10 AM
It has got to be LSU. They have built that program into a consistent NC contender. Certainly playing in Death Valley will be a test.

2) FSU- They have the potential to knock us out of the NC race and the talent to do it. Revenge is lingering on their minds.

3)Nebraska- If that even does happen they will be tough as always. Who knows what they will be doing in the big 10 at the time. That road environment will be salty.

4)OSU- Who knows how the Buckeyes will be affected by these infractions. Their program may be really down at this point, but going to the horseshoe is a test and until their penalties are further revealed this game will be big.

5)TCU- They are going to be good just how good remains to be seen. This season will tell how difficult the test will be next year.

6)UT- The Vols and ND are both in the same boat to me. Their programs may be starting to show signs of life. However they are above ND on this list because playing at Tenn will be a significantly tougher environment than in ND.

7) ND- I know they are turning around that program and by the time we face them they may be contenders, but until there is further evidence I imagine touchdown Jesus will be pretty upset when the Sooners come to town.

8) Who knows where are program will be in 2020, but if we are who we are now I am not worried about them in the least.

texaspokieokie
7/18/2011, 11:54 AM
Badjjie;

you know how we're gonna vote, just tell us the results.
:P

OU Engineer
7/18/2011, 12:05 PM
tough to say since some of these are so far into the future, but LSU in Death Valley will always be a tough game...

BigTip
7/18/2011, 12:08 PM
I voted FSU because I'm working on my coach-speak.
"We're just focused on that next game Erin"

badger
7/18/2011, 12:40 PM
Badjjie;

you know how we're gonna vote, just tell us the results.
:P

Have to go with the OU ties as always... and those ties in this case are :les: to LSU because he is the last Poke coach to beat us... and those distant memories become more distant with each passing season :D

So yeah, I fully expect most of you to vote en masse for LSU. Challenge: Prove me wrong and try to make your case for one of the other seven nominees.

Mississippi Sooner
7/18/2011, 12:47 PM
I voted for FSU just because they are the next one up, and we know they are supposed to be good. Too many unknowns with the others at this point in time.

SoonerofAlabama
7/18/2011, 12:47 PM
I am saying FSU, just because we don't know where LSU or we will be that far into the future. We know now that FSU-OU will be a top 10, possibly top 5match-up. I sure hope we beat the tar out of them, but I know it will be a tough game. If we escape with a win, I will be very happy.

badger
7/18/2011, 12:48 PM
New challenge: Be an overachiever like VarsityXV and rank the matchups.

SoonerofAlabama
7/18/2011, 01:04 PM
1. Florida State - Potential top 5 match-up. Two solid teams. We are on the road, teams have more experience now. Game will be much closer.

2. LSU - Team I always look to try and beat. They have been made into a solid program. A trip to Death Valley would cause problems, wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

3. Ohio State - This could be around the time that OSU gets back to normal. If the NCAA hearing takes a long time to get through the courts and they get slapped badly by the NCAA, this could be the year they get back from that.

4. TCU - Good game in 2008. Gary Patterson is a very good coach and will make this team better with recruiting and putting players in the right place.

5. Tennessee - Would be great to beat them as well. I get to hear a lot of crap from Tennessee fans, would be a joy to hear some of the excuses for the loss.

6. Notre Dame - Got to love playing the domers. It would be great to beat them into the ground, always potential in these games for a top 25 match-up.

7. Nebraska - May be in a while, but a little rivalry renewal would be great. Love watching these two play, and now that it will be non-conferenceit won't mean as much but surely will be a great game.

8. Army - Love playing the service academies. Shouldn't be a test no matter when we play them, but should be fun either way.

badger
7/18/2011, 02:10 PM
No votes for Nebbish or Army? Doesn't a big sca-wee Big Ten opponent scare you? :P

Army is scheduled to be at Yankees Stadium if I remember correctly.

SoonerDood
7/18/2011, 02:22 PM
Army is scheduled to be at Yankee Stadium if I remember correctly.

If that's true, I'll be the first one in the door!

Jacie
7/18/2011, 07:11 PM
The series record vs. ND speaks for itself, 1-8. Even Bob Stoops has fallen to the domers, as OUr 1999 squad, the one that led every game but could not hold onto a lead, gave up 20 unanswered points from midway through the third quarter and lost 30-34. Notre Dame was the last team to beat OU before 47-straight and the team that brought that same streak to an end. I think the irish have some kind of voodoo hex over OU.

Rivaltees
7/18/2011, 08:22 PM
I would say the FSU game not because I feel FSU is superior, but because the other games are so far out (sans ND) that it is too difficult to say and too many factors particularly with how fast the landscape of college football changes. If the hammer gets dropped on Oh-Lie-Oh state, then it could be a long time before they come back. With FSU you know you are getting a talented opponent whose strength will match up with our strength.

the-rover
7/19/2011, 06:11 AM
I'll go with FSU since we know they'll be good this year. LSU is the next best answer but is still 6-7 years away, so who knows how tough the matchup will be.