PDA

View Full Version : Is it a legal formation to have more than...

Dan Thompson
7/9/2011, 09:59 AM
one player back to receive punts, one acting as a blocker?

mgsooner
7/9/2011, 10:00 AM
Yes.

oudavid1
7/9/2011, 10:30 AM
one player back to receive punts, one acting as a blocker?

Not at all. You can have as many as you want. Usually its only when a team is really trying to field the punt though.

PeoriaSooner
7/9/2011, 11:10 AM
The team receiving a punt is on defense. There are no such classifications as legal or illegal formations on defense. As long as the defense has fewer than 12 players on their side of the line of scrimmage, they can line up however they want.

Dwight
7/9/2011, 11:21 AM
The team receiving a punt is on defense. There are no such classifications as legal or illegal formations on defense. As long as the defense has fewer than 12 players on their side of the line of scrimmage, they can line up however they want.

Exactly this. If the offense is in punt formation, you don't have to line up in return formation.

rekamrettuB
7/9/2011, 12:36 PM

Very good answer.

You could have 1 guy on the line blocking the snapper and 10 guys back returning punts.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/9/2011, 12:57 PM
Don't give Mike Leach any ideas!

Tulsa_Fireman
7/9/2011, 01:00 PM
NINJA

meoveryouxinfinity
7/9/2011, 09:06 PM
Ummm why put yourself in a situation where the offense can execute a fake?

soonerprices
7/9/2011, 10:50 PM
Very good answer.

You could have 1 guy on the line blocking the snapper and 10 guys back returning punts.

You can't block the snapper at the LOS.

SoonerofAlabama
7/9/2011, 10:52 PM
At the most I am putting two guys back there. Otherwise, you are saying, "Hey, want a free first down, just run any play in your entire offensive playbook."

OU_Sooners75
7/9/2011, 11:00 PM
Though it is not illegal to do so, why would you want to put 2 back on punt returns unless you are playing a safe punt formation that gives two safeties back if you are protecting against a fake?

SoonerofAlabama
7/9/2011, 11:02 PM
I believe you just get an extra blocker that is closer to the returner.

Curly Bill
7/9/2011, 11:09 PM
Though it is not illegal to do so, why would you want to put 2 back on punt returns unless you are playing a safe punt formation that gives two safeties back if you are protecting against a fake?

Makes it tougher for the punt team to punt the ball away from the returner. In other words: two guys can cover more ground back there than one. At least that's the idea, and of course one can serve as a blocker for the other.

GottaHavePride
7/10/2011, 09:35 AM

Reminds me of the World Cup commercials from the Germany WC. Pele explaining soccer formations. "Everyone talks about the 4-5-1, and the 4-4-2. Why not the 1-1-8?"

royalfan5
7/10/2011, 10:26 AM

Also, if you have a punt returner who struggles to catch the damn ball, it's sometimes useful to have a guy nearby to fall on it.

Soonermagik
7/10/2011, 10:29 AM
If it's a close game and you are worried of a muffed punt I think it's wise to have two guys back. Have them near each other and if one muffs the ball the other can get it. Plus, you have an immediate blocker in the area.

rekamrettuB
7/10/2011, 12:37 PM
You can't block the snapper at the LOS.

Haha...good point. Didn't think about it. Was just illustrating a point.

sooner KB
7/10/2011, 01:09 PM
Hey guys, could a team put all of it's players back near the goal line during a kickoff return?

Mongo
7/10/2011, 01:13 PM
Hey guys, could a team put all of it's players back near the goal line during a kickoff return?

sure, but if the kickoff team was smart, they would kick it ten yards and scoop it up

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/10/2011, 01:33 PM
Hey guys, could a team put all of it's players back near the goal line during a first down?

cleller
7/11/2011, 07:34 AM

This possibility has surely already passed thru the Leach gamma cortex oscillators. The fact that it has not been seen on the field must be an indication of its fallibility.

I wouldn't want to be the one back there as the blocker - with some special team psycho Russell Dennison wannabe headed at me full speed.

LakeRat
7/11/2011, 01:10 PM

No, they have to place a certain amount within 15 yards of the kick. I think it is 5, but it may be 4.

badger
7/11/2011, 01:28 PM
sure, but if the kickoff team was smart, they would kick it ten yards and scoop it up

False! A punt is a punt is a punt, regardless of how far it's kicked. I'm not sure if it would be if some crazy Three Stooges move happened where the ball was kicked backwards (would that be considered a lateral, or just a really epicly bad punt?).

As such, a punt can be downed by the offensive team, but cannot be "scooped up" (I assume you mean they recover, retain possession and get a new set of downs) by the kicking team... unless, of course, someone on the defensive team touches the ball first.

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/files/2011/04/winchester11.jpg

EDIT: Oh you were referring to a kickoff :D Yes, then, a kickoff is a live ball till it goes into the endzone... I could post another pic from last year's RRS for that one as well :)

Penguin
7/11/2011, 02:04 PM
IIRC, back in the 80's it was pretty common to have two returners back there. Back then, the hash marks were so damn wide that some teams would put one returner on the near side harsh mark and one playing centerfield, especially if the punting team was punting on one of the hashes.

I might be smoking something, but I seem to remember that having 2 returners was quite common for a while.

jumperstop
7/11/2011, 02:17 PM
I think we did this last year, at least one time with Broyles and Stills....maybe I'm not remembering right.

cvsooner
7/11/2011, 03:10 PM
It's even the subject of some serious analysis. One returner or two, and where should they be located?

http://www.jstor.org/pss/223118