PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones is an idiot. I have proof.

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 10:01 AM
When Indiana Jones was trying to find the Lost Ark of the Covenant (where God keeps all his magic things), he found out he needed to have a stick of the right length atop which to put his Headpiece of the Staff of Ra in order to use it to find out where the Ark was buried. The Headpiece told Indiana Jones how long to make the stick, but he couldn't read the ancient Egyptian runes that said it. Therefore, Indiana Jones asked his Egyptian friend Sallah about his problem, and Sallah eventually took Indiana Jones to see his Egyptian friend, some old man who could translate the Headpiece. Well, that old man told Indiana Jones what the Headpiece was saying on it and the stick should be "Six kaddams height!" which Sallah says is about 72 inches (meaning that a kaddam is approximately a foot). Indiana Jones is pleased because now he knows to make the stick 6 feet tall. But wait! the old man wasn't finished! He turned the Headpiece over and read the other side which said to "take back one kaddam in honor of the Hebrew God whose Ark this is." This is a shocking twist because Indiana Jones's enemies, the Nazis, had a copy of the Headpiece, but it only had the writing from the first side owing to the fact that they had made it based on this one Nazi's burnt hand from trying to pick up the Headpiece when it was on fire. Anyway, that meant that the Nazis didn't know to take back the one foot from their staff, so their staff was the full 6 feet tall... "too long," said Indiana Jones. Indiana Jones and Sallah smirked and said in unison, "They're digging in the wrong place!" So all Indiana Jones had to do was to make his stick one foot shorter than that to find the right location to dig for the Ark. But then when he goes to the map room in Egypt carrying his stick, we can clearly see that his stick is even longer! It is at least a foot taller than Indiana Jones. Are we to believe that Indiana Jones is less than 4 feet tall? NO, he is a manly man, and short men (less than 6 feet) are never manly. Therefore, he must be stupid because he made the stick even longer than the Nazis. Now, some of you will say the stick had to have been the right length because Indiana Jones used the information obtained from the stick and the map room to find the Lost Ark. That was clearly a mistake of the filmmakers because the place where Indiana Jones ended up digging was not the actual resting place of the Lost Ark. It's actually known now that the Ark of the Covenant is somewhere in Ethiopia which is NOT IN EGYPT. :mad:

Lawton4Life
7/12/2011, 10:05 AM
Well, I for one, am glad we've cleared that up.

KantoSooner
7/12/2011, 10:05 AM
Which means that the ark is STILL THERE. Ima go get it and wait til RRS and then open it up on all those texicans and we're going to have a big time!

pphilfran
7/12/2011, 10:06 AM
Due to camera angle the stick only appears to be taller than Indiana...

sappstuf
7/12/2011, 10:07 AM
Which means that the ark is STILL THERE. Ima go get it and wait til RRS and then open it up on all those texicans and we're going to have a big time!

It is still there... What Indiana Jones found was the Hope Chest of Jesus.

The
7/12/2011, 10:17 AM
Visual Evidence:
http://images.wikia.com/indianajones/images/2/29/Staff_of_Ra.jpg

My Opinion Matters
7/12/2011, 10:18 AM
Due to camera angle the stick only appears to be taller than Indiana...

Incorrect. Elementary mathematics confirm the OP's suspicions. See as follows:

http://i51.tinypic.com/7162w0.gif

I bet you feel silly now! You've got the omelette all down your face and onto your clip-on tie!

jk the sooner fan
7/12/2011, 10:21 AM
well crap

this shakes up my entire belief system.....

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 10:21 AM
I have Indian Jones 4 on DVR and I'm positive it will explain the answer to this question. (don't spoil it for me, I'm watching it later tonight, or this weekend....I will watch it sometime)

jk the sooner fan
7/12/2011, 10:24 AM
Visual Evidence:
http://images.wikia.com/indianajones/images/2/29/Staff_of_Ra.jpg

whoa whoa whoa

that stick is on top of a rock or brick or some such - he is standing below the level/plane that the stick is resting on

we need more information first - like, how tall is that rock thing that the stick is resting on

soonerchk
I've lost my faith in humanity.

Turd_Ferguson
PXRX47L_3yE

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 10:25 AM
whoa whoa whoa

that stick is on top of a rock or brick or some such - he is standing below the level/plane that the stick is resting on

we need more information first - like, how tall is that rock thing that the stick is resting on

You mean the one he's standing on as well? About this high. (raises hand to this level off the floor) ((imagine what "this level" is. that's it!)

Turd_Ferguson
7/12/2011, 10:25 AM
ZqJruyfFzUA

jk the sooner fan
7/12/2011, 10:26 AM
no he is clearly NOT standing on that (points down at imaginary rock thats about "this high")

pphilfran

I bet you feel silly now! You've got the omelette all down your face and onto your clip-on tie!

Crap...I was using the wrong denominator...

Turd_Ferguson
L1bXZbhXHJs

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 10:27 AM
The stick is not resting on the rock. It's poked down into a hole on the rock, costing it another six inches of height. (That is, it's even longer than it looks.)

jk the sooner fan
7/12/2011, 10:27 AM
i am not convinced

The
7/12/2011, 10:28 AM
whoa whoa whoa

Incorrect. From another angle:

http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/gallery/dvdscreenshots/220.jpg

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 10:29 AM
The stick is not resting on the rock. It's poked down into a hole on the rock, costing it another six inches of height. (That is, it's even longer than it looks.)

So we all agree then that Indiana Jones is roughly 3'6?

I wonder how tall Harrison Ford is real life?

pphilfran
7/12/2011, 10:30 AM

Not enough evidence...you cannot see the bottom of the pole in that picture...he could be holding it above ground level...

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 10:30 AM
i am not convinced

It's true. When Indiana Jones goes to the map room, he crawls around on the floor looking at all these little holes, trying to figure out which one is the right hole to use. Indiana Jones flips through his little book where he had written down which hole was the right one and then he brushes the sand out of the hole. Then he gets his stick and pushes it down into the hole and we clearly see at least six inches (half of a kaddam) of it disappear into the little hole. The stick is really long.

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 10:32 AM
Not enough evidence...you cannot see the bottom of the pole in that picture...he could be holding it above ground level...

No, he put the stick in the hole. There is a series of little holes. One of them he put the stick in.

pphilfran
7/12/2011, 10:33 AM
No, he put the stick in the hole. There is a series of little holes. One of them he put the stick in.

Can't see it in that picture...do you happen to have a video stream I could view?

dynersooner
7/12/2011, 10:34 AM
FCUKING A, THURM!!!

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 10:39 AM

Thank you The.

**** you jk, nicely.

jk the sooner fan
7/12/2011, 10:43 AM
you shut your lying whore mouth

that is all photo shopped

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 10:44 AM
Can't see it in that picture...do you happen to have a video stream I could view?

We can clearly see that the beam of light is shooting out of the headpiece at the map telling Indiana Jones where to dig. If Indiana Jones is holding the stick above ground level, that would mean he made the stick too short because the Headpiece doesn't know how tall Indiana Jones is so it can't account for where he would hold the stick. It has to work on the assumption that Indiana Jones is going to put the stick in one of the holes when it tells him what height to make. He should have made the stick so it would reach the ground and still be at the right height to have that beam of light where it is. Honestly you people will go to the craziest lengths to justify Indiana Jones's stupidity. :mad:

The
7/12/2011, 10:44 AM
you shut your lying whore mouth

that is all photo shopped

Face it jk, there is no god.

Lawton4Life
7/12/2011, 10:46 AM
Well now I'm worried that we DIDNT solve this one. Crapola. Someone make it official before the weekend ok?

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 10:47 AM
Face it jk, there is no god.

Wait, I thought we were proving Indie's math skillz were of a military grunt level? I'm confused.

3rdgensooner
7/12/2011, 10:50 AM
You're just figuring all of this out? Geez you people are slow.

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 10:54 AM

Looks to me like he's holding the stick up off the ground which opens a whole new set of questions. How does he know how high to hold the stick? Just high enough for the light to hit it or what?

oumartin
7/12/2011, 10:57 AM
is anyone in hollywood over 4'5" other than Darryl Hannah?

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 10:59 AM
Looks to me like he's holding the stick up off the ground which opens a whole new set of questions. How does he know how high to hold the stick? Just high enough for the light to hit it or what?

And how does he know there's not another foot of sand inbedded in the bottom of that hole after 4 million years of sitting there untouched? He blows on it a few times and that's scientific enough to warrant a new dig site. This movie is riddled error and should be labeled as fiction.

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 11:03 AM
And how does he know there's not another foot of sand inbedded in the bottom of that hole after 4 million years of sitting there untouched? He blows on it a few times and that's scientific enough to warrant a new dig site. This movie is riddled error and should be labeled as fiction.

History Channel needs to do an investigation on this for Reel Life vs Real Life.

pphilfran
7/12/2011, 11:04 AM
We can clearly see that the beam of light is shooting out of the headpiece at the map telling Indiana Jones where to dig. If Indiana Jones is holding the stick above ground level, that would mean he made the stick too short because the Headpiece doesn't know how tall Indiana Jones is so it can't account for where he would hold the stick. It has to work on the assumption that Indiana Jones is going to put the stick in one of the holes when it tells him what height to make. He should have made the stick so it would reach the ground and still be at the right height to have that beam of light where it is. Honestly you people will go to the craziest lengths to justify Indiana Jones's stupidity. :mad:

Then I bet it is one of those Ronco Telescoping Beam Alignment Rods...

Mississippi Sooner
7/12/2011, 11:05 AM
History Channel needs to do an investigation on this for Reel Life vs Real Life.

You can bet they'll find a way to link it to World War II.

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 11:05 AM
How did Indiana Jones know how thick to make the stick to fit in the hole? That issue wasn't even addressed by the Headpiece of the Staff of Ra.

The
7/12/2011, 11:06 AM

History Channel is now the Jobs Channel.

They'll link it to Ice Road Truckers or Larry the Cable Guy.

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 11:06 AM

Freemasons. Mark it down!

How did Indiana Jones know how thick to make the stick to fit in the hole? That issue wasn't even addressed by the Headpiece of the Staff of Ra.

Does the width matter or is it more about how it's used?

Mississippi Sooner
7/12/2011, 11:07 AM

That's true. Or take it to Pawn Stars and find out it's real worth, and then the Pawn Stars guy will take it and have it restored.

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 11:10 AM

No, they've just realized that real history is the history that's made every day by people just like you.

OutlandTrophy
7/12/2011, 11:11 AM
are you guys remembering to use the correct conversion factor?

The
7/12/2011, 11:11 AM
No, they've just realized that real history is the history that's made every day by people just like you.

They should make a show about message board posters and their foibles and tribulations.

jk the sooner fan
7/12/2011, 11:13 AM
lets not forget that camera's add 10 pounds and 12 inches to all objects portrayed thru the lens

KantoSooner
7/12/2011, 11:24 AM
1) Has anyone calculated Indiana Jones mass delta from that of the average Ancient Egyptian and whether that would cause the light to bend enough to change its point of incidence with the map?

2) Has this whole issue been fact checked by Jesse Ventura?

dynersooner
7/12/2011, 11:29 AM
ok, heres what i neevr understood. that rod was only supposed to be 5ft tall, but in the movie, its like, 7ft tall. when me and my buddies were about 9yrs old, we started down that path, and have yet ot get a reasonable explinatoin. kind of like me and my red spek. (oh wait, nm. i got that explanatoin.)

Canyonero
7/12/2011, 11:34 AM

I'm guessing the head piece also gave the staffs T.M.I. ,width, etc with the Yaw being 90 degrees. Dr. Jones just solved for girth. That doesn't explain how Indiana is less than 4ft tall though.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/4/c/b/4cbbfbabd376abfe4ddfeb9a9cd1d9f6.png
Length times Girth over Angle of the Shaft (aka YAW) divided by mass over WIDTH

jk the sooner fan
7/12/2011, 11:38 AM
how tall is the stick without the head piece on it?

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 11:39 AM
Socali, can you go stand by Indiana Jones so we can determine if he is in fact a midget?

SoonerHoops
7/12/2011, 11:40 AM

Wouldn't be that hard, considering Indiana's enemies were the Nazis....

DIB
7/12/2011, 11:42 AM
Wouldn't be that hard, considering Indiana's enemies were the Nazis....

SoonerHoopsDawg0wn3d!!!!!!

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 11:43 AM
Can't believe my Freemasons comment has been completely overlooked.

I'll be over here pouting in the corner.

The
7/12/2011, 11:44 AM

I just peed in that corner.

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 11:45 AM
I just peed in that corner.

I'm taking my eggs and going to the conference room.

dynersooner
7/12/2011, 11:45 AM

lay some eggs whilst youR over there.

SanJoaquinSooner
7/12/2011, 12:36 PM

Indiana must have been absent the day his insructor covered the principle of least squares.

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 12:43 PM
how tall is the stick without the head piece on it?

The Headpiece fits in the palm of Marion Ravenwood's hand. Marion Ravenwood's hand is smaller than Indiana Jones's hand. If the Headpiece is contributing a significant amount of length to the stick, then we must assume that Indiana Jones's hand is extremely large, forcing him to be even taller to preserve the proportions that we see in his body. That means that the stick must be even longer in comparison! :mad:

jk the sooner fan
7/12/2011, 12:45 PM
maybe "foot" in egypt means something different than it does here

did you ever think of THAT!?

sappstuf
7/12/2011, 12:45 PM
The Headpiece fits in the palm of Marion Ravenwood's hand. Marion Ravenwood's hand is smaller than Indiana Jones's hand. If the Headpiece is contributing a significant amount of length to the stick, then we must assume that Indiana Jones's hand is extremely large, forcing him to be even taller to preserve the proportions that we see in his body. That means that the stick must be even longer in comparison! :mad:

But then how could he fit in that fridge??

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 12:52 PM
But then how could he fit in that fridge??

Indiana Jones took out all the shelves so he could fit in the fridge.

sooner59
7/12/2011, 01:02 PM
Indiana Jones 5. Yeah. That's right. Its happening.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/11/09/harrison-ford-indiana-jones-5-george-lucas/

StoopTroup
7/12/2011, 01:11 PM
6....when it's about his Childhood and about his Father's obsession to find the Grail will be better as it won't have Harrison Ford in it....just some new young star that might have looked like a young Indy as he grew apart from his Father but really became just an angry carbon copy of his Father....

That's the one I'm waiting for as it's in 3D

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 01:59 PM
6....when it's about his Childhood and about his Father's obsession to find the Grail will be better as it won't have Harrison Ford in it....just some new young star that might have looked like a young Indy as he grew apart from his Father but really became just an angry carbon copy of his Father....

That's the one I'm waiting for as it's in 3D

Why would you want to see that when its already a movie Indiana Jones 3: the Lost crusade. You would Want just retreads of a story all ready implicit in a other movie (like the godfater II: return of Michael corlione) that seems like a Waist of our taxpayers dollars that could of been Used to make a REAL Indiana Jones 6: Indiana Jones and the Abombable snow Man (yeti). The monster could be done with Computers to make it look more real and Indiana jones could fight it with his Whip like is his specialty, lmao sure, he's older by then and has a Bad back but they have pills for that now to make it so he could still Fight the yetti whis his whp. maybe even have Flashbacks to when his Father took him on an expedition to the himilayans to visit the village of yetti Worshippers who he'd need to make friends with to help him on his Journey. Also the chinese Communists would be after the snowman so they would have it to conqer the World with the red communism, indiana Jones are my favorite movies, lol, which is yours?

DIB
7/12/2011, 02:07 PM
Or you could just watch Young Indy
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cHLxbG2iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 02:14 PM
Or you could just watch Young Indy
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cHLxbG2iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I remember smoking out on Sunday mornings watching that. good times.

ON EDIT: that doesn't sound good now that I've reread it.

KantoSooner
7/12/2011, 02:49 PM
As the series ages Indy, will we 'get' to see him and Karen Allen doing the wild thing as octogenarians?

I'm simply interested to see if Karen can hold it together another 20-25 years. Purely scientific interest.

Penguin
7/12/2011, 02:53 PM
So, wait a minute. If that wasn't the Arc of the Convent on the Indiana Jones movie, then what the hell was it???? It was a gold box full of ghosts and Nazi-killing lightning. That matches the Bible's description! Explain that.

KantoSooner
7/12/2011, 04:04 PM
Well, A lunch box might not be THE lunch box, you see? It's highly likely that damn near everyone had an ark back in biblical times. You had, for instance, the Ark of Bob, which just emitted really bad smells. The Ark of Odin, on the contrary was kick *** and almost as good as God's Ark.
So, Indy had a good ark, but maybe not as good as it might have been.

Jacie
7/12/2011, 04:20 PM
Read about all of the goofs in Raiders of the Lost Ark:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082971/goofs

SoonerDude
7/12/2011, 04:28 PM
When Indiana Jones was trying to find the Lost Ark of the Covenant (where God keeps all his magic things), he found out he needed to have a stick of the right length atop which to put his Headpiece of the Staff of Ra in order to use it to find out where the Ark was buried. The Headpiece told Indiana Jones how long to make the stick, but he couldn't read the ancient Egyptian runes that said it. Therefore, Indiana Jones asked his Egyptian friend Sallah about his problem, and Sallah eventually took Indiana Jones to see his Egyptian friend, some old man who could translate the Headpiece. Well, that old man told Indiana Jones what the Headpiece was saying on it and the stick should be "Six kaddams height!" which Sallah says is about 72 inches (meaning that a kaddam is approximately a foot). Indiana Jones is pleased because now he knows to make the stick 6 feet tall. But wait! the old man wasn't finished! He turned the Headpiece over and read the other side which said to "take back one kaddam in honor of the Hebrew God whose Ark this is." This is a shocking twist because Indiana Jones's enemies, the Nazis, had a copy of the Headpiece, but it only had the writing from the first side owing to the fact that they had made it based on this one Nazi's burnt hand from trying to pick up the Headpiece when it was on fire. Anyway, that meant that the Nazis didn't know to take back the one foot from their staff, so their staff was the full 6 feet tall... "too long," said Indiana Jones. Indiana Jones and Sallah smirked and said in unison, "They're digging in the wrong place!" So all Indiana Jones had to do was to make his stick one foot shorter than that to find the right location to dig for the Ark. But then when he goes to the map room in Egypt carrying his stick, we can clearly see that his stick is even longer! It is at least a foot taller than Indiana Jones. Are we to believe that Indiana Jones is less than 4 feet tall? NO, he is a manly man, and short men (less than 6 feet) are never manly. Therefore, he must be stupid because he made the stick even longer than the Nazis. Now, some of you will say the stick had to have been the right length because Indiana Jones used the information obtained from the stick and the map room to find the Lost Ark. That was clearly a mistake of the filmmakers because the place where Indiana Jones ended up digging was not the actual resting place of the Lost Ark. It's actually known now that the Ark of the Covenant is somewhere in Ethiopia which is NOT IN EGYPT. :mad:

I liked you better when you sang songs.

StoopTroup
7/12/2011, 04:35 PM
Why would you want to see that when its already a movie Indiana Jones 3: the Lost crusade.

Harrison Ford is in it. It needs to be done with real actors.

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 04:51 PM
I liked you better when you sang songs.

To each his own.

bpQaIWOgD2k

The
7/12/2011, 04:52 PM
To each his own.

bpQaIWOgD2k

This is the "Jesus Left Chicago" of our generation.

StoopTroup
7/12/2011, 04:57 PM
More proof Xanax has been over prescribed in the US.

The
7/12/2011, 04:59 PM

What the hell are you talking about?

Chuck Bao
7/12/2011, 05:10 PM
I liked the one about Shiva's penis better. Indie returned the linga home and there was sunshine and flowers and a happy ending.

Penguin
7/12/2011, 05:13 PM

This is why I don't remember 2003-2010.

AlboSooner
7/12/2011, 06:23 PM
very nice trollasting

the-rover
7/12/2011, 07:33 PM
Is it possible the old man screwed up his lines, and he was supposed to say "add" one Kaddam, instead of "take back"??
You would think that to honor the Hebrew God, as he said, you would give him something, instead of taking away.

C&CDean
7/12/2011, 07:52 PM
I ain't reading this POS thread, however, I will state that I have never, ever, ONCE, ever seen an Indiana Jones movie in it's entirety. Every single one has put me to sleep damn near instantaneously. Weird.

usmc-sooner
7/12/2011, 07:59 PM
I ain't reading this POS thread, however, I will state that I have never, ever, ONCE, ever seen an Indiana Jones movie in it's entirety. Every single one has put me to sleep damn near instantaneously. Weird.

but them Harry Potter movies do it for you? :D

GDC
7/12/2011, 08:27 PM
RMF4Bg8oFxg

OUmillenium
7/12/2011, 09:53 PM
Harry Potter....never
Twilight...kill me instead

LOTR and Indiana Jones...Yes Please!

OUmillenium
7/12/2011, 09:54 PM

This is fascinating stuff if you research it. So is the location of another Ark...Noah's, but you gotta do the research.