PDA

View Full Version : Recruits, what matters the most?

Jacie
7/9/2011, 12:05 PM
More thoughts to ponder whilst waiting for the start of fall practice:

What factors matter the most to recruits?

The girls, the cars, the money?

It's a JOKE! At least I hope it is . . .

But what reels em in?

I know some in any class have dreamed of playing for insert school having been born and raised to be lifelong fans.

There are some already man-sized recruits who might evaluate a program based on whether it is a good training ground for an NFL career.

Academics no doubt influences those who are interested in a school that has a highly acclaimed insert major program.

If these are non-factors (no school allegiance, no shot or interest in an NFL career, undecided major), then what most influences a recruit to choose one school over another?

Coaches personality?

Facilities?

Location?

Tradition?

Coach(es)? Those of us from the 70's-80's felt The King had an advantage over the parade of coaches who led the whorns during that time, but we also had some great assistants, though you wonder if they might have kept em away from Coach Proctor till after they had signed . . . and until Jimmy Johnson showed up in Stillwater, that coaching staff didn't usually sign a kid OU wanted. What about now? We hear a lot about how feel good things are in Austin. Are sa*et coaches more personable than OUr guys?

I think OUr facilities are comparable to other top tier programs and they probably only enter into a recruits decision making process if they are old and rundown.

As much as I enjoyed the 13 years I lived in Norman, OK (and I would choose to live there again if I returned to Oklahoma), I can easily understand how someone might prefer a school in a location that provided amenities not found in Oklahoma. Whorn fans seem to think Austin is all that over Norman, but does it really matter how many bars a town has? I can appreciate the appeal of schools in mountainous locations (didn't some high profile recruit years ago choose CU because he like to ski?) or if someone wanted to go to a school near the ocean. Does climate enter into it (lousy winters or extreme heat during fall practices)?

No school is going to out-tradition OU. Some can point to the W-L record in head-to-head games though (SUC, ND, sa*et). But if titles, overall record and bowl games matter, OU should come out on top of that recruiting battle.

So what do you think matters most?

oudavid1
7/9/2011, 12:23 PM
Winning, Comfort, Facilities, Weather.

Oh, and GIRLS!

BlackwellSooner
7/9/2011, 12:26 PM
Coaches, IMO. Followed closely by tradition, then by location, although the latter two might be switched depending upon whether a girl enters the equation.

Notice, I said A girl, not girls. Every college has lots of eye candy.

GKeeper316
7/9/2011, 12:28 PM
winning like charlie sheen.

Soonermagik
7/9/2011, 12:30 PM
I do believe climate matters, particularly when kids don't want to play in an ice box. Getting hit when it's really cold doesn't feel too good. Plus, standing around in single digit temps isn't fun.

Schools like USC and Miami offer good climates and things to do etc.. so that's always an appeal, but fan interest isn't as good. The reason, because there are so many other things to do. Many don't know this, but Gresham really wanted to go to Miami. He changed his mind when he went down for a game day visit and the stadium had like 13k people in the stands.

I think most recruits are looking for a few key things:

1) Want to fit in well with the players and coaches
2) Almost all kids want to make sure they will actually see the field
3) They want to be part of a winning program i.e big bowl games
4) Want fan interest and a good tradition
5) They want good facilities
6) Most kids think they will play in the NFL, so they want a school with a history of sending kids there.
7) Want a nice climate
8) For some, proximity to home is a big deal
9) Most want the area to offer something to do outside of football i.e. the beach, night life, mountains etc.. This is where OU suffers a little. Oklahoma City is growing, so that helps. Hey, it's hard to have it all. ;)

rekamrettuB
7/9/2011, 12:34 PM
Tradition/current state of program
Playing time
Location (close to home or kick *** beaches)
Coaches
NFL pipeline

I think those are the top 5 in no particular order outside of the order I randomly put them in.

SoonerBread
7/9/2011, 01:09 PM
Playing time.
Possibility of going to the show.

In that order, 99% of the time.

goingoneight
7/9/2011, 10:24 PM
Honestly, I think that's why recruiting is a game in itself. Adrian Peterson was dead set for Texas until Stoops revived the OU program and began to dominate :mack:.
Why were Demarco Cobbs and Josh Turner so hell bent on Texas? It depends on the player. If not for great recruiters who sell the program and their philosophy on the player, the game and powers that be might be totally different.

oudavid1
7/10/2011, 03:43 AM
Girls

Flagstaffsooner
7/10/2011, 07:02 AM
Kissies from Mack.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0923/ncf_g_vyoung_300.jpg

GameWarden
7/10/2011, 07:15 AM
Barry Switzer once said 'the in-state' school always has the advantage'. Thas probably not as true as it once was but its definitely a factor on most recruits.
Props to Josh Heupel. I think he is the main reason we have the stable of butt-kicken' QB's we now have.
I think the position coach matters at QB like nowhere else.

MamaMia
7/10/2011, 07:41 AM
All the good answers are taken. :)

SoonerDood
7/10/2011, 08:45 AM
[hairGel] FACILITIES ARE NUMBER ONE!

CrescentCityOUAlum
7/10/2011, 06:12 PM
I hope that we get guys because they know there is a good chance to play for and win a national title. That has to be a factor. As was said, no one can really out-tradition us when it comes to hardware, be it team or individual hardware.

Our facilities are top notch, and the Legends Lobby is as nice a trophy room(s) as you can find anywhere. Love going there when I'm in town. How cool is it that we can't display all 13 Orange Bowl trophies because we don't have enough room?

ashley
7/10/2011, 07:50 PM
Reputation of school
Recruiter
Visit
Mom and dad

SoonerofAlabama
7/10/2011, 11:23 PM
Reputation of school
Recruiter
Visit
Mom and dad

This though I would add how well the team did the previous year.

GameWarden
7/11/2011, 06:49 AM
[hairGel] FACILITIES ARE NUMBER ONE!

:stunned: Did you mean to say "knowing Will Lyles"?

cleller
7/11/2011, 07:09 AM
History will show that crooked car dealers are essential. The new kid on the block is the crooked tattoo parlor.

Nowadays a crooked video game dealer might be helpful.

badger
7/11/2011, 07:33 AM
I think it really depends on the player. Some guys are just very desperate to get away from home, hence Oklahoma sending recruits like Demarco Cobbs to Texas.

Some are pressured by teammates getting recruited by the same school, like that BTW (Tulsa) guy that decommitted from OSU on signing day to go to Arky.

Some probably, likely, definitely get additional impermissible motivation to sign with a particular school, like Robert Meacham and Tennessee.

Someone mentioned AD. I think Stoops visiting AD's dad in prison made a big difference there.

LePetomaine
7/11/2011, 09:07 AM
All good responses. Here's another view: a friend of mine ran a recruiting newsletter back in the 90s (before he sold it to one of the national services). His service was a bit different because his sales job allowed him to travel around Texas and actually meet and talk to the players. I once asked him this same question. His response: "most of these guys have no clue why they choose their school." He said coaches would call him and say, "we did not have a good game last week; do you think ____ saw it?" His response: Coach, I doubt _______ even knew you had a game."

Makes some sense, I guess. If a kid is recruited by a top 20 team, hell, even a top 30 - 40 program, he'll likely end up in a good situation.

mushu405
7/11/2011, 10:37 AM
TV in bathrooms.

Cinco Ranch Cougar
7/11/2011, 02:15 PM
I can speak from Experience:
1. Mom and Dad
2. Proximity to Home
3. Educational reputation of the school - how good of an education will my son get?
4. Mom and Dad (oh i said that)
5. How much interest does the coaching staff show and when did they offer?
6. Potential to play realizing that the first year will be a red-shirt year
7. Educational reputation of the school - oh i already said that
As you can probably guess my son got a little attention from my Alma Mater but the Rice Owls hit him hard his Junior year in high school and that is where is now. We play Texas in our opener - We could pull the upset of the century.

KantoSooner
7/11/2011, 03:04 PM
Educational opportunities
Quality of and rapport with coaches
A certain grey eyed skier girl from New Mexico.

Speaking solely from personal experience.

Marla! Oh Marla, where are you now?

SoonerofAlabama
7/11/2011, 03:11 PM
aIM4gmho8P0&feature=related

BigTip
7/12/2011, 09:32 PM
"I wanna play on TV!"

Nobody has mentioned this, but I always thought it would be a factor.