PDA

View Full Version : New Depth Chart Released

mavsfan31
7/15/2011, 10:27 AM
Nothing really too surprising.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/football-depth-chart.html

Ronnell is still on it and Jamell is still second. (Not surprised by either of the two, just interesting is all.)

bettersoonerthenlater
7/15/2011, 10:29 AM
the impressive part to me is we only graduate 10 guys next year from the two deep that is nuts, i know i am looking way ahead but thats what i do lol. we will be preseason top 5 next year no matter what happens with landry but IF he comes back i see us being preseason #1 again!!!!!

SoonerofAlabama
7/15/2011, 10:30 AM
I guess Millard is back to full health.

SoonerObsession
7/15/2011, 11:07 AM
Roy Finch is not listed. Will he still be recovering from his injury at the beginning of the year?

Sooner Among The Pack
7/15/2011, 11:31 AM
Roy Finch is not listed. Will he still be recovering from his injury at the beginning of the year?

This makes me sad if true.

cccasooner2
7/15/2011, 11:49 AM
Anxious to see the development of Lane Johnson at left tackle. Stoops said some nice things about him in the spring.

R-Fr Quentin Hayes at SS behind Colvin is new I believe.

goingoneight
7/15/2011, 12:23 PM
Seriously... what's going on with Finch? He's the only proven back we've got.

badger
7/15/2011, 12:37 PM
I wonder how many stars Jason White had beside his name by his final year? :D

Widescreen
7/15/2011, 12:38 PM

OUMallen
7/15/2011, 12:47 PM

Watched a couple of highlights of him from last year. Just amazing. :(

SyN
7/15/2011, 01:21 PM
Clay is a major ?...Miller has shown some promise if given a chance... We all know what Mr Finch can do... The fella to watch is {Brandon Williams} if given the chance this season? Which I believe he will...He came to OU to play, and he brought his lunch...

BoulderSooner79
7/15/2011, 03:15 PM
I've liked what I've seen from both Miller and Clay before they got hurt. Didn't Finch miss out on spring because of his foot? I'm sure he'll appear on the depth chart as soon as practice starts and he can participate. Also, I can't see Finch as an every down back due to his size - we need these other guys to play a lot.

OUVarsityXV
7/15/2011, 06:12 PM
Umm I am suprised The Hammer is still on that list...fml

jmillerfan
7/15/2011, 07:25 PM
I've liked what I've seen from both Miller and Clay before they got hurt. Didn't Finch miss out on spring because of his foot? I'm sure he'll appear on the depth chart as soon as practice starts and he can participate. Also, I can't see Finch as an every down back due to his size - we need these other guys to play a lot.

Yea I think the depth chart only has room for 2 players and in the running back position it say Clay OR Miller...I think Finch is a lock on the 2 deep the battle right now is Clay, Miller, Calhoun, Whaley and Williams.

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/15/2011, 08:00 PM
If Finch is recovered from his foot issue by the time fall practice starts, he will be the started for us guaranteed. Im more interested who will be the backup, I want to see what Brandon Williams can do, but know that Clay is already game ready so he will most likely get that spot.

Ruf/Nek7
7/15/2011, 10:23 PM
Joe Powell moved to CB? Since when?

oudavid1
7/15/2011, 10:34 PM
There are only 2 positions on there that have guys under 6 feet, slot and running back. This is Oklahoma.

Talking about offense obviously.

SoonerofAlabama
7/15/2011, 10:59 PM
Hey, just going to say. Landry's interview with Urban Meyer will be shown on College Football Live on July 22nd at 2:30 p.m.

Go here (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6773606) for the video preview.

w0lfe
7/16/2011, 09:45 AM

Months ago

cccasooner2
7/16/2011, 10:12 AM
Months ago

I think he played one of the CB positions in the spring game. A little rough to be expected and got lost at times in the film cllips I saw of the RW game. If he is backup already, it's looking good. IIRC the coaches called him a natural at the position.

desertsooner
7/16/2011, 10:20 AM
I'm as optimistic as the next guy, but the size of that back 7 makes me a little nervous. Fine against spreads, hoping they'll hold up against power running. Trying to envision that group stopping Alabama on the ground ... I just have to take a leap of faith bc imho common sense says that'll be our Achilles heel.

sooners2win
7/16/2011, 10:55 AM

I didn't think Finch proved anymore than Clay?????

Soonermagik
7/16/2011, 11:03 AM
Stoops already said they would use 3-4 running backs. The benefit is getting a fresh back constantly attacking their D.

roy22forheisman
7/16/2011, 09:22 PM

They talked about doing that before last season started. I thought I heard he wasn't catching the ball consistently.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/16/2011, 11:13 PM
Finch = 166 lbs? That's what they have listed on the depth chart/roster. Isn't that a loss of about 14 lbs? I thought he played at about 180 last year... so with the foot if he hasn't been able to workout all spring semester or going through the summer, he may have had a hard time keeping his weight up. That could be an explanation.

Wonder if we're looking at a redshirt for him....

BoulderSooner79
7/17/2011, 08:47 AM
I remember Finch being listed at 170 last year. I doubt we can trust those listings as being accurate or timely, but we do know he is not a big guy.

PLaw
7/17/2011, 09:18 AM
Still glad to see no OL's at multiple positions - really nice job by the staff and Patton building depth here. It drove me nuts seeing a guy's name at 2 or 3 times on the 2-deep.

BOOMER

soonerboy_odanorth
7/17/2011, 05:10 PM
Still glad to see no OL's at multiple positions - really nice job by the staff and Patton building depth here. It drove me nuts seeing a guy's name at 2 or 3 times on the 2-deep.

BOOMER

Great point. Maybe the best depth of the Stoops era. Probably have to go back to '03-'04 for comparable. Hoping Jarvis Jones comes back healthy by Oct 1. Think about that. That would not only give us reliable two-deep experience tackle-to tackle, but we would be reliable three-deep at 2 of the 5 positions.

The only counter-argument I would present is that though I think we can all be confident in the reliability of our two-deep, the question is do they have the talent to be dominant. They were good last year. For a NC run, they need to be better than good at crunch time.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/17/2011, 05:19 PM
Actually, on second glance I do see one surprise on the depth chart. RJ Washington at one of the DE backup spots instead of Grissom. Hope that is a sign that he has had a monster Spring and Summer. Also, check out the size listed for David King (6'5" 273lbs)... think we have our 3rd DE who can play under in the 50 look.

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/18/2011, 11:02 AM
Finch = 166 lbs? That's what they have listed on the depth chart/roster. Isn't that a loss of about 14 lbs? I thought he played at about 180 last year... so with the foot if he hasn't been able to workout all spring semester or going through the summer, he may have had a hard time keeping his weight up. That could be an explanation.

Wonder if we're looking at a redshirt for him....

absolutely not. if he recovers from his injury by the time fall gets here he will be playing.

OUVarsityXV
7/18/2011, 11:13 AM
This is all just speculation. Once August comes around we will see this straighten itself out.

BigTip
7/18/2011, 12:16 PM
but IF he comes back i see us being preseason #1 again!!!!!
...especially after we win it all this year! ;)

Sooner Cal
7/18/2011, 03:45 PM

Are you for real? Has the turnip truck left?

All our returning backs have limited experience and all were injured. I see the all as equal in talent. Execution will determine who plays the most.

NormanPride
7/18/2011, 04:55 PM
I hope Whaley gets a shot!

htownsooner7
7/18/2011, 05:11 PM
I'm as optimistic as the next guy, but the size of that back 7 makes me a little nervous. Fine against spreads, hoping they'll hold up against power running. Trying to envision that group stopping Alabama on the ground ... I just have to take a leap of faith bc imho common sense says that'll be our Achilles heel.

I don't think that will be the defensive grouping against a power running team. Take a look at who we had out there against Nebraska in the CCG. We absolutely committed to shutting down the run after that first break away, it actually looked like a goal line defense at times.

goingoneight
7/18/2011, 06:28 PM
Are you for real? Has the turnip truck left?

All our returning backs have limited experience and all were injured. I see the all as equal in talent. Execution will determine who plays the most.

Everyone feel free to call me when you've watched the film from Iowa State and beyond. Finch unseated Madu as the #2, and looked awesome in the process. He's clearly our most experienced and best big-play guy we have until further notice. What Miller did two years ago against Iadho State means nothing when he's been rehabbing ever since. Calhoun has shown nothing so far. No significant time, no big-plays, no highlights, nada. Same for him as far as the rehab goes. Clay looked like Madu to me, really. Not an insult, but not high praise, either. He's still young and *could* be a good one. Nobody's seen Brandon Williams yet (outside of a forgetful performance in the Spring game).

So I agree with you on one thing... execution will tell the tale. If Finch is healthy (which he should be by now), he's already proven he can do a lot for the offense. We have a 1A right now and that's it.

Also, something we've gotten accustomed to lately is the ball security that DeMarco gave us. Hopefully the n00bs, talented as they may be, don't have a case of the fumbleitis.

I Am Right
7/18/2011, 06:31 PM
I thought Blake Bell was starting QB

picasso
7/21/2011, 11:44 AM
David King, 273. Whoa.

cccasooner2
7/21/2011, 01:24 PM
I hope Whaley gets a shot!

He looks like a real Sooner!!!

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/okla/graphics/mtt-logo.gif

OUVarsityXV
7/21/2011, 01:44 PM
Whaley had a nice run during the spring game which accounted for most of his yards. I think he is a good player but we haven't seen enough of him. If he can show some more in Fall camp sign him up! As for right now it is wide open. The question is who wants to carry the load for the number one team in the country? All these young men should be extremely motivated right about now.