PDA

View Full Version : Monday poll: Worst season of Stoops era

badger
7/11/2011, 11:28 AM
Since you all loved last Thursday's debbie downer thread, I figured you'd love to debate which of Stoops' winning seasons were not as winningly as the other winning seasons, because you see, Stoops has never had a losing season, unlike most other (all?) Big 12 coaches, even :mack:

NOMINEES!

1999: The transition year.

Mike Leach confused opponent early on with something called the "Ninja." We lost a mid tier bowl game for the only time in Stoops' tenure (mid tier = not BCS). 7-5 overall, 5-3 in the conference (tied for second in Big 12 South)

2001: The year after

A disappointing loss to Nebraska on the road and at home to Poke meant no repeat in either the national or Big 12 title, but we kicked back and won the Cotton Bowl. 11-2 overall, 6-2 in the conference, second in the Big 12 South (to Texas, who we beat! booooo) Finished #6 in both polls.

2005: The reloading year turns into a rebuilding year

The only other season besides 2001 to have a home loss under Stoops, and it was TC frickin' U. That loss brought about the quarterback change after one game to one Rhett Bomar, and also included losses on the road to UCLA, Texas (for the first time in five seasons), Texas Tech, and it even took overtime at home to beat Baylor. However, we won the Holiday Bowl over those stupid Quackies, and finished 8-4 overall, 6-2 in the conference, #22 in both polls.

2009: The injury year

First, star TE Jeremy Grisham (that's how ESPN pronounced it repeatedly) is out for the season. Then, Sam Bradford tweaks his shoulder in the opening game at Jerryworld vs., BYU. Enter Landry Jones, who forgot to shave in the oft chance that he actually show up on TV. Losing at Miami, at the RRS, at Nebrasky, at Tech, they were all close games except Tech.We finished tied for third in the Big 12 South, but would go on to beat Stanford in the Sun Bowl. 8-5 overall, 5-3 in conference.

This poll might as well be known as the "boo hoo, we didn't get the Big 12 South title four times under Stoops." :D

Isn't it fun when even our worst years are still not that bad?

Vote for three days anonymously and don't even try to change your vote. I'm not letting you write in any of the other years this time. Please whine about this in your comments below.

jumperstop
7/11/2011, 11:29 AM
Where's the poll?

badger
7/11/2011, 11:30 AM
You post too fast --- I create the thread THEN I create the poll :P

Mississippi Sooner
7/11/2011, 11:37 AM
I vote 2005 just because that was a lousy year all the way around for me, and the opening game of the season summed it all up. We had just gotten our power back on, post-Katrina, but about 20 minutes before kick off, our local ABC station went off the air. I lit up the phone lines calling every number I could find for the station, but being the weekend, I was afraid I wouldn't get an answer. I finally talked to the station manager, and he told me that they were switching the transmitter over from generator power to regular power, and they'd get it back on as soon as they could. It finally came back on at the end of the first quarter. Needless to say, the outcome of the game didn't make me feel any better.

The Holiday Bowl win over Oregon did take away some of the sting, though.

badger
7/11/2011, 11:52 AM
It's hard to bemoan an 11-win season, but expectations were so much higher for that team, with that talent, coming off the title. Really, just remembering that 2001 Poke game was enough to make me want to vote for this one. There was no worse loss in these four non-Big 12 South years than that one.

How in the hell did we lose to such a crappy team with such a crappy record? MR2 has a good theory:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Muscletang/cb16.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Muscletang/cb17.jpg

tfoolry
7/11/2011, 12:11 PM
Summer.

badger
7/11/2011, 12:18 PM
This is my last month of polling. Come August, it's football time in Oklahoma.

SoonerPride
7/11/2011, 12:21 PM
Rhett Bomar was a freaking disaster.

Paul Thompson got jobbed and they put the great hype in and all he could do was fumble the snap from center all season long.

that season was just awful.

The Maestro
7/11/2011, 12:22 PM
2009 and not even close. What could have been...how lousy the national title winner was that season...the team that finished as runner up only lost the game because their QB got hurt and that was after that QB gift wrapped a game to OU that we lost by three without Sam.

Just look at the 2010 draft. 'Nuff said. Wasn't anyone's fault...just bad luck. But that team was as loaded as any Stoops had coming into the season. And then to lose so many close games despite all the injuries. Could have beaten BYU, Miami, Texas and Nebraska.

Hype vs. end result = 2009 in a landslide.

The others? 1999 was magical...despite 7-5. After the previous seasons we felt blessed!

2001 - eh. Kind of saw it coming. We had injuries and a poor running game. Never felt great about that team after the middle of the season.

2005 - we knew it was a transition year after 2003 and 2004. But we still won a nice bowl game to cap the season.

Peach Fuzz
7/11/2011, 12:23 PM
why? you could do polls about the previous game we played, like " which play was the best" etc... I thoroughly enjoy these. :(

TahoeSOONER
7/11/2011, 12:28 PM
2009, with the expectations. Injury bug across the board but great coaching by the end of the season.

SoonerofAlabama
7/11/2011, 12:44 PM
I voted 2009 as well. Although, it was mentioned a few times entering the season about the O-line was pretty bad. No one thought it would affect the team that severely though. We just came out of the national title game and then boom, heisman winner is gone. All of the talent that team had and nothing to show for it. I was glad when we shut out the Pokes that year, brought a little bit of joy. Then we at least won a bowl game and stoppped all of the talk about how Stoops has lost a few in a row. Those other seasons were pretty bad, but this is the one I believe was worst.

badger
7/11/2011, 12:52 PM
why? you could do polls about the previous game we played, like " which play was the best" etc... I thoroughly enjoy these. :(

A few reasons:

1- The purpose of the polls was to kill offseason deadness that was on this board and to get you all talking about football during these awful offseason hell months.

2- The board will have tons more traffic during the season and a poll might clog the board. There's already problems during the season of duplicate forums on the same topic (I am personally guilty of this too, hence the "delete me" thread), not to mention the usual trollism (both opposing fans and self proclaimed sooners complaining after abysmal performances/losses).

3- I'm doing this for fun. If I keep this up indefinitely, I'm not sure I'd be able to keep coming up with topics, or keep having fun with it.

I'd need more con-vincing to keep this going beyond July. :)

badger
7/11/2011, 12:54 PM
Those other seasons were pretty bad, but this is the one I believe was worst.

:D once again, the irony on discussion how awful winnings seasons are is not lost on me.

Question: Are there any other Big 12 coaches (active or not) that have not experienced losing seasons in the Big 12?

Hint: Mack Brown went 5-7 last year

Mad Dog Madsen
7/11/2011, 12:56 PM
2001 season should not even be included...

LakeRat
7/11/2011, 01:04 PM
A few reasons:

1- The purpose of the polls was to kill offseason deadness that was on this board and to get you all talking about football during these awful offseason hell months.

2- The board will have tons more traffic during the season and a poll might clog the board. There's already problems during the season of duplicate forums on the same topic (I am personally guilty of this too, hence the "delete me" thread), not to mention the usual trollism (both opposing fans and self proclaimed sooners complaining after abysmal performances/losses).

3- I'm doing this for fun. If I keep this up indefinitely, I'm not sure I'd be able to keep coming up with topics, or keep having fun with it.

I'd need more con-vincing to keep this going beyond July. :)

Suck it up and be a gamer. If we have this, we don't have to give attention to trolls and they go away.

sooner518
7/11/2011, 01:13 PM
2005. it started out horribly for us and by the end of the first game, you could tell that we had major problems at QB. Bomar showed flashes of being a good player, but we sucked that whole year. NEver felt like we really got the ball rolling.

cccasooner2
7/11/2011, 01:29 PM
1999 - Who could complain, not me?
2001 - Never knew how important someone like Josh Smith was to that team until we lost him.
2005 - The cancer that was Bomar.
2009 - God was playing a joke and it wasn't funny.

2009 - Fire God!!!!!!

BillyBall
7/11/2011, 01:36 PM
2009 - Fire God!!!!!!

Pretty sure he has tenure.

badger
7/11/2011, 01:47 PM
1999 was before my time, but something tells me you guys were all just happy not being a Big 12 beyonce and actually back in the postseason after the Boo Blake dark ages :)

2001 was my first year at OU, so I was just happy to have a good football program to follow (my high school team sucked). Alas, I just can't get over the Poke loss. The stars were all aligning toward a Rose Bowl trip a year earlier than we actually went.

2005 is the reason everyone should be wary of preseason hype. I remember Dusty D and the other team captains kind of chuckle at the Heisman Park ceremony the night before TCU when the podium guy said something along the line of getting championship #8 that year. In retrospect, that should have been a BIIIIIIIIIG red flag.

2009 was followed up by FOUR FIRST ROUND DRAFT CHOICES. I think I want to cry just thinking about what could have been. Too late... already crying :(

Salt City Sooner
7/11/2011, 01:50 PM
:D once again, the irony on discussion how awful winnings seasons are is not lost on me.

Question: Are there any other Big 12 coaches (active or not) that have not experienced losing seasons in the Big 12?

Hint: Mack Brown went 5-7 last year
If you're talking about overall records, I can think of 3. If it's just conference games only, then just 1 (& granted, he was only in the league 2 years).

BillyBall
7/11/2011, 01:51 PM
2001 was my first year at OU, so I was just happy to have a good football program to follow (my high school team sucked). Alas, I just can't get over the Poke loss. The stars were all aligning toward a Rose Bowl trip a year earlier than we actually went.(

In retrospect, I'm really glad OU didn't play that Miami team...

agoo758
7/11/2011, 02:21 PM
I consider 1999 to be a good season. That was actually the first winning season I witness OU have since I started watching football in 1996.

starclassic tama
7/11/2011, 02:31 PM
how the 2001 or 1999 season is on here is beyond me. it just come down to 2005 and 2009, and 2009 was the worst in my eyes because of all that we (thought) were coming back... it was a lot worse to see one of the greatest quarterbacks in college football history go down to an injury and attempt to play through it than it was to see some bonehead temperamental recruit blow it

badger
7/11/2011, 02:35 PM
how the 2001 or 1999 season is on here is beyond me.

Before anyone else asks, I only included seasons where we didn't win the Big 12 South. Winning the Big 12 South gives you a pass from this list. There were four seasons where Stoops didn't win the Big 12 South. Two of them were 1999 and 2001.

At a school where even a "bad" season (not winning the Big 12 South) is actually "good" season, there's very little to complain about. If the complaints are about a silly little poll on a message board and not about the actual seasons mentioned in the poll, I can live with that :)

sooner59
7/11/2011, 04:38 PM
Side Note: We got ****ed in Lubbock that year in 2005.

We should have been 7-1 in Big 12 play with the only loss being to the eventual national champions. We were all shocked by the TCU loss, but we better understand it in retrospect. UCLA was playing for Maurice Jones-Drew, who lost his grandpa that week. I watched a show about it and that was a determined team out to beat the Sooners...and we weren't that good, especially on the road across country. Lost to the BCS champions, got screwed in Lubbock, won the rest. Considering what we had, it wasn't THAT bad of a season. We won at Nebraska, demolished osu, and beat #5 Oregon in a bowl game.

In 2009, the year started off with injuries and never let up. Now OUr guys fought well considering those injuries, but most thought we were going to be really good that year. Heisman QB goes down, no Gresham, lose to BYU. Losing to Miami is something I can't think of without wanting to throw something (Broyles was out a chunk of that game w/injury). Played texas close, but lost when I thought we had a chance. Was embarrassed in Lincoln. I was there. It was bad. Got destroyed in Lubbock...again...embarrassing. We did smack around osu, and win a bowl game, but it was against the #21 team in El Paso.

After 2005, I thought, "Well, we rebuilt this year and got better as the year went on. In the end, I'm proud of our team and things are looking optimistic for the future."

After the 2009 season, I thought, "Well, at least this year is over and we can focus on next season. With the injuries, it was just a nightmare season. We had high hopes and the season turned out a disaster. We had some good games and I am proud of ending the season with an osu beat down and bowl win, but damn am I glad we can look on toward 2010 now."

Overall, 2009 was the worst. And its not even on anybody really. I was disappointed in the Nebraska and Tech games because I didn't think we were ready for those games, but in the end, the injuries killed that season for us and we never got going really. At least in 2005, we knew we had lots of young guys and got better as the season went along.

texaspokieokie
7/11/2011, 05:13 PM
99 was a terrific year !!!!!

Just ask Sof A how he enjoyed it ???

badger
7/11/2011, 05:19 PM
Maaaaan you guys like the icky bad topics I see. Dare me to make it three in a row on Thursday :D

SoonerofAlabama
7/11/2011, 05:24 PM
What else is there?

cccasooner2
7/11/2011, 05:28 PM
Maaaaan you guys like the icky bad topics I see. Dare me to make it three in a row on Thursday :D

It's only Monday, but we love you Debbie. :D

badger
7/11/2011, 05:37 PM
It's only Monday, but we love you Debbie. :D

THIS is Monday. the NEXT poll is Thursday, unless I decide to quit early :mad::mad::mad:

StoopTroup
7/11/2011, 06:03 PM
I've never been happier since the jokes that were Coach of The Sooners between Gary Gibbs and Bob Stoops were run out. I've always felt like that Y2K Season and standing it that dirt Parking lot after losing to Ole Miss by a FG was the worst Season we ever had became the way we could measure Bob as our Coach. He indeed had kids he didn't recruit and made the most out of it and really was able to attract players to help in 2000. 2000 was incredible and we've had some Seasons that seemed to be on the edge of Magical since then....the loss to phlorida was a heart breaker as we just didn't seal the deal and we let Tim Tebow and Company do what they were best known for....pull a tough game out.

After Gresham was out our Season in 2009 seemed to just go downhill until Landry and others seemed to put on the brakes and try to make the most out of that Season. I guess it would be my 2nd place on that list but I feel badly for those players that were injured and unable to help. That must have been difficult to endure....so I won't give it a first place vote because it wasn't something that could have been avoided. Injuries happen and you hope they don't take out two potential Heisman Candidates in one Season but that's what happened.

cccasooner2
7/11/2011, 06:10 PM
THIS is Monday. the NEXT poll is Thursday, unless I decide to quit early :mad::mad::mad:

What you mad about? I know it's only Monday, I was just getting in an early request. Must be that time......:)

Peach Fuzz
7/11/2011, 06:40 PM

NOOOOOO keep them coming!

JLEW1818
7/11/2011, 06:43 PM
2005, and it should be unanimous

2009 was entire injuries. If we have Sam/Jermaine we win at least 2 more games, at worst.

2005 we sucked at everything

rekamrettuB
7/11/2011, 06:45 PM
How can you vote for the 2009 season with all the key injuries OU suffered coupled with the rest of the injuries. And it's winning the poll. I think people just have the more recent year in their minds. 2005 was by far the worst year for a number of reasons. 2009 was a season where, even with all the injuries, OU was about 11 points from having a 1 loss season.

Peach Fuzz
7/11/2011, 06:49 PM
I think that's the reason for most peoples opinion, because we were that close to having a better 'looking' season.

2005 was screwed and we all knew it from the first game.

SoonerNomad
7/11/2011, 06:55 PM
2009 most disappointing, but 2005 was the worst. Last two games of 2003 are still the most shocking to me in the Stoops era. That team was loaded.

1999 was freaking awesome and shouldn't even be on the list! Felt like a weight had been lifted and times were about to change.

bigfatjerk
7/11/2011, 07:14 PM
1999 was a great year considering where we were the previous 5 years or so.

2001 we were never quite the same after the Nebraska game when we lost Jason White. I think if White were healthy we would have given Miami a run for their money because was amazing that year.

2005 was just bad all around. Bomar had no business playing QB at OU. He couldn't even take snaps. Didn't have fumble 20 snaps losing about half of them? And 05 had too much experience on defense to be as bad as they were for much of that season. 05 is easily the worst season under Stoops

2009 we just had so many injuries. But there was more good for that season because all the young guys got to play and many of them are real experienced starters now.

agoo758
7/11/2011, 08:08 PM
I think 2000 was the worst season. Vince Carter Snaps the ball over Ferguson's head therefore preventing us from shutting out the noles. :(

:D

bigfatjerk
7/11/2011, 08:33 PM
I think 2000 was the worst season. Vince Carter Snaps the ball over Ferguson's head therefore preventing us from shutting out the noles. :(

:D
Pretty impressive for a guy that wasn't even at OU till 2001

Salt City Sooner
7/11/2011, 10:13 PM
Side Note: We got ****ed in Lubbock that year in 2005.

We should have been 7-1 in Big 12 play with the only loss being to the eventual national champions. We were all shocked by the TCU loss, but we better understand it in retrospect. UCLA was playing for Maurice Jones-Drew, who lost his grandpa that week. I watched a show about it and that was a determined team out to beat the Sooners...and we weren't that good, especially on the road across country. Lost to the BCS champions, got screwed in Lubbock, won the rest. Considering what we had, it wasn't THAT bad of a season. We won at Nebraska, demolished osu, and beat #5 Oregon in a bowl game.

In 2009, the year started off with injuries and never let up. Now OUr guys fought well considering those injuries, but most thought we were going to be really good that year. Heisman QB goes down, no Gresham, lose to BYU. Losing to Miami is something I can't think of without wanting to throw something (Broyles was out a chunk of that game w/injury). Played texas close, but lost when I thought we had a chance. Was embarrassed in Lincoln. I was there. It was bad. Got destroyed in Lubbock...again...embarrassing. We did smack around osu, and win a bowl game, but it was against the #21 team in El Paso.

After 2005, I thought, "Well, we rebuilt this year and got better as the year went on. In the end, I'm proud of our team and things are looking optimistic for the future."

After the 2009 season, I thought, "Well, at least this year is over and we can focus on next season. With the injuries, it was just a nightmare season. We had high hopes and the season turned out a disaster. We had some good games and I am proud of ending the season with an osu beat down and bowl win, but damn am I glad we can look on toward 2010 now."

Overall, 2009 was the worst. And its not even on anybody really. I was disappointed in the Nebraska and Tech games because I didn't think we were ready for those games, but in the end, the injuries killed that season for us and we never got going really. At least in 2005, we knew we had lots of young guys and got better as the season went along.
GREAT post. The bolded is what gives the edge to 2009 for me. Also, I think it's worth mentioning that in 2005, we had THE most difficult schedule in the nation (see link). The only team that we played that year that didn't win at least 5 games was OSU, who won 4. The OOC's (TCU, UCLA, & Tulsa) had an aggregate 30-7 mark, with 2 conference championships, & all 3 won their bowl game. Overall, our opponents went 6-2 in bowls, with Tech (lost to Bama by 3), & Oregon (a loss that OU themselves inflicted on the Ducks) the only losers, & oh yeah, there was that little yet mentioned detail about playing the national champions. The cumulative record of OU's opponents that year was 96-46.

They faced a slate like that, & STILL, were a total screwjob in Lubbock away from 9-3, despite looking like a total trainwreck (esp. offensively) to start the year.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt05.htm

agoo758
7/11/2011, 10:15 PM
Pretty impressive for a guy that wasn't even at OU till 2001

Well it DID happen in 2001. :D

Just kidding. My mistake:O

badger
7/12/2011, 07:26 AM
1999:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z282/chraines/Sooners/tackleswide.jpg

2001:
http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/7y/yv/vu/manposter2.jpg

2005:
http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gallery1.5/albums/holidaybowl2005/JBholbowlA250116x0120.jpg

2009:
http://www.bestsportsgambling.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/2009-sun-bowl-photo.jpg

It's nice to hear you all say the fun things about each year, because really, like I'm saying repeatedly, these years didn't suck. They were winning seasons, we had competitive teams and with the exception of 99, we went out bowl winners.

Two days of votin' left

BoulderSooner79
7/12/2011, 12:06 PM
'09 easy out of the years on that list. '05 was a very successful rebuilding year and only a bad year for those with crimson glasses so dark they don't believe we have those.

A year to consider not on that list is '03. The best overall squad in the Stoops' era they come up 0-2 in championship games. Clearly, not the worst year, would rank very high on the disappointment scale.