PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to do with it, pawn it or sell it?

Lawton4Life
7/12/2011, 11:28 AM
I have watched a LOT of Pawn Stars...has anyone ever answered this question pawn it? Every one that I see the person is looking to sell said item.

Mississippi Sooner
7/12/2011, 11:30 AM
I have watched a LOT of Pawn Stars...has anyone ever answered this question pawn it? Every one that I see the person is looking to sell said item.

As a matter of fact, yes. On one episode a guy brought in an almost new Volvo big rig. He wanted to pawn it for $20,000. Rick let him do it.

dynersooner
and how come none of those tards have never heard of eBay or craigslist? or any number of other "for sale" message boards.

texaspokieokie

they probly already know the answer.

oumartin
7/12/2011, 11:35 AM
I've seen a couple of folks pawn stuff. Remember the Native American who brought in his flax bow. Wanted to pawn it for 80 bucks. He got 40. What grown man needs 40 bucks that bad?

StoopTroup
7/12/2011, 11:37 AM
and how come none of those tards have never heard of eBay or craigslist? or any number of other "for sale" message boards.

Somethings are better selling to someone that can connect a collector to your item. EBAY is a rip off and Craigslist is getting more and more dangerous. Real Auctions can be scary and some may not offer you a minimum Guarantee.....they start at Zero and start the bidding and then even if you don't get what you wanted for the item....you still owe the Auction house for selling your item.

lexsooner
7/12/2011, 11:42 AM
Is Chumlee as dumb as he looks?

Mississippi Sooner
7/12/2011, 11:44 AM

A lot of the time I think Chumlee is an actor who was put in for comic relief. A lot of the stuff he does just seems too set up.

StoopTroup
7/12/2011, 11:46 AM

I don't think he is.....I think there are some things he knows a lot about.

I'd bet he could manage one of those Pawn America Franchise pawn Shops. Could he be in the Business like The Harrison's? I doubt it.

dynersooner
7/12/2011, 11:47 AM
I don't think he is.....I think there are some things he knows a lot about.

I'd bet he could manage one of those Pawn America Franchise pawn Shops. Could he be in the Business like The Harrison's? I doubt it.

do you watch TV and post at the same time?

do you ever sleep???

edit: do oyu know suncoast sooner?

StoopTroup
7/12/2011, 11:48 AM

do you ever sleep???

I notice you are red again?

lexsooner
7/12/2011, 11:49 AM
A lot of the time I think Chumlee is an actor who was put in for comic relief. A lot of the stuff he does just seems too set up.

I'm not sure. Most of the show is contrived for sure, but Chumlee is supposed to be a grade school friend of Big Hoss. Chumlee does sometimes do negotiating for items under supervision, without any comedy. I suspect he is a real guy who is really not very bright and they play it up on the show. I liked the scene last night where he goes in to play with the antique bowling set the store purchased and he flings the ball so hard that it smashes into the top frame of the set and shatters the glass.

Mississippi Sooner
7/12/2011, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure. Most of the show is contrived for sure, but Chumlee is supposed to be a grade school friend of Big Hoss. Chumlee does sometimes do negotiating for items under supervision, without any comedy. I suspect he is a real guy who is really not very bright and they play it up on the show. I liked the scene last night where he goes in to play with the antique bowling set the store purchased and he flings the ball so hard that it smashes into the top frame of the set and shatters the glass.

Yep. It's things like that that make me think they set some of the stuff up. There was an episode where a guy came in and sold an actual ball and chain leg iron from the 1800's. As soon as Chumlee picked it up, I thought, "that thing is going to go through one of those glass display cases." Sure enough, that's what happened.

3rdgensooner
7/12/2011, 11:52 AM
It's a television show, people want to be on it, the owners make piles of money.

America, **** Yeah!

Mississippi Sooner
7/12/2011, 11:54 AM
It's a television show, people want to be on it, the owners make piles of money.

America, **** Yeah!

They really need to figure out a way to make a show about those of us who waste hours on message boards as part of our workday. Ratings gold.

GKeeper316
7/12/2011, 12:31 PM
I've seen a couple of folks pawn stuff. Remember the Native American who brought in his flax bow. Wanted to pawn it for 80 bucks. He got 40. What grown man needs 40 bucks that bad?

the store is in vegas, so lots of grown men need 40 bucks.

Lawton4Life
7/12/2011, 12:42 PM
And pawning means they'll hold the item for some period of time and if you pay back the money they gave you, you get your item back?

I've never pawned anything :)

WichitaSooner
7/12/2011, 12:45 PM
the store is in vegas, so lots of grown men need 40 bucks.

Exactly! It's quite obvious why some of these guys go in there... and the Harrisons are just making a TRUCKLOAD of cash... ON TOP of what the History Channel is even paying them.

Want proof? Last night they had the "Pick, Pawn, and Polish" set of shows that was 3 connected shows of American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and American Restoration. The Pickers got a Chevy 150 that Rick Harrison wanted for the Old Man... They got it for $5000, I believe.... then sold it to Rick Harrison for $7225... then restoration Rick charged Rick Harrison $70,000 (!!!) to do the full restoration on it.

When you are dropping almost $78,000 on a restored car for your Dad.... your LOADED....

Lawton4Life
7/12/2011, 12:48 PM
Exactly! It's quite obvious why some of these guys go in there... and the Harrisons are just making a TRUCKLOAD of cash... ON TOP of what the History Channel is even paying them.

Want proof? Last night they had the "Pick, Pawn, and Polish" set of shows that was 3 connected shows of American Pickers, Pawn Stars, and American Restoration. The Pickers got a Chevy 150 that Rick Harrison wanted for the Old Man... They got it for $5000, I believe.... then sold it to Rick Harrison for $7225... then restoration Rick charged Rick Harrison $70,000 (!!!) to do the full restoration on it.

When you are dropping almost $78,000 on a restored car for your Dad.... your LOADED....

Did you see the on where he dropped something like 120K on fixing up the busted helicopoter?

lexsooner
7/12/2011, 12:49 PM
And pawning means they'll hold the item for some period of time and if you pay back the money they gave you, you get your item back?

That's how it was done on a smaller scale before the days of credit cards and easy home mortgages. It has always been associated with tackiness, but I don't recall any pawn bubbles nearly destroying the world's economy.

mgsooner
7/12/2011, 01:03 PM
The fat kid got the lap band and lost a bunch of weight. Wonder if he got rid of the beetus too

Lawton4Life
7/12/2011, 01:17 PM
The fat kid got the lap band and lost a bunch of weight. Wonder if he got rid of the beetus too

Which fat kid..both Big Hoss and Chumlee are pretty large boys.

mgsooner
7/12/2011, 01:29 PM
BH...Chumlee would lose his comedic effect if he lost weight

salth2o
7/12/2011, 01:46 PM

do you ever sleep???

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Have you ever been to a Turkish prison?

texaspokieokie
7/12/2011, 06:00 PM

i pawned a left-handed drafting machine once when i was going back to CA, from Grand Prairie. had a very small car & no room for something i'd never use again. actually (being it was 40 yrs ago,) i'm not sure if i sold or pawned it.

the-rover
7/12/2011, 07:43 PM
Chumley makes the show. I loved the one where he was assigned to get Bob Dylan's autograph on an album cover. Of course it's staged, but the writers have to write something. They damn sure can't count on Big hoss to have any wits on his own.

boomerinhou
7/12/2011, 08:50 PM

Yes, you do get your item back, but remember, you not only have to pay the pawn store back what they lent you, but they also charge you interest. If you don't pay them back at the specified time in the agreement, the pawn store keeps the item.

Pawning is basically an expensive loan.