PDA

View Full Version : Which 1x Poll National Champion......

SteelClip49
7/16/2011, 03:01 AM
will be the first to win their 2nd national title?

Texas Christian (1938)
Texas A&M (1939)
Maryland (1953)
UCLA (1954)
Syracuse (1959)
Georgia (1980)
Clemson (1981)
Brigham Young (1984)
Georgia Tech (1990)
Colorado (1990)
Washington (1991)

My guess would be TCU with them soon being in the Big East and having a relatively easy path to get there.

GEORGIA used to be my pick but they always underachieve.

What are your thoughts?

sooner59
7/16/2011, 03:16 AM
I echo your picks.

Peach Fuzz
7/16/2011, 04:52 AM
TCU by default. aTm and UGA have too much competition... if they could ever get out of the conference alive.. if only

King Barry's Back
7/16/2011, 05:44 AM
TCU by default. aTm and UGA have too much competition... if they could ever get out of the conference alive.. if only

TCU is a good pick, but I'll say A&M. IF they upset us this year, they could run the table and be in the BCS Championship.

If they did that, they would definitely be good enough to win the thing.

Probably the same scenario next year, when we play in College Station.

UT will be gettting back into form by next year or the year after, so they might have to look at two upsets. Course, OU will be due for one of their own rebuilding years in 2013 or 2014.

Let's face it, in this new league, if UT or OU has an off year, the championship is pretty wide open to whoever else happens to be peaking.

King Barry's Back
7/16/2011, 05:47 AM
TCU is a good pick, but I'll say A&M. IF they upset us this year, they could run the table and be in the BCS Championship.

If they did that, they would definitely be good enough to win the thing.

Probably the same scenario next year, when we play in College Station.

UT will be gettting back into form by next year or the year after, so they might have to look at two upsets. Course, OU will be due for one of their own rebuilding years in 2013 or 2014.

Let's face it, in this new league, if UT or OU has an off year, the championship is pretty wide open to whoever else happens to be peaking.

I don't want to highjack the thread, but I was just thinking about my own analysis, and a nightmare scenario hit me.

Let's just assume UT has another off year, and OU has to go back to Stillwater this year. We always have a tough time up there, and them pulling the upset is surely a possibility.

It's entirely possible that Boone and The Man could be in the BCS Championship.

Course, they'll get steamrolled by whomever they meet, but I don't want to see that in any case.

LRoss
7/16/2011, 07:04 AM
Of course they've been a mess recently, but in a lot of ways I feel like Washington might have the best situation of any of those schools. If they can get their program back to national prominence, I think they would have the best position to be a contender on a consistent basis.

Obviously a school like aTm, as an example, has a better chance *this* year, but I still feel like that chance is extremely slim, and being aTm they will always be fighting an uphill battle against UT and OU. Washington has the potential to own their conference, especially now with USC getting whacked and Oregon on the hot seat themselves. I feel like TCU and Clemson have the best chance of a "lightning strike" situation where everything just comes together for one magical year -- they seem like they're always generally competitive and are in a so-so conference where a good team and a little luck could run the table if the stars align just so.

agoo758
7/16/2011, 10:29 AM
TCU. Georgia Tech could also be a dark horse to get back into the race if they can return to 2009 form.

tcrb
7/16/2011, 11:51 AM
I don't want to highjack the thread, but I was just thinking about my own analysis, and a nightmare scenario hit me.

Let's just assume UT has another off year, and OU has to go back to Stillwater this year. We always have a tough time up there, and them pulling the upset is surely a possibility.

It's entirely possible that Boone and The Man could be in the BCS Championship.

Course, they'll get steamrolled by whomever they meet, but I don't want to see that in any case.

Since 1946 OU has lost a total of 3 times and tied once in Stoolwater. Just sayin'

cccasooner2
7/16/2011, 12:23 PM
Since 1946 OU has lost a total of 3 times and tied once in Stoolwater. Just sayin'

Highjack averted (hopefully). :D

soonervegas
7/16/2011, 12:32 PM
Georgia

They have been SEC champs twice in the last 9 years and didn't play for it either time. If they win the SEC again chances are they will not get unlucky playing for all the marbles a 3rd time.

Illuminati
7/16/2011, 12:36 PM
Jawja

Breadburner
7/16/2011, 12:41 PM
None of them.....

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/16/2011, 12:58 PM
Clemson

Fertile recruiting and they have been hauling in top 10 classes. If they could get a great coach watch out

Salt City Sooner
7/16/2011, 02:20 PM
2008 is the only time that Stoops has won by double digits there. Yeah, OU usually wins, but they have to work their butts off to get it more often than not.

Football Jim
7/16/2011, 10:15 PM
TCU after they get into the big least.

SoonerofAlabama
7/16/2011, 10:23 PM
My Top 3:

1. TCU-have a great coach, keep doing better in recruiting and are soon going to enter a BCS Conference.

2. BYU-They keep putting more talent on the field. Will go independent soon and then more than likely go to a BCS conference. Either way they get their tie-in.

3. Clemson-Already in a BCS Conference. Do very well in recruiting and put good teams on the field. Just haven't put the pieces together yet.