PDA

View Full Version : Fleming to return...

jumperstop
7/8/2011, 02:49 PM
You guys are slacking here....had to find out about this on espn....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6749936

Oklahoma senior cornerback Jamell Fleming has been officially reinstated and will return to the team, Sooners officials confirmed Friday.

The school announced in February that Fleming was not enrolled at the university, and it was later reported that the cause was an academic issue.

Fleming, who led the team in interceptions in 2010, missed spring practice.

Fleming returns to the team but, according to an updated depth chart on the team website, as well as the official, he will begin fall camp as the backup cornerback behind Gabe Lynn, who replaced him during the spring.

Fleming made 71 tackles in 2010 and intercepted five passes while earning All-Big 12 honors.

SoonerMom2
7/8/2011, 02:59 PM
That is AWESOME -- now he has to work himself back into starting. He sure learned his lesson the hard way but happy to see he worked his way back academically and now cleared to play.

jumperstop
7/8/2011, 03:07 PM
I broke earlier on twitter :) you all are slacking

Twitter is for fags... :D

BoulderSooner79
7/8/2011, 03:08 PM
That is AWESOME -- now he has to work himself back into starting. He sure learned his lesson the hard way but happy to see he worked his way back academically and now cleared to play.

As I recall, he had to learn it more than once - the hard, hard way?

picasso
7/8/2011, 03:18 PM
Great news!

cccasooner2
7/8/2011, 03:18 PM
Great news, I hope he can have PD stats close to last season.

OUInformant
7/8/2011, 03:19 PM
This is game changing. He was an All-Conference CB, and that is where we are most inexperienced on D.

PLaw
7/8/2011, 03:29 PM
Finally - some good news. Now we just need to clear up the Ronnell Lewis question and get Metoyer in the house.

Boomer

SoonerofAlabama
7/8/2011, 03:31 PM
Hey, maybe we will escape this offseason in one piece after all. :)

Ruf/Nek7
7/8/2011, 04:29 PM
I broke earlier on twitter :) you all are slacking

Everyone is slacking....i broke this in 1856. Just got out of my delorean that has a 1.21 gigawatt capacitor. 1.21 gigawatts!

Widescreen
7/8/2011, 04:30 PM
Glad that he's back. I hope he has to work like crazy to get his starting job back. Anything else would be an insult to Gabe Lynn.

Dwight
7/8/2011, 04:38 PM
Great news!

LVSOONER15
7/8/2011, 05:41 PM
Right on! This kid can play.

mightysooner
7/8/2011, 05:50 PM
Awesome! More depth if Gabe isn't ready yet.

vtsooner21
7/8/2011, 06:01 PM
Competition is a great thing. Will make a good defense even better. Really looking forward to the other guys coming together to make this a statement year.

Boomer

SoonerofAlabama
7/8/2011, 06:03 PM
Sooner

budbarrybob
7/8/2011, 06:06 PM
Doing the happy dance :twinkies:

SoonerofAlabama
7/8/2011, 06:07 PM
Competition is a great thing. Will make a good defense even better. Really looking forward to the other guys coming together to make this a statement year.

Boomer

Yes, this will definitely work in our favor. Even if Flemming isn't ready, he will push the rest of the guys on defense to be better so that they don't lose their job.

oudavid1
7/8/2011, 06:48 PM
Well it looks like I was wrong.

But at least we got our best corner back. Gabe Lynn must be like ahhhhh sh***.

mightysooner
7/8/2011, 06:55 PM
Says he's behind Gabe "going into fall camp". I doubt he'll emerge from fall camp in the same spot. We've all seen what he can do and Gabe is still very young with a lot of career in front of him.

Quik Sand
7/8/2011, 07:05 PM
hell ya

SoonerofAlabama
7/8/2011, 07:06 PM
This was one of the bigger question marks of the off-season. Now it's off to the defensive line to make sure we are all good there.

mightysooner
7/8/2011, 07:17 PM
This was one of the bigger question marks of the off-season. Now it's off to the defensive line to make sure we are all good there.

Well....there's that whole Mike backer position too.

OU_Sooners75
7/8/2011, 08:16 PM
Well....there's that whole Mike backer position too.

I don't think the Middle Linebacker is much of an issue.

Tom Wort will be and should be a very good player this year. Toward the end of last season he had shown major improvement. It definitely is going to suck to not have the solid play of Austin Box, RIP. But the Linebacker corps is going to be arguably the best in the nation this season.

SoonerofAlabama
7/8/2011, 08:21 PM
Speaking of linebacker's, this is Lindy's ranking of the best Linebacking Corps in the Nation:

Lindy's Top Ten Linebacking Corps (https://www.lindyssports.com/alabama-oklahoma-headline-lindys-lb-unit-rankings.php)

SoonerofAlabama
7/8/2011, 08:25 PM
1. ALABAMA
The Tide could time travel with this group and rank as the No. 1 linebackers in any year of the past decade. Dont’a Hightower — explosive again after a 2009 knee injury — and Courtney Upshaw have the stuff of All-Americans and first-round draft picks. The third starter could be Nico Johnson, could be C.J. Mosley ... and either could probably earn all-conference honors if Hightower and Upshaw leave any slivers of glory. When last seen in real action, these ‘backers were smashing Michigan State in a the Capital One Bowl, limiting standout running back Edwin Baker to 14 yards on 12 carries.

2. OKLAHOMA
The Sooners are so loaded here that coach Bob Stoops called reserve outside linebacker Corey Nelson OU’s top defender of the spring. Nelson would start, except he’s behind All-American candidate Travis Lewis, OU’s leading tackler for the past three seasons. Talented playmaker Tom Wort will step in for Austin Box in the middle. Sadly, Box suddenly passed away during the spring.

3. TCU
The Horned Frogs, perennial national leaders in defense — No. 1 in yards allowed last season — have both starters back from their 4-2-5 scheme, including MWC Defensive Player of the Year Tank Carder. Tanner Brock, who had a team-high 106 tackles, is another all-star candidate.

4. TEXAS
The heart and soul of the Longhorns is at linebacker, where seniors Emmanuel Acho (87 tackles) and Keenan Robinson (137 tackles) are back. First-year defensive coordinator Manny Diaz has said that for Texas to return to the elite of college football, Acho and Robinson have to be elite, and they are certainly capable. They’ll have plenty of help, too. Jordan Hicks, the No. 1 LB recruit in 2010, could be a future All-American, and Oklahoma native Demarco Cobbs thrived in the spring after being moved down from safety.

5. ARIZONA STATE
Junior Vontaze Burfict, the (unofficial) national leader in personal fouls across the past two seasons, has worn college football’s black hat. Now, he gets to wear a black lid — the Devils changed their helmets this spring at the same time Burfict was trying to change his attitude and reputation. Brandon Magee is fast and physical, too — and consistent. Seniors Shelly Lyons and Colin Parker each have starting experience as they battle for the other spot.

6. BOSTON COLLEGE
Luke Kuechly may be the ACC’s best player pound-for-pound. All he does is make tackles, leading the nation last year at 14.1 per game. Add in Kevin Pierre-Louis (93 tackles last season as a true freshman) and a stacked two-deep, and the Eagles might repeat as having the nation’s top run defense.

7. NOTRE DAME
Junior Manti Te’o grew as a player and a leader as a sophomore, making a team-high 133 tackles for first-year coach Brian Kelly. The Irish went from 89th nationally against the run in 2009 to a more respectable 50th last season. With two other starting linebackers returning in the 3-4 scheme, the Irish should keep improving.

8. NEBRASKA
Lavonte David was a one-man linebacker crew — and an awfully good one at that — last season as the Cornhuskers sometimes went with six defensive backs to offset the spread passing games of the Big 12. He’ll have more linebackers in his neighborhood this season in the Big Ten, with Sean Fisher returning from a broken leg that wiped out his 2010 season and Will Compton, who got “Pipped” last season by David after suffering an injury.

9. VIRGINIA TECH
Bruce Taylor came from nowhere to be second team All-ACC last year, and the Hokies have three other guys capable of starting on the inside. Can the combination of Jeron Gouveia-Winslow and Alonzo Tweedy give this team adequate play at whip linebacker?

10. OHIO STATE
Etienne Sabino was still 17 when he arrived at Ohio State, so after playing for two years, he took a redshirt last season to mature and wait for jobs to open. Now he’s the man in the middle of the defense, and he and Andrew Sweat should provide customary OSU production.

Mazeppa
7/8/2011, 08:53 PM
Bob broke this months ago, if you read between the lines.

goingoneight
7/8/2011, 10:10 PM
Between Wort and Franklin's experience, I'm comfortable as a fan with OUr MLB spot. We're not top-heavy in the two-deep like we were with Ryan Reynolds and Brandon Crow in 2008.

sooneron
7/8/2011, 11:09 PM
Hey, maybe we will escape this offseason in one piece after all. :)

Uh, someone did die.:confused:

SoonerofAlabama
7/8/2011, 11:27 PM
Uh, someone did die.:confused:

And I am not trying to be insensitive or rude or anything like that. I am just saying this offseason has been hectic and sad and a bunch of disappointments since Lewis and Broyles said they would stay. Sorry if that came out wrong. :(

OU-HSV
7/8/2011, 11:32 PM
Excellent news.

goingoneight
7/8/2011, 11:33 PM
Long off-season to go. Hopefully the good news starts pouring in anytime soon.

btb916
7/9/2011, 10:24 PM
Fleming has remained in good shape during his time away. Saw him recently up close and he has put on some good size. He'll be ready and will probably take over the starting spot quickly.

goingoneight
7/9/2011, 10:27 PM
He really didn't even have it locked up last year until he had a few good games. The talk of fall camp was of Jon Nelson moving back across from Hurst at corner. With Colvin coming in and pushing for PT, it was no gimme right away. A lot of people forget he's been around for a long time and just last year got on the field regularly. That either means the talent's about a wash on the depth chart or the competition brought out the best in him.

MojoRisen
7/10/2011, 09:27 AM
I am all for playing the best option at Corner. Fleming is a Sr. I would be for playing the Sr. it it is a wash on who is the better corner. Experience is tough to replace..

Lynn got a lot of experience in Spring - Not sure he is ready to give up the number 1 spot just yet - haven't heard much about his ability since being in school - but as a recruit everyone under the sun had offered him as a corner, he was so highly recruited you expected him to start as a True Frosh or RS Frosh.