PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thing in Stewarts mail bag

RADsooner
7/14/2011, 09:26 AM
Talking about the longhorn network and ESPN.........

Stewart, the news came out recently that Texas' new Longhorn Network is going to broadcast one of the Longhorns' Big 12 games. How in the world can the conference let it and ESPN get away with this? Wouldn't the opposing team have to be paid, too? And wouldn't that go right back into the conference's TV rights pool of money? How does this not open up a huge can of worms in terms of future TV broadcast rights? Not to mention, how PO'd do you think a rival team's fans will be to have to watch their team play on a rival team's biased home broadcast?
-- Ben, Atlanta

I'd definitely be ticked off about the latter part. That's the TV equivalent of trying to find your favorite team's game on the radio while driving and only being able to pick up the opposing team's station. Even if the announcers remain mostly neutral, you'll be subjected to 700 Longhorn-themed ads and in-game promotions. I wouldn't worry about the financials too much. ESPN is simply shifting one of its ABC-allotted broadcasts to the Longhorn Network, so the opponent will get the same cut, regardless. It tells you something about just how much ESPN is investing in this thing that it not only gave up a network window, but, according to reports, basically made a trade with the conference's cable partner, Fox, that will allow Fox to move a 2012 Big 12 game to its mother channel.

And that's the part that should really be troubling not just to Big 12 fans, but to college football fans everywhere. From the moment this 20-year, $300 million deal was announced, it's been astounding just how deeply the company is getting into bed with one of the schools it covers journalistically. Granted, conflicts of interest are unavoidable in sports media these days. This website is owned by a company (Time Warner) that holds the rights to NBA, PGA and NASCAR programming. But ESPN isn't just testing the separation between church and state with Texas; there isn't one. Case in point: The ever-popular GameDay crew (Chris Fowler and Co.) will be appearing live from Austin for the channel's Aug. 26 debut. ESPN and Texas are now one and the same, and you can't tell me it won't affect the way GameDay, SportsCenter, Outside the Lines, et. al., cover Mack Brown's program. In a sport where many fans already live in a constant state of paranoia that the media is propping up someone else at their expense ... well, ESPN is flat-out doing it. It should make for some interesting signs the first time GameDay goes to Norman.

SoonerPride
7/14/2011, 09:38 AM
NBC is the Notre Dame network.
ESPN is the * network.

It's as simple as that.

Mississippi Sooner
7/14/2011, 09:39 AM
It should make for some interesting signs the first time GameDay goes to Norman.

The gauntlet has been thrown.

B1rd
7/14/2011, 09:43 AM
Talking about the longhorn network and ESPN.........

ESPN and Texas are now one and the same, and you can't tell me it won't affect the way GameDay, SportsCenter, Outside the Lines, et. al., cover Mack Brown's program. In a sport where many fans already live in a constant state of paranoia that the media is propping up someone else at their expense ... well, ESPN is flat-out doing it. It should make for some interesting signs the first time GameDay goes to Norman.

It will be great if they get to provide "over coverage" of another 5-7 season. This could backfire in the short term. Hopefully we will be up and running with OUr own network before they get their ship righted.

OU Engineer
7/14/2011, 09:59 AM
I'm salivating over the potential of "ESPN getting in bed with *" signs...

StoopTroup
7/14/2011, 10:46 AM
Texas Fans. Although they probably think there is no way another 5-7 Season might happen what if it's even worse and the Best they can pull is a 3 or 4 win Season? He'll what if they lost all but the one game?

I kind of doubt they will but I will always remember the beauty of seeing them latch on to Coach Brown as he delivered Texas a John Blake type Season.

Why bring up bad Memories?

Because it's how you measure your Current Teams success and right now OU is living somewhere at the Top of College Football without one snap from center while the Longwhorns continue to try and sell investors that their last Season was merely a hiccup.

It was more of a choke IMO and I think they will dig deep this year to improve on last years COLLAPSE. 6-6 is definitely a step forward for them and would definitely be an improvement.

Good luck Texas....you riverboat gamblers.