PDA

View Full Version : Dollars and Sense

MamaMia
7/10/2011, 12:15 PM
Does Texas really have financial and media related advantages on us and if so, how come; in what way? :confused:

badger
7/10/2011, 02:20 PM
Texas just dumped nearly $1 billion into gold bars. The Texas fund’s $19.9 billion in assets ranked it behind only Harvard University’s endowment as of August, according to the National Association of College and University Business Officers.

ESPN now is a Texas stakeholder.

That about answers it :mack:

MamaMia
7/10/2011, 02:33 PM
Texas just dumped nearly $1 billion into gold bars. The Texas fund’s $19.9 billion in assets ranked it behind only Harvard University’s endowment as of August, according to the National Association of College and University Business Officers.

ESPN now is a Texas stakeholder.

That about answers it :mack: How is the money distributed in the area of athletics that we both receive from the same entities?

MamaMia
7/10/2011, 03:21 PM
In other words...I don't care about all the donations and individual extras that they receive or raise, apart and aside. I just want to know if they get a bigger piece out of the pie we are suppose to share?

badger
7/10/2011, 03:26 PM
I think bevo tv revenue is theirs, not for the big 12 money pot. However, rumor has it that pokey's ut game is going on the longhorn network this fall. I can't imagine boonester and co letting whorn (or any other team that faces ut on ut-espn) keep 100 percent on that

OU_Sooners75
7/10/2011, 04:29 PM
ESPN gave Texas something like 300 Million for Longhorn Network.

StoopTroup
7/10/2011, 04:47 PM
Their Actions be the end of any Conference they belong too.

MamaMia
7/10/2011, 05:38 PM
ESPN gave Texas something like 300 Million for Longhorn Network.

Sounds more like something either and independent or pro team would do.

Do we have a "Network?"

usmc-sooner
7/10/2011, 05:43 PM
Texas has a huge media and financial advantage over us.

CrescentCityOUAlum
7/10/2011, 06:00 PM
They do have more money than anyone, no doubt. I think that's why they hate us so much. No matter how much money they have, they'll never have a more magical program than OU does. That really pisses them off, trust me.

Big D Sooner
7/10/2011, 06:37 PM
Texas has always had more money, alums, prestige, etc. None of this is new. Oklahoma is a poor state comparatively and the OU is a smaller and younger university. Obviously, that does not equal success in football because, no matter how much money you have, it's still about people. I believe that in the end, having things come so easily as Texas has it when it comes to recruiting may give the players and coaches to some extent a false sense of entitlement. I think that you really see the difference in money when it comes to the non-revenue generating sports.

JLEW1818
7/10/2011, 06:47 PM
5-7 *

goingoneight
7/10/2011, 07:23 PM
This just means more people will hear :mack:'s apologies around... say 3-4:00pm after the RRS this fall. :D

King Barry's Back
7/10/2011, 09:57 PM
MamaMia,

Texas has three of the largest TV markets in the US -- DFW, Houston, San Antonio. The population of Texas is approaching 20 million (OK's is something like 3.5 million). UT has one of the two largest endowments in the history of higher education, based mainly on a quirk in TX law and the fact that oil and gas were discovered under university-owned real estate.

Their athletic budget is ALWAYS the largest in the country each year, with only Stanford U as a rival.

And, UT is well positioned to reach into Mexico as the popularity of American sports and Americans sports television continues to reach into that country.

They also have a national following that OU has been unable to generate. This is partially responsible for the giant ESPN deal with UT.

So, they have tremendous financial advantages over any other school in America, with few exceptions -- possibly Stanford, Harvard and Notre Dame. (But Stanford takes only a small slice of California's TV market, Notre Dame has had serious trouble maintaining a nationally competitive football program, and Harvard gave up.)

OU pretty much shares the Big 12 pie equally with UT, but some of the smaller schools (KU, KSU, ISU) get a smaller slice.

All those advantages have made UT a powerhouse in all sports, and a dominant school in non-revenue sports.

But they still have a hard time competing with OU in football, and as that is really the only sport that matters, it burns them up and fills us with joy.

SoonerofAlabama
7/10/2011, 11:29 PM
Well, I am no expert. But Texas has a vast market of "devoted" fans who would kill for their team. With the addition of their own network, they now have huge pull with espn, the world wide leader in sports. :D They do have more money than us. I am just glad when we have a better finish than them though. Because all of the money in the world can't buy you the best football team in the world, okay so maybe it can, but they haven't figured it out yet. :)

texaspokieokie
7/11/2011, 10:42 AM
I think bevo tv revenue is theirs, not for the big 12 money pot. However, rumor has it that pokey's ut game is going on the longhorn network this fall. I can't imagine boonester and co letting whorn (or any other team that faces ut on ut-espn) keep 100 percent on that

Where'd you hear the rumor that osu game would be on the longhorn network ??

all i've heard down here is that there'll be 2 games on that network & one of them is Rice.

nobody's ever gonna get to keep 100% on a televised game. least i don't think so.

Boomer.....
7/11/2011, 10:54 AM
Well, I am no expert. But Texas has a vast market of "devoted" fans who would kill for their team. With the addition of their own network, they now have huge pull with espn, the world wide leader in sports. :D They do have more money than us. I am just glad when we have a better finish than them though. Because all of the money in the world can't buy you the best football team in the world, okay so maybe it can, but they haven't figured it out yet. :)

We have fans who will rip off a Texas fan's nut sack.

Advantage us!

:D

humblesooner
7/11/2011, 10:55 AM
Where'd you hear the rumor that osu game would be on the longhorn network ??

all i've heard down here is that there'll be 2 games on that network & one of them is Rice.

nobody's ever gonna get to keep 100% on a televised game. least i don't think so.

No way the UT OSU game will be on the horn's network.
the contracts currently in place supercede anything on the LH network.
They are allowed anything that is not part of the current contract.
In other words, if no one in the B12 package picks up the Rice game (or any other game), then they are allowed to put it on their network.

There is zero chance that none of the networks pick up the UT/OSU game.

texaspokieokie
7/12/2011, 10:46 AM
In other words, if no one in the B12 package picks up the Rice game (or any other game), then they are allowed to put it on their network.

i didn't say they would.
Badger said she heard a rumor to that effect.

MamaMia
7/12/2011, 10:57 AM
No OU game should be played on a horn network.

badger
7/12/2011, 11:05 AM
I promise I'm not just making sh!t up :)

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Did_the_Big_12_sell_its_soul_to_ES PN_and_Fox/13-11818)

Now comes word that the ESPN-Longhorn Network will televise two Texas football games this year instead of one, as previously announced. The Rice contest was the only one scheduled for the Longhorn Network until news leaked that ESPN and Fox have agreed to allow the telecast of one of the Longhorns’ games against a Big 12 foe on the Texas network.

Although some speculation has centered on the Oklahoma State game at Texas on Oct. 15 as one of the games under consideration, two sources familiar with conference scheduling said they “don’t think OSU (vs. Texas) will end up there (Longhorn Network).”

Those sources added that “it would make no sense for the Oklahoma State-Texas game to be on the Longhorn Network, because it has too great of a potential for national rankings and national (BCS title) implications.”

It’s conceivable that the fans of the Big 12 team that is selected to appear on the Longhorn Network would have to buy rights to the Longhorn Network in order to see the game.

“You could jump to conclusions, but this requires a new kind of evaluation,” a source said of the surprise announcement that a conference game will be part of the Longhorn Network package. “They (ESPN) have a contractual right to do it.

“But it raises more questions than we can answer until we get more information.”

In other words: Stay tuned to ESPN and Fox to find out what they’re going to do next with the conference in which they apparently now hold joint ownership.

Two Bevo games, not just one, so that possibility is there... and if it wasn't OSU, it'd be some other conference foe this year, who would also probably not play the game for free on Bevo TV, which is the only reason I brought that up

texaspokieokie
7/12/2011, 11:18 AM
didn't say there was only one, just said Rice was one & DMN didn't know who is the other.

didn't say you made it up.

i'm sure tho, that nobody will ever get 100% of the proceeds of a televised game.

i KNOW you never make anything up !!!;)

soonerboomer93
7/12/2011, 11:27 AM
Baylor would probably make the most sense for a Big 12 game to show up on LHN

Dio
7/12/2011, 12:29 PM
texas: doing less with more since 1836

Sooner_Tuf
7/13/2011, 12:38 PM
http://newsok.com/could-oklahoma-state-texas-game-wind-up-on-the-longhorn-network/article/3583297

Mississippi Sooner
7/13/2011, 12:45 PM
Betcha anything it'll be Baylor. Taco Tech is also a possibility, but I'd be shocked if it isn't another Texas team.

King Barry's Back
7/15/2011, 11:26 PM

UT/OSU play on Oct 15. Here's the Big XII lineup that weekend:

UT v OSU
Mizzou v Iowa St
OU v Kansas
K St v Tx Tech
aTm v Baylor

UT/OSU is the marquee match up, COULD feature two Top 25 teams, and will definitely go network. What's second best? Probably aTm and Baylor. Our game could be in the second slot if OU is ranked no 1.