PDA

View Full Version : Kids only at Meet the Sooners autograph event

badger
7/14/2011, 12:33 PM
You bratty adults leaving all huffy about not getting AD's or Sammie autograph have been noticed!

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110714_92_0_NRAkao12259)

Gaius_Longinus
7/14/2011, 12:39 PM
You bratty adults leaving all huffy about not getting AD's or Sammie autograph have been noticed!

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110714_92_0_NRAkao12259)

Thank God! Frankly I find it embarrassing when I see adults asking for autographs from college athletes especially when the bum rush to the front of the line knocking little kids over.

47straight
7/14/2011, 12:58 PM
All this means is that the adults who have kids as their proxies will be getting the autographs.

Hot Rod
7/14/2011, 01:01 PM
Adults may still attend the event – the revised rule is a maximum of one adult per child – but they can no longer ask for autographs.

Well I should hope so. Can't imagine just dropping them off.

This will be our 4th year to attend and I love seeing my boys talk to each player, recapping their favorite plays, and just getting to know the guys they love to watch.

mgsooner
7/14/2011, 01:06 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

badger
7/14/2011, 01:07 PM
I have never attended, just heard about how astronomically long the lines are for eBay sellable autographs. :mad:

Anyone have any personal experiences they'd like to share?

Gaius_Longinus
7/14/2011, 01:10 PM
I have never attended, just heard about how astronomically long the lines are for eBay sellable autographs. :mad:

Anyone have any personal experiences they'd like to share?

I work in the athletic department and I have seen on numerous occasions older men trample and push little kids out of the way while trying to get to the front of the line.

mgsooner
7/14/2011, 01:11 PM
I work in the athletic department and I have seen on numerous occasions older men trample and push little kids out of the way while trying to get to the front of the line.

But were they wearing jorts?

Gaius_Longinus
7/14/2011, 01:15 PM
But were they wearing jorts?

yes

mgsooner
7/14/2011, 01:15 PM
yes

jerseys?

badger
7/14/2011, 01:17 PM

I can only imagine. I've seen these types at the Red-White game getting in front of kids to demand autographs from player alums (and then not saying please before or thank you after)

mavsfan31
7/14/2011, 01:22 PM
Haha, those kind of people are a bunch of fools in my book.

Great move by the athletic department.

PalmBeachSooner
7/14/2011, 01:26 PM
Thank God! Frankly I find it embarrassing when I see adults asking for autographs from college athletes especially when the bum rush to the front of the line knocking little kids over.

You could all go to the 'Meet the Cowboys' day. The lines will be MUCH shorter over there.

I'm holding out for the 'Meet Sherri Coale' day.

badger
7/14/2011, 01:41 PM
You could all go to the 'Meet the Cowboys' day. The lines will be MUCH shorter over there.

I'm holding out for the 'Meet Sherri Coale' day.

I've seen videos of those Poke events --- they do something that might work better for the "meet the sooners" event.

1- Big table with every player and coach giving autographs.

2- Big autographable posters at the beginning of the line.

3- Players and coaches send the poster down the table as the fan follows the poster.

That's how our "Meet Sherri Coale" (and her team) autograph nights work.

SoCaliSooner
7/14/2011, 01:41 PM

Those little kids Should act like real Sooners and stop crying and Getting in The way of the real Sooner adults who Buy tickets. By God, there's an Empty place on a mantle for a Mini helmet with Landrys autography on one side and Broyles on the Other. Then Whitney needs to Sign down the middle representing the Cloud that holds both Lightning and Thunder of this great combination.

Fish&Game
7/14/2011, 01:56 PM
They should have done this a few years ago. I bet there will still be more people there this year as it is on a Sat. instead of a weekday. I wish I could be home to take my boys...but there is always next year!

ouboomer1
7/14/2011, 02:11 PM
you know some adults will still show up expecting to get autographs, and than come to the message boards and vent about it and talk about how they are owed something for being a fan...makes for good reading, i am going to miss those posts with the new policy.

badger
7/14/2011, 02:21 PM
They should have a Q cardboard cutout and a line with the top of his helmet: You must be THIS short to be in an autograph line. :D

Soonerfan88
7/14/2011, 02:32 PM
They should have a Q cardboard cutout and a line with the top of his helmet: You must be THIS short to be in an autograph line. :D

Is it a good or bad thing I would still qualify for autographs under this plan? :O

nativesooner
7/14/2011, 02:56 PM
That's awesome! Ok! Here's the plan! Hire a bunch of kids to stand in line for you for $10 each.... strategically place them so that when the first one is done with the first line, you can grab the ball they had signed, run it to the next position line, and pass it off to your other kid in the front of that line....Do this 10 or so times and you have a 2011 Team Signed Sooner Football to sell on ebay!!! lol! And no, I haven't actually done this, but did see it done last time I went. I don't mind its for the kids. The last time I went the yellow shirts told me I was the last one, even though there was 20 minutes left and there was a looooong line behind me. I turned around and told the young girl 3 people back to come take my place. The two ADULTS in front of her weren't happy with me at all and told me all about it. Funny stuff!

badger
7/14/2011, 03:06 PM
The last time I went the yellow shirts told me I was the last one, even though there was 20 minutes left and there was a looooong line behind me. I turned around and told the young girl 3 people back to come take my place. The two ADULTS in front of her weren't happy with me at all and told me all about it. Funny stuff!

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

Both for letting the girl in front and for pizzing off adults seeking autographs :D

SoonerofAlabama
7/14/2011, 03:15 PM
That's awesome! Ok! Here's the plan! Hire a bunch of kids to stand in line for you for $10 each.... strategically place them so that when the first one is done with the first line, you can grab the ball they had signed, run it to the next position line, and pass it off to your other kid in the front of that line....Do this 10 or so times and you have a 2011 Team Signed Sooner Football to sell on ebay!!! lol! And no, I haven't actually done this, but did see it done last time I went. I don't mind its for the kids. The last time I went the yellow shirts told me I was the last one, even though there was 20 minutes left and there was a looooong line behind me. I turned around and told the young girl 3 people back to come take my place. The two ADULTS in front of her weren't happy with me at all and told me all about it. Funny stuff!

Awesome story about the girl. That was a great thing you did.

texaspokieokie
7/14/2011, 03:29 PM
much ado about not much.

nighttrain12
7/14/2011, 08:32 PM
Those little kids Should act like real Sooners and stop crying and Getting in The way of the real Sooner adults who Buy tickets. .

Exactly! Kids don't buy any tickets or memorabilia to support the program. They're going to forget that autograph, if they even know who the player or coach is 5 seconds after they meet them.

prrriiide
7/14/2011, 08:57 PM
Those little kids Should act like real Sooners and stop crying and Getting in The way of the real Sooner adults who Buy tickets.

No, if they were real Sooners, they'd cuss them for the a-holes they are and then give 'em a good kick in the nuts. Then lean in and offer to sign his swollen testicles.

Taxman71
7/15/2011, 09:08 AM
Kids can't be true Sooner fans because they don't have a degree from OU! :D

rekamrettuB
7/15/2011, 09:17 AM
Exactly! Kids don't buy any tickets or memorabilia to support the program. They're going to forget that autograph, if they even know who the player or coach is 5 seconds after they meet them.

Yep...kids don't know what "Fire Venables" means.

SoonerPride
7/15/2011, 09:24 AM
I'm certainly ok with making it a kids only event, just change the name to "Kids Day with the Sooners."

Fan Appreciation Day is a misnomer IMHO.

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/15/2011, 09:31 AM
http://france.worldcupblog.org/files/2009/11/crying-child1.jpg

But...but...we buy the tickets!!!! Can I PLEASE have that kids autograph. To HELL with these kids. They can wait like the rest of us!

MamaMia
7/15/2011, 10:05 AM
Great long over due move by the Athletic Department. If grownups want autographs, there are plenty of items available at the sports stores once the student graduates, silent fund raising auctions for charitable events, and at the VIP tailgates.

soonerloyal
7/15/2011, 10:16 AM
You know, they have a detachment of Marines at the Armory right next door to the stadium. Grab a couple to use as security. They'll nip that s*** in the bud.

badger
7/15/2011, 10:32 AM
The argument against allowing people who buy sh!t being able to receive current OU player autographs:

You are essentially saying that they bought and paid for autographs.

:eek: NCAA ALERT! NCAA ALERT! BOWL BAN! BOWL BAN! SCHOLLY REDUCTION! SCHOLLY REDUCTION! PROBATION! PROBATION! :eek:

;)

agoo758
7/15/2011, 10:32 AM
This thread reminds me of the "bringing/banging your wife at the game" threads of 2010. :D

recruiter
7/15/2011, 11:37 AM
Personally, as a media member, no sane person would put themselves or their kids through another Kenny Mossman-butchered event.

In the defense of the adults, though, God forbid that the OU athletic department do any damn thing at all to actually connect with its fans. "Year of the Fan," my ***.

More like, "Give us all your money and shut up." Maybe the AD would be better off if it quit worrying about adults getting autographs and started worrying about the incompetents in the ticket office.

soonervegas
7/15/2011, 11:48 AM
This is the best thing the OU football program has done since January 2001.

SteelClip49
7/15/2011, 12:04 PM
Curtis, or should i say, Turdis on the Morning Animals disliked my Facebook post about there being an exception and letting active military service men and women be a part of the experience.