PDA

View Full Version : Through the worm hole

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 09:15 AM
How many of you ever watch Morgan Freeman's "Through the worm hole"? (I know you do Thaum, thanks)

Watched the episode "Does Time Exist" (or somesuch) late last night. Consider my mind relatively blown. I welcome any conversation on the subject and any conversation not on the subject.

DIB
7/12/2011, 09:18 AM
I watched an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force that did not blow my mind, but might have, if I was on shrooms. Does that help?

Romulus
7/12/2011, 09:19 AM
Does Morgan narrate throughout the movie?
If so I think I've seen it

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 09:19 AM
I watched an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force that did not blow my mind, but might have, if I was on shrooms. Does that help?

'shrooms always helps. Unless you go for too much at once, then it just makes you paranoid. What was the question?

The
7/12/2011, 09:21 AM
AaEmCFiNqP0

thecynic
7/12/2011, 09:25 AM
Is that the one about penguins? If so I haven't seen it, if not, I haven't seen it either.

sappstuf
7/12/2011, 09:29 AM
How many of you ever watch Morgan Freeman's "Through the worm hole"? (I know you do Thaum, thanks)

Watched the episode "Does Time Exist" (or somesuch) late last night. Consider my mind relatively blown. I welcome any conversation on the subject and any conversation not on the subject.

I saw the one before it talking about that the universe might be finite versus infinite and signs of another universe next to ours.

It does get very deep.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 09:31 AM
I saw the one before it talking about that the universe might be finite versus infinite and signs of another universe next to ours.

It does get very deep.

I saw that one as well a while ago. I'm really glad I didn't see these on 'shrooms. Heavy Metal was strange enough "back in the day".

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 09:32 AM

That is a lie and you are a liar.

I don't watch Morgan Freeman things anymore. The man has very, very limited acting ability.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 09:35 AM
That is a lie and you are a liar.

I don't watch Morgan Freeman things anymore. The man has very, very limited acting ability.

I'll call your bluff, you've seen them all in their entirety haven't you.

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 09:41 AM
I'll call your bluff, you've seen them all in their entirety haven't you.

I have seen other Morgan Freeman things but, no, none of his worm holes.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 09:43 AM

MODS, please close this thread as it's sole purpose was to draw Thaum into the daylight to discuss this.

wizards are so confusing.

The
7/12/2011, 09:43 AM

You must join the Omelet Posse.

We need a wizard.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 09:46 AM

We need a wizard.

yes, this.

stevo
i read this national geographic article the other day about guinea worms. they make a hole and crawl out of your body. it was soooo grossss

does that count? i want to be friends with you guys. please?

DIB

Driving Miss Einstein-Rosen Bridge?

Thaumaturge
7/12/2011, 10:05 AM

We need a wizard.

Is there an entrance exam or quest?

The
7/12/2011, 10:15 AM
Is there an entrance exam or quest?

Please PM Myopma for all inquiries.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 10:18 AM
i read this national geographic article the other day about guinea worms. they make a hole and crawl out of your body. it was soooo grossss

does that count? i want to be friends with you guys. please?

show us your worm hole and urine.

(that was quite disgusting to even type)

The
7/12/2011, 10:18 AM
show us your worm hole and your in.

(that was quite disgusting to even type)

I feel worse for having read it.

stevo
7/12/2011, 10:19 AM
*silent*

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 10:23 AM
*silent*

If you're going to be like that you can join. Just stay quiet like a good woman should.

(wow, channeling my inner drewke felt pretty good.)

stevo
7/12/2011, 10:23 AM
b*tch pleeeease!

*goes back to pick up dishes*

My Opinion Matters
7/12/2011, 10:32 AM
Please PM Myopma for all inquiries.

Still waiting. Obviously, this is just a joke to some people.

Chuck Bao
7/12/2011, 01:17 PM
Well, you also snagged me. This is my catnip and my kryptonite. If Morgan Freeman is narrating it, I would do anything for him. Anything.

Maybe in a few months, it will be broadcast in Asia.

It is all theoretic and the energy required to open a wormhole is so much and the pressure on any living person so much that it will likely remain just a fun thought exercise.

Of course, Ike, who is our resident genius mad theoretic scientist will know a lot more.

I was watching some Discover/History/whatever program about aliens and they concluded that any alien contact would have to be android since no organic matter that we know about could handle the crushing weight of acceleration and deceleration of intra-stellar travel if some alien species did figure out how to approach near the speed of light. Maybe the short-cut would be wormholes, but it seems the crushing part is still there.

Besides that, I still want to go on a date with Morgan Freeman.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 02:09 PM
Well, you also snagged me. This is my catnip and my kryptonite. If Morgan Freeman is narrating it, I would do anything for him. Anything.

Maybe in a few months, it will be broadcast in Asia.

It is all theoretic and the energy required to open a wormhole is so much and the pressure on any living person so much that it will likely remain just a fun thought exercise.

Of course, Ike, who is our resident genius mad theoretic scientist will know a lot more.

I was watching some Discover/History/whatever program about aliens and they concluded that any alien contact would have to be android since no organic matter that we know about could handle the crushing weight of acceleration and deceleration of intra-stellar travel if some alien species did figure out how to approach near the speed of light. Maybe the short-cut would be wormholes, but it seems the crushing part is still there.

Besides that, I still want to go on a date with Morgan Freeman.

Nice, last night's "Does time exist" was talking about how time is relative between individuals and that statistics showed relative time speeds up the older you get. (which is why kids think things take "forever" when a 60 year old feels time just flew by). How your brain hears something faster than you see it (or vice versa?) but somehow puts it together for you at the same time. How we are all really living in the past every second because our brains can't instantly process. How schitzo's may actually have a time issue, meaning they might think they moved a chair but their brains don't show that the chair moved. or their brain might show the chair moved but not that they actually moved it.

basic question was: is time the heartbeat of the universe or does the universe control time? Basically trying to look inside the mind of god. Ended in string theory and the possibility of an infinite universes/yous, like a "choose your adventure" book. Fun stuff.

Peach Fuzz
7/12/2011, 02:38 PM
I've watched every episode. I really enjoy this show, even though much of it is theories I don't think are real.

On the subject of traveling near the speed of light (186k miles per second), they say the people that would be traveling actually experience slowed space-time. For instance, if you were traveling to the nearest star (4.2 light years) at near the SoL, it would take a little over 4.2 years to get there, all the while back at home the passing of time would have been 10 years... what??

Also, they say *if* one was to journey across the visible universe (13.7 billion light years), then only roughly 100 years would have passed relative to the traveler. Again, what??

GDC
7/12/2011, 06:47 PM
He owns some bars too.

http://www.groundzerobluesclub.com/

OUmillenium
7/12/2011, 09:57 PM

I caught about 30 min of this episode. Loved the explanation of GPS being "time based."

They were running a marathon about a week ago, I will have to check it out. I generally don't believe in time travel but they had some sound reasoning in the part I saw. I do love Back to the Future pt 1, though.

sooner59
7/12/2011, 11:30 PM
I have seen all of them. I have them all DVR'd. I love this type of stuff. Even if there isn't any solid facts, there is a lot of theory that makes sense, and there is a lot of experimenting that opens eyes and asks questions. Since you just saw the "does time exist?" episode and are fascinated by time changing with age, strap this on:

I watched a similar show about the universe/time before this show first aired. It had to do with the size of objects and how gravity changes with the size of an object. As you know, the gravity on the moon is weaker than on Earth and is greater on, say, Jupiter than on Earth...and way more massive at a black hole.

This tied gravity into time. Scientists have done many studies and their results suggest that time changes with gravity. Apparently, the stronger the gravity near an object, the slower time moves near that object. This explains why it is widely believed that time slows tremendously near the event horizon of a black hole.

Here on Earth, for this particular show, they performed a mini experiment with the Great Pyramid at Giza. I don't remember the specifics of the experiment, but they basically had something timed near the pyramid from far away, while at the same time, timing it from immediately next to the pyramid. The results suggested that the perception of time was slightly slower when near the pyramid.

So it makes you wonder at time. Does time really exist? Is time perceived differently all across the universe?

If time is going really slow...do you happen to be near something with a large amount of gravity? Or maybe you are just high at the moment. :D

tator
7/13/2011, 09:33 AM
Maybe you're heavier when you're high.

I took the bait on this thread and watched the first episode of the first season last night "is there a Creator". I'll be watching the rest.

I liked the guy that can strap a magnet onto the right side of your head and give you a "god experience". It reiterates what I've believed for a while now.

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/13/2011, 09:41 AM
It's a great show as long as you aren't close minded

Mississippi Sooner
7/13/2011, 09:49 AM
He owns some bars too.

http://www.groundzerobluesclub.com/

The original Ground Zero in Clarksville is one of the coolest places on the planet.

soonercruiser
7/13/2011, 09:52 AM
That means that probably Morgan Freeman will get a Nobel Prize in science.
(Boy! I hope BHO doesn't feel miffed!)
:D

The
7/13/2011, 09:54 AM
That means that probably Morgan Freeman will get a Nobel Prize in science.
(Boy! I hope BHO doesn't feel miffed!)
:D

Out of all of the people on the entire internet, you are the craziest. Crazier than the pickle jar guy and that one guy that really liked Barbaro.

OhU1
7/13/2011, 11:46 AM
I've watched every episode. I really enjoy this show, even though much of it is theories I don't think are real.

On the subject of traveling near the speed of light (186k miles per second), they say the people that would be traveling actually experience slowed space-time. For instance, if you were traveling to the nearest star (4.2 light years) at near the SoL, it would take a little over 4.2 years to get there, all the while back at home the passing of time would have been 10 years... what??

Also, they say *if* one was to journey across the visible universe (13.7 billion light years), then only roughly 100 years would have passed relative to the traveler. Again, what??

This is Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity from 1905. It has been experimentally verified. GPS would not work without the precise calculations of factoring in relativity. It really is mind blowing, and, like much of science, counter intuitive to "common sense".

My layman's understanding of relativity is that the closer you get to the speed of light (on the realm of > 99.xxxx%) the greater the magnitude of time dilation. The reason for the smaller time dilation for the 4 light year trip is the traveler would take quite some time to accelerate to the 99.99xxx% level and also have to decelerate on the way back so the time spent near the speed of light would be small. Near the speed of light time virtually stops relative to the observer back on Earth.

sooner59
7/13/2011, 11:50 AM
I wonder if we will ever be able to bend space-time to travel quickly across large distances instead of thrusting through space-time. I'm sure if it is ever found to be possible, there will be some new laws of physics that we haven't discovered yet.

MR2-Sooner86
7/13/2011, 12:24 PM
I wonder if we will ever be able to bend space-time to travel quickly across large distances instead of thrusting through space-time. I'm sure if it is ever found to be possible, there will be some new laws of physics that we haven't discovered yet.

Well Zefram Cochrane won't be born until 2013 so we have a while to wait.

Mississippi Sooner
7/13/2011, 12:27 PM
Time is what the clock says. I hate clocks.

Thaumaturge
7/13/2011, 07:42 PM
I saw this on today, so I watched an episode to see how it was. There was some computer dork saying that in 50 years, we'd be able to run computer simulations of the entire universe and that, therefore, in all probability, we ourselves are mere computer simulations programmed by ourselves from the future.

I'm convinced.

Chuck Bao
7/13/2011, 08:28 PM
I saw this on today, so I watched an episode to see how it was. There was some computer dork saying that in 50 years, we'd be able to run computer simulations of the entire universe and that, therefore, in all probability, we ourselves are mere computer simulations programmed by ourselves from the future.

I'm convinced.

Wow! Whoever wrote a program that simulated me is a real piece of work.

Before, I was quite happy, going along thinking that I had free choice in a Kierkegaard existentialism sort of way.

That program thing would just make me mad and full on hate against that programmer God dude.

Peach Fuzz
7/14/2011, 12:58 AM
Me thinks the person that simulated it is God.

I believe in most of the things that scientists have come up with about the big bang and all, but I disagree that the big bang came from a ripple in absolute nothing. This is where I think God came in at.

I don't think we're meant to ever know what happened. To me that's fine because shows like this keep me interested.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/14/2011, 10:05 AM

Off topic: what's the deal with his left hand? He always has it in his pocket, never shows it. Last year he had some skin colored glove covering the hand.

Thaumaturge
7/14/2011, 11:34 AM
Off topic: what's the deal with his left hand? He always has it in his pocket, never shows it. Last year he had some skin colored glove covering the hand.

It might be a skeleton hand. There have been persistent rumors that Morgan Freeman is a lich. Look at all the clues.