PDA

View Full Version : FBI Investigating Rupert Murdoch

The Profit
7/14/2011, 02:30 PM
If this is true, I hope they give him a 'fair and balanced" trial and throw his old azz in federal prison. His empire seems to be crumbling around him. Couldn't happen to a more deserving chap.

NEW YORK -- A law enforcement official says the FBI has opened an investigation into allegations that media mogul Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. sought to hack into the phones of Sept. 11 victims.

The official spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly.

New York City-based News Corp. has been in crisis mode.

A rival newspaper reported last week that the company's News of the World had hacked into the phone of U.K. teenage murder victim Milly Dowler in 2002 and may have impeded a police investigation into the 13-year-old's disappearance.

More possible victims soon emerged: other child murder victims, 2005 London bombing victims, the families of dead soldiers and former Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

The FBI's New York office hasn't commented. There's been no response from News Corp. or to a message left with the U.S. attorney's office in Manhattan.

tommieharris91
7/14/2011, 02:52 PM
Meanwhile, Glenn Beck's replacements are trying to deny that the US was ever attacked between 2000 and 2008.

Chuck Bao
7/14/2011, 04:28 PM
If Murdoch's British media interests were doing it, it isn't a stretch to believe that his US-based News Corp was also.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156181

Despite reading all of the articles, I am still unclear what hacking into a victim's cell phone actually means. Can someone explain it to me in easy to understand terms?

Obviously, they didn't start the hacking of a victim until after the victim was already a victim and probably dead. So, they are hacking into the cell phone service provider's system and getting call history? Is that it? Okay, that is bad enough because when I am died, dead, whatever, I don't want anyone figuring out that I died from a heart attack and my last 10 calls were to a pizza delivery service.

Or, is it a little more sinister than that? Is someone somewhere recording all of our cell phone conversations and some private news organization has hacked in to find out that I like to order double cheese on my pizza pies.

Even worse than that is the fact that the British uncovered this scandal and our own FBI didn't even start investigating it until they had to. Ummm. That's not a good sign.

Besides, I hate copying from the British. They suck. And, their TV shows over the last 30 years suck. They just live off past glories and a long gone empire and royal weddings, divorces, royals gone wrong, not to mention a national soccer side that has not won a major championship in like a really, really long time.

Viking Kitten
7/14/2011, 04:56 PM
What what WHAT???

What about "The Green Wing"? What about "The Mighty Boosh"? "League of Gentlemen"? "Father Ted"? The original "Office" with Ricky Gervais?

You simply cannot say British TV sucks. You just can't.

yermom
7/14/2011, 05:29 PM
the Mighty Boosh? hmmm

IT Crowd and The Office on the other hand... i did like our version better though

picasso
7/14/2011, 05:43 PM
If this is true, I hope they give him a 'fair and balanced" trial and throw his old azz in federal prison. His empire seems to be crumbling around him. Couldn't happen to a more deserving chap.

NEW YORK -- A law enforcement official says the FBI has opened an investigation into allegations that media mogul Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. sought to hack into the phones of Sept. 11 victims.

The official spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly.

New York City-based News Corp. has been in crisis mode.

A rival newspaper reported last week that the company's News of the World had hacked into the phone of U.K. teenage murder victim Milly Dowler in 2002 and may have impeded a police investigation into the 13-year-old's disappearance.

More possible victims soon emerged: other child murder victims, 2005 London bombing victims, the families of dead soldiers and former Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

The FBI's New York office hasn't commented. There's been no response from News Corp. or to a message left with the U.S. attorney's office in Manhattan.

You hope.

The Profit
7/14/2011, 08:03 PM
You hope.

I really do. How about you?

49r
7/15/2011, 10:19 AM
damn!

soonerboomer93
7/15/2011, 10:45 AM
If Murdoch's British media interests were doing it, it isn't a stretch to believe that his US-based News Corp was also.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156181

Despite reading all of the articles, I am still unclear what hacking into a victim's cell phone actually means. Can someone explain it to me in easy to understand terms?

Obviously, they didn't start the hacking of a victim until after the victim was already a victim and probably dead. So, they are hacking into the cell phone service provider's system and getting call history? Is that it? Okay, that is bad enough because when I am died, dead, whatever, I don't want anyone figuring out that I died from a heart attack and my last 10 calls were to a pizza delivery service.

Or, is it a little more sinister than that? Is someone somewhere recording all of our cell phone conversations and some private news organization has hacked in to find out that I like to order double cheese on my pizza pies.

Even worse than that is the fact that the British uncovered this scandal and our own FBI didn't even start investigating it until they had to. Ummm. That's not a good sign.

Besides, I hate copying from the British. They suck. And, their TV shows over the last 30 years suck. They just live off past glories and a long gone empire and royal weddings, divorces, royals gone wrong, not to mention a national soccer side that has not won a major championship in like a really, really long time.

Not the call history, they're hacking in and accessing the voice mail, and in one case apparently deleted voicemails from a phone.

GKeeper316
7/15/2011, 11:14 AM
the thought of rupert murdoch getting raped in a big bad american prison makes me smile.

GrapevineSooner
7/15/2011, 12:04 PM
You know, I think MSNBC swings just as far to the left as Fox News swings to the right.

And on a side note, I've always been amused by the fact the people who bash Fox News the loudest are huge Keith Olbermann, Ed Schultz, or Rachel Maddow fans. But whatever.

I'd never wish this kind of thing on Phil Griffin just because of the way he runs his news network.

Blue
7/15/2011, 12:08 PM
Witch hunt.

Obvious smear campaign is obvious.

3rdgensooner
7/15/2011, 12:12 PM
What what WHAT???

What about "The Green Wing"? What about "The Mighty Boosh"? "League of Gentlemen"? "Father Ted"? The original "Office" with Ricky Gervais?

Luther

badger
7/15/2011, 01:01 PM

Hope they're not saying the same thing about American in 20 years (except sub in "soccer" for "basketball")

What's the lesson learned in the past five years:

NObody is too big to fail.

badger
7/15/2011, 01:02 PM

Hope they're not saying the same thing about American in 20 years (except sub in "soccer" for "basketball")

Just for fun:
9O3ceqa2lIo

Chuck Bao
7/15/2011, 01:09 PM
Not the call history, they're hacking in and accessing the voice mail, and in one case apparently deleted voicemails from a phone.

Thanks for explaining it, soonerboomer93. Do you guys leave a lot of voicemail? If you receive it, would you keep it for very long?

If someone were missing or in a dangerous situation, I suppose that family and friends would leave voicemail in the hope of getting a reply.

What a terrible invasion of privacy at a very desperate time! That is so sickening. :mad:

lexsooner
7/15/2011, 01:16 PM

Like I have said in a past post, The British = bad food, bad weather, bad teeth, bad sports, bad government, bad work ethic, bad journalism, bad breath, bad bodies. Bloody dreary outlook, really.

Chuck Bao
7/15/2011, 01:33 PM
What what WHAT???

I can and I did. I don't watch any of those shows. My cable TV used to carry the BBC entertainment channel. I tried to watch them, remembering how imaginative and edgy BBC TV programs were in the 70s and 80s, but the newer shows are not anywhere near as creative. I found them banal and slow or ridiculous. Nobody watched them, so the cable TV operator dropped BBC in favor of the Sony-owned ANX channels, which heavily relies on US programming material.

jkjsooner
7/15/2011, 01:38 PM

Not only that but the fact tht the voicemails had been deleted gave the parents false hope their child was still alive.

badger
7/15/2011, 01:41 PM
Like I have said in a past post, The British = bad food, bad weather, bad teeth, bad sports, bad government, bad work ethic, bad journalism, bad breath, bad bodies. Bloody dreary outlook, really.

I'd like to add one: bad sales taxes.

The "Value Added Tax," or "VAT" was absolute hell over there, in addition to the... bad exchange rate. 20 percent. Can you imagine a 20 percent sales tax on everything here?!

As it turns out a lot of Europe charges insane sales tax. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax#EU_countries) No wonder most monarchs got overthrown.

lexsooner
7/15/2011, 01:50 PM
I can and I did. I don't watch any of those shows. My cable TV used to carry the BBC entertainment channel. I tried to watch them, remembering how imaginative and edgy BBC TV programs were in the 70s and 80s, but the newer shows are not anywhere near as creative. I found them banal and slow or ridiculous. Nobody watched them, so the cable TV operator dropped BBC in favor of the Sony-owned ANX channels, which heavily relies on US programming material.

I thought Ab Fab was funny.

GKeeper316
7/15/2011, 01:52 PM

patsy is one of my all time favorite tv characters.

Viking Kitten
7/15/2011, 01:59 PM
RE: The Mighty Boosh, this has been posted on the South Oval before, but Old Gregg is always worth a re-watch.

"I'VE GOT A MANGINA!!! I'M OLD GREGGGGG!!!" (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5rg8i_i-m-old-gregg_fun)

Chuck Bao
7/15/2011, 02:10 PM

Just for fun:
9O3ceqa2lIo

I am afraid that you are right about that, badger. The US may be losing some of its economic influence, but the US entertainment industry is proving more and more popular around the world.

Speaking of Fox, Fox Entertainment claims to be the most popular cable TV channel throughout much of Asia. They take their most popular US programs and dub them into at least 5-6 Asian languages. I guess that the low-brow humor is much easier to translate.

Fox News in Asian would not be a sell-able product and it would probably **** off so many people that it would endanger the popularity of the emerging cash cow on the entertainment side. I don't think that they would even try to be a global news organization because I assume Americans are just not very interested in much of what happens overseas except for the big disasters. Even CNN and CNBC-MSNBC have lost a lot of popularity as being too pro-American and American-centric.

Fox Sports programming would be purchased by some independent cable TV channels, like Asian Sports Network.

Going back to your original question, Badger, if the US influence is usurped, it will probably be by Asia. Nobody should ever question the business acumen of Rupert Murdoch and his Fox brand. I imagine future graduate students will be studying they got it right and right again.

Chuck Bao
7/15/2011, 02:50 PM
RE: The Mighty Boosh, this has been posted on the South Oval before, but Old Gregg is always worth a re-watch.

"I'VE GOT A MANGINA!!! I'M OLD GREGGGGG!!!" (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5rg8i_i-m-old-gregg_fun)

That, my dear, was just frightening on many levels. I don't know what the underlying subtext is here - unrequited love or clingy gays or insanity or drugs or a massive load of all of it?

True Blood is far better in that it doesn't beat you over the head and shoulders with pretty cringing and pitiful subtext. I thought that the British were supposed to be famous for their subtle yet biting humor. Some of their art seems to have been lost.

By the way, I hate Mr. Bean. The international popularity of that show probably is responsible for the deterioration of British comedy into slapstick or dull drama. But, I loved Rowan Atkinson in the Black Adder series.

One of my favorite all-time shows is still "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister". That was brilliant.

Chuck Bao
7/15/2011, 03:00 PM

Okay, I have to agree with that. The only problem is that the writers had no where to go with it. What was at first so brilliant with the OMG I know people like that eventually turned into recycled jokes and increasingly ridiculous skits.

yermom
7/15/2011, 03:02 PM

i award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Chuck Bao
7/15/2011, 03:03 PM
Not only that but the fact tht the voicemails had been deleted gave the parents false hope their child was still alive.

That is so horrible. I am at a loss for words.

Viking Kitten
7/15/2011, 04:17 PM
People who don't appreciate Old Gregg make the Baby Jesus cry.

soonerboomer93
7/15/2011, 04:32 PM
what the funk was that which you just linked?

yermom
7/15/2011, 05:01 PM
it got a little better once Bootsy Collins was involved

Viking Kitten
7/15/2011, 05:18 PM
Not to mention the funky ball of tits from outer space.

TitoMorelli
7/17/2011, 06:38 PM
Rebekah Brooks arrested by hacking police

Ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks has been arrested by police investigating phone hacking and bribery at the News of the World.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14178051

cccasooner2
7/17/2011, 06:52 PM
........The official spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly........

Very, very suspicious.

Sooner5030
7/17/2011, 07:37 PM
what law did Murdoch break again?

oh....he owned ~40% of a parent company which had a wholly-owned subsidiary that may have had management approve illegal hacking!

that's not a crime...unless he aided and abetted.

his Company's consolidated financial statements still receive an unqualified opinion so I am not sure what law he has broken.

Turd_Ferguson
7/17/2011, 08:45 PM
what law did Murdoch break again?
He hasn't, but this kinda **** gets the lib's vaginas all lubed up:D

Penguin
7/17/2011, 09:54 PM
He's probably under investigation for violating the 1977 Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (http://www.fcpaenforcement.com/explained/explained.asp). It pretty much makes it illegal for any American-owned company to bribe a foreign official. If somebody at Scotland Yard really was bribed, the FBI might get involved.

Sooner5030
7/17/2011, 09:58 PM
that only requires that management maintain reasonable and prudent internal controls to mitigate the possibility. Reasonable would be an independent compliance audit and internal legal review.

tommieharris91
7/17/2011, 10:34 PM
I'm guessing this will become about how Fox is the victim of a hacking attack...

mgsooner
7/17/2011, 10:41 PM
I've really been digging smoked Gouda lately. Tasty stuff.

StoopTroup
7/17/2011, 11:23 PM
Not to mention the funky ball of tits from outer space.

I enjoy an ice cold Bailey's every now and then...

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5yt0lFwrq1qchcrwo1_500.jpg

3rdgensooner
7/18/2011, 12:46 PM
News of the World phone-hacking whistleblower found dead (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-of-the-world-sean-hoare)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/7/18/1311007957364/Sean-Hoare-008.jpg
Former News of the World reporter Sean Hoare has been found dead.

Sean Hoare, the former News of the World (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/newsoftheworld) showbiz reporter who was the first named journalist to allege Andy Coulson was aware of phone hacking by his staff, has been found dead, the Guardian has learned.

Hoare, who worked on the Sun and the News of the World with Coulson before being dismissed for drink and drugs problems, is said to have been found dead at his Watford home.

Hertfordshire police would not confirm his identity, but the force said in a statement: "At 10.40am today [Monday 18 July] police were called to Langley Road, Watford, following the concerns for the welfare of a man who lives at an address on the street. Upon police and ambulance arrival at a property, the body of a man was found. The man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.

"The death is currently being treated as unexplained, but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing."

The
7/18/2011, 01:40 PM
News of the World phone-hacking whistleblower found dead (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-of-the-world-sean-hoare)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/7/18/1311007957364/Sean-Hoare-008.jpg
Former News of the World reporter Sean Hoare has been found dead.

Look, sometimes a man gets depressed and shoots himself in twice in the back of the head. There's no story here.

mgsooner
7/18/2011, 01:45 PM
This thing is blowing up, Watergate style.