PDA

View Full Version : Should Ryan Broyles Return Punts

oudavid1
7/9/2011, 01:18 AM
He is good, but is it really worth it? I vote nay.

BoomerJ
7/9/2011, 01:22 AM
Who would you give the job to?

oudavid1
7/9/2011, 01:23 AM
Who would you give the job to?

Franks/Stills

StoopTroup
7/9/2011, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to limit him but I bet if he wants to do it...he will.

BoomerJ
7/9/2011, 01:42 AM
I forgot Stills caught a few. Was it the Big 12 title or the Fiesta Bowl?

SoonerofAlabama
7/9/2011, 01:51 AM
Broyles/Stills is a go for me. Broyles is a talent and it is a risk, but he is also very good at punt returns and if he wants to do it and the coaches do as well then I want him to as welll.

EnragedOUfan
7/9/2011, 01:52 AM
Absolutely not. He's our best and most dynamic WR, he's an absolute playmaker and we must keep him healthy. Returning punts furthers the risk of him getting injured. Maybe someone can refresh my memory, but didn't DeMarco Murray get injured returning a punt one game? It was him or someone else, I can't recall....

StoopTroup
7/9/2011, 02:08 AM
Absolutely not. He's our best and most dynamic WR, he's an absolute playmaker and we must keep him healthy. Returning punts furthers the risk of him getting injured. Maybe someone can refresh my memory, but didn't DeMarco Murray get injured returning a punt one game? It was him or someone else, I can't recall....

Superstars don't play scared.

yermom
7/9/2011, 02:27 AM

two different kickoffs, at least

@Tech in 2007 and CCG vs Mizzou in 2008

101sooner
7/9/2011, 03:09 AM
Yes.

He is unlikely to make game changing mistakes during tight games.

He will most likely field the ball well and will make a decent decision whether or not to allow the ball to bounce in to the end-zone, out of bounds, return or call a fair catch.

Punt returns are critical. If you have a weapon, that's an advantage. If you have a seasoned player that doesn't make mistakes, that is success.

Broyles is a weapon that will most likely not make mistakes.

TheLadiesMike
7/9/2011, 03:15 AM
Do our opponents want to see him returning punts? The opposite of their answer.

StoopTroup
7/9/2011, 03:16 AM
Do our opponents want to see him returning punts? The opposite of their answer.

Exactly

SOFSooner
7/9/2011, 05:17 AM

It was the Big XII Championship game in 2008. Injured Achilles tendon and missed the NC game with Florida.

85sooners
7/9/2011, 05:26 AM
Broyles !!!!!!!!

vtsooner21
7/9/2011, 05:27 AM
All good points in favor of Ryan being in on returns, but I'd rather that he not be used in that capacity. Too many opportunities to get an open field shot at him. Although I've been shocked at some of the hits he's endured downfield as a receiver & bounced right back up. Amazing for a guy his size! Guess I'd just prefer that Coach Stoops elect to not burn him out and catch a rest on the sidelines occasionally. Hoping that we see alot of three and outs created by the Defense this season, and he'll need a break...
Boomer

yermom
7/9/2011, 06:34 AM
It was the Big XII Championship game in 2008. Injured Achilles tendon and missed the NC game with Florida.

he also dislocated his patella @Tech trying to recover the on-side kick on the hands team...

jk the sooner fan
7/9/2011, 06:56 AM
who has better hands fielding punts, except for that one game last year where he dropped two balls - that dude is MONEY....i cant think of another player for a very long time who is more of a threat than Broyles

you want your best players touching the ball as often as you can - he could get hurt just as easily going across the middle on a route or being knocked out of bounds on an out route

its football - players get hurt - when you try to manage that - you're already losing. give your best player the ball when you can, period.

Breadburner
7/9/2011, 07:29 AM
Peterson was a return man....Why not Broyles....You put your best palyers on special teams.....Did watching Gresham play special teams make you nervous too....?

Sooner70
7/9/2011, 07:48 AM
Didn't we go thru this discussion with DeMarco Murray also? As valuable as he was to OU's offense, I recall after he recovered from an injury on kickoff team, Stoops put him back in there doing that. Didn't he miss the Florida NC game because of that? I shudder at the thought of losing Broyles, though. I thought the same with DeMarco after he got hurt. Let someone else do it.

TahoeSOONER
7/9/2011, 07:53 AM
Yes, kickoffs seem to worry me more than punts but in big games he should be returning punts.

Get your best players on the field.

tcrb
7/9/2011, 08:20 AM
who has better hands fielding punts, except for that one game last year where he dropped two balls - that dude is MONEY....i cant think of another player for a very long time who is more of a threat than Broyles

you want your best players touching the ball as often as you can - he could get hurt just as easily going across the middle on a route or being knocked out of bounds on an out route

its football - players get hurt - when you try to manage that - you're already losing. give your best player the ball when you can, period.

This

CowboyMRW
7/9/2011, 08:45 AM
OP.com had this exact same question a few years ago when Dez was returning punts and kickoffs.

He's your most dynamic player in that position and nothing swings momentum faster than a big punt return. Absolutely leave him back there.

picasso
7/9/2011, 09:06 AM
OP.com had this exact same question a few years ago when Dez was returning punts and kickoffs.

He's your most dynamic player in that position and nothing swings momentum faster than a big punt return. Absolutely leave him back there.

No doubt with Dez but he had a bit more of a durable body. Broyles is tough but he's small.
I say use him in big games and that's it.

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/9/2011, 09:12 AM
If he wants to do it of course you let him do it. Broyles is a gamechanger, I dont care what kind of risk it is having him out there returning punts. Whats the point in having such a threat if you are too afraid to use him? Go big or go home.

SoonerNomad
7/9/2011, 09:17 AM
Hell yes. Hell yes. Hell yes.

Broyles is a weapon everytime he touches the ball and he should touch it, touch it and then touch it again. He could get hurt going over the middle but he should go over the middle. He's a football player that excels in catching footballs and returning punts.

Coach Stoops cannot and should not play scared. Broyles cannot and will not play scared.

If OU is up big in second half give someone else a shot. Until then, put your best player back there and help him make a big play.

OU_Sooners75
7/9/2011, 10:14 AM
With the talent we have at WR, why not? We all know he is a very explosive returner. We also know that he is our best WR. I think we should have our best players on the field at all times.

oudavid1
7/9/2011, 10:27 AM
You guys have convinced me. Let em do it.

/Thread

cvsooner
7/9/2011, 10:33 AM
Use him when you need him, or when you sense an opportunity. For typical punt situations (i.e., just exchanging the ball), don't waste him and run a silly risk.

pphilfran
7/9/2011, 10:45 AM
Yes.

He is unlikely to make game changing mistakes during tight games.

He will most likely field the ball well and will make a decent decision whether or not to allow the ball to bounce in to the end-zone, out of bounds, return or call a fair catch.

Punt returns are critical. If you have a weapon, that's an advantage. If you have a seasoned player that doesn't make mistakes, that is success.

Broyles is a weapon that will most likely not make mistakes.

Excellent posts from the Sooner at Sill...

Are you in the artillery?

101sooner
7/9/2011, 10:55 AM
Excellent posts from the Sooner at Sill...

Are you in the artillery?

Naw. I'm in the band. Been in the Army band for almost 20 years.

Dwight
7/9/2011, 11:22 AM
No. Let Franks or Brennan Clay do it.

MamaMia
7/9/2011, 01:18 PM
I want Antonio to return punts but since thats not possible, if Broyles is the best we have then let him. I just hope they can keep him safe.

yermom
7/9/2011, 01:43 PM
With the talent we have at WR, why not? We all know he is a very explosive returner. We also know that he is our best WR. I think we should have our best players on the field at all times.

are you sure we should expose him to hits playing WR?

CU Sooner
7/9/2011, 02:05 PM
You put your best players out there no matter what. All summer I have been watching youtube videos of games about 10 years back and all the starters are playing special teams. Look at the 2000 team and every receiver was on special teams and so was Roy and Rocky. Play to win is very different than playing not to lose and that goes for injuries.

Mongo
7/9/2011, 03:01 PM
always put the ball in the best players' hands.

OU_Sooners75
7/9/2011, 04:06 PM
are you sure we should expose him to hits playing WR?

Good point. Maybe we should keep him on the sidelines so he doesn't get hurt. Wouldn't want our playmakers to get hurt.

LostCreekSooner
7/9/2011, 04:59 PM
Yes! X 1,000,000

Hands are too good. He will receive all punts that matter.

EnragedOUfan
7/9/2011, 05:17 PM
two different kickoffs, at least

@Tech in 2007 and CCG vs Mizzou in 2008

Thanks for proving my point/opinion. Maybe if Demarco had been healthy against Florida, maybe he could have scored on one of those goal line stops....

Chris Brown couldn't pound his way through. On the other hand, if Demarco had been in, maybe he could've front flipped his way over the offensive and defensive lines into the endzone. What if, we'll never know...

But what we do know is Murray was taken out of the game and season on a kickoff not even through the 1st quarter....

EnragedOUfan
7/9/2011, 05:18 PM

Thanks...

CowboyMRW
7/9/2011, 05:33 PM
Yall should play Broyles at PR every game-- except the OSU one. That would be a big help. Thanks

Jacie
7/9/2011, 05:59 PM
I'd like to see someone at PR who plays a position that is deep, say at WR or RB, and keeps him from being on the field a lot. Freshmen can make good PR's because they are hungry for playing time and they present the opposition with an X factor. Broyles can then go in for special situations, say when the other team is deep in their own territory and as worried about the rush to block the kick as they are about coverage. Those are potential runback situations.

tennsooner
7/10/2011, 02:45 PM
I sure wish Nebraska would have held Johnny Rodgers out of the position. Pretty safe bet if they had they would have one less National Championship and we would have had one more. You play your best player regardless of who it is.

BoulderSooner79
7/10/2011, 03:51 PM
If it is a net win, then yes. I'm not sure it was last year as I thought Broyles looked a bit tired on returns. He certainly didn't seem to be as effective as he was in '09. Maybe we didn't block as well, but he looked tired to me - we do throw the ball his way an awful lot. The coaches seemed to notice something too as they started putting stills in the mix.

gaylordfan1
7/10/2011, 07:37 PM
Sure, I think he has earned PR's if he is interested. I think punt returns and KO returns will be filled by many different players that bring something different. Im sure we will see Broyles when the game is on the line and we need something to happen. We will be seeing several players getting opportunities early in the year to see what they can do. I think Franks and B. Clay are going to get a lot of looks at both this year. They have the speed and playmaker ability, i just hope with a year under their belts that they develop their vision.

MI Sooner
7/11/2011, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure I like the idea of a rotation, as it seems to me like you'd increase the risk of muffed punts and/or bad decisions on whether to let it go, fair catch, or return if you have fewer reps.

Also, what's the exchange rate on punt returns/kick returns to runs/passes? And what's the relative risk of injury on each play? I bet comes out in favor of playing your stars on special teams.

Coaches work day and night coming up with gameplans that might give a couple opportunities to get the ball to your playmakers in space. Why would they turn down opportunities to get the same result by doing no more than saying, "Broyles, you're returning punts."?

LakeRat
7/11/2011, 11:42 AM
Couple posts I like deal with taking him out of the WR position in case of big hits. I would just like for him to not be on the sidelines in case he got hurt like JOEPA did a couple years back.

Another one was something about how Johnny Rodgers should have sat due to the risk of injury.

So in my opinion, we should make Ryan Broyles the next bubble boy.

OUVarsityXV
7/11/2011, 12:40 PM
Everyone wanted DeMarco to return punts...until it cost us a National Championship. Get Trey Franks to do it.

SoonerNomad
7/11/2011, 02:05 PM
Everyone wanted DeMarco to return punts...until it cost us a National Championship. Get Trey Franks to do it.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I was not unhappy, frustrated or angry that DeMarco played on special teams at Oklahoma, even after the injuries. I can look back and say that the injuries occurred, but that doesn't mean he should not have been out there. He was playing football.

Okie35
7/11/2011, 02:09 PM
Yes... he's definitely our best returner. I wouldn't mine Trey back there either if he's good at it.

Okie35
7/11/2011, 02:11 PM
I won't speak for anyone else, but I was not unhappy, frustrated or angry that DeMarco played on special teams at Oklahoma, even after the injuries. I can look back and say that the injuries occurred, but that doesn't mean he should not have been out there. He was playing football.

Exactly and some of his returns were great and gave the offense great field position. Besides its college, not the NFL, your best players are always put in positions to help you win.

starclassic tama
7/11/2011, 02:14 PM
you can't coach or play scared of injury. stoops has had this philosophy since the get-go, with putting AD back on kickoffs, and i agree with it 100%

SoonerPride
7/11/2011, 03:16 PM
yes, Broyles should return punts.