PDA

View Full Version : The last Harry Potter movie

Ctina
7/15/2011, 05:37 AM
Saw it last night. It totally kicked butt. There were a few minor things that bothered me as usual, but it was the best of the bunch!

C&CDean
7/15/2011, 07:12 AM
Allsome. I ain't standing in line to see it, but I'll be there next week sometime. I'm re-listening to the books while mowing hay all day. I don't care how many times I've read them/heard them read they still grab your attention and keep it. Great, great stuff.

picasso
7/15/2011, 07:17 AM
Allsome. I ain't standing in line to see it, but I'll be there next week sometime. I'm re-listening to the books while mowing hay all day. I don't care how many times I've read them/heard them read they still grab your attention and keep it. Great, great stuff.

I'm glad you like it but I'll bet you're the only hay haulin' sumbitch in 4 counties who listens to that whilst cuttin' her down.

olevetonahill
7/15/2011, 07:22 AM
Dean the http://www.enterpriseirregulars.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Renaissance-man.jpg

C&CDean
7/15/2011, 07:35 AM
I'm glad you like it but I'll bet you're the only hay haulin' sumbitch in 4 counties who listens to that whilst cuttin' her down.

Heh. Not anymore. I've turned a couple goobers on to HP and they love it. They ain't gonna read the books (I'm fairly certain they probably can't) but they'll listen to the audio CDs. My copies are getting worn out from everybody swapping them around.

Even my brother - who staunchly stated "everything HP is gayer than hell" is currently on the Prisonor of Azkaban audio CD. He's been driving back and forth from Denver to Dallas moving his **** to Dallas and he says "dang, I never expected those books to be so entertaining. They're not kids' books, they're books about kids and they're funner than hell. Make sure you send me book 4 soon. I'm almost done with 3."

C&CDean
7/15/2011, 07:36 AM
Dean the http://www.enterpriseirregulars.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Renaissance-man.jpg

Dude's got way more hair than me Howie.

olevetonahill
7/15/2011, 07:46 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I've got to go to the Library today cause Im bout out of books, Ima ax Leslie if they got the 1st one, If so Ima read it, ;)

Eielson
7/15/2011, 08:05 AM
I read the books, enjoyed them, and I still think anybody waiting in line for this movie is gayer than hell.

jumperstop
7/15/2011, 08:37 AM
I found myself going last night because of an extra ticket she had from her sister backing out. Only waited a couple hours, and probably could have done without that but I really liked it. I just hate seeing things at midnight showings because people geek out. They think because it's a midnight showing they can do or say anything they want, make retarded comments out loud, hoot and holler because someone kissed or "oh I remember that from the book" scream. It's ****ing stupid...I would rather have watched it at home.

OUTrumpet
7/15/2011, 09:03 AM
I found myself going last night because of an extra ticket she had from her sister backing out. Only waited a couple hours, and probably could have done without that but I really liked it. I just hate seeing things at midnight showings because people geek out. They think because it's a midnight showing they can do or say anything they want, make retarded comments out loud, hoot and holler because someone kissed or "oh I remember that from the book" scream. It's ****ing stupid...I would rather have watched it at home.

Yeah, but sometimes it's fun to laugh at the idiots in costume. I saw one of the Star Wars prequels at Bricktown and there was a guy dressed up in full metal armor. Guy was having trouble breathing in the summer wearing a big metal suit.

StoopTroup
7/15/2011, 09:07 AM
I still haven't seen the First part. I want to see them both in one day and see if Its possible to over-potter.

Peach Fuzz
7/15/2011, 09:28 AM
Heh. Not anymore. I've turned a couple goobers on to HP and they love it. They ain't gonna read the books (I'm fairly certain they probably can't) but they'll listen to the audio CDs. My copies are getting worn out from everybody swapping them around.

Even my brother - who staunchly stated "everything HP is gayer than hell" is currently on the Prisonor of Azkaban audio CD. He's been driving back and forth from Denver to Dallas moving his **** to Dallas and he says "dang, I never expected those books to be so entertaining. They're not kids' books, they're books about kids and they're funner than hell. Make sure you send me book 4 soon. I'm almost done with 3."

I started in on the first book when I was in 8th grade, got 10 pages in and shut it and said **** that... I was in the same boat as your bro and thought they were pretty flammable. I might give the audio a shot. You think they have mp3 format ones?

GKeeper316
7/15/2011, 09:39 AM
I started in on the first book when I was in 8th grade, got 10 pages in and shut it and said **** that... I was in the same boat as your bro and thought they were pretty flammable. I might give the audio a shot. You think they have mp3 format ones?

im sure you could download them as torrent files.

jumperstop
7/15/2011, 09:43 AM
Why would you audio book? You can read them in like day each if your a decent reader.

Ctina
7/15/2011, 09:55 AM
The first couple books are a little harder to get though, but still good. They are written for younger kids, but it picks up in book 3 and just get better from there. I don't know how many times I've read the series and I do get sucked in each time.

I got really lucky last night and didn't stand in line except to get popcorn. My best friend's parents were invited to a 6pm sneak preview by their stockbroker so I got to see it 6 hours early, free, and in 3D. I will go again in a couple weeks when it's not so crazy since hubby didn't get to go with me. Although I was contemplating standing in line to see it again if there was a chance in hell I could get a ticket last night. It was that good.

I was one of the goobers who cheered when Ron and Hermione finally kissed. Sadly I was in an audience full of apparently snooty people who just clapped politely. Really? 10 years of waiting to see it and all you people can do is golf clap? Lame.

Thaumaturge
7/15/2011, 10:26 AM
The first couple books are a little harder to get though, but still good. They are written for younger kids, but it picks up in book 3 and just get better from there. I don't know how many times I've read the series and I do get sucked in each time.

The plot holes certainly picked up in Book 3. How do those fare as the story goes on?

saucysoonergal
7/15/2011, 01:04 PM
It was very good!

soonerboomer93
7/15/2011, 05:18 PM
Important question

How was the Dark Knight Rises teaser?

:D

The Profit
7/15/2011, 07:51 PM
Just got back from the IMAX. It was great. Audience clapped.

The Profit
7/15/2011, 07:52 PM
Important question

How was the Dark Knight Rises teaser?

:D

Meh

SoonerofAlabama
7/15/2011, 08:07 PM
Just got back from the IMAX. It was great. Audience clapped.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff472/SoonerofAlabama/crying-girl-on-american-idol-o.gif

Ctina
7/15/2011, 08:17 PM
The plot holes certainly picked up in Book 3. How do those fare as the story goes on?

Please specify. I'm sure there are some in there, but since I have the whole picture I'm not sure what you are referring to. There are definitely things that were explained/revealed later.

salth2o
7/15/2011, 08:18 PM
I guess I need to watch these movies and read the books. I have never seen or read any of them.

Sooner_Tuf
7/15/2011, 09:33 PM
If you haven't seen any of the movies or read any of the books which movie should you see first?

Mongo
7/15/2011, 09:48 PM
If you haven't seen any of the movies or read any of the books which movie should you see first?

the 4th one. worked well for Star Wars

Mjcpr
7/15/2011, 09:57 PM
Shut up, Meg.

Sooner_Tuf
7/15/2011, 10:01 PM
the 4th one. worked well for Star Wars

Thanks, a couple of my neices are going to be visiting and I didn't figure they would want to sit through all of them.

I'm straight so I won't be watching it. I just needed something around in case I need to keep them occupied for a bit.

Thaumaturge
7/15/2011, 10:43 PM
Please specify. I'm sure there are some in there, but since I have the whole picture I'm not sure what you are referring to. There are definitely things that were explained/revealed later.

I had planned on explaining two for you, but in typing up the second one, I figured out the only logical way to fill the hole. That really warrants a post... no, a thread!... of its own, so I'm going to break this up. The second topic will follow pretty soon in its own thread.

The first thing I wish to discuss is: Why doesn't Dumbledore (and, for that matter, the several other members of the Hogwarts faculty) want to keep Sirius Black, who they all think is a murderer coming to kill Harry Potter, their beloved young boy wizard, out of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry? Allow me to explain...

All of the known entrances to Hogwarts are guarded by dementors, soul-sucking terrors that will suck Sirius Black's soul given the chance. Harry Potter, the clever and resourceful young scamp that he is, discovers via the so-called "Marauder's Map" that there are several hidden entrances that are, in fact, unknown. He is able to use one of them to enter and leave Hogwarts without the dementor's preventing it.

One small problem: We later learn that at least one of these secret entrances is not, in fact, unknown. First off, Professor Remus Lupin is one of the creators of the Marauder's Map, so he knows of the existence of all of the hidden entrances. He believes that his former friend Sirius Black is indeed trying to kill Harry Potter, so he should want to keep him out of Hogwarts. Sirius Black is also a co-creator of the map and thus knows of the hidden entrances. Lupin knows that! Therefore, the right thing for him to do would be to inform all the proper authorities of these hidden entrances so that they can be protected. I am almost willing to excuse this, however, since Lupin admits to concealing other valuable information on Sirius Black (his unknown Animagus powers!), so we already know he's an irresponsible ****-face who doesn't really care about Harry's safety and with no business being a professor at Hogwarts and I'm glad he resigns at the end.

Continuing, Severus Snape also knows of at least one of the hidden entrances, the one which Sirius Black is, in fact, using. Sirius Black tried to play a prank on Severus Snape that involved leading him through the secret tunnel to be killed by the werewolf Lupin. Severus Snape is very bitter about this whole incident and has not forgotten it. He hates Sirius Black and wants him to be caught by the dementors. I guess he probably has a convoluted plan for catching Sirius Black himself, so he has to let him get into Hogwarts?

What about Albus Dumbledore, the "best" headmaster Hogwarts has ever seen? He knows about the secret tunnel; he was the one who ordered it built for Lupin's werewolf use! Furthermore, he knows Sirius Black knows about it because he knows all about the attempted prank on Severus Snape. He just recently referred to it in a conversation with young boy wizard Harry Potter, and besides which, Severus Snape has been all over him about Lupin and Black and how much he hates them and doesn't trust them, so all of this is obviously on Dumbledore's (admittedly feeble) mind. But, of course, this is Albus Dumbledore, who knows and sees everything everywhere and all the time, so he obviously knows what's going to happen so he leaves the passage unguarded.

But wait... even ****ing Madame Pomfrey knows about it! She's the one who used to take Lupin to the secret tunnel when it was that time of the month! She's a physician! She swore an oath! WHAT'S HER EXCUSE FOR NOT PROTECTING HARRY POTTER?

nighttrain12
7/15/2011, 10:47 PM
Unless Emma Watson gets naked in this one, I don't need to see it.

soonerboomer93
7/15/2011, 10:59 PM
She's already shown the vajayjay. GIS it

Peach Fuzz
7/15/2011, 11:37 PM
She's already shown the vajayjay. GIS it

Well I'll be...

Ctina
7/16/2011, 05:26 AM
Thaum, you do raise an interesting point. After looking over the end of the book, I can only figure that either J.K. Rowling did not see this loose end, or Dumbledore did not know that Sirius knew about the entrance. He did not know they were animagi until the end of the book. Snape went down the tunnel and saw Lupin, but we do not know what story he told Dumbledore of how he found the entrance. Lupin was well aware that Sirius knew, but he was kind of a weenie, at least at that point. I think didn't want to admit to Dumbledore that they betrayed his trust, but now that you make me think of it, he is betraying both Dumbledore's and Harry's trust by not being more forthcoming about it all.

I think that since the dementors were posted in Hogsmeade, Dumbldore, Pomfrey, and company probably trusted the dementors to stop Sirius from gaining entrance. Lupin may have thought this at first also, but after Sirius was able to get into the castle twice (when he attacked the Fat Lady and again when he used Neville's passwords to get past Sir Cadogan), Lupin should have stepped forward and come clean to Dumbledore. However, he didn't and it isn't addressed from what I can remember.

One more thing...

What about Albus Dumbledore, the "best" headmaster Hogwarts has ever seen? ... all of this is obviously on Dumbledore's (admittedly feeble) mind.

NEVER INSULT ALBUS DUMBLEDORE IN FRONT OF ME AGAIN!!!

jk the sooner fan
7/16/2011, 06:39 AM
i'm unable to finish thaum's post and thread - a sure sign that i'd do the same with the book

C&CDean
7/16/2011, 07:51 AM
i'm unable to finish thaum's post and thread - a sure sign that i'd do the same with the book

ok. we get it. it ain't your genre and by god you ain't gonna try something different. men's warehouse? check. bueno? check. i'm a boring guy who spends his life in a rut? check.

jk the sooner fan
7/16/2011, 08:31 AM
i'm boring to you - which is fine by me

JLEW1818
7/16/2011, 08:54 AM
if you have not read the books, than you cannot truly understand the movies. Especially the later books. You can get the general idea.

If the books are a 10, the movies are a 5. No Joke

GottaHavePride
7/16/2011, 09:45 AM
Went to the midnight IMAX in Wichita. Crowd was actually low on costumes, though there WAS an incredible Voldemort / Bellatrix / Death Eater trio there.

One nerd had on a "Platform 9 3/4? I have something with those exact measurements" t-shirt on. He was there with another dude that had a t-shirt saying "I've been whomping my willow all day".

Three nerds dressed as Harry, Ron, and HErmione (although they looked more like Neville, Seamus, and Luna) challenged Voldemort and crew to a wizard duel in the theater.

Oh, and then Platform 9 3/4 dude got up and proposed to his girlfriend.

And then, as the theater is playing Also sprach Zarathustra (the 2001: A Space Odyssey tune) Voldemort and crew jump up with their wands to raise the curtain. Pretty hilarious.

Side note: seriously, the chick dressed as Bellatrix nailed it. Hair, dress, everything. She could have been a stunt double in the movie.

Dwight
7/16/2011, 04:05 PM
I waited in line 14 hours to see it, and it was awesome.

A Sooner in Texas
7/16/2011, 05:41 PM
I've not read the books but have seen all the movies, and I understand the story just fine.
Just got back from seeing the last movie - it was outstanding.

C&CDean
7/16/2011, 06:05 PM
i'm boring to you - which is fine by me

good. your loss. while you're stubbornly being boring and missing out on so much life has to offer, i am laughing at thee. and by laughing i mean weeping. in my pants.

AlboSooner
7/16/2011, 06:51 PM
It must be cynic in me, but I didn't like it that much. Maybe it had something to do with the constant noise of heaving breathing, noise of popcorn smacking, and the movie-long ramble of hands digging in the popcorn paper bag, coming from the obese moviegoers seated behind me.

You don't have to buy the extra large size, chubs, just because it's 50 cents cheaper when you add a large drink to it.

C&CDean
7/16/2011, 07:04 PM
It must be cynic in me, but I didn't like it that much. Maybe it had something to do with the constant noise of heaving breathing, noise of popcorn smacking, and the movie-long ramble of hands digging in the popcorn paper bag, coming from the obese moviegoers seated behind me.

You don't have to buy the extra large size, chubs, just because it's 50 cents cheaper when you add a large drink to it.

Dude, just wait a week or two. Go with the normal folks (although many will be supersized) but at least you can move around if somebody is annoying you.

On second thought, you didn't even go. You're making **** up.

AlboSooner
7/16/2011, 07:09 PM
Dude, just wait a week or two. Go with the normal folks (although many will be supersized) but at least you can move around if somebody is annoying you.

On second thought, you didn't even go. You're making **** up.

Your first part is good advice. I usually wait, but then again I had to wait a couple of hours for the tire shop to put two new tires on. If they're going to match people up, then Hermione fits better with Potter.

I have not read the books, and watch the movies because I like the "epic" genre.

C&CDean
7/16/2011, 07:15 PM
Your first part is good advice. I usually wait, but then again I had to wait a couple of hours for the tire shop to put two new tires on. If they're going to match people up, then Hermione fits better with Potter.

I have not read the books, and watch the movies because I like the "epic" genre.

The only advice I can offer is to read the books. 1-7 in that order. It's light reading, very entertaining, and it will give you a ton of insight into the movies - maybe even to the point that you're not annoyed by Mobey Dick behind you and his hogzilla bride. If you haven't read them, I don't know how you could even think the movies are "epic" other than that's what some talking head says. If you've read them, the movies are just another way to relive the fun.

Ctina
7/17/2011, 07:51 AM
good. your loss. while you're stubbornly being boring and missing out on so much life has to offer, i am laughing at thee. and by laughing i mean weeping. in my pants.

Gross. Go take a shower, you're covered in pee.

Re: Hermione and Harry. The heart wants what the heart wants. I like Hermione and Ron because they are opposite. He's funny, she's too serious. They balance each other. The scene in part one where Harry and Hermione are dancing kind of freaks me out since it looks like he is pulling her to bed or something at first. I haven't considered the possibility of those two dating since the 3rd book.

I highly recommend reading the series, they are so much better than the movies! The movies are fine on their own, but I do always have to clarify things for hubby who will watch the movies, but hasn't been able to make himself read the books. (However, he just got a Kindle and has gone through several books that way, he just doesn't seem to like paper much. I'll probably get him the ebooks at some point now that they are on the way so he will finally read them.)

Thaumaturge
7/17/2011, 09:27 AM
If they're going to match people up, then Hermione fits better with Potter.

I think it just seems that way in the movies because both of them are terrible actors.

C&CDean
7/17/2011, 09:32 AM
I think it just seems that way in the movies because both of them are terrible actors.

Radcliffe maybe. Watson, not so much. She can act - even from the first movie. Crack. You're on it.

Thaumaturge
7/17/2011, 09:39 AM
Radcliffe maybe. Watson, not so much. She can act - even from the first movie. Crack. You're on it.

I guess. Overacting is a kind of acting.

C&CDean
7/17/2011, 09:40 AM
She played her part. Very well. WTF do you want?

Thaumaturge
7/17/2011, 09:47 AM
She played her part. Very well. WTF do you want?

Subtlety. Believability.

This is Harry freaking Potter, not a children's cartoon.

Caboose
7/17/2011, 09:55 AM

Reminds me of the morbidly obese OSU family that I was in line behind at the concession a few weeks ago. I was trying to get a bottle of water and M&M's for my daughter and I to share and got stuck behind these turds in line. They were all wearing OSU stuff proudly, all disturbingly obese... dad, mom, and their tubby little orange crotch fruit. Of course they each got a large popcorn, large soda, and big box of candy. It wasn't annoying because I care about their health, but that they had to order the items that takes the longest to make by the dip**** clerk... times 4.

Speaking of, but has anyone else noticed that OSU fans in general tend to be much uglier/fatter than the general population? I know OU (and all schools) has a segment of unsavory faithful... but I just cant help to notice how generally repulsive a high percentage of OSU fans seem to be.

Chuck Bao
7/17/2011, 12:01 PM
Re: Hermione and Harry. The heart wants what the heart wants. I like Hermione and Ron because they are opposite. He's funny, she's too serious. They balance each other. The scene in part one where Harry and Hermione are dancing kind of freaks me out since it looks like he is pulling her to bed or something at first. I haven't considered the possibility of those two dating since the 3rd book.

I completely agree. There was a lot of foreshadowing in the earlier books about what was meant to be. Besides, there was no way that Rowling would allow Ron to be minimized at the end by being the third wheel. The strong friendship of the three got them through all the hardships and challenges. Their friendship just could not be cheapened in essentially a brief flash forward at the end of the last book. The fact that Ron and Hermione spent most of their time arguing and snipping at each other just made the romance and eventual marriage and kids more magical.

I also agree that the series of books are one of the great literally works over the last 50 years. There is magic there if you delve into it.

silverwheels
7/17/2011, 11:24 PM
At some point after the pensieve scene, everyone in the theater is sniffling and crying and whatnot...and for some reason I started laughing. Does that make me a psychopath? I found that to be much funnier than the forced attempts at humor that Yates has had a bad habit of sticking in his movies. Deathly Hallows is supposed to be dark, not with Ron making goofy faces every 10 seconds or running after Goyle yelling about his "girlfriend."

Could have been better. I still think Cuaron or Gilliam should have directed the whole series.

yankee
7/18/2011, 12:39 AM
I read books 1-5 some years back...lost a few of them...I've watched a couple of the movies but I thought they sucked because the books were so awesome. I'm now going to try reading 1-7, finishing it all. Bought 1 and 2 yesterday and I finished 1 and am about done with 2. :pop:

Gonna give movie numero 8 (it is 8, right?) a try next week with the lady friend.

StoopTroup
7/18/2011, 12:43 AM
I saw one of the Lord of the rings Movies the other day on Showtime I think it was. I went to the channel and Sam and Frodo crawled out from behind a couple of bushes. I laughed and switch channels.

saucysoonergal
7/18/2011, 09:06 AM
I saw one of the Lord of the rings Movies the other day on Showtime I think it was. I went to the channel and Sam and Frodo crawled out from behind a couple of bushes. I laughed and switch channels.

Understandable, those movies are horrible, unlike HP.

Ctina
7/19/2011, 10:20 AM
I though the movies were just adequate, but I re-watched a couple of them and they weren't as bad as I thought. I didn't, and wouldn't, skip any of them, but all they ever really did was make me want to read the books again. Anywho, the acting in them was fairly questionable. Emma Watson really bugs me at times. Her over emphasizing and enunciating everything wears on me. However, all 3 actors have improved as the series went on and "Hermione" was dramatically improved these last two.

salth2o
7/19/2011, 10:35 AM
I watched pt. 1 this weekend and enjoyed it. I doubt I will ever get around to reading the books, but I am looking forward to the rest of the movies in the series.

yankee
8/3/2011, 12:45 PM
I just finished reading books 1-7, in order, for the first time. I couldn't put down the 7th one, I was up till 3 this morning reading it despite having to be at work at 8:30 AM. I seriously have not read a better fictional book/series in all my life...I'm hesitant to watch the movies as I never liked them because they didn't catch 1/10th of the magic that's in the books. However, I think I may start watching from the Order of the Phoenix since that's really when the series starts darkening and the twists and turns become even more awesome. I really appreciated the epilogue at the end to give the series some sort of closure as I had feared that we would be left hanging. And I cannot get over how compelling the Snape story is...

AHHHHH!!! CANNOT STOP THINKING ABOUT THE BOOKSSSSS

tbl
8/3/2011, 04:05 PM
As an old school LOTR nerd (I'm such a hardcore I hated the movies), I didn't think Tolkien could be topped.

I think JKR may have topped JRR... maybe... I just know that when I did finally go to the library and get the first book, I literally plowed through all of them, and I had already seen the movies up to HBP. The books are just freaking awesome.

and the final movie was one of the best cinematic experiences I've ever had. So good...

Breadburner
8/3/2011, 04:16 PM
I'm going to buy the books......

C&CDean
8/3/2011, 05:55 PM
Momma and I listened to Chamber of Secrets today driving from Memphis to Macon. Just as good as the first time...

OUTrumpet
8/3/2011, 06:16 PM
At some point after the pensieve scene, everyone in the theater is sniffling and crying and whatnot...and for some reason I started laughing. Does that make me a psychopath? I found that to be much funnier than the forced attempts at humor that Yates has had a bad habit of sticking in his movies. Deathly Hallows is supposed to be dark, not with Ron making goofy faces every 10 seconds or running after Goyle yelling about his "girlfriend."

Could have been better. I still think Cuaron or Gilliam should have directed the whole series.

I started laughing too. But I was laughing because some guy had fallen asleep and loudly snored. I didn't even know people could snore that loud...

Thaumaturge
8/3/2011, 11:17 PM
Finished the last book tonight... WOW.

The development of Dumbledore's character was simply mind-blowing. While before, he fit the archetype of the Omniscient Pederast to a T and was really quite offensive, the final book reinterprets his unrequited sexual desire for Harry to a much deeper level (EVEN FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE). I'm not talking about the obvious stuff on the surface. That's there for everyone to see. But digging deeper, look at all the subtext behind the various shenanigans with the wands that prove so important to the superficial plot. Peel back the layers of this rich, rich book! If you really pay attention to whose wand (phallus) works for whom and which wand breaks from what and on and on, you find a potent story about the difficulties faced by LGBT teens both in finding and coping with their identities and in confronting societal bigotries against them. JK Rowling has achieved something quite brilliant here in weaving such profound threads throughout what would otherwise be a fairly dry, plodding series of children's books. Kudos!

Thaumaturge
8/3/2011, 11:26 PM
Also, what was the deal with Aberforth's goat-****ing? It doesn't fit, but the book is quite adamant that he's a goat-****er.

StoopTroup
8/4/2011, 01:05 AM
My kid loves them and I can see why after reading them. My Generation never had a 7 book 7 movie series like that unless you enjoyed Charlie Brown and liked to read the paper everyday waiting for Lucy to pull the football our from CB or give Advice, get kissed by Snoopy or steal Linus' Blanket from him. Maybe C-Tease Schnieder or rile up Peppermint Patty or make a nasty comment about Pigpen.

C&CDean
8/4/2011, 08:04 AM

The development of Dumbledore's character was simply mind-blowing. While before, he fit the archetype of the Omniscient Pederast to a T and was really quite offensive, the final book reinterprets his unrequited sexual desire for Harry to a much deeper level (EVEN FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE). I'm not talking about the obvious stuff on the surface. That's there for everyone to see. But digging deeper, look at all the subtext behind the various shenanigans with the wands that prove so important to the superficial plot. Peel back the layers of this rich, rich book! If you really pay attention to whose wand (phallus) works for whom and which wand breaks from what and on and on, you find a potent story about the difficulties faced by LGBT teens both in finding and coping with their identities and in confronting societal bigotries against them. JK Rowling has achieved something quite brilliant here in weaving such profound threads throughout what would otherwise be a fairly dry, plodding series of children's books. Kudos!

Not sure if serious...

saucysoonergal
8/4/2011, 09:03 AM

Yeah, I never got that from her writings. I did however get her deep depression though.

Chuck Bao
8/4/2011, 11:39 AM

I am going to entertain the thought that you are serious for a few moments.

First, British literature is literally littered with references of mentor-student relationships. It helps to understand that JK Rowling drew heavily on the more traditional boarding school culture of the rich and even the culture of the most respected universities in Britain – Oxford and Cambridge.

Take, for instance, that Oxford University is divided into 6 permanent private halls, each controlling its membership and with its own internal structure and activities. They were all founded by different Christian denominations – Blackfriars (founded 1221, re-founded 1921) Catholic (Dominican), Campion Hall (1918) Catholic (Jesuit), Regent’s Park (1927) Baptist Union of Great Britain, St Benet’s Hall (1897) Catholic (Benedictine), St Stephen’s House (1876) Church of England (Anglo-Catholic) and Wycliffe Hall (1877) Church of England. With that in mind, it’s easy to understand why JK Rowling introduced the sorting hat for first years into the houses based on personality traits.

Secondly, bear in mind that mudbloods could also be a JK Rowling reference to women or other minorities being accepted into the colleges and eventually into the old boy’s club in London. Prof. Dumbledore had always protected their right to get into that magical club and some houses (like Oxford’s private halls, historically) would be more or less accepting to their own mudbloods at the time.

Thirdly, Prof. Dumbledore did have an infatuation with Harry. He took the extraordinary steps in several earlier books to be distant as he considers that he would be dangerous to Harry. When he took Harry to recruit Prof. Slughorn back to Hogwarts, he said that Prof. Slughorn highly values collecting powerful and famous students. Prof. Dumbledore could have been describing himself as the very same. There is a whole tonne of references here.

Prof. Dumbledore wasn’t a role model to anyone and that was clearly laid plain in the character development in later books. He was secretive and vain and a big show off and did a lot of really bad things earlier in his life. But, Prof. Dumbledore did teach Harry more than a few lessons about character without magic and I think that completely redeems his own character.

Thaumaturge, I have a question for you. If there was no physical homo relationship, was there ever a homo relationship? But, whatever dude. I am going to have to research more about wand = phallus idea in regard to some ancient text, off hand I don’t remember it being mentioned in some of the earlier scriptures or magi text or alchemists notes.

yankee
8/4/2011, 11:43 AM
Momma and I listened to Chamber of Secrets today driving from Memphis to Macon. Just as good as the first time...

Funny, it was listening to an audio CD of the 5th one that got me back into HP. They really are pretty darn awesome.

Thaumaturge
8/4/2011, 11:57 AM
I am going to entertain the thought that you are serious for a few moments.

First, British literature is literally littered with references of mentor-student relationships. It helps to understand that JK Rowling drew heavily on the more traditional boarding school culture of the rich and even the culture of the most respected universities in Britain – Oxford and Cambridge.

Take, for instance, that Oxford University is divided into 6 permanent private halls, each controlling its membership and with its own internal structure and activities. They were all founded by different Christian denominations – Blackfriars (founded 1221, re-founded 1921) Catholic (Dominican), Campion Hall (1918) Catholic (Jesuit), Regent’s Park (1927) Baptist Union of Great Britain, St Benet’s Hall (1897) Catholic (Benedictine), St Stephen’s House (1876) Church of England (Anglo-Catholic) and Wycliffe Hall (1877) Church of England. With that in mind, it’s easy to understand why JK Rowling introduced the sorting hat for first years into the houses based on personality traits.

Secondly, bear in mind that mudbloods could also be a JK Rowling reference to women or other minorities being accepted into the colleges and eventually into the old boy’s club in London. Prof. Dumbledore had always protected their right to get into that magical club and some houses (like Oxford’s private halls, historically) would be more or less accepting to their own mudbloods at the time.

Thirdly, Prof. Dumbledore did have an infatuation with Harry. He took the extraordinary steps in several earlier books to be distant as he considers that he would be dangerous to Harry. When he took Harry to recruit Prof. Slughorn back to Hogwarts, he said that Prof. Slughorn highly values collecting powerful and famous students. Prof. Dumbledore could have been describing himself as the very same. There is a whole tonne of references here.

Prof. Dumbledore wasn’t a role model to anyone and that was clearly laid plain in the character development in later books. He was secretive and vain and a big show off and did a lot of really bad things earlier in his life. But, Prof. Dumbledore did teach Harry more than a few lessons about character without magic and I think that completely redeems his own character.

Thaumaturge, I have a question for you. If there was no physical homo relationship, was there ever a homo relationship? But, whatever dude. I am going to have to research more about wand = phallus idea in regard to some ancient text, off hand I don’t remember it being mentioned in some of the earlier scriptures or magi text or alchemists notes.

This is all great stuff, but we're talking about the wandlore and all of its clear subtext.

(Although... the unrelated stuff about Aberforth's goat-****ing is about as far from subtext as it can get.)

tbl
8/5/2011, 11:28 AM
This is all great stuff, but we're talking about the wandlore and all of its clear subtext.

(Although... the unrelated stuff about Aberforth's goat-****ing is about as far from subtext as it can get.)

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/picard-facepalm.jpg