PDA

View Full Version : If Antiques Roadshow Came Through, What Personal Items Would You Bring Them?

lexsooner
7/12/2011, 09:56 AM
I have a couple of Civil War belt buckles, some old coins, and that's about it.

Mississippi Sooner
7/12/2011, 10:02 AM
I have an authenticated Civil War camel toe mounted on a hand spun wormhole and laced with red spec.

NormanPride
7/12/2011, 10:41 AM
The fact that you have it laced with red spec, which is inferior to the original red spek, makes this less valuable. It is still a beautiful piece and a great find.

Mississippi Sooner
7/12/2011, 10:45 AM
The fact that you have it laced with red spec, which is inferior to the original red spek, makes this less valuable. It is still a beautiful piece and a great find.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at it. It's a precious heirloom to my family and means so much more to us than any dollar amount.

Boomer.....
7/12/2011, 10:49 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to look at it. It's a precious heirloom to my family and means so much more to us than any dollar amount.

I'll give you tree-fiddy and an empty can of skoal for it.

Chuck Bao
7/12/2011, 12:52 PM
I got into a very, very bad and unfortunate hobby of collecting 19th century books. I bought them at the weekend market in Bangkok and gave them to my mom and rest of the family. We actually enjoyed reading through some of them but that wasn't probably a good idea for actual collectors. They should be in some environment controlled room or in a sock drawer or something else.

On the other hand, I think it has to be one of the stupidest hobbies ever. If you buy books, you should be able to read them, right?

My family Bible written in that old German with Gothic text that they brought over to the US in 1860 is in my bank safety deposit box. I would assume that the environment in there would be favorable for preservation. I used to work at that bank and the bank vault was cool year round.

No, I wouldn't sell that Bible for anything.

NormanPride
7/12/2011, 12:57 PM
Humidity is your main concern with books I would think.

lexsooner
7/12/2011, 01:10 PM
On the other hand, I think it has to be one of the stupidest hobbies ever. If you buy books, you should be able to read them, right?

There is no accounting for why some folks have certain hobbies. I have a minor coin collecting hobby. I have a small collection, and I am mostly interested in world coins which have some historical significance, since I am a history buff. So, I have coins from Nazi Germany, a couple of ship wreck coins, N/S Vietnamese coins, a few Morgans, some ancient coins from China, Japan, Rome, Russia, and others. I display nearly my whole small but diverse collection. I don't understand numismatics who have large collections but keep them in albums put away on shelves or in cabinets. I see no point in collecting interesting coins if you don't display them for your enjoyment and that of others.

WichitaSooner
7/12/2011, 01:38 PM
I don't really have a "collection" per se... I have a few cool pocket knives... but, they aren't worth more than their ability to shiv fools...

Oh, and I have been collecting Polk Audio speakers in my living room... but, those don't bring much at auction...

I can see the roadshow episode now.... "Well this Polk Audio subwoofer usually sells for roughly $400 from Amazon... BUT, if you were to sell it at Best Buy, it could go for as much as twice that amount. Thank you for bringing this in... it was a real treat."

Sooner Mommy
7/12/2011, 03:06 PM
A rusty spatula from my kitchen drawer

GKeeper316
7/12/2011, 03:10 PM
my old toenail clippings. cuz my dna is priceless and should be a national treasure.

Scott D
7/12/2011, 04:20 PM
rlimc and soonercruiser...those antiques have to be worth a lot. ;)

SicEmBaylor
7/12/2011, 04:58 PM
I have an authenticated War of Northern Aggression camel toe mounted on a hand spun wormhole and laced with red spec.

FIFY.

KABOOKIE
7/12/2011, 05:24 PM
FIFY.

Yes because the war of southern aggression got it's *** whooped so bad at Gettysburg it failed to have any relevance in history.