PDA

View Full Version : Jim Donnan accused in Ponzi scheme

mgsooner
7/16/2011, 01:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/6774323/jim-donnan-former-georgia-bulldog-coach-accused-ponzi-scheme

SoonerPride
7/16/2011, 02:06 PM
Wow.
It reads like a who's who of coaching all duped into sinking money into Donnan's kids pockets.
Just wow.

cccasooner2
7/16/2011, 02:38 PM
I don't know how the defense attorneys will spin this in or out of court, but any time a "seller" takes in 15-20 percent of new money without informing the "investors" is commiting fraud. I know, he was doing it for his family, God, and America, but how much due dilligence can you pawn off on the people you are robbing.

King Barry's Back
7/17/2011, 09:00 AM
Seemingly irrelevant story, but it's all I got:

Back in the 80s, on game day, my family sat amongst most of the OU asst coaches' families.

One day, there was big, athletic looking kid, whom I had never seen before, sitting in front of me. I'd have never known who he was, except he was wearing an official coach's jacket with the name "Donnan" stitched on the chest.

Very late in the game, the o-coordinator made a call that didn't produce many yards. The stadium was emptying out, and it was quiet, and a fan to our left yelled out, "Come on Donnan, that sucks!" Todd Donnan turned towards this guy, about five seats away, and shouted "You better shut up!"

The whole section cringed. A daughter of another asst coach we had known for years turned green. She said, "That's Coach Donnan's son! Oh, no!" She must have known what that felt like.

No violence ensued, and there's not much of an ending to the story, but it's sure weird to have one contact with somebody over 20 years ago, and then suddenly read about them again in a totally different context.

picasso
7/17/2011, 09:43 AM
I heard about this on the radio last week. Not good.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/18/2011, 05:07 PM
I guess we now know why Barry went into the Wine bidness... ;)

LASooner
7/18/2011, 05:38 PM
Remember when people wanted to replace Blake with Donnan?

Sabanball
7/19/2011, 02:50 PM
This really surprised me, and on the surface doesn't look good for him. I've always had a lot of respect for Jim as a football guy. Wasn't his son-in-law Greg Johnson a former O-lineman for you guys back in the mid 80's?

Mississippi Sooner
7/19/2011, 02:53 PM
I guess Finebaum might have to find a new guest for his 5 o' clock time slot on Thursdays this season.

Sabanball
7/19/2011, 02:54 PM
I guess Finebaum might have to find a new guest for his 5 o' clock time slot on Thursdays this season.

Eh, probably. He talked about that yesterday on the show.

Mississippi Sooner
7/19/2011, 03:06 PM
Eh, probably. He talked about that yesterday on the show.

I was wondering if he might have addressed it yet. I usually don't start listening to the show until fall camps get to rolling.

The Maestro
7/19/2011, 03:14 PM
How cool would it be if THIS guy had a Ponzi scheme?

http://www.peoplequiz.com/images/quizzes/fonzie.jpg-2379.jpg

WestLakeHillsSooner
7/19/2011, 03:15 PM
That's really sad. I was around Coach Donnan for a great deal of time and never saw anything but good character and honesty. I just don't see how he could have knowingly committed the acts listed to long-time associates.

humblesooner
7/19/2011, 03:59 PM
This really surprised me, and on the surface doesn't look good for him. I've always had a lot of respect for Jim as a football guy. Wasn't his son-in-law Greg Johnson a former O-lineman for you guys back in the mid 80's?

Greg was a monster lineman back in the day. He was 300 pounds+ in a day when anyone over about 280 was just a big fat guy.

winout
7/19/2011, 05:21 PM
Later Donnan was quoted as saying "we never paid anyone to join GLC, just not to leave early.;)

Sabanball
7/19/2011, 07:13 PM
Greg was a monster lineman back in the day. He was 300 pounds+ in a day when anyone over about 280 was just a big fat guy.

That's what I remember. The guy was an absolute bulldozer for that earth-chewing wishbone you guys ran with Holieway back in the day.