PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Vacates 2010 Season

SoonerofAlabama
7/8/2011, 12:23 PM
Vacated all 12 wins, including 2011 Sugar Bowl.

Oh and no link right now because this just came out.

This is everything from the Washington Post:

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State vacates football wins from 2010 season, including 2011 Sugar Bowl victory

oumartin
7/8/2011, 12:25 PM
So, can Rich Rod have his job back now that he's beaten Ohio State?

Flagstaffsooner
7/8/2011, 12:31 PM
I thought you made that up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6749330

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State has vacated all of its football wins from the 2010 season, including its 2011 Allstate Sugar Bowl victory.
The university made the announcement Friday in its formal response to the NCAA. Ohio State is to go before the committee Aug. 12; the school has been charged with major violations dealing with improper benefits given to Buckeyes football players who received cash and discounted tattoos for autographs and memorabilia.
Gene Marsh, the attorney for former Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel, told The Associated Press his client will appear before the infractions committee in August. Tressel was forced to resign May 30 after he admitted he had known his players received improper benefits and that he covered it up from his superiors for nine months.
In a statement issued Friday, the university said an agreement has been reached under which Tressel will change his previously announced resignation to a retirement. The agreement also ends and resolves any issues arising out of Tressel's employment with Ohio State.

badger
7/8/2011, 12:31 PM
The NCAA deserves to sanction itself for this. Allowing players to play in the bowl game when they're clearly not eligible? Some governing body you are.

jumperstop
7/8/2011, 12:33 PM
The NCAA deserves to sanction itself for this. Allowing players to play in the bowl game when they're clearly not eligible? Some governing body you are.

But they were going to pay for it this year by missing five games...

NormanPride
7/8/2011, 12:34 PM
Do they think this will make the pain be less? Oh, Ohio State. It's cute how you try to stub your toe to lessen the pain of the sledgehammer to your groin.

the-rover
7/8/2011, 12:35 PM

Yeah! Allow all schools to run amok for 3 years! Sounds fair.

SoonerofAlabama
0-9 against the SEC lives on.

SoonerMom2
NCAA was not given the facts by OSU and Tressel to make an informed decision -- or to put it another way -- Tressel lied to get them eligible. BTW, they just said Tressel is now retired not resigned.

Hope the NCAA throws the book at them -- if they were recommending to the NCAA they have should have reduced scholarships and put a ban on for more than two years. They are still trying to game the system IMHO.

badger
7/8/2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah! Allow all schools to run amok for 3 years! Sounds fair.

:D I meant that the employees responsible for that sh!tty decision take a pay cut, performance bonus withheld, firings, you name it.

jumperstop
7/8/2011, 12:41 PM
:D I meant that the employees responsible for that sh!tty decision take a pay cut, performance bonus withheld, firings, you name it.

Who is going to want to cut their own pay?

badger
7/8/2011, 12:47 PM
Who is going to want to cut their own pay?

Is there absolutely no accountability or oversight in our governing body? No wonder they make sh!tty decisions

yermom
7/8/2011, 12:49 PM

heh

delhalew
7/8/2011, 01:05 PM
So give back the bowl money, tv money, and conference money. As low ball offers go...that's a doozy.

I guess they decided the track USC took didn't work out too well .

badger
7/8/2011, 01:09 PM
So, can Rich Rod have his job back now that he's beaten Ohio State?

Technicality: They wouldn't have erased a Michigan game if it was a loss. They're only vacating WINS.

SoonerofAlabama
7/8/2011, 01:10 PM
But Michigan fans can say, "Hey, Ohio State didn't win when they played us."

delhalew
7/8/2011, 01:14 PM
The buck stops with the sweater vest? Right...

mgsooner
7/8/2011, 01:16 PM
The university also is imposing a two-year probation period on the program, which means there would be harsher penalties if any further wrongdoing is discovered. (1)But Ohio State chose not to impose a loss of scholarships or a bowl ban for next season or moving forward. The NCAA could accept or choose to increase the NCAA's penalties in August.

Throughout the report, Ohio State points blame at Tressel, attempting to minimize the culpability of the institution. (2)The school also states it deserves credit for discovering and reporting the violations and taking the decisive action of parting ways with a popular, successful coach. It also says it has already lost its competitive advantage because of the penalties imposed.

Point 1 - LMAO, good luck with that.

Point 2 - I wouldn't classify waiting until the media pressure had become unbearable to act as "taking decisive action". Stoops booting Bomar as soon as he heard about Big Red Gate was decisive. Coming out and making initial statements like "I just hope he doesn't fire ME, ha, ha" is nowhere near decisive.

the-rover
7/8/2011, 01:23 PM
Hammer em! Or, nail em!

Whichever they prefer

badger
7/8/2011, 01:51 PM
(2)The school also states it deserves credit for discovering and reporting the violations and taking the decisive action of parting ways with a popular, successful coach.[/B]

Ohio State's "decisive" action:

March 8: Tressel is suspended for the first two games of the season and fined $250,000.

(Note: The first two games are against Akron and Toledo. Tressel earns roughly $3.5 mil per season, meaning that a $250k fine is 1/14 of his salary, or about 7 percent)

March 20: Tressel self-imposes the same penalty for himself as his players, the first five games. Those additional games are Miami (FL), Colorado and Michigan State)

May 31: Tressel resigns.

So basically, the only thing tOSU should be taking credit for is a the two-game suspension a 7 percent pay cut, not the self-imposed five-game suspension, not the resignation (because they didn't fire Tressel, Tressel resigned).

EnragedOUfan
7/8/2011, 02:00 PM
This just makes me more upset that justice hasn't been given to the cheating Auburn Tigers.....

OUMallen
7/8/2011, 02:09 PM
So give back the bowl money, tv money, and conference money. As low ball offers go...that's a doozy.

I guess they decided the track USC took didn't work out too well .

That's what I was thinking: make tyhem give back the BCS appearance money.

badger
7/8/2011, 02:21 PM
This just makes me more upset that justice hasn't been given to the cheating Auburn Tigers.....

Patience, enraged one. The longer Auburn drags their feet, the more punishment the NCAA will hand down on them :D

Remember that SC dragged their feet and got a huge punishment as a result. I could see the same thing happening to Auburn.

The one thing Aubie doesn't have going for it at the moment is that their competition is a lot tougher than SC's. "All In" won't get another SEC or national title, nor be in contention for either this upcoming season, unlike SC and their domination of the cupcake conference.

Jacie
7/8/2011, 02:37 PM
This is an empty gesture. If they want to set things right, they should vacate the 2011 season, everyone on their schedule gets a W by forfeit . . .

badger
7/8/2011, 02:42 PM
This is an empty gesture. If they want to set things right, they should vacate the 2011 season, everyone on their schedule gets a W by forfeit . . .

Just thinking about that shows how meaningless vacating wins is. You got to play the games, you got to enjoy the victory, you got to experience what you shouldn't have because you broke the rules.

Flagstaffsooner
7/8/2011, 03:06 PM
The NCAA should make them lock the doors on their stadium restrooms duing home games. That will teach them.:D

cccasooner2
7/8/2011, 03:14 PM
Just thinking about that shows how meaningless vacating wins is. You got to play the games, you got to enjoy the victory, you got to experience what you shouldn't have because you broke the rules.

Best of all, you get to enjoy the money.

badger
7/8/2011, 03:22 PM
So the NCAA is so angry at Auburn getting away with "All In" that they're slapping West Virginia :D

Link (http://newsok.com/ncaa-places-west-virginia-football-on-two-years-probation/article/3583846?custom_click=headlines_widget)

cccasooner2
7/8/2011, 04:01 PM
So the NCAA is so angry at Auburn getting away with "All In" that they're slapping West Virginia :D

Link (http://newsok.com/ncaa-places-west-virginia-football-on-two-years-probation/article/3583846?custom_click=headlines_widget)

Blake escaped mention! (Or was that NC, I don't remember.)

Ruf/Nek7
7/8/2011, 04:26 PM
This is simply ridiculous and not enough. I hope the NCAA comes in and gives them an even worse sanction that usc got.

badger
7/8/2011, 05:09 PM
Blake escaped mention! (Or was that NC, I don't remember.)

ja, that was unc

ouwasp
7/8/2011, 05:37 PM
I agree with what Traber said today. He said this is like a kid in trouble knowing he's going to face the music when Dad gets home. So he cleans his room, does the dishes, etc, trying to lessen the punishment...:rolleyes:

I hope Dad gets the belt after this bunch. Vacating wins. Please. That is so meaningless.

SoonerMom2
7/8/2011, 11:34 PM
OSU also vacated the fine for $250,000 they gave Tressel and allowed him to retire not resign so he can get health benefits. Am sure the NCAA is going to take a look at that and decide to throw the book. Their idiot President and AD need to 'retire' for health benefits as well.

Quik Sand
7/9/2011, 12:51 AM
Gutless offer. No reduced scholarships, no sanctions. This is the old, "lets show we are willing to punish ourselves and maybe they won't pick the worst switch."

Oh and its coming down on Oregon as well. Auburn will prove to be a one year wonder, but look at other top programs. Texas sux (even without sanctions), USC, Ohio St.

soonerloyal
7/9/2011, 08:27 AM
Ya gotta give the Buckeyes a few points for creativity. They're now moving into the realm of Looney Tunes in entertainment value. It's hilarious to watch. Everyone involved from Gee and Smith on down are running around trying to dodge falling boulders and defective Acme equipment. Their pitiful excuse for self-punishment is too little, too late and reminds me of the tiny umbrella Wile E. Coyote used in an attempt to shield himself from a falling ton of bricks.

What's not at all funny in situations like this is that the kids who did everything right (the majority in any program) are suffering as though they had broken the rules.

And Tressel now "retired" not "resigned"? That's like sugary icing on a cow pie. It looks good to the decorator, but everyone within smelling distance knows what's underneath.

PLaw
7/9/2011, 08:36 AM
Vacating wins?? Big whoop. Means nothing, period.

Self-imposed probation? Seriously??? In reality, every team is on probation.

The only significant penalty to truly change behaviors are scholly's and bowl bans. tOSU should have had the balls to reduce scholly's by 5 for the next two years and no post-season play this season (and pray the ncaa doesn't pile on).

Boomer

pphilfran
7/9/2011, 10:51 AM
NCAA was not given the facts by OSU and Tressel to make an informed decision -- or to put it another way -- Tressel lied to get them eligible. BTW, they just said Tressel is now retired not resigned.

Hope the NCAA throws the book at them -- if they were recommending to the NCAA they have should have reduced scholarships and put a ban on for more than two years. They are still trying to game the system IMHO.

Good call...

Football Jim
7/9/2011, 12:09 PM

Right on!!!

Jacie
7/9/2011, 12:17 PM
How about instead of reducing scholarships and bowl bans, a team found guilty of major infractions has to play a season using only 10 men on the field?

The precedent for this in basketball. There have been instances where a team, already short-handed, fouled out enough players to have to finish a game going 4-on-5. I have a Sports Illustrated article about a game between a couple of small colleges that saw one squad reduced to 4, then 3, then 2 and finally finish the game playing 1 guy against 5 . . . and the short-handed school won the game.

Quik Sand
7/9/2011, 01:00 PM
Sounds like something Woody Paige would suggest ha

Scott D
7/9/2011, 03:52 PM
Gutless offer. No reduced scholarships, no sanctions. This is the old, "lets show we are willing to punish ourselves and maybe they won't pick the worst switch."

Oh and its coming down on Oregon as well. Auburn will prove to be a one year wonder, but look at other top programs. Texas sux (even without sanctions), USC, Ohio St.

Keep in mind that it's just what they're suggesting, Odds are they're going to get hit a lot harder than that based on the fact of the USC ruling. What makes trying to compare the two difficult, is the fact that USC stonewalled the NCAA at every opportunity they had. OSU hasn't done that, primarily because they were being stonewalled by Tressel at every opportunity that he had. They'll likely try to plead "we didn't know" which won't work for them.

Quite truthfully they should receive one of the harshest penalties short of the SMU ruling in quite some time simply because this is their third major violation in the two "money" sports over the last 6-7 years. But the idea that they will not lose at least 30 scholarships and bowl eligibility for at least 1 if not 2 or more years is pretty laughable.

What they're doing is tantamount to a 5 year old telling their parents they should be forced to have some ice cream in lieu of being grounded or spanked for doing wrong.

silverwheels
7/9/2011, 04:01 PM
Ohio State fans are confident they won't get hammered...because they're Ohio State. If that's what happens after tOSU committed perhaps the most egregious violations since SMU in the 80s, then it's confirmed that favoritism does exist with the NCAA and that's even more reason for that worthless, corrupt organization to be disbanded.

Scott D
7/9/2011, 04:05 PM
Ohio State fans are confident they won't get hammered...because they're Ohio State. If that's what happens after tOSU committed perhaps the most egregious violations since SMU in the 80s, then it's confirmed that favoritism does exist with the NCAA and that's even more reason for that worthless, corrupt organization to be disbanded.

just remember USC fan thought they were untouchable prior to their ruling.

silverwheels
7/9/2011, 04:08 PM
True.

ouwasp
7/9/2011, 05:19 PM
Sure would like to hear CBUS chime in on this. I enjoy his joy of the bucks misery. :)

Jacie
7/9/2011, 05:42 PM
Keep in mind that it's just what they're suggesting, Odds are they're going to get hit a lot harder than that based on the fact of the USC ruling. What makes trying to compare the two difficult, is the fact that USC stonewalled the NCAA at every opportunity they had. OSU hasn't done that, primarily because they were being stonewalled by Tressel at every opportunity that he had. They'll likely try to plead "we didn't know" which won't work for them.

Quite truthfully they should receive one of the harshest penalties short of the SMU ruling in quite some time simply because this is their third major violation in the two "money" sports over the last 6-7 years. But the idea that they will not lose at least 30 scholarships and bowl eligibility for at least 1 if not 2 or more years is pretty laughable.

What they're doing is tantamount to a 5 year old telling their parents they should be forced to have some ice cream in lieu of being grounded or spanked for doing wrong.

I don't agree with your opening paragraph at all. Their president and AD were in this up to their ears just before the Sugar Bowl, pleading with everyone to let the Pryor and friends play. Then when it really hit the fan, around March was it, they acted like it was news to them. The so-called "investigation" they conducted in December was part of the cover up and if they didn't know all the details, they knew it was bad enough that they had to pretend they had done their due diligence so they could field a team for the bowl game. They sacrificed Tressel to save their own worthless hides. I hope it isn't enough. Everyone one who was part of this should go down.

silverwheels
7/9/2011, 05:49 PM
I'm even more pissed that the NCAA knew about the Tat 5 and still let them play in the Sugar Bowl as long as they were suspended the following season, all so the game would still have Pryor and still be entertaining (i.e., generate more revenue). That is utter bull****.

MamaMia
7/9/2011, 05:59 PM
Re: Ohio State Vacates 2010 Season ...and so they should. Cheaters!

Shame on them.

Scott D
7/9/2011, 08:54 PM
I don't agree with your opening paragraph at all. Their president and AD were in this up to their ears just before the Sugar Bowl, pleading with everyone to let the Pryor and friends play. Then when it really hit the fan, around March was it, they acted like it was news to them. The so-called "investigation" they conducted in December was part of the cover up and if they didn't know all the details, they knew it was bad enough that they had to pretend they had done their due diligence so they could field a team for the bowl game. They sacrificed Tressel to save their own worthless hides. I hope it isn't enough. Everyone one who was part of this should go down.

What Ohio State did doesn't even compare to what USC did in terms of stonewalling.

OUInformant
7/9/2011, 09:36 PM
I think that tOSU is going to get hit with some pretty significant penalties. Unfortunately for them, USC was hit really hard, and SC's transgressions affected far fewer players too. Really not good for the Buckeyes.

King Barry's Back
7/9/2011, 11:27 PM

If they are trying to game the system, they've made a pretty bold opening move.

They've fired the coach and vacated an entire season's wins.

Haven't they self-imposed some scholarship limits and the like?

Really, what more can they do?

MyT Oklahoma
7/10/2011, 04:45 PM

0 and 10 now.. but then who's counting? :D

silverwheels
7/10/2011, 06:25 PM
Actually, it doesn't count as a loss if it's vacated. It just didn't happen on Ohio State's side, while Arkansaw still gets the loss.

CBUS_SOONER
7/10/2011, 07:03 PM
Sure would like to hear CBUS chime in on this. I enjoy his joy of the bucks misery. :)

Sorry!!!! I have been on vaca... Ok here r my thoughts.
1. The NCAA should be insulted by THE... Do they really think they are that stupid???? The NCAA should hammer the **** out of them...
2. Shouldn't they vacate every win since TP has been playing???? Some of this stuff dates back a couple of years.
3. Every Sunday in the dispatch they have rumblings section where fans write in and continue to praise Tre$$el and claim he got screwed. My favorite excuse that I hear evey other day is,"Tre$$el is just looking out for the kids" and "Everyone does it."

In summary, THE fans think that nothing will happen because the NCAA needs THE more than THE needs them... I am soooo sick of these idiots I could vomit. I hope they get hammered... I am afraid they will get off with a slap on the wrist.

BTW i started a thread a few weeks ago about yahoo breaking a story about THE o$u and a point shaving scandel... I recently played golf with my source and he still thinks the story will break eventually (im not so sure)... He said
He heard the story from two sources who are pretty important people... we shall see

Soonerfan88
7/10/2011, 08:01 PM
If they are trying to game the system, they've made a pretty bold opening move.

They've fired the coach and vacated an entire season's wins.

Haven't they self-imposed some scholarship limits and the like?

Really, what more can they do?

Not really, he retired with full pay & no fine and they think he's really going to tell the truth to the NCAA this time. :rolleyes:

"In a reversal, Ohio State -- which earlier said it had asked for Tressel's resignation on May 30 -- said Friday it had now agreed to allow him to call it a retirement. The school also said he did not have to pay a $250,000 fine levied against him for his actions. On top of that, Tressel will receive the last month of his base pay ($54,000), has agreed to cooperate when Ohio State goes before the NCAA infractions committee on Aug. 12, and both he and the university agreed that they wouldn't sue each other."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15304923/ohio-state-vacates-2010-season-sugar-bowl-tressel-retires/rss

cccasooner2
7/10/2011, 08:40 PM
Not really, he retired with full pay & no fine and they think he's really going to tell the truth to the NCAA this time. :rolleyes:

"In a reversal, Ohio State -- which earlier said it had asked for Tressel's resignation on May 30 -- said Friday it had now agreed to allow him to call it a retirement. The school also said he did not have to pay a $250,000 fine levied against him for his actions. On top of that, Tressel will receive the last month of his base pay ($54,000), has agreed to cooperate when Ohio State goes before the NCAA infractions committee on Aug. 12, and both he and the university agreed that they wouldn't sue each other."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15304923/ohio-state-vacates-2010-season-sugar-bowl-tressel-retires/rss

Well that should guarantee the tuth will come out as you said. It reminds me of the standard slimey statement "We welcome and eagerly await the opportunity to vindicate our side of the accusations." :)

TopDawg
7/11/2011, 01:37 AM
How about instead of reducing scholarships and bowl bans, a team found guilty of major infractions has to play a season using only 10 men on the field?

The precedent for this in basketball. There have been instances where a team, already short-handed, fouled out enough players to have to finish a game going 4-on-5. I have a Sports Illustrated article about a game between a couple of small colleges that saw one squad reduced to 4, then 3, then 2 and finally finish the game playing 1 guy against 5 . . . and the short-handed school won the game.

So when "full-strength" team made a basket, how did the 1 guy inbound the ball? Did he just have to throw it in and hope for a deflection off of a defender?

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/11/2011, 01:50 AM
The full strength never scored..that guy played like a boss!!!

TopDawg
7/11/2011, 11:43 AM
Well if they had, his best bet would've been to just throw it really hard off of a defender and get it to bounce out of bounds. Run out the clock .5 seconds at a time.

Jacie
7/11/2011, 01:38 PM
So when "full-strength" team made a basket, how did the 1 guy inbound the ball? Did he just have to throw it in and hope for a deflection off of a defender?

He actually did that during the time he was 1-on-5, caromed the ball off a guy who felt he had to contest an inbound pass when there was no one to pass it to.

MyT Oklahoma
7/11/2011, 07:01 PM
Actually, it doesn't count as a loss if it's vacated. It just didn't happen on Ohio State's side, while Arkansaw still gets the loss.

Thank you. I stand corrected and all the more reason for the NCAA to jam forfeits down their throats. Then its 0 and 10. :D

ouleaf
7/13/2011, 04:53 PM
http://www.clevescene.com/binary/a719/1310563338-ohio-state-dead-guy.jpg

LOLZ

cccasooner2
7/15/2011, 10:03 AM
A little more sweatervest evaluation by tOSU in 2006.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Jim-Tressel-unacceptable-in-reporting-violations-in-2006-evaluation-071511

Ruf/Nek7
7/15/2011, 10:55 AM
A little more sweatervest evaluation by tOSU in 2006.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Jim-Tressel-unacceptable-in-reporting-violations-in-2006-evaluation-071511

I was just about to report the same thing but from ESPN. He screwed up 6 months into his job! 6 MONTHS.

CBUS_SOONER
7/15/2011, 02:10 PM
And people still stand behind the fraud... During a forth of July parade in columbus there was a float honoring Tre$$el... Also, the OHSAA is honoring him during the first high school fball game this yr by all hs fball coaches wearing a shirt and tie. People are stupid... The guy can do anything...

SoonerofAlabama
7/15/2011, 02:16 PM
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/8111/osuxlarge.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
7/17/2011, 12:14 AM
This is funny, and a NCAA violation somehow;)
uPSIkwkddws&feature=related

cccasooner2
7/22/2011, 09:41 PM
NCAA forgives tOSU of bad monitoring. :P

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/NCAA-wont-hit-Ohio-State-with-failure-to-monitor-charge-072211?gt1=39002

MyT Oklahoma
7/22/2011, 10:00 PM
^^ What a total crock of bucknuts.