PDA

View Full Version : Do High School Games on TLN Provide a Disadvantage To The Rest Of The Big XII?

SoonerofAlabama
7/12/2011, 11:05 PM
A big thank you goes out to OU_Sooners75 for the suggestion. :D

Opinions and Thoughts Are Welcome.

Poll open for 5 days. Voting is anonymous.

OU_Sooners75
7/12/2011, 11:18 PM
I voted yes.

They wont give an advantage by giving them more players...but it will give them more of an advantage when it comes to players they may not be aware of, or that they think is not for them.

How? once the game is aired, they get an instant video tape of the two teams. They can study the tape over and over and look at each and every player. So say there is a guy that is getting recruited heavily by some low tiered team that has been passed over initially by Texas. They see him play and show signs of being a very special player. They can then contact that player and start recruiting him and since he is only getting interest from the lower tiered teams, he will likely jump at the chance to go to UT.

Now, say that the reason that player was somehow passed ove by Texas was because the player didnt have the ability to pay for summer football camps or what not. So the scouts that went to previous games, overlooked him because they had their eye on another player(s). So they see him on the LHN and wham, they have an inside track to a player that no one had.

It also gives them unprecedented access to view Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors that may not have been on their radar before the live televised game.

We all know you cannot give more than 85 schollies total. We also know you cannot give more than 25 schollies per season. So it wont give them that advantage.

Curly Bill
7/12/2011, 11:25 PM
Is there some rule that says OU for example couldn't watch the games on TLN? I can't imagine much interest in doing this, and frankly don't see the Texas coaches doing it either, but if OU, Mizzu, or whoever wanted to I'm pretty sure they could get someone to burn them a copy of any games that might appear on TLN.

SoonerofAlabama
7/12/2011, 11:28 PM
Oh also my first poll ever.

Curly Bill
7/12/2011, 11:29 PM
Oh also my first poll ever.

Congrats. You done good. :P

OU_Sooners75
7/12/2011, 11:30 PM
Is there some rule that says OU for example couldn't watch the games on TLN? I can't imagine much interest in doing this, and frankly don't see the Texas coaches doing it either, but if OU, Mizzu, or whoever wanted to I'm pretty sure they could get someone to burn them a copy of any games that might appear on TLN.

Im sure they could. However, Im pretty sure, you are correct, the head coaches may not watch those games.

It also gives an advantage to Texas as a recruiting tool by plastering their network all over the stadium that the HS game is being played.

That is advertisement. And if you don't think that type of advertisement wont entice some players that are committed to some other top program to take another look at Texas, you are crazy.

I think the NCAA should make a rule (if there isnt one) that prohibits a Univeristy's Sports Networks from showing High School games.

Curly Bill
7/12/2011, 11:31 PM
Im sure they could. However, Im pretty sure, you are correct, the head coaches may not watch those games.

It also gives an advantage to Texas as a recruiting tool by plastering their network all over the stadium that the HS game is being played.

That is advertisement. And if you don't think that time of advertisement wont entice some players that are committed to some other top program to take another look at Texas, you are crazy.

I think the NCAA should make a rule (if there isnt one) that prohibits a Univeristy's Sports Network from showing High School games.

I totally agree that the dedicated network thing could be used as a selling point to recruits.

And I don't disagree with that last point either.

MeMyself&Me
7/12/2011, 11:43 PM
Tejas already gets almost all the recruits they target. I don't see how the TLN really improves that. If they aren't already winning championships, it's a coaching problem or talent evaluating problem... not a recruiting problem.

Curly Bill
7/12/2011, 11:46 PM
Tejas already gets almost all the recruits they target. I don't see how the TLN really improves that. If they aren't already winning championships, it's a coaching problem or talent evaluating problem... not a recruiting problem.

There's considerable truth to them getting who they want, but it's also somewhat deceiving as they have a habit of only "offering" a kid once he's all but said he'll commit. They do occasionally put their recruiting rep on the line by going after someone like an AD, but that's not real common for them.

Soonerfan88
7/12/2011, 11:48 PM
Great point brought up by Sooners75.

My thought is that the whorns will make it an if/then situation for the high schools. If the coach supports UT or undermines the competition with a star player, they will pick up at least one of their HS games on LHN. In that situation, how is the coach any different than Lyles?

Curly Bill
7/12/2011, 11:49 PM
Who will make the decisions on what is shown on TLN? Is it the university itself or what/who exactly?

texaspokieokie
7/13/2011, 08:50 AM
Great point brought up by Sooners75.

My thought is that the whorns will make it an if/then situation for the high schools. If the coach supports UT or undermines the competition with a star player, they will pick up at least one of their HS games on LHN. In that situation, how is the coach any different than Lyles?

wonder how many of the more than 1000 (just a guess) HS (head) coaches in
tx support UT so will get their games on tx network ???

KantoSooner
7/13/2011, 08:53 AM
Not a thread jack, but the whole larger issue of university networks fascinates me. With cable and satellite services having space for 500+ channels, there is no lack of bandwidth to include a network for every college and university in the country (well, not literally, but you get the picture). I'm surprised every major university with a journalism dept isn't pushing their product onto cable. There are so many ways you could tout your school.

OU GENO
7/13/2011, 09:21 AM
I vote NO!

TheLadiesMike
7/13/2011, 10:20 AM
How many games can they cover a season? 1 per week? Especially while covering the Longhorns latest disappointing venture.

TahoeSOONER
7/13/2011, 10:28 AM
Is channel 57 available?

Dio
7/13/2011, 02:44 PM
I don't see how the TLN will stop years and years of * sinking more money into something and getting less results. (Fumbles McHeadcase's NC over the crosseyed fat grocery bagger notwithstanding)

Jacie
7/13/2011, 03:17 PM
Perhaps if they make deals with highschool coaches who funnel players to them that their games will be televised.

For all I know that is legal, buying influence with highschool coaches . . .

OU_Sooners75
7/13/2011, 03:32 PM
Perhaps if they make deals with highschool coaches who funnel players to them that their games will be televised.

For all I know that is legal, buying influence with highschool coaches . . .

actually it isnt legal.

Schools are not suppose to pay any high school coaches or players to gain influence.