PDA

View Full Version : Add a Fleming lose a "Hammer"?

soonerboy_odanorth
7/11/2011, 04:07 PM
Our friends at the OU Rivals.com site posted an all-access insider Q&A where they intimated that Ronnel Lewis has serious grade issues, in addition to not having been happy about the the way he was getting moved around on D last year (which I believe was pretty well covered in the main outlets.)

It was my take reading the article, without the author flat-out stating so, that what was implied was Lewis might not be with the team this Fall.

So... enquiring minds... what have you heard and is there any traction to this?

NormanPride
7/11/2011, 04:10 PM
Traction, yes. Doom and gloom, maybe. Potential for him being on the team, also yes.

sooner518
7/11/2011, 04:15 PM
we've known for weeks, if not months, that he has had issues in the classroom. is there any new news on this? or are we basically just waiting for his summer grades to come in? .....

Boomer.....
7/11/2011, 04:27 PM
Check here:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156173&highlight=hammer

MojoRisen
7/11/2011, 04:27 PM
The guy could be the next LT- get your damn grades up and be happy!

Chiliman
7/11/2011, 04:40 PM
Grow up Ronnell. Not happy? He was given ample opportunity to play LB. Couldn't grasp the scheme/assignments. DE is where he needs to be.

For someone who has been described as a good, humble kid, he seems to have a lot of "Me" in his decisions.

CBUS_SOONER
7/11/2011, 04:44 PM
The guy gets a lot of hype and praise without ever really accomplishing a whole lot except a few big hits.

Always_Sooner
7/11/2011, 05:10 PM
http://oklahoma.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=28&tid=145301024&mid=145301024&sid=895&style=2

soonerboy_odanorth
7/11/2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the responses, all. I guess I've been too busy to really keep up and this has been kicked around pretty thoroughly already. Appreciate the updates.

Ruf/Nek7
7/11/2011, 05:36 PM
Exactly how many kids are we talking about here? Like, do his children alone represent half of Dewar's population?

OUInformant
7/11/2011, 06:28 PM
I gotta agree here. The Hammer appears to have all the athletic ability and potential in the world, but hasn't really proved himself on the field at this point. He is a big hitter, that's for sure; however, this doesn't necessarily translate into being a big-time football player.

I wouldn't speculate on Ronnell's situation, so at this point I have to assume that he will be ready to play unless Coach Stoops comes out says something.

OUInformant
7/11/2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the responses, all. I guess I've been too busy to really keep up and this has been kicked around pretty thoroughly already. Appreciate the updates.

Many of us don't know either, so you're in the right to ask about him. Just a bunch of rumors swirling. I think most of us thought that Jamell Fleming was a lost cause, but that turned out not to be the case. Ditto for the Hammer.

Always_Sooner
7/11/2011, 06:36 PM
Hopefully he has a good adviser and tutor to put him in a position to be successful and stay eligible.

gaylordfan1
7/11/2011, 07:01 PM
Grow up Ronnell. Not happy? He was given ample opportunity to play LB. Couldn't grasp the scheme/assignments. DE is where he needs to be.

For someone who has been described as a good, humble kid, he seems to have a lot of "Me" in his decisions.

The guy gets a lot of hype and praise without ever really accomplishing a whole lot except a few big hits.

Come on guys.... Has anyone heard from his mouth that he is upset about not playing LB? Has anyone spent time with him to know he is all about himself? I tend to think these are false accusations. Unless you personally know him (which I don't), then its hard to know what he is all about and what goes into his decisions. He seemed to accept his position change and started making a name for himself at DE. I'm sure he would be more than happy to contribute to the team in any position that Coach V puts him in.

And for someone that never "really accomplished a whole lot except a few big hits", we sure are making a big stink about his possible departure.

I hope everything is fine.... he's a proven playmaker!

MeMyself&Me
7/11/2011, 07:43 PM
Come on guys.... Has anyone heard from his mouth that he is upset about not playing LB? Has anyone spent time with him to know he is all about himself? I tend to think these are false accusations. Unless you personally know him (which I don't), then its hard to know what he is all about and what goes into his decisions. He seemed to accept his position change and started making a name for himself at DE. I'm sure he would be more than happy to contribute to the team in any position that Coach V puts him in.

And for someone that never "really accomplished a whole lot except a few big hits", we sure are making a big stink about his possible departure.

Needed to be said.

tcrb
7/11/2011, 08:15 PM
Needed to be said.

+1

Sooner_Tuf
7/11/2011, 08:34 PM
I think Ronnell has made plenty of noise on D the last couple of years. The dude is a gamer and I hope like heck he is a starter when the season begins.

Chiliman
7/11/2011, 09:38 PM

You must have missed his interview on sooner sports last year where openly questioned what the coaches were doing with his position change. He just needs to get his house in order and go play with the God given talent the lord blessed him with. He could make a lot of money playing DE at the next level. If he couldn't grasp LB @ OU and struggles so much academically, he's not playing LB @ the next level. I hope he tears it up this year but I'm not optimistic he is going to be elgible.

OUInformant
7/11/2011, 10:33 PM

We haven't seen much of him yet at DE. He has a lot to prove. He has been fantastic on special teams so far, but again, hasn't really played DE long enough.

We love him because of what we've seen on special teams, especially some of the hits he's made. We've also seen enough of him at DE to get excited. He seems to have some sort of aggressiveness about him that makes him a very intriguing player. We are excited about seeing him play, but I wouldn't put him up there with the likes of some of the best DEs we've had the last 10-11 years until we see more of him.

SoCaliSooner
7/11/2011, 10:42 PM
Heard a month ago Lewis was done and summer school was too big of a hurdle to climb.

prrriiide
7/11/2011, 10:49 PM

I assume you know what it feels like to have a major concussion? You know what it's like to try to concentrate on classes and studies when the only thing you can grasp is that it feels like someone split your melon with a machete? The SEVERE headaches from a major concussion are debilitating, and they can last for months. The light-sensitivity alone is enough to keep you out of class for weeks. Not easy to sit in a class with an overhead projector when it feels like someone is yanking your eyeballs out with fishhooks. You probably know what the worst hangover you've ever had felt like. Now double it and know that it isn't going away no matter how much you sleep or how many tylenol you swallow.

I give the kid kudos for fighting through it.

JLEW1818
7/11/2011, 11:00 PM
i guess that 8-man football school wasn't too smart

SoCaliSooner
7/11/2011, 11:25 PM
I assume you know what it feels like to have a major concussion? You know what it's like to try to concentrate on classes and studies when the only thing you can grasp is that it feels like someone split your melon with a machete? The SEVERE headaches from a major concussion are debilitating, and they can last for months. The light-sensitivity alone is enough to keep you out of class for weeks. Not easy to sit in a class with an overhead projector when it feels like someone is yanking your eyeballs out with fishhooks. You probably know what the worst hangover you've ever had felt like. Now double it and know that it isn't going away no matter how much you sleep or how many tylenol you swallow.

Adam James and his daddy wish to thank this post.

MrJimBeam
7/12/2011, 04:55 AM
i guess that 8-man football school wasn't too smart

College ain't for everyone, man.

prrriiide
7/12/2011, 08:07 AM

The difference (besides not being the son of an uber-doosh) is that Hammer already proved his worth on the field. Still doesn't change the fact that a concussion will fcuk you up for quite awhile.

OUmillenium
7/12/2011, 09:39 AM

This...but they were awesome hits!

oudavid1
7/12/2011, 11:03 AM
I honestly thought he was on average defensive player.

sperry
7/12/2011, 11:47 AM

If he's still suffering these effects, then he's not going to be cleared medically to play. I have a feeling he wouldn't be ineligible if he had a medical condition, as professor's would be more than willing to work with the kid.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/12/2011, 11:49 AM

I'll just say that from what I know of him, I'm not impressed. He definitely loves him some him.
Edit: most OU fb players do, but they aren't so blunt about it

meoveryouxinfinity
7/12/2011, 11:52 AM

:confused: doesn't keep him from going out on campus corner. The pounding music must make his poor little head feel so much better.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and FWIW, I suffered a sports-related concussion last semester. I had headaches but I don't think I missed a day of class. Then again, those few days are kind of blurry.

BoulderSooner79
7/12/2011, 11:55 AM

I don't recall Adam James' concussion being referred to as "potential career ending". Stoops did use those words for both Noble and Lewis before spring camp.

OUVarsityXV
7/12/2011, 12:42 PM
I hope Ronnell stays he has a lot of potential.

Herr Scholz
7/12/2011, 12:46 PM
Did it ever come out what the story was on Fleming's situation?

NormanPride
7/12/2011, 01:01 PM
I think it was cheating or something similar, which comes with a standard semester suspension.

btb916
7/12/2011, 01:20 PM

Lord don't we all.

KantoSooner
7/12/2011, 01:27 PM
I don't recall Adam James' concussion being referred to as "potential career ending". Stoops did use those words for both Noble and Lewis before spring camp.

I don't think Mike ever considered what Adam had to have been a career, thus there could be no 'ending'.

A concussion would not interfere with his chosen career of being the buttboy at your local brothel.

MiccoMacey
7/12/2011, 02:35 PM
Did it ever come out what the story was on Fleming's situation?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6749936

He's back, officially. I don't know what caused his academic situation (I heard the rumors as well), and I doubt we ever really know the truth.

Good to see you back on MY home territory. ;)

Herr Scholz
7/12/2011, 02:53 PM
Good to see you back on MY home territory. ;)

Ha. Did I tell you I watched that Man Vs. Food in Tulsa that you were in?

MiccoMacey
7/12/2011, 03:02 PM
Ha. Did I tell you I watched that Man Vs. Food in Tulsa that you were in?

All you autograph seekers are alike. :)

It was a ton of fun. The girls got reeeaally tired of all the taping, but they're glad they withstood all of it. They liked watching themselves on TV and then telling their friends.

Are you going to watch the All-Star game tonight? I think I'm being swamped with the girls' dance practice all night, but I'm going to try and catch a quick glimpse here and there.

Do the Cubs even HAVE anyone playing this year? ;)

Herr Scholz
7/12/2011, 03:19 PM
Are you going to watch the All-Star game tonight? I think I'm being swamped with the girls' dance practice all night, but I'm going to try and catch a quick glimpse here and there.

Do the Cubs even HAVE anyone playing this year? ;)
Yes, I'll watch it. Watched the HR derby last night. Cano and Gonzalez were awesome. Chris Berman almost made it unwatchable though.

Yes, smartass. Our SS Starlin Castro is on the roster (and no it's not just because every team has to have a player - the youngest player in the bigs has been solid all year, hitting over .300 - he's very good). Our manager Mike Quade is also on the NL coaching staff. Also, Aramis Ramirez was asked to come with late notice but he'd already made plans to go home to the Dominican.

Congrats on Rolen starting at 3B. And yes, the Cubs suck.

MiccoMacey
7/12/2011, 03:28 PM
I took the girls to a swim party last night, so I missed the HR derby. Would have loved to watch it.

Looks like neither of our clubs are doing well. My Reds need some starting pitchers bad. Where's a Kerry Wood or Stephen Strasberg when you need one?

Herr Scholz
7/12/2011, 03:42 PM
Please take Kerry Wood off our hands.