PDA

View Full Version : Dan Tapko no longer on team

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/10/2011, 10:31 AM
Not a big loss considering he hasn't even played a down yet. Supposedly it's due to to injuries that never healed but some say it's because Max Stevenson (who he's competing against at TE) is lighting it up in drills. Either way, good luck to the young man in the future

MamaMia
7/10/2011, 11:38 AM
I wish him well.

Ruf/Nek7
7/10/2011, 11:51 AM
I also hear Stevenson has the size and strength Gresham had at his age. I'm not sure about speed though. Something to be seen

Ruf/Nek7
7/10/2011, 02:38 PM
To better represent my previous statement.....
Jermaine Gresham as a recruit: 6'7 230 4.6 40
Max Stevenson as a recruit: 6'6 240 4.53 40.

They have other numbers that cover bench, squat and vertical for Max but i chose not to share since those numbers were not available for Gresham as an incoming recruit.

cccasooner2
7/10/2011, 03:57 PM
To better represent my previous statement.....
Jermaine Gresham as a recruit: 6'7 230 4.6 40
Max Stevenson as a recruit: 6'6 240 4.53 40.

They have other numbers that cover bench, squat and vertical for Max but i chose not to share since those numbers were not available for Gresham as an incoming recruit.

Where was he electronically timed?

picasso
7/10/2011, 04:14 PM
Gresham was 6'6" at the combine no? I know it doesn't matter but some had that dude at 6'8" 270.

Ruf/Nek7
7/10/2011, 05:16 PM
Where was he electronically timed?

If you consider me sneeking onto a field in Houston, and using my make shift stop watch as electronically timed then its a 4.25!

northspeter
7/10/2011, 05:43 PM
all i read was that it was medical and family issues... he said it wasn't his knee, which apparently he had injured before... but that even though he's leaving he will still be the biggest sooner fan around... good luck to him, wherever he goes...

Ruf/Nek7
7/10/2011, 06:04 PM
At first I took this as he was physically unable to perform. Maybe that was BoomerBradley's intention. Either way, he is physically able to play, he just doesnt want to play at OU so he will be transferring. There are no reports as to where he will be going.

My question is, since he has not played a down for OU, is he allowed to transfer to another D-1 FBS school without having to serve a 1 year suspension?

northspeter
7/10/2011, 06:15 PM
At first I took this as he was physically unable to perform. Maybe that was BoomerBradley's intention. Either way, he is physically able to play, he just doesnt want to play at OU so he will be transferring. There are no reports as to where he will be going.

My question is, since he has not played a down for OU, is he allowed to transfer to another D-1 FBS school without having to serve a 1 year suspension?

i think a signed LOI means you sit out a year for transfer... not totally sure though...

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/10/2011, 06:18 PM
When I posted this all I heard was injuries but since then there has been a story released that said it was because of personal issues

goingoneight
7/10/2011, 07:14 PM
What's the story on Austin Haywood last year? I saw him on the field a LOT, but for a guy who KW called his "best pass-catching big by far" he never got a pass thrown his way.

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/10/2011, 07:26 PM
What's the story on Austin Haywood last year? I saw him on the field a LOT, but for a guy who KW called his "best pass-catching big by far" he never got a pass thrown his way.

it could be a multitude of reasons. He will probably see the field more this fall. We all know Stoops loves the older guys and Ratteree has worked his *** off

goingoneight
7/10/2011, 07:29 PM
Oh, yeah... I mean, there's Jackson and Gresham-level TE play and then there's Trent Smith and James Hanna-level play. We had a good group of TEs and FBs last year and all of them are back for 2011... I just wondered if Haywood's freshman campaign was like Jermaine Gresham or DeJuan Miller's freshman year... like maybe his best is yet to come?

BoomerJ
7/10/2011, 09:35 PM
It's a good thing that we are not thin at this position, plus another stout looking TE recruit for 2012 coming in. Congrats to Ratteree for earning a scholly. As has already been stated, Tapko said that his reason for transfer was not his knee that he tore up a year ago, but Rivals says it is medical and personal. Good luck to him.

BlackwellSooner
7/10/2011, 10:55 PM

To answer your question:

Reports: OU Tight End Recruit Quits Football

KOTV
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 4:51 PM CDT

The Sooners will be without recruit Dan Tapko, who has elected to leave the sport of football.

NORMAN, Oklahoma – According to two different reports, Oklahoma tight end commit Dan Tapko is walking away from football.

The news was first reported by Metro Sports in Kansas City – where Tapko's high school is located – Saturday, and since has been confirmed by SoonerScoop.com.

Tapko is 6-foot-4, 220 pounds and was ranked the No. 25 tight end recruit in the nation by Rivals.com. He was more developed as a blocker and likely would have been used in the same mold as former Sooner Brody Eldridge.

Tapko was the last commit OU received for the 2011 season and was one of two tight ends the Sooners signed. The other is Max Stevenson, who is a pure pass catcher.

"It was a tough decision and it was made for medical and personal reasons that would have made my life really difficult trying to go to school and play football," Tapko said in an e-mail correspondence with SoonerScoop.com. "I want to clear up that it was not the knee. My knee is 100% good to go."

Tapko had been working out with the team during the summer, but had not attended for the last few days. He will transfer to another school, but will not join any other football teams.
"I'm very thankful for the opportunity to play at OU and I can tell you right now I'm going to be OU's number one fan no matter where I go to college next year. It's been fun," he said.

The loss of Tapko will free a scholarship for Oklahoma to offer to another athlete, but the options will be limited this late in the recruitment process.

http://www.newson6.com/story/1505584...type=printable

Curly Bill
7/10/2011, 11:17 PM
Good luck to him. I don't always feel that way when a kid transfers to play somewhere else because they can't cut it at OU, but doesn't sound like that was the case here.

cccasooner2
7/11/2011, 09:20 AM
To answer your question:

"The loss of Tapko will free a scholarship for Oklahoma to offer to another athlete, but the options will be limited this late in the recruitment process."

Maybe another kicker scholly? :P

SoCaliSooner
7/11/2011, 09:25 AM
Nothing will gnaw at a guy 10 or 20 years down the road like regret.

Soonerson1975
7/11/2011, 09:41 AM
Nothing will gnaw at a guy 10 or 20 years down the road like regret.

If he's dead maggots will.

NormanPride
7/11/2011, 11:19 AM
If we have a free scholly either save it for incoming freshmen or give it to that beast of a RB that was in the spring game, Whaley.

IronHorseSooner
7/11/2011, 11:29 AM
If we have a free scholly either save it for incoming freshmen or give it to that beast of a RB that was in the spring game, Whaley.

You know, I realize that it was "just" a spring game, but has two straight outstanding spring games. He might just be worth a scholly!:D

bmjlr
7/11/2011, 11:43 AM

:D

soonerboomer93
7/11/2011, 12:42 PM
best of luck to him

cccasooner2
7/11/2011, 01:03 PM

What if he's not Dead Maggots Will?

MojoRisen
7/11/2011, 01:51 PM
Too bad - looking at that kids film looked like a football player to me.. Free Scholly and we are loaeded at TE...