PDA

View Full Version : Thursday poll: Gutsiest Stoops call?

badger
7/14/2011, 12:43 PM
A big shoutout to this site (http://www.blatanthomerism.com/2011-articles/june/best-of-week-bob-stoops-gutsiest-calls.html) for this poll's nominees.

I'm taking a poll off from the debbie downers of the past few :D

When did Stoops make the gutsiest call of his OU career?

Was it going for it on 4th down against Tulsa in 2005? (Coming off a 17-10 loss to TCU the week before at home)

T8t289FWsEg

Or Missouri 2002, when we faked a field goal down 24-23 on the road in the fourth quarter and scored a touchdown?

Start at 5:38:
ZazfoTHTsNU

Was it going for it on 4th down at College Station in 2006? (4th and inches, in Aggie territory, up 17-16, having just missed on 3rd and 1 the play before?)

Start at 8:32:
Xb2iSU1PtAc

Or faking the punt at Alabama in 2003?
xuePqhjmpNA

Or will you take one of the other nominees on that site's entry, or perhaps write in your own?

Four days of anonymous votin'. Vote for one and don't try to change your vote, because you still can't!

Widescreen
7/14/2011, 12:45 PM
The fake field goal at Mizzou in (I think) 2002 or 2003.

jk the sooner fan
Fake punt against Bama

SoCaliSooner
Booting Bomar.

jk the sooner fan
7/14/2011, 12:46 PM
The fake field goal at Mizzou in (I think) 2002 or 2003.

2002.....great call

goingoneight
7/14/2011, 12:48 PM
The Alabama fake punt without question. You just had to be watching that game to see where it was going before that call. Imagine that call and those results in 2007 just as we were set to punt versus Colorado. Bam-- We might be in the MNC vs a WAY overrated Ohio State team.

badger
7/14/2011, 12:49 PM
I still can't believe Stoops went for it on fourth down in College Station. I was scared crapless that the 12th man would do us in. Instead the 12th man won it for us (and ENA made first down yardage anyway)

pphilfran
7/14/2011, 12:51 PM
Bama or Mizzou....

I went with Mizzou...

The Bama call wasn't really as gutsy...Bama had been blowing their ends in in all the previous games...after the game, Stoops said they were "reckless with their ends"...it had a great chance of succeeding...

The Mizzou play was out of the blue...plus they caught the pass right in front of me....I was high up in the endzone at Bama...

Breadburner
7/14/2011, 01:10 PM
Are you talkin...Ones that have been executed and completed....

TheLadiesMike
7/14/2011, 02:38 PM
Sorry but it has to be A&M. If we don't get it then it is pretty much guaranteed we lose the game. The others still had time left in the game to decide things.

SoonerDood
7/14/2011, 02:43 PM
I voted for Mizzou. That came out of nowhere. Dicarlo was a good kicker and he'd been having a rough night- missed XP and a FG. It was a makeable FG, but nobody thought Stoops would call the fake.
But I gotta mention the 4th & 1 in the 2000 Big 12 Championship. Start of 4th quarter, tie game, ball in the Maroon Zone- Heupel makes an option pitch to Griffin who picks up 20 yards and first down. Next play, TD pass, Sooners head to Miami.

NormanPride
7/14/2011, 02:54 PM
2002 Mizzou... We could not stop Brad Smith that day, and we knew that with the time remaining a 2 point lead would not be enough. It wouldn't have.

jk the sooner fan
7/14/2011, 03:22 PM
Sorry but it has to be A&M. If we don't get it then it is pretty much guaranteed we lose the game. The others still had time left in the game to decide things.

there was only a minute + left, if we punt, they HAVE to drive the field to score - no guarantee there

my only beef with choosing this call - gutsy as it was - was Stoops second guessing himself and calling the timeout before the snap

SoonerofAlabama
7/14/2011, 03:28 PM
UA 2003. May have been a bit easier, but it was a great play. Wish we could be asking about Mizzou and Texas A&M fake field goals right now because those would have been some awesome plays.

SoonerPride
7/14/2011, 03:28 PM
Bama.
I was there.
I about crapped my pants.
Next play TD bomb. Boom. The Sooners totally sucked the life outta the stadium.

badger
7/14/2011, 03:46 PM
Are you talkin...Ones that have been executed and completed....

All questions are open ended. Answer however you feel it should be interpreted :)

In an effort to turn around my debbie downer ways of the past few polls, I only mentioned the good ones, but you are free to write-in an unsuccessful gutsy call.

JLEW1818
7/14/2011, 03:52 PM
I still can't believe Stoops went for it on fourth down in College Station. I was scared crapless that the 12th man would do us in. Instead the 12th man won it for us (and ENA made first down yardage anyway)

100% agree. i got in the aggie student section... they were not very happy.

jk the sooner fan
7/14/2011, 03:53 PM
going for it on 4th down against Tulsa should never be a "gutsy call"

The
7/14/2011, 03:54 PM
Leaving Florida and taking the OU job.

badger
7/14/2011, 04:06 PM
I am complaining because a video with one of AD's greatest Sooner runs was posted.

:mad: why do you hate

JLEW1818
7/14/2011, 04:07 PM
Leaving Florida and taking the OU job.

:eek:

post 5,000 coming... make it good

SoonerBacker
7/14/2011, 04:22 PM
Came down to Missouri and Bama for me, but had to go with Bama just because of the position on the field. If we don't complete that pass, Bama is DEEP in Sooner territory and only trailing by 3.

BoulderSooner79
7/14/2011, 06:03 PM
Choosing the financial institution to safeguard his wealth. It has to be too big to fail.

Since71ASooner4Life
7/14/2011, 06:25 PM
not as much at stake as some of the others mentioned, but 2006 Texas Tech going for it on 4th and short from about own 35 to ice the game with about 1 1/2 minutes left. We had made a comeback from a big first half deficit, and took the lead, but Tech seemed to be moving the ball again and like;y scores to win if we dont make the first down

LASooner
7/14/2011, 06:55 PM
Honestly it has to be UA 2003 because of the position on the field and the fact that Michael Thompson looked like Robin Williams in "The Best of Times" with all the juggling after the catch.

PLaw
7/14/2011, 07:22 PM
Sad that nothing in the last 4 yrs makes the poll. I took bama -

Boomer

SoonerMarkVA
7/14/2011, 07:53 PM
That fake punt against 'Bama was simply big, brass balls. And then following it up with that freakin' beautiful bomb for a TD? Best.

However, I think the 2nd best isn't even listed. Anyone remember that fake punt against KSU in 2001? Hunter Wall's shining moment as a Sooner. Unreal. (Skip to 5:00):

w-R1Jf9a9TM

SoonerofAlabama
7/14/2011, 07:59 PM
If it were just pure coolness, it would be that one. What a cool highlight.

AlbqSooner
7/14/2011, 08:10 PM
Had to go with Bama 03. I was at that game. It was an electric moment for each of 2 plays in a row.

olevetonahill
7/14/2011, 08:20 PM
Yup the 03 Bama fake was the coolest, Loved the fact that MT got in the play and made a great one .:cool:

BoulderSooner79
7/14/2011, 11:42 PM
Sad that nothing in the last 4 yrs makes the poll. I took bama -

Boomer

Well, the choices are only the ones that worked. The fake FG against aTm last season was executed perfectly right up to the moment Hanna dropped a sure TD. Maybe not real gutsy, since the FG was effectively out of range for Steven's, but the fact we went for the bomb instead of a shorter throw for a 1st down was pretty gutsy. I had no problem with the decision and was extremely impressed by the pass from Nimmo.

TheLadiesMike
7/15/2011, 12:27 AM
there was only a minute + left, if we punt, they HAVE to drive the field to score - no guarantee there

my only beef with choosing this call - gutsy as it was - was Stoops second guessing himself and calling the timeout before the snap

Exactly! Punting leaves them very little time to drive the field and they'd only managed 16 points all night. Going for it meant if we did not convert they are on the edge of field goal range and can run a few times to kill the clock and get the win.

If we punt at Bama it's no big deal, just another punt in a game we lead in the 3rd. If we don't pick it up then even if they score there is a lot of time left.

Salt City Sooner
7/15/2011, 12:33 AM
Mizzou '02 by a significant margin for me. We were already down a point when it happened, & if it doesn't work, it leaves Brad Smith (who we had NO frickin' clue on how to stop at the time, esp. running) 6 & change to go get the clinching score.

badger
7/15/2011, 08:22 AM
Mizzou '02 by a significant margin for me. We were already down a point when it happened, & if it doesn't work, it leaves Brad Smith (who we had NO frickin' clue on how to stop at the time, esp. running) 6 & change to go get the clinching score.

Gary Pinkie knew how to stop him :D

Gary: OK, Brad. Now you're going to be... a POCKET PASSER!

:rolleyes: Oh, what could have been...

soonerchk
7/15/2011, 10:04 AM
Bama. As if the play alone wasn't enough, Thompson being the key added a whole new emotional level for me.

jk the sooner fan
7/15/2011, 10:08 AM
Thompson being the key added a whole new emotional level for me.

this!

SoonerDood
7/15/2011, 12:09 PM
Sad that nothing in the last 4 yrs makes the poll.

In the 06 A&M game, we tried an onside kick in the 1st quarter up 14-3. Ball bounced off Nic Harris and Darien Williams. A&M recovered, had a short field, got two completely bogus personal fouls, and scored a TD.

Texas 08 we ran a fake punt, and it would've succeeded if Gresham blocked Earl Thomas instead of turning around to watch him tackle the ballcarrier.

Somebody already mentioned Hanna's drop.

badger
7/15/2011, 12:13 PM
Stoops still makes ballsy calls... they just haven't always been successful or as noteworthy as others.

Remember when he onside kicked at Colorado even though we were ahead early in the game?

Remember when he had Patches O'Hooligan pass instead of kick the field goal versus Texas?

soonerchk
7/15/2011, 12:24 PM
Stoops still makes ballsy calls... they just haven't always been successful or as noteworthy as others.

Remember when he onside kicked at Colorado even though we were ahead early in the game?

Remember when he had Patches O'Hooligan pass instead of kick the field goal versus Texas?

It was a whole lot more fun when everything worked.

Breadburner
7/15/2011, 12:30 PM
Onsides Vs Florida in the NC.....Or was that in Fiesta Vs WVU.....

freshchris05
7/15/2011, 04:38 PM

I remember Tim Duncan catching a TD pass against Texas in '99. That was exciting... The rest of the game sucked...

TheLadiesMike
7/15/2011, 09:42 PM
Onsides Vs Florida in the NC.....Or was that in Fiesta Vs WVU.....

I actually thought that was two bad calls in a row. We trailed 20-9 and go 80 yards in 7 plays over 1:41 to score the TD. Now it's 20-15. We have all the momentum.

Then we go for 2, which makes sense with a few minutes to play but there was 6:23 left in the third. They stop it and slow our momentum. The onside fails and they have all the momentum.

They scored a TD, we go 3 and out, and they scored another TD. We're down 19 and the game is over.

SoonerofAlabama
7/17/2011, 01:57 AM
Not trying to jack this thread, but...

Just thinking here. And I hate to go back to the 2009 season, I really do. I hate evn more to critique Bob. But I am thinking back to Ou-Miami 2009 where we were down four points late in the game and Bob decides to kick the field goal. What was that? We couldn't stop their ground attack after we kicked the field goal and ended up losing the game. Why didn't we go for it on fourth down and try to win?

cccasooner2
7/17/2011, 08:31 AM
Bama. As if the play alone wasn't enough, Thompson being the key added a whole new emotional level for me.

Got a lump in my throat when MT got the 1st. Excuse my name dropping moment, but Reggie Jackson stopped next to me and was watching that play as he and his family were leaving the restaraunt. :O

badger
7/17/2011, 10:00 PM
wow... no takers on the write-in option, eh? well hey, at least i gave you that choice :)

less than a day of votin' left, then I try to find some poll topic that hasn't been covered yet... is august here yet