PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Tech on Probation

SoonerofAlabama
7/14/2011, 02:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6769894/ncaa-places-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-four-years-probation?campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

NCAA places Georgia Tech on Probation

The NCAA's Committee on Infractions has placed Georgia Tech on four years' probation, vacated its 2009 ACC football championship game victory and placed limits on men's basketball scholarships after citing the school with rules violations, including failure to cooperate with its investigation.

"According to the committee, the university's failure to cooperate and meet the obligations of membership compounded the seriousness of the case by adding onto what was originally an isolated instance of impermissible benefits and preferential treatment," the NCAA said in a prepared statement.

The probation runs from Thursday through July 13, 2015.

A source told ESPN's Joe Schad that as part of the case, the NCAA investigated the relationship between former Georgia Tech quarterback Calvin Booker, who is alleged to have worked for a sports agent, and wide receiver receiver Demaryius Thomas, now of the Denver Broncos.

Georgia Tech was expected to respond to the decision at a news conference on Thursday afternoon.

The NCAA said Georgia Tech "failed to cooperate and protect the integrity of the investigation" when staff members alerted a member of the football team of the scope of his upcoming interview, despite instructions from NCAA enforcement officials not to do so.

In another case, a football player who accepted $312 worth of clothing from a sports agency employee was allowed to play in the final three games of the 2009 season, including the ACC championship game and a BCS bowl game, the NCAA said. The ACC victory gave Georgia Tech its first BCS bowl berth (the school was ordered to vacate all wins after Nov. 24, 2009, but of the three games affected, its win over Clemson was the only victory).

Thomas was the player alleged to have accepted the clothing, a source told Schad.

"It appeared to the committee that the institution attempted to manipulate the information surrounding potential violations involving (the student-athlete) so there would be enough doubt about its validity to justify the decision not to declare him ineligible," the Committee on Infractions said, according to the NCAA.

The penalties include the school being limited to 10 official recruiting visits in men's basketball for 2011-12 and 2012-13, and a fine of $100,000.

The sanctions also included a previously self-imposed penalty, in which Georgia Tech cut two days from its 2011 summer recruiting calendar for men's basketball.

The NCAA Committee on Infractions has hit Georgia Tech with penalties connected to its football and men's basketball program after citing the school with failure to cooperate with its investigation and other violations. The penalties include:

• Four years' probation (July 14, 2011 through July 13, 2015).
• Reduction in official men's basketball recruiting visits for 2011-12 and 2012-13.
• $100,000 fine.
• Vacating 2009 ACC championship game victory.
• Reduction in recruiting days for 2011 summer evaluation period. *
• Public reprimand and censure.
* - Self-imposed penalty

Flagstaffsooner
7/14/2011, 02:43 PM
With everyone else catching crap this flew under the RADAR.

SoonerofAlabama
7/14/2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I had no idea. And four years probation too! Thought I would've heard of this.

budbarrybob
7/14/2011, 02:57 PM
Wow. It's been a busy off season for the Rules Infraction Committee...

SoonerDood
7/14/2011, 03:03 PM
The NCAA must be really mad at Ohio State!

Flagstaffsooner
7/14/2011, 03:10 PM
The NCAA must be really mad at Ohio State!:D Lets beat a stepchild!:D

Scott D
7/14/2011, 04:03 PM
Apparently the linchpin in that investigation was there was evidence that Georgia Tech coached up Thomas in regards to what to say to the NCAA Investigation people.

I'm looking at you Gumby... ;)

Ruf/Nek7
7/14/2011, 08:27 PM
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. That is too steep of a penalty if you ask me. If this is what Georgia Tech got then I anxiously await their sanctions for ohio state.

silverwheels
7/14/2011, 08:33 PM
Maybe they should have given the kid's dad $200K and said it was for church renovations.

UAB Sooner
7/14/2011, 10:27 PM
There goes their '09 ACC title

soonerloyal
7/14/2011, 11:45 PM
The Newtons are laughing their a**es off.

silverwheels
7/15/2011, 02:59 PM
Former Tech Player To NCAA: Pry Ring From My "Cold, Dead Finger" (http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/tech-player-to-ncaa-1018244.html)

Here's his letter:

Dear NCAA,

Thank you for handing down penalties that only adversely affect the players who did things the right way. This reeks of an organization desperate to prove that it has some sort of control over its member institutions despite lacking the ability and firepower to police the serious offenders and protect the student-athletes whose interests you purport to have at heart.

While I realize that all violations merit some kind of punishment, I have a hard time grasping the notion that one of the proudest moments in my life (and the lives of every other individual that was a part of the team and program in 2009) is apparently worth $312 in your eyes. If that truly is the case, I'd be happy to provide you with that same amount of money (cash or check, your choice) in exchange for the reinstatement of the title my teammates and I earned through our blood, sweat and tears.

It took months of hard work, dedication and personal sacrifice by a team of over 100 players, 10 coaches and countless staff members to achieve that championship, but, evidently, it only takes the handful of pencil pushers, lawyers and professors on your infractions committee to strip us of it.

I was a part of the 2009 ACC Championship team and, while you can pretend retroactively that it didn't happen, I have vivid memories of an incredible season that was, and continues to be, one of the most fun, meaningful, important, and very real times in my 23 years on this planet. I'll be wearing my championship ring with pride and if you want that too, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead finger.

Sincerely,

Sean Bedford

Fantastic. **** the NCAA.

Lawton4Life
7/15/2011, 03:33 PM
10-15 Fans in Atlanta are devistated right now...the rest probably dont even know.

badger
7/15/2011, 04:02 PM
Georgia Tech used to be a member of the SEC until it left in 1964.

Stephon Marbury, in declaring his intent to be a student-athlete at GT, said "I plan on attending the University of Georgia Tech."

Georgia, which is in the same state as GT, gave this final exam (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1750300) in an "everyone get an A" basketball class.

:mad: HOW DID THE NCAA NOT KNOW?! :mad:

;)