PDA

View Full Version : OU's QB situation next season

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/13/2011, 09:31 AM
Mind you, this is assuming Landry heads to the NFL.

Drew Allen
Blake Bell
Kendall Thompson
Some new freshman

None of the above have seen any meaningful time in games. I'm slightly concerned but should I be? Bell was the most highly rated recruit of the 3. He has all the tools but if sort of a wait and see situation with all of them. Anyone have any inside info or anything on what to expect from these guys?

Dan Thompson
7/13/2011, 09:44 AM
Remembering what happened to Sam, I hope someone is ready to play.

madillsoonerfan5353
7/13/2011, 09:52 AM
I think Landry comes back to chase his 2nd NC!

:gary:

Mad Dog Madsen
7/13/2011, 10:00 AM
I definitely think Landry will leave being a newly engaged man and all. If he wins a Hesiman and/or National Championship I think that would only increase his chances of leaving. He could have even been a top 10 pick in this last NFL draft. ...I still think Blake Bell is the future and I hope he takes over after this season. He'll have some pretty big shoe's to fill but, that seems to be the trend here at Quarterback U. :D

SoonerofAlabama
7/13/2011, 10:07 AM
I still don't believe he will leave after this season. Don't see him leaving Whitney here alone while he goes off to the NFL. I think if he does win a Heisman and MNC that he will almost definitely be gone, but it still would not be a guarantee. And who knows, maybe he wants to be a 2-time national champion. ;) :D

madillsoonerfan5353
7/13/2011, 10:08 AM
I definitely think Landry will leave being a newly engaged man and all. If he wins a Hesiman and/or National Championship I think that would only increase his chances of leaving. He could have even been a top 10 pick in this last NFL draft. ...I still think Blake Bell is the future and I hope he takes over after this season. He'll have some pretty big shoe's to fill but, that seems to be the trend here at Quarterback U. :D

Funny that you say this. If we keep sending qb's to the nfl like we can how long before Josh is a head coach. I hope he stays until Bobby is done.

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/13/2011, 10:16 AM
I still don't believe he will leave after this season. Don't see him leaving Whitney here alone while he goes off to the NFL. I think if he does win a Heisman and MNC that he will almost definitely be gone, but it still would not be a guarantee. And who knows, maybe he wants to be a 2-time national champion. ;) :D

This. Everyone want to think hes leaving because hes newly engaged and moving on with his life, but in order to do that he'll have to up and leave his wife behind to go to the NFL. Just seems unlikely to me, unless he does win everything there is to win this year. In which case Im ok with him leaving.

goingoneight
7/13/2011, 10:19 AM
As much as we concern ourselves with QB in 2012, also remember the OL takes quite a few hits, too. NTM, no Broyles, Miller or Hanna. Just gotta see how the cards fall and how guys develop in 2011 first. Who knows... maybe our backup will look sharp in garbage time this year and give us some hope for the future.

mavsfan31
7/13/2011, 10:23 AM
As much as we concern ourselves with QB in 2012, also remember the OL takes quite a few hits, too. NTM, no Broyles, Miller or Hanna. Just gotta see how the cards fall and how guys develop in 2011 first. Who knows... maybe our backup will look sharp in garbage time this year and give us some hope for the future.

You are concerned about receivers? Don't get me wrong, no one has proven themselves of being that great aside from Stills, but I think we'll be fine.

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/13/2011, 10:42 AM
Do you guys honestly think that LJ's fiancé is going to finish school when some NFL team writes him a check for 10-15 million dollars up front? Or gets a contract for a gazillion dollars?

BoulderSooner79
7/13/2011, 10:51 AM
Do you guys honestly think that LJ's fiancé is going to finish school when some NFL team writes him a check for 10-15 million dollars up front? Or gets a contract for a gazillion dollars?

Yes. They will be able to afford flying around the country for a season, so why not?

oudavid1
7/13/2011, 10:53 AM
Allen
Bell
Thompson
Sherrard

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/13/2011, 11:03 AM
Allen
Bell
Thompson
Sherrard

Funny

LakeRat
7/13/2011, 11:09 AM

I hope he leaves her here so I can move in on her!!!

I put the chances of him leaving at less than 1%. And that 1% being the chance that we have a pregnant Whitney. He isn't going for the money, his parents have that.

I don't see a reason for him to leave early. One more year and he is the top pick. His wife is done with school.

mavsfan31
7/13/2011, 11:26 AM

Yes.

madillsoonerfan5353
7/13/2011, 11:39 AM

What about Sam, he passed it up!

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/13/2011, 11:51 AM
Good for Sam

I'm referring to a WOMAN who could potentially be putting bugs in his ear. For you guys that say there is a 95% chance he comes back I'm just curious what you are basing it on

Mad Dog Madsen
7/13/2011, 11:55 AM
What about Sam, he passed it up!

Then he got hurt... and regretted it! ;)

Jacie
7/13/2011, 12:04 PM

It's not always about the money. Perhaps she might want to be more than Mrs. Landry Jones, have an accomplishment of her own and a college degree is something to be proud of. Late in my junior year I was burned out and thought about quitting until I received a letter from the college detailing what requirements remained to be filled in order to earn that degree. Seeing that was like showing me the light at the end of the tunnel and re-inspired me to finish what I had started.

Muno
7/13/2011, 12:04 PM
Obviously it's tough to predict given we have this season, spring ball, summer workouts and August practice before a start has to be named. However, coming out of the spring Allen was clearly the #2 and will be backing up Landry in the event Landry gets hurt. I think Bell will really need to come on in the spring to have a real shot at winning the starting job next year. He has the talent to do it but Allen has been playing pretty well from what I'm hearing.

StoopTroup
7/13/2011, 12:20 PM
Until the NFL resolves it's issues there is little reason to think that contracts like SB's will be readily available come next year. That being said I think it's just as possible that the end of seeing kids head that way for League Minimums as hard core recruiters are possibly turned away from those situations of trying to land the next big fish. It's possible the players association could make a case that their proven worth is worth much more than rolling the dice on some new promise of greatness.

I bet the owners would fold the league before the Players start telling them what to do however.

If it's resolved before the Season is affected I guess then real speculation can take place. Till then I see no reason for a kid to leave early.

SoonerMarkVA
7/13/2011, 12:36 PM
Jones somehow strikes me as a guy who would want to get that B2B if he could. So, if we get to the NC and win, I suspect he's coming back. If we get there and lose, well, I could see him jumping if he's a top 10 pick. If we don't get there at all, I think he'll come back. So, I guess I side on "he's likely coming back."

Salt City Sooner
7/13/2011, 12:58 PM

You might want to take a look at the bolded part in the first post:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156208

Until she says/does differently, I think I'll take her at her word. She's done nothing to this point to give me any reason not to.

LakeRat
7/13/2011, 01:30 PM
Good for Sam

I'm referring to a WOMAN who could potentially be putting bugs in his ear. For you guys that say there is a 95% chance he comes back I'm just curious what you are basing it on

B/C his wife is here? His wife isn't leaving early for the WNBA is she?

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/13/2011, 01:46 PM
I guess I have fallen into some strange paradox where everyones wife isn't money hungry

mavsfan31
7/13/2011, 02:06 PM
I guess I have fallen into some strange paradox where everyones wife isn't money hungry

I've never got that impression from Hand. I think they both have good heads on their shoulders. I'm taking her word that she will finish things out. I think it's the best decision for her, also.

texaspokieokie
7/13/2011, 04:09 PM

if she finishes school, she can go to wnba & make upwards of $25/game. if the league hasn't folded.

SoonerofAlabama
7/13/2011, 04:14 PM
if she finishes school, she can go to wnba & make upwards of $25/game. if the league hasn't folded.

Wow, did they increase salary? I couldn't find the remote one day, and WNBA was on. I watched it for a few minutes before I found the remote. This is what I saw in the stands:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2902/emptyseatsbyrondavisjan.jpg

tennsooner
7/13/2011, 04:18 PM
Yes. They will be able to afford flying around the country for a season, so why not?

Because if he did he couldn't hit it two or three times a day every day.:pop: :D

rekamrettuB
7/13/2011, 05:00 PM
None of the above have seen any meaningful time in games. I'm slightly concerned but should I be? Bell was the most highly rated recruit of the 3. He has all the tools but if sort of a wait and see situation with all of them. Anyone have any inside info or anything on what to expect from these guys?

Sure...but look what Sam did with zero playing time. He had a great supporting cast with lots of experience back. If the 2012 starter is not Landry, then his returning supporting cast's play will be reflected in the new QB's play.

BoulderSooner79
7/13/2011, 05:08 PM
Wow, did they increase salary? I couldn't find the remote one day, and WNBA was on. I watched it for a few minutes before I found the remote. This is what I saw in the stands:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2902/emptyseatsbyrondavisjan.jpg

Did the world suddenly run out of lesbians? :eek: :eek:

MamaMia
7/13/2011, 05:40 PM
I'm thinking he will stay, if not, its a toss up. :D

What size are they at right now?

SoonerofAlabama
7/13/2011, 06:16 PM
I'm thinking he will stay, if not, its a toss up. :D

What size are they at right now?

I don't understand this question. :confused:

oudavid1
7/13/2011, 08:07 PM
Funny

For a walk on, the kid is a player.

MamaMia
7/13/2011, 08:19 PM
I don't understand this question. :confused:

How tall are they? How much do they weigh now? How well have they been bulking up? :D

SoonerofAlabama
7/13/2011, 08:39 PM
How tall are they? How much do they weigh now? How well have they been bulking up? :D

Apparently Landry has put on like 10 pounds of solid muscle.

Salt City Sooner
7/13/2011, 09:03 PM
Very hot rumors going around that Trevor Knight has flipped his verbal from A&M to OU.

soonerloyal
7/13/2011, 09:45 PM
Anyone happen to know Whitney H.'s major?

rekamrettuB
7/14/2011, 09:19 AM

Hotness...Major Hotness.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/14/2011, 10:37 AM
Hotness...Major Hotness.

No offense but I think that's her minor actually. lol. That was definitely Erin Higgins' major though! ...Which yall know nuthin' about! ;) :D

texaspokieokie
7/14/2011, 10:40 AM

Quarterback Husbandry

sooner KB
7/14/2011, 06:22 PM
Couldn't Whitney just transfer to a university in the city where Landry gets drafted? Am I missing something here?

SoonerofAlabama
7/14/2011, 06:26 PM
Why would she transfer?

sooner KB
7/14/2011, 06:46 PM
Why would she transfer?

Uhhh... to be with her husband?

SoonerofAlabama
7/14/2011, 07:47 PM
Uhhh...He would be traveling a lot. She wouldn't change schools either. I don't think. She would have been here three years and she said she is going to finish out her career here in a recent interview. If and when she stays, Landry stays. Way I see it, Landry is finishing his career here until I hear otherwise.

sooner KB
7/14/2011, 08:34 PM
She said she was going to finish college. It sounds like to me she was trying to make the point that she would go all 4 years so she could get her degree. I never got the impression that she was Sooner born 'n bred in such a hardcore way that she would not consider even going to another university, even if it comes down to Landry's dreams about playing pro ball and making millions of dollars.

yankee
7/14/2011, 08:39 PM
Why would she transfer?

+1

yankee
7/14/2011, 08:41 PM
She said she was going to finish college. It sounds like to me she was trying to make the point that she would go all 4 years so she could get her degree. I never got the impression that she was Sooner born 'n bred in such a hardcore way that she would not consider even going to another university, even if it comes down to Landry's dreams about playing pro ball and making millions of dollars.

Just curious, how does one come to the conclusion that a student athlete isn't Sooner born 'n bred? Does she not sing Boomer Sooner real loud?

sooner KB
7/14/2011, 09:50 PM
Just curious, how does one come to the conclusion that a student athlete isn't Sooner born 'n bred? Does she not sing Boomer Sooner real loud?

Huh? Do you have any kind of adult-level reading comprehension?

I never said Whitney Hand, who I know nothing about, isn't "sooner born 'n bred", I was attempting to make the point that almost anybody would be willing to transfer to another school if it meant his or her spouse could follow his or her dreams and make millions of dollars. In other words, nobody is that "sooner born 'n bred" to completely refuse to leave OU and transfer to another school.

BoulderSooner79
7/14/2011, 11:22 PM

Edit: OK, I'll break this down for you by pretending I'm talking to a 10 year old. (I'm assuming you're an adult, if you're not, I apologize.) I never said Whitney Hand, who I know nothing about, isn't "sooner born 'n bred", I was attempting to make the point that almost anybody would be willing to transfer to another school if it meant his or her spouse could follow his or her dreams and make millions of dollars. In other words, nobody is that "sooner born 'n bred" to completely refuse to leave OU and transfer to another school.

Do you understand what I'm saying? I just realized I used adult words there.

I see no reason for the attitude, but I'll pretend your are a 9 year old. An NFL life is a very mobile one. Even during the season, half the games are on the road. An NFL wife could finish her degree anywhere and still see her husband a similar amount of time and there is an airport in OKC last I checked.

sooner KB
7/14/2011, 11:27 PM
I see no reason for the attitude, but I'll pretend your are a 9 year old. An NFL life is a very mobile one. Even during the season, half the games are on the road. An NFL wife could finish her degree anywhere and still see her husband a similar amount of time and there is an airport in OKC last I checked.

So isn't that what will happen anyways? Are some posters actually proposing that Landry never enter the NFL so he can always be around his wife? What's the difference of having one extra year where you aren't around your wife very often? Is that one extra year worth possibly risking a career-ending injury and foregoing the millions of dollars he would make in that one season?

The point is, these two will have the next 70 years to be together. It would seem foolish to base a major life-changing decision around whether or not they will be around each other every day or every 3 days of the week for about one year of their lives.

I have no idea if Landry will go pro or not, it just seems like a really silly reason to assume that there is a "1% chance" that he goes pro.

BoulderSooner79
7/14/2011, 11:39 PM
So isn't that what will happen anyways? Are some posters actually proposing that Landry never enter the NFL so he can always be around his wife? What's the difference of having one extra year where you aren't around your wife very often? Is that one extra year worth possibly risking a career-ending injury and foregoing the millions of dollars he would make in that one season?

The point is, these two will have the next 70 years to be together. It would seem foolish to base a major life-changing decision around whether or not they will be around each other every day or every so often for about one year of their lives.

I have no idea if Landry will go pro or not, it just seems like a really silly to assume that there is a "1% chance" that he goes pro.

I agree with you. I don't think LJ's decision will be based on Whitney wanting to finish school. And I don't think Whitney will alter her school decision based on what LJ decides at the end of the season - switching schools for her senior season would seem silly. The amount of time involved is a few months.

yankee
7/15/2011, 12:46 AM

I never said Whitney Hand, who I know nothing about, isn't "sooner born 'n bred", I was attempting to make the point that almost anybody would be willing to transfer to another school if it meant his or her spouse could follow his or her dreams and make millions of dollars. In other words, nobody is that "sooner born 'n bred" to completely refuse to leave OU and transfer to another school.

Transferring to another school senior year to be closer to your husband who's not gonna be home most of the time sounds pretty silly to me. That's if I comprehended you right this time, *** hole.

Curly Bill
7/15/2011, 12:50 AM
Good for Sam

Wishful thinking. ;)

Curly Bill
7/15/2011, 12:54 AM
And would it kill us, and by us I mean Bob, to get a backup QB some meaningful snaps, so that if LJ does leave, or if he should get hurt we have someone with a little meaningful experience?

Hear that Bob? I know you check things out on here, so get the backup a few snaps when we're up by say 3 or more TDs in the 2nd half. K, thanks.

SoonerofAlabama
7/15/2011, 12:56 AM
And would it kill us, and by us I mean Bob, to get a backup QB some meaningful snaps, so that if LJ does leave, or if he should get hurt we have someone with a little meaningful experience?

Hear that Bob? I know you check things out on here, so get the backup a few snaps when we're up by say 3 or more TDs in the 2nd half. K, thanks.

Hey, Drew Allen had a rushing TD last year. Thats something. At least.

Curly Bill
7/15/2011, 01:00 AM
Hey, Drew Allen had a rushing TD last year. Thats something. At least.

Well, that's something I guess, but we, and by we I mean Bob, has a bad habit of leaving the starting QB in there considerably longer than we have to. Not that this is always a bad thing, and I know there can be reasons for it, but it seems like it's in Bob's DNA to just always do that.

And forgive me those of you that live 24-7 in your crimson glasses; I know Bob can do no wrong, and any criticism of him on my part, either real, or merely perceived on your part, is obviously because I am wrong, since unlike Bob I am not a D-1 football coach. :D

SoonerofAlabama
7/15/2011, 01:03 AM
Yeah, Drew came in at the start of the 4th. But it was the shutout against Iowa State.

GameWarden
7/15/2011, 06:47 AM
Good for Sam

Most women want their husband around. I know its an antiquated notion but I can't tell that its changed much over the years. Multiply that by 10 for a new bride.
Mark me down as one that definitely thinks he will stay. That means one year for Allen, one for Bell and then we have to find a QB.
By the time he's a senior Allen will be more than ready. Same for Bell if he sticks around and I hope he does cause I sure want to see him play for the Sooners.

Soonerfan88
7/15/2011, 09:54 AM
From a woman's point of view:

No wonder marriages don't last if that's the way you think we think. First, no I wouldn't push my fiancee/husband into a job he didn't want just because of the money unless we couldn't afford to eat. Second, no I'm not going to cry and make him turn down the job just because I won't be able to see him every day. This will be Landry's decision and Whitney will support him no matter the choice.

I personally think he goes to the NFL, especially if OU wins the NC. Sam came back after his RS Sophomore year, Landry is a RS Junior. That extra year makes a big difference.

soonerloyal
7/15/2011, 10:45 AM

No wonder marriages don't last if that's the way you think we think. First, no I wouldn't push my fiancee/husband into a job he didn't want just because of the money unless we couldn't afford to eat. Second, no I'm not going to cry and make him turn down the job just because I won't be able to see him every day. This will be Landry's decision and Whitney will support him no matter the choice.

I personally think he goes to the NFL, especially if OU wins the NC. Sam came back after his RS Sophomore year, Landry is a RS Junior. That extra year makes a big difference.

^^^^
This.

Besides, Whitney is a very talented & competitive athlete herself. She's very attuned to the problems, responsibilities, pressures and the good & bad of the entire subject. Why assume that she'd be detrimental in any way to Landry's future plans?

soonerloyal
7/15/2011, 10:49 AM
Quarterback Husbandry

I see. Is Landry's major Guard Wifery?

texaspokieokie
7/15/2011, 10:56 AM
I see. Is Landry's major Guard Wifery?

it should be, she's a fine fox !!!
(my antiquated terminology)

LakeRat
7/15/2011, 12:30 PM

What a novel idea!!!! Man get word to Bob immediately b/c he has never done this . . . :rolleyes:

LakeRat
7/15/2011, 12:34 PM

The point is, these two will have the next 70 years to be together. It would seem foolish to base a major life-changing decision around whether or not they will be around each other every day or every 3 days of the week for about one year of their lives.

I have no idea if Landry will go pro or not, it just seems like a really silly reason to assume that there is a "1% chance" that he goes pro.

Your one assumption that doesn't make sense to me is that he would do it for the money. Or maybe you are saying he is less likely to get injured in the NFL?

Can you please give me a reason that he would go pro?

The only logical answer I have heard was he won the heisman and the MNC and was the undisputed #1 overall, and therefore he had nothing else to accomplish by staying.

I want a reason he would leave.

badger
7/15/2011, 12:52 PM
I don't know what Whitney's major is, but seeing how she's done a few pregame video packages for football with the Oklahoman or whoever, I think she's probably in either communication or journalism.

As for will Whitney keep Landry at OU? Not necessarily. But he might have a very good excuse to visit Norman often if she's still here :)

sooner KB
7/15/2011, 04:38 PM
Your one assumption that doesn't make sense to me is that he would do it for the money. Really? It doesn't make sense that someone would want millions of dollars? :confused:

Or maybe you are saying he is less likely to get injured in the NFL? :confused:

Can you please give me a reason that he would go pro?

He dreams of playing professional football, and he would rather not delay it by one year? He knows there's a chance that he could have career-ending injury his senior year?

I want a reason he would leave.

badger
7/15/2011, 04:52 PM
I don't think Landry or his family are hurting for money, so that might delay his jump a year. However, it is well documented that Stoops encourages high first round draft picks to go. Will his stance change if the NFL has a slotted rookie scale? Probably not. First rounders are not just guaranteed money, but guaranteed to have the patience of the teams that spent a high pick on them even if they are injured or under perform.

I love Landry and all our Sooners, but I don't see him as a high pick next year (please feel free to copy and paste next April when I'm 100 percent wrong). His decision making probably would worry some scouts.

sooner KB
7/15/2011, 04:53 PM
The only logical answer I have heard was he won the heisman and the MNC and was the undisputed #1 overall, and therefore he had nothing else to accomplish by staying.

That's like I saying if I had a job at Walmart, but then got offered my dream job, the only logical thing to do would be to work at Walmart for another year so I could go after Employee of the Month. You have no idea what Landry's motivations are when it comes to football. It wouldn't make him a "bad Sooner" if he wanted to leave and move on to greener pastures.

I have no idea if he'll go pro or not, but to pretend you know that the only reason someone would enter the draft is because they have won a national championship and won a Heisman trophy is just f*&$% stupid.

Jason Alexander
7/15/2011, 05:03 PM
That's like I saying if I had a job at Walmart, but then got offered my dream job, the only logical thing to do would be to work at Walmart for another year so I could go after Employee of the Month. You have no idea what Landry's motivations are when it comes to football. It wouldn't make him a "bad Sooner" if he wanted to leave and move on to greener pastures.

I have no idea if he'll go pro or not, but to pretend you know that the only reason someone would enter the draft is because they have won a national championship and won a Heisman trophy is just f*&$% stupid.
Yeah but you get paid way more for being a college football player than working at Wal Mart.

Spray
7/15/2011, 05:16 PM
The only thing that jumps out at me in this thread is all the Landry love. Just 18 months ago the anti-Landry on this board outnumbered the pro-Landry probably 3 to 1. It's all about patience with young, talented QBs- something in very short supply for Landry with OU fans when he took over for Sam. Now look at him.

Lesson: For God sakes, whoever the QB is next year, realize he probably will cost us a game or two, and that he will, at some point be awesome. Josh Heupel is unbelievable at what he does.

KNEE BRACE
7/15/2011, 06:59 PM
quit calling whitney hand by her first name you ****ing geeks

BoulderSooner79
7/15/2011, 11:52 PM
I love Landry and all our Sooners, but I don't see him as a high pick next year (please feel free to copy and paste next April when I'm 100 percent wrong). His decision making probably would worry some scouts.

Normally, I'd agree with you. But then I saw how high Locker and Ponder went this year. I'd compare what LJ has done in college very favorably to what Ponder accomplished. Could be the difference in supporting cast and Ponder looked great at the combine. I'd bring this up next April, but I will have long forgotten the question by then.

SoonerofAlabama
7/15/2011, 11:55 PM
I don't think Landry or his family are hurting for money, so that might delay his jump a year. However, it is well documented that Stoops encourages high first round draft picks to go. Will his stance change if the NFL has a slotted rookie scale? Probably not. First rounders are not just guaranteed money, but guaranteed to have the patience of the teams that spent a high pick on them even if they are injured or under perform.

Uhh. *cough* *cough* Uhhh. *cough* {two years} *cough*

:D

GameWarden
7/16/2011, 09:44 AM

If thinking was involved there wouldn't be much problem.

stoopified
7/17/2011, 02:19 PM
Yes. They will be able to afford flying around the country for a season, so why not?Exactly.Add to that the fact that they are both mature, independent ,strong personalities,I would be shocked if Landry comes back after this year.

JRAM
7/17/2011, 08:57 PM
Blake Bell. I think, will be the next QB at OU. It could be Allen, but I just get the feeling that Bell will edge him out by a whisker. Either way, and it could also be Knight, we can't lose. They are all three very good.