PDA

View Full Version : Ignorant sports "journalists" drive me nuts

Widescreen
7/10/2011, 01:03 PM
http://kansascity.sbnation.com/2011/7/9/2266693/should-be-oklahomas-year-in-big-12-football-and-were-not-just-talking

In the past, the road to supremacy in Big 12 football always seemed to go through the state of Texas. This season, however, that road to glory has shifted farther north to the Sooner State in Oklahoma.

I heard someone from ESPN make a similar comment months ago. Really? In what way has the Big 12 NOT gone through Norman most years? OU has more Big 12 titles than all the schools in Texas combined. I can see this from ESPN because they have an agenda to push in the highly populated state of Texas. I have no idea what this guy is talking about or why he'd say it.

Quik Sand
7/10/2011, 01:25 PM
I too remember a comment like that on ESPN pre-season last year. Utterly ridiculous...but let them spew their uninformed nonsense.

silverwheels
7/10/2011, 01:29 PM
I've seen several publications make comments to that effect over the past year or so. It's sad to see sports journalism in such a poor state these days. I can barely watch ESPN anymore, except for when an actual sporting event is on, and I usually mute it.

Ruf/Nek7
7/10/2011, 01:40 PM
Was that comment possibly made by Ubben? That guy is shorthorn loving @$$hole.....at that point it would be Ubbenly ridiculous.

TheLadiesMike
7/10/2011, 02:07 PM
Maybe he means that just about everyone in the conference went through, around and over texas last year?

badger
7/10/2011, 02:19 PM
Guys come on. The biggest Big 12 game of the year is usually Oklahoma vs. Texas. And where is that game played?

There are two years that come into mind when the Big 12 was decided in the state of Oklahoma -- 2008 (OU vs. Tech, or OU at OSU) and 2010 (OU at OSU).

It's not Oklahoma versus Texas, as in OU vs UT. It's state vs. state. And this year, like perhaps the last few years, OSU is pulling their own weight in that.

Ruf/Nek7
7/10/2011, 02:41 PM
Hey, keep the perspective crap to yourself. We prefer to think people hate us and have everything against us. Is that too much to ask for?;)

badger
7/10/2011, 03:21 PM
Hey, keep the perspective crap to yourself. We prefer to think people hate us and have everything against us. Is that too much to ask for?;)

That's poke talk :eek:

Seriously though...where were the most important games of the big 12 recently?

2010: ou at mizz, atm at osu, ou at atm, ou at osu
2009:texas sucks
2008:ou-ut rrs, ut at tech, tech at ou, ou at osu
2007:ou at cu, mizz at ou, mizz-ku at kc, ou at tech
2006:ou-ut rrs, atm at ut, ou at osu, ut at ksu

I probabbly screwed up a few, I'm playing with a new cell phone here

Widescreen
7/10/2011, 03:23 PM
Guys come on. The biggest Big 12 game of the year is usually Oklahoma vs. Texas. And where is that game played?

There are two years that come into mind when the Big 12 was decided in the state of Oklahoma -- 2008 (OU vs. Tech, or OU at OSU) and 2010 (OU at OSU).

It's not Oklahoma versus Texas, as in OU vs UT. It's state vs. state. And this year, like perhaps the last few years, OSU is pulling their own weight in that.

I'm not usually one to play the "everybody's against us" card but I don't read it that way at all.

badger
7/10/2011, 03:29 PM
Ok how bout this :)

The big 12 title game was scheduled for jerryworld. Now, with no big 12 title game, it might as well be the ou at osu game in stilly

OU_Sooners75
7/10/2011, 04:16 PM
I wonder if they mean that it used to come down to the game in October in Dallas, Tx and not so much Austin, TX?

Usually the winner of the RRS had the inside track to the conference championship.

This year, though it will likely come down to the game in Stoolwater.

Sooner Cal
7/10/2011, 09:26 PM
Well 4 of the 6 big XII south schools were in Texas. Now only 4 of the 10 are in Texas. When Ksu, Kansas, Mizzou an Iowa State go to Texas they have to go through Oklahoma. Makes perfect sense.

King Barry's Back
7/10/2011, 09:38 PM
The real problem with this piece, as quoted above, is that "road to" and the context are left badly undefined.

None of us can really tell what the guy is talking about.

MeMyself&Me
7/10/2011, 10:00 PM

That's how I took it. Perhaps it would be more clear if they said the road to the Big 12 championship usually went through Dallas but not this year?

SoonerNomad
7/11/2011, 10:41 AM
I still think our toughest game outside of Tallahassee will be in Dallas on the second Saturday in October. I heard some talking head last week say OU won't have a tough game after FSU, until A&M in November. That was silly journalism.

Maybe, I am old and thick headed, but Texas is going to have to go 5-7 more than once for me not to believe they have the same talent that we have and will be tough as hell in the Cotton Bowl. Texas still has more talent than A&M and more talent than OSU and Missouri. Texas has addressed some coaching dissension that had been building.

I hope I am wrong, but all of you that think Texas will repeat 2010 drudgery will be disappointed.

silverwheels
7/11/2011, 02:34 PM
I think Texas bounces back for an 8-win season, but unless some miracle happens, they still lack playmakers on offense and their QB and OL play are not fantastic, either. I just think Harsin can overcome that better than Davis could, schematically.

anglachel
7/11/2011, 02:46 PM
I honestly don't believe that UT has more talent than A&M or OSU. On defense probably UT has the edge, but on offense both exceed UT by so much that it makes the contest a joke.

Recruiting rankings don't matter once the whistle blows.

Herr Scholz
7/11/2011, 02:50 PM
I wonder if they mean that it used to come down to the game in October in Dallas, Tx and not so much Austin, TX?

Usually the winner of the RRS had the inside track to the conference championship.

This year, though it will likely come down to the game in Stoolwater.

That's the way I would view the comment. Obviously OU has won the most conference titles.

MiccoMacey
7/11/2011, 02:55 PM
Or...that's just the way ESPN is going to spin everything in a good light for Texas since they are now the proud owners of the TLN.

Herr Scholz
7/11/2011, 03:02 PM
Quite possible. They do have to recoup $300M.

GKeeper316
7/11/2011, 03:19 PM
sure, i can accept the notion that the big 12 title runs through texas, as long as we also concede that the Sooners are the ones that usually run through texas.

CincySooner
7/13/2011, 08:22 AM
I guess you could look at it this way:

The Big XII title goes through the state of saxeT, but most of the time it's just passing through on its way to Norman. :)

yermom
7/13/2011, 08:47 AM
the series with Texas has been pretty even in the last decade, and they still manage to screw something up most of the time when they beat us, or we give them a chance

2001, we win but lose to Nebraska and OSU, they win the South with a better record, and lose to Colorado in the CCG who they had already beaten that year

2002, we win, but lose to orange and maroon aggies. they lose to Tech to give us the head to head for the South

2006 they win, but lose to the purple, then the maroon aggies. we win the South with a better record

2007 we win, but lose to Tech and CU, they lose upset to their aggies, we win South on tiebreakers

2008 they win, but lose in the last second to Tech, 3 way tie, lots of whining. we go to KC

NMSooner'80
7/13/2011, 01:42 PM
2008 they win, but lose in the last second to Tech, 3 way tie, lots of whining. we go to KC

That reminds me, speaking of ignorant "sports journalists" - the guy from the Sporting News in '08 was a big proponent of the absurd, circular argument of "head to head." He even wrote, "45-35, and it wasn't that close..." I never understood that, because the 10-point final spread was the Bevoids' largest of the game.

Dio
7/13/2011, 02:49 PM
Ignorant sports "journalists"= redundant. I wouldn't cross the street to **** on any of them if they were on fire.