PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach's Book - Swing Your Sword

5thYearSooner
7/12/2011, 02:13 PM
Here is the link
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/the_bonus/07/11/leach.book.excerpt/index.html?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp

badger
7/12/2011, 02:29 PM
Pirate Mikey got screwed, but so did Tech's entire fanbase that had become accustomed to rattling OU's, UT's and A&M's cages for a decade.

2001: Beat Texas A&M
2002: Beat Texas A&M
2003: Beat Texas A&M
2005: Beat OU (not really) and Texas A&M
2006: Beat Texas A&M
2007: Beat OU and Texas A&M
2008: Beat Texas and Texas A&M
2009: Beat OU

There was no other Big 12 team I feared at home and on the road than Pirate Master Mikey's Air Raid offense. Fire Craig James, ESPN. He sucks at commentary anyway.

bettersoonerthenlater
7/12/2011, 02:35 PM
it is really a shame for tech and leech that this happened i mean it kinda helped OU out a little lubbock may never be wht it could have been and was becoming under leech. i like a lot of us sooners love mike leech it kills me that the james family did this. i guess since craig prolly got paid at SMU he thought money and name could get anything including playing time

crawfish
7/12/2011, 02:36 PM
I believe Leach. I hope Tech falls back into football obscurity for how they handled this.

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 02:39 PM
i guess since craig prolly got paid at SMU he thought money and name could get anything including playing time
Craig DID get paid at SMU and did expect his name to be enough to get his kid playing time. Don't you know Adam is just a fine young man what with Daddy running around fighting his battles for him?

Soonerfan88
7/12/2011, 02:39 PM
I wasn't a "Pony Boy" fan before this and certainly don't respect him or his family after. Is he still running for office in Texas?

Might have to pick up Leach's book. I'm sure it has some entertaining stories.

badger
7/12/2011, 02:41 PM
What losing the winningest coach in school history and lawsuit and national media attention for the wrong reason nets you:

Two catches for 26 yards in nine games played, zero starts.

Link (http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/james_adam00.html)

FUN GAME: Can you spot the d00shbag in this photo?
http://www.redraiders.com/wp-content/uploads//jamesleach.jpg

SoonerofAlabama
7/12/2011, 02:45 PM
3A19q7rysLs

badger
7/12/2011, 02:57 PM
SI's take here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/07/12/mike-leach/)

When the stories first broke in 2009, James looked like the concerned parent and Leach looked like a monster. That's exactly how James wanted it to look. He wanted the public to believe Leach had ordered a trainer to make Adam James, a Texas Tech wide receiver who had sustained a concussion, stand in a closet for an entire practice.

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 02:59 PM
Adam James and Rhett Bomar should go bowling together.

OUMallen
7/12/2011, 03:00 PM
Leach's book, which includes transcripts of depositions and e-mails sent by the PR firm -- including a particularly enlightening series of e-mails in which the firm's employees attempt to determine the best way to drive traffic to a YouTube clip that seemed to support the story -- puts the lie to that tale. Adam James was sent to a room large enough to accommodate a visiting media horde, but he chose to go into the closet and film himself with his cellphone. No matter the truth, the controversy was precisely what Hance needed at the time. Still smarting over the fact that Leach and his agents bested the school in a contract negotiation, the chancellor ensured Leach would be fired just in time for Texas Tech to wriggle out from paying a large retention bonus.
(A little more than a year later, Texas Tech would hire basketball coach Billy Gillispie, who once made one of his Kentucky players spend an entire halftime in a bathroom stall and then sent him home on the team equipment truck. Apparently in the eyes of the people in charge in Lubbock, one man's brutality is another man's motivational technique.)

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/07/12/mike-leach/index.html#ixzz1RvHhoyGQ

LakeRat
7/12/2011, 03:12 PM
Adam James and Rhett Bomar should go bowling together.

I don't put James and Bomar in the same league.

Bomar made mistakes and never through a fit that he was punished.

James expected everyone to bow down to his name.

MsProudSooner
7/12/2011, 03:14 PM
I never had any respect for Craig James. Now, I've lost what little respect I had for Joe Schad.

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 03:16 PM
I don't put James and Bomar in the same league.

Bomar made mistakes and never through a fit that he was punished.

James expected everyone to bow down to his name.

Bomar refused to admit he made a mistake, as I recall and that's why Stoops kicked him off the team. It wasn't be cause he screwed up, it was because he turned around and lied when caught.

They both have entitlement issues that their fathers seem to encourage.

badger
7/12/2011, 03:18 PM
To Bomar's credit, I'll begrudgingly admit, he has worked his arse off to try to salvage his career after getting kickout out of Oklahoma. He went down to I-AA (or FCS or whatever), he got drafted in the nosebleed rounds (fifth), he got relegated to the Giants' practice squad, promoted temporarily to the active roster, sent back to the practice squad after getting cut, and is now third stringing at Minny.

Adam James probably would have had daddy use his ESPN leverage to get a active roster spot or more playing time. To Rhett's (and his father's) credit, there's been little whining from the Bomars during his difficult struggle to make it in the NFL.

Mississippi Sooner
7/12/2011, 03:23 PM
To Bomar's credit, I'll begrudgingly admit, he has worked his arse off to try to salvage his career after getting kickout out of Oklahoma. He went down to I-AA (or FCS or whatever), he got drafted in the nosebleed rounds (fifth), he got relegated to the Giants' practice squad, promoted temporarily to the active roster, sent back to the practice squad after getting cut, and is now third stringing at Minny.

Adam James probably would have had daddy use his ESPN leverage to get a active roster spot or more playing time. To Rhett's (and his father's) credit, there's been little whining from the Bomars during his difficult struggle to make it in the NFL.

And I can't help but thinking that maybe, just maybe, Rhett wasn't quite as good as all the hype would have us to believe. Not unlike the guy with mommy issues, Mitch Mustain.

delhalew
7/12/2011, 03:24 PM
ESPN needs to be held accountable for the way they handled that situation, including their broadcast of Tech's bowl game.

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 03:27 PM
And I can't help but thinking that maybe, just maybe, Rhett wasn't quite as good as all the hype would have us to believe. Not unlike the guy with mommy issues, Mitch Mustain.

I think he could have been if he hadn't let his ego get in the way.

And who knows if Jerry Bomar is still whining? He no longer has a spotlight so no one cares. I have no doubt he's still pissed that Stoops insisted on hiring Josh Heupel at QB coach that a real "name" like he wanted. And that right there is unforgivable in my book.

Really disgusted by parents who insist on living their own lives based on what their children might do.

LASooner
7/12/2011, 03:42 PM
Typically these coaching books aren't something I care about, but because it's Mike Leach, I bought it for my nook immediately. Should be an interesting read.

I only wish it were an audio book.

The Maestro
7/12/2011, 03:45 PM
Best Leach quote ever...paraphrased...

"Coach, you've got a big matchup with Oklahoma State this week...how do you assess this matchup?"

"Well, they have a guy who rides a black horse and we have a guy who rides a black horse so it should be a good game."

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 03:46 PM
ESPN needs to be held accountable for the way they handled that situation, including their broadcast of Tech's bowl game.

They should give Craig's job to Mike.

OUMallen
7/12/2011, 03:49 PM

They published the report of their personal ombudsman that said their coverage was biased. That was it.

OUMallen
7/12/2011, 03:50 PM
Typically these coaching books aren't something I care about, but because it's Mike Leach, I bought it for my nook immediately. Should be an interesting read.

I only wish it were an audio book.

That could take WEEKS with the way he talks! :D

OUMallen
7/12/2011, 03:52 PM
Best Leach quote ever...paraphrased...

"Coach, you've got a big matchup with Oklahoma State this week...how do you assess this matchup?"

"Well, they have a guy who rides a black horse and we have a guy who rides a black horse so it should be a good game."

I think the best one is, paraphrased:

Coming off the final game, a win, to put the Red Raiders at 7-5, a sideline reporter catches Coach Leach on his way off the field and asks, "Coach Leach, congratulations on the season- what bowl would you like to go to?"

He answers, "The Rose Bowl," and just walks off. :D I mean, she did ask him which bowl he wanted to go to !

badger
7/12/2011, 04:08 PM
I don't think this one is on youtube.

Reporter: (says something about positive first quarter). Second quarter, not so much?

Leach (hurrying to locker room as he talks): Yeah, second quarter not worth a damn.

Reporter: What's the injury situation with quarterback Taylor Potts.

Leach (stops walking): ...I don't know! (continues running to locker room)

Best halftime interview ever! It was from his last season :)

Eielson
7/12/2011, 07:37 PM
Bomar refused to admit he made a mistake, as I recall and that's why Stoops kicked him off the team. It wasn't be cause he screwed up, it was because he turned around and lied when caught.

They both have entitlement issues that their fathers seem to encourage.

I'm pretty sure that is not true.

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 08:42 PM

I'm pretty sure it is.

Wishboned
7/12/2011, 09:28 PM

Jim Tressel is out as the football coach at Ohio State, and the current series of scandals is only the latest, not the first, trouble Tressel encountered in Columbus. There was the Maurice Clarett case, in which the Buckeye star tailback was suspended for the 2003 season after receiving improper benefits, and, most interesting of all, the Troy Smith case.

FILE - In a March 30, 2011 file photo, Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel arrives at a news conference in Columbus, Ohio. Ohio State announced Monday, May 30, 2011 that Tressel has resigned as the NCAA investigates the Buckeyes for possible rules violations. Tressel says in a statement that he met with university officials and agreed that it is in Ohio State's best interest that he resign. The school says Luke Fickell, background right, an assistant head coach under Tressel, will serve as interim head coach for the 2011-2012 season.(AP Photo/Terry Gilliam, File)
Smith won the 2006 Heisman Trophy. But he was suspended late in the 2004 season for taking $500 from a booster. Smith was suspended for the Alamo Bowl against Oklahoma State and the 2005 season opener.
His infractions were similar to those of Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar, who was booted from the Sooner squad in August 2006. Bomar quarterbacked OU in 2005 but took money from Big Red Sports & Imports for work he did not perform.
OU coach Bob Stoops did not suspend Bomar. Stoops banished Bomar. Now, sources have said that when Stoops initially called in Bomar, he asked Bomar about the infractions and Bomar denied them. Stoops had the proof, confronted Bomar and sent him on his way.
What if Bomar had come clean? Would he have been given a suspension, ala Troy Smith, and been allowed to return to the team? Who knows?
Stoops generally has been lenient with players who have been charged with misdemeanors. Usually a one-game suspension. Things more serious — Ryan Broyles’ theft charges, for example — have resulted in a season-long suspension. But when major NCAA violations have occurred, mercy has been sparse.
Nobody knows how clean any football program really is. OU is no exception. But the outward appearances look better for the Sooners than they do the Buckeyes. When an Ohio State quarterback, a backup but with loads of potential, broke the rules, he stayed on the team. When an Oklahoma quarterback, a starter with loads of potential, broke the rules, he was gone.

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2011/05/30/jim-tressel-dont-forget-the-troy-smith-case/

OUMallen
7/12/2011, 09:34 PM

Mr. Bomar???

sooner59
7/12/2011, 10:41 PM
If this thread doesn't bring Leroy back to defend Adam and Craig James...he ain't coming back.

BigJerm7
7/13/2011, 08:19 AM
If you fire a former lawyer turned football coach hours before his bonus is due, you better be prepared for it to turn nasty. after all, he's out of a job now so he has nothing but time on his hands to dig that stuff up.

soonerchk
7/13/2011, 10:35 AM

CHK&WISHBONEPWNED!!!!!!!

SoonerofAlabama
7/13/2011, 10:43 AM

Dude, its okay. It happens to everyone, eventually. Getting chkpwned is just a part of life.

LASooner
7/13/2011, 12:25 PM
So the first line in the book....

Foreword
The Importance of Peeing on the Dog

badger
7/13/2011, 12:36 PM

Foreword

:D

Mississippi Sooner
7/13/2011, 12:38 PM

Foreword

Well, dang. That's got me intrigued right there.

Eielson
7/13/2011, 05:11 PM
CHK&WISHBONEPWNED!!!!!!!

When you have to announce that you "pwned" somebody, you usually didn't.

The kid put a historical program on probation, caused them to vacate a season of wins that included a bowl game victory (although this was appealed), made them lose scholarships...and you think he got in trouble for denying it? :O

northspeter
7/13/2011, 05:21 PM

The kid put a historical program on probation, caused them to vacate a season of wins that included a bowl game victory (although this was appealed), made them lose scholarships...and you think he got in trouble for denying it? :O

cut your losses....

OUTrumpet
7/13/2011, 05:36 PM
Pirate Mikey got screwed, but so did Tech's entire fanbase that had become accustomed to rattling OU's, UT's and A&M's cages for a decade.

2001: Beat Texas A&M
2002: Beat Texas A&M
2003: Beat Texas A&M
2005: Beat OU (not really) and Texas A&M
2006: Beat Texas A&M
2007: Beat OU and Texas A&M
2008: Beat Texas and Texas A&M
2009: Beat OU

There was no other Big 12 team I feared at home and on the road than Pirate Master Mikey's Air Raid offense. Fire Craig James, ESPN. He sucks at commentary anyway.

You left off several Texas victories that Tech had. I remember they beat Texas in 2002, which is why OU/Tech was for the South that year. Q ran all over their defense.

soonerchk
7/13/2011, 06:47 PM

My sources are obviously much better than yours because I just told you what happened. You go right on ahead and believe what you want. I could also tell you stories about how Bomar changed from the time he became a starter and the time he got kicked off the team, but you probably wouldn't believe that either.:pop:

cut your losses....

They never learn...

AlboSooner
7/13/2011, 07:45 PM
Chkpwned and 3gpwnd are part on Teh Internet. Cut your losses was good advice :D

Eielson
7/13/2011, 08:00 PM
My sources are obviously much better than yours because I just told you what happened. You go right on ahead and believe what you want.

So you really believe that if Bomar had come clean immediately that Stoops would have looked past the probation, the vacated wins, the scholarship losses, and the shame he brought upon the university? I suppose it's possible that you're right, but I personally think much more highly of Stoops.

Also, it should be noted that the Bomars did in fact admit that he made a mistake.

soonerchk
7/14/2011, 09:18 AM
So you really believe that if Bomar had come clean immediately that Stoops would have looked past the probation, the vacated wins, the scholarship losses, and the shame he brought upon the university? I suppose it's possible that you're right, but I personally think much more highly of Stoops.

Also, it should be noted that the Bomars did in fact admit that he made a mistake.

I know if he had not lied right to Bob Stoops' face he would have had a chance to return to the team. See Ryan Broyles for additional evidence.

Eielson
7/14/2011, 11:52 AM
I know if he had not lied right to Bob Stoops' face he would have had a chance to return to the team. See Ryan Broyles for additional evidence.

Broyles brought no punishments against the school. It's a completely different situation.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/14/2011, 12:50 PM
I believe Leach. I hope Tech falls back into football obscurity for how they handled this.

^^^ This. And with Tommy Tupperware at the helm, they will...

TheHumanAlphabet
7/14/2011, 01:05 PM

^^This, Scew eSPIN

soonerchk
7/14/2011, 02:39 PM
Broyles brought no punishments against the school. It's a completely different situation.

One lied and got kicked out, one admitted the error of his ways and was eventually reinstated.

Eielson
7/14/2011, 03:10 PM
...I'll just let you believe that's why it happened.

soonerchk
7/14/2011, 03:44 PM
...I'll just let you believe that's why it happened.

That's very sweet of you to let me believe the truth.

OutlandTrophy
7/14/2011, 04:06 PM
That's very sweet of you to let me believe the truth.

I think he's flirting with you.

soonerchk
7/14/2011, 05:39 PM
I think he's flirting with you.

I'll know he is when he tries to grab my nest.

101sooner
7/14/2011, 06:11 PM

It's ALWAYS the cover up that get's you.

soonerchk
7/14/2011, 06:29 PM

Indeed. Ask Jim Tressel how that worked out for him.

Whet
7/14/2011, 07:24 PM
Bruce Feldman suspended indefinitely by ESPN for helping Leach with his book

ESPN college football writer Bruce Feldman was suspended indefinitely during a conference call with three ESPN officials this morning. ESPN Vice President and Director of News Vince Doria ESPN THE MAGAZINE Editor-in-Chief & ESPN Books Editorial Director Gary Hoenig and ESPN.com Editor-in-Chief Pat Stiegman participated in the conference call and were behind the decision to punish Feldman.
Doria, Hoenig and Stiegman informed Feldman today that he has been banned from writing for any ESPN entity, is forbidden from appearing on any ESPN platform, is not allowed to Tweet from his Twitter account nor participate in any promotion of a recently-released book in which Feldman played a role.
Well before Mike Leach was terminated by Texas Tech in late 2009, Feldman had agreed in principle to assist the coach in compiling material for a Leach biography. That biography, in which Feldman was mostly charged with recording Leach’s first-person account of his life, was released this week with the title, Swing Your Sword.
Because of Leach’s acrimonious departure from Texas Tech, which allegedly stemmed from complaints about the coach’s alleged treatment of the son of ESPN college football analyst Craig James, Feldman’s participation in Swing Your Sword was not initially assured. Multiple management and editorial sources at ESPN have told me in recent months that Feldman would only participate in the Leach book project upon direct approval from ESPN management - which Feldman indeed received.
Since the book was released on Monday, Feldman has deliberately avoided any personal promotion or mention of the Leach book. (You will find no mention of the book on Feldman’s Twitter account and ESPN blog.)
Despite those facts, Feldman was told by Doria, Hoenig and Stiegman today that he was being suspended indefinitely for his participation in the Leach book.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/bruce-feldman-suspended-indefinitely-by-espn-29786

LASooner
7/14/2011, 08:58 PM
Wow, those ESPN guys are sharp. They approve his involvement with the book, then suspend him for his involvement with the book? I smell a departure, a job at SI and a lawsuit in Mr. Feldman's future.

picasso
7/14/2011, 09:05 PM
Maybe after he cleans out his desk he can kick Chris Berman in the junk on his way out.

northspeter
7/14/2011, 09:07 PM
ESPN Crashing Hard!!!!!! there bias is so obvious... they cant even pretend to hide it anymore....

silverwheels
7/14/2011, 09:08 PM
ESPN makes me sick. And yet they dominate the sports media market so for most sporting events I have to watch one of their channels. Ugh.

SoonerofAlabama
7/14/2011, 09:19 PM
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff472/SoonerofAlabama/mike-leach-cowboy-hat-o.gif

JLEW1818
7/14/2011, 09:47 PM
ESPN Suspends Bruce Feldman Indefinitely, Apparently Over Mike Leach Book

lol

owenfieldreams
7/15/2011, 07:20 AM
Does Rupert Murdock own this network as well? I can hardly wait until the FBI comes on set and cuffs Sean Hannity and Scott Van Pelt, simultaneously.

Eielson
7/15/2011, 08:01 AM

OU didn't cover up the Bomar situation, and we still lost scholarships and got put on probation.

delhalew
7/15/2011, 08:01 AM
Bruce Feldman suspended indefinitely by ESPN for helping Leach with his book

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/bruce-feldman-suspended-indefinitely-by-espn-29786

Well that's a new low.

MsProudSooner
7/15/2011, 09:41 AM
Well that's a new low.

Feldman needs to go to work for YahooSports.

Dio
7/15/2011, 09:45 AM
Between this travesty and their participation in the longhorn network, it might be time to suck it up and boycott ESPiN. Like anybody needs to hear about the Yankees and Red Sox 24/7 anyway.

cleller
7/15/2011, 11:25 AM
T Tech and ESPN both made the same mistake of picking a fight with someone smarter than them.

3rdgensooner
7/15/2011, 02:28 PM
ESPN has released a statement regarding Bruce Feldman (http://www.mediabistro.com/Bruce-Feldman-profile.html)‘s suspension, as reported first (http://www.mediabistro.com/sportsnewser/espn-suspends-bruce-feldman-for-contributing-to-mike-leach-book_b11833) by SportsByBrooks.com.
“There was never any suspension or any other form of disciplinary action. We took the time to review his upcoming work assignments in light of the book to which he contributed and will manage any conflicts or other issues as needed. Bruce has resumed his assignments.”

stoops the eternal pimp
7/15/2011, 03:00 PM
ESPN has released a statement regarding Bruce Feldman (http://www.mediabistro.com/Bruce-Feldman-profile.html)‘s suspension, as reported first (http://www.mediabistro.com/sportsnewser/espn-suspends-bruce-feldman-for-contributing-to-mike-leach-book_b11833) by SportsByBrooks.com.
“There was never any suspension or any other form of disciplinary action. We took the time to review his upcoming work assignments in light of the book to which he contributed and will manage any conflicts or other issues as needed. Bruce has resumed his assignments.”

If he was never suspended, why did he "resume" assignments?

sooner59
7/15/2011, 03:09 PM
ESPN for POTUS! Lies we can believe in! :D

Salt City Sooner
7/15/2011, 03:29 PM
If he was never suspended, why did he "resume" assignments?
THIS. I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that. Hard to resume that which was never interrupted.