PDA

View Full Version : Man dies after falling out of stands at Rangers game

rekamrettuB
7/8/2011, 09:09 AM
Horrible...it's just a ball people.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Man-dies-after-falling-out-of-stands-at-Rangers-?urn=mlb-wp11900

This kind of thing isn't supposed to happen at the ballpark.

But it has.

A man attending a Texas Rangers game with his young son died after falling out of the left-field stands and about 20 feet to the ground Thursday night.

He was trying to catch a ball flipped into the stands by Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton(notes) but apparently lost his balance and fell head-first in a space between the 14-foot outfield fence and the grandstand near the Oakland Athletics bullpen.

"We had a very tragic accident tonight and one of our fans lost their life reaching over the rail trying to get a ball," team president Nolan Ryan said. "As an organization, and as our team members and our staff, we're very heavy-hearted about this, and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family."

The Brownwood (Texas) Bulletin identified the man as Shannon Stone, a lieutenant in that town's fire department and a fireman for 18 years.

The accident happened in the second inning after Oakland's Conor Jackson(notes) hit a foul ball that bounced back onto the field.

Horrifying TV replays from the Oakland broadcast show Stone positioning himself to catch Hamilton's throw, then tumbling over a railing as his young son watched. A man next to Stone tried to hold onto him, but couldn't.

It's the second fatal fall at a major league ballpark this season. In May, a fan at Coors Field fell down a stairwell and died. Also, last July at Rangers Ballpark, a fan fell 30 feet from the second deck of seats while trying to catch a foul ball and suffered a fractured skull and sprained ankle.

Ryan said Hamilton and the rest of the club were made aware of what happened.

"We spoke to the ballclub, they understood what has happened and we spoke to Josh," Ryan said. "I think as any of us would be, Josh is very distraught over this, as the entire team is."

What must be going through the mind of not only the boy, but also Hamilton? Obviously, what happened wasn't his fault but it would only be human nature to feel guilty. And, as most fans realize, Hamilton is quite human.

The other players were taking it hard as well:

Athletics reliever Brad Ziegler(notes) was in tears after the game when he found out the man had died.

"They had him on a stretcher. He said, 'Please check on my son. My son was up there by himself.' The people who carried him out reassured him. 'Sir, we'll get your son, we'll make sure he's OK,"' Ziegler said. "He had his arms swinging. He talked and was conscious. We assumed he was okay. But when you find out he's not, it's just tough."

This has to be the saddest possible event at a baseball game. A man goes to a ballgame with his son — it's the ultimate American experience — and he dies trying to catch a ball. It's hard to comprehend.

As for the need to raise the railings, or not throw balls into the stands ... that's the crazy part. How many thousands of games happen where nobody gets hurt, and now this?

Video of the fall probably can be found elsewhere on the Internet, but be advised: It is profoundly upsetting.

Maybe more cogent thoughts will come to me in the morning.

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 09:26 AM
And he dropped the ball too. Double tragedy.

(triple if you count the fact he was a Rangers fan)

jumperstop
7/8/2011, 09:32 AM
And he dropped the ball too. Double tragedy.

(triple if you count the fact he was a Rangers fan)

Quadruple, he was named Shannon....

OutlandTrophy
7/8/2011, 09:33 AM
his poor son. My goodness.

jumperstop
7/8/2011, 09:34 AM
P_3asU-m_2E

Mjcpr
7/8/2011, 09:36 AM
I bet Josh Hamilton feels great.

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 09:36 AM
Quadruple, he was named Shannon....

yes. noted. thanks.

jk the sooner fan
7/8/2011, 09:43 AM
his poor son. My goodness.

this

OutlandTrophy
7/8/2011, 09:46 AM
It's strange that a year and a day prior, a man fell 30 feet at the Ballpark and broke his skull. Both men were firefighters.

stevo
7/8/2011, 09:48 AM
people need to stop falling out of the stands. they're going to start putting up safety nets or some goofy sh*t and ruin the game for the rest of us

(....the Ziegler quote almost made me cry though. sad )

thecynic
7/8/2011, 09:50 AM
if you never take your kids anywhere this kind of stuff won't happen.

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/8/2011, 10:09 AM
Well actually he did catch the ball.

With this outbreak of people falling and dying at mlb games, I can see the mlb implementing a new rule that players cant throw balls in the stands or something stupid like that.

ouleaf
7/8/2011, 10:10 AM
A sad story indeed. this has happened twice in two years now for the Rangers. They have to do something. Whether it's the ushers notifying everyone in the first rows before a game to exercise caution if a ball comes in your direction.

The should also put some sort of a net or fencing in that gap between the out of town scoreboard and the back wall. If they had that it could have caught the guy.

Peach Fuzz
7/8/2011, 10:12 AM
Did Josh throw it like like a girl that time or was the guy drunk? Or maybe he just had ****ty balance?

OUMallen
7/8/2011, 10:13 AM

With this outbreak of people falling and dying at mlb games, I can see the mlb implementing a new rule that players cant throw balls in the stands or something stupid like that.

We could at least raise the railing a little. Those railings are at the perfect fulcrum point for most people to tip over. Everyone is top heavy.

Aldebaran
7/8/2011, 10:17 AM
Why is everything is awesome in slow motion?

Peach Fuzz
7/8/2011, 10:18 AM
what about 2girls1cup?

stevo
7/8/2011, 10:19 AM

A sad story indeed. this has happened twice in two years now for the Rangers. They have to do something. Whether it's the ushers notifying everyone in the first rows before a game to exercise caution if a ball comes in your direction.

The should also put some sort of a net or fencing in that gap between the out of town scoreboard and the back wall. If they had that it could have caught the guy.

SEE?!!

Aldebaran
7/8/2011, 10:20 AM
I never watched it. Because some things can not be unseen.

87sooner
We could at least raise the railing a little. Those railings are at the perfect fulcrum point for most people to tip over. Everyone is top heavy.

this..
or make everyone on the front row wear a strap attached to their ankle and their seat...

Jammin'
If Hamilton would have used a crowhop none of this would have happened. True story.

oumartin
You people are some sick individuals.

Hopefully your son or daughter can watch you plummet to your death.

Peach Fuzz
7/8/2011, 10:21 AM
BME pain olympics??

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 10:21 AM

And you call us sick? geez man, that was harsh.

rekamrettuB
7/8/2011, 10:24 AM
this..
or make everyone on the front row wear a strap attached to their ankle and their seat...

Bungee cords...just long enough to get to the concession stand and potty.

oumartin
7/8/2011, 10:24 AM
And you call us sick? geez man, that was harsh.

making humor over someone's death is wrong..

stevo
7/8/2011, 10:25 AM

I take it you didn't name yourself after dean martin...he seemed like a much more amicable guy

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 10:26 AM

You must be here for teh political threads then?

stevo
7/8/2011, 10:29 AM
Bungee cords...just long enough to get to the concession stand and potty.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/slmudd32506/phillipthehyperhypo.gif

rekamrettuB
7/8/2011, 10:32 AM
And helmets...great point.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/slmudd32506/phillipthehyperhypo.gif

thecynic
7/8/2011, 10:35 AM
years ago, on a Sunday morning a father with two kids in the car got out to put a penny on the railroad tracks right there by the Mont. As the kids watched he was nailed by a train going (however fast trains go) At least when they carted the guy at the rangers game off he was still alive, the kids in norman saw their dad beheaded.

Thaumaturge
7/8/2011, 10:35 AM

My daughter is blind, you jerk.

Penguin
7/8/2011, 10:36 AM
I never watched it. Because some things can not be unseen.

It's not graphic at all. He just flips over the railing and disappears behind the left field wall.

Adrian
7/8/2011, 10:37 AM
I take it you didn't name yourself after dean martin...he seemed like a much more amicable guy

I think Dean would even have liked Skippy...

MsProudSooner
7/8/2011, 10:37 AM

They operate under the mistaken illusion that they are funny. It's just a symptom of immature people who have never experienced a traumatic experience like that young boy did yesterday.

Penguin
7/8/2011, 10:40 AM
yu7Oim0Mzwg

Best catch by a fan ever.

Aldebaran
7/8/2011, 10:45 AM
It's not graphic at all. He just flips over the railing and disappears behind the left field wall.

I watch that. Good times. But, I never watched 2 girls 1 cup. I draw the line at making fun of some moron going over the edge while his kid watches, but I don't want to see hotties eating poo.

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 10:50 AM
They operate under the mistaken illusion that they are funny. It's just a symptom of immature people who have never experienced a traumatic experience like that young boy did yesterday.

Look I understand it's sad, but sitting around pasting praying smilies isn't going to bring him back. Should we act like the little boy posts here and be all "Oh my goodness sweetie, we love you and will be here for you if you need something"?

And it's because I've dealt with seeing several friends die in front me that I am like this so quit acting like you have a damn clue. Everyone is going to die, some more spectacularly than others. (like this guy, you wouldn't have even known his name was "Shannon" had he died of cancer in his bed in front of his family.) You act like you are better than us or more mature because you anonymously post a prayer to people that will never read it on a Sooner message board.

Penguin
7/8/2011, 10:51 AM
I watch that. Good times. But, I never watched 2 girls 1 cup. I draw the line at making fun of some moron going over the edge while his kid watches, but I don't want to see hotties eating poo.

Oh. I got cornfused about what video you was yapping about. :O

Breadburner
7/8/2011, 10:54 AM

Like your compassion in this thread....

haven't been to Greensburg in over a year last time I was there it's just a shell of it's former self(which wasn't much to begin with). The whole "green" thing I believe was a mistake IMO but who knows. All I know is if you drive up to Hoisington which had one a couple years prior to the Greensburg one their town looks great. They took the opportunity to fix up a couple areas of town.

Of course it wasn't wiped off the map like Greensburg was either. Or, maybe I just don't like Greensburg since I never got a winning scratcher there.

Aldebaran
7/8/2011, 10:55 AM
People who pop off about decorum on message boards make the baby jesus cry.

87sooner
7/8/2011, 10:57 AM
And it's because I've dealt with seeing several friends die in front me that I am like this

several? really?
are you a gang banger?

i've never had any friends die in front of me...
maybe i'm just fortunate...

Adrian
7/8/2011, 10:58 AM
several? really?
are you a gang banger?

It was probably when he was coaching volleyball...

Aldebaran
7/8/2011, 10:59 AM
I'm like this because dude falling in slow motion is funny. Not only that, but it's good for TV ratings, and therefore good for corporate sponsors and America.

The real question is, why do you all hate America?

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 11:08 AM
several? really?
are you a gang banger?

Three is several, no? And they were back to back to back July's. In '91, a friend died in the hospital in front of me from complications of wrecking his car. In '92, one roommate was shot in the left side of the head with a slug from a shotgun, on purpose, by another roommate. I got to take the stand for that one in April of '93. The last died of an enlarged heart while we were playing pick up bball in the summer of '93.

Aldebaran
7/8/2011, 11:12 AM
That is a really ****ty way to go from 18 to 21.

SoCaliSooner
7/8/2011, 11:13 AM
Note to self: don't be jammin's friend.

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 11:18 AM
18 to 20 Ald, learn to count.

and I almost lost a buddy in the summer '90 to ensephalitis. By the summer of '91 he was better but never has been the same. I would not have seen him die however.

good news: I've been friend-death-free since 93! (of viewing them die anyway)

Adrian
7/8/2011, 11:21 AM

and I almost lost a buddy in the summer '90 to ensephalitis. By the summer of '91 he was better but never has been the same. I would not have seen him die however.

Well, that's eighteen years, so you certainly pass any comedy rule...

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 11:23 AM
Well, that's eighteen years, so you certainly pass any comedy rule...

If you can't laugh about it, what else is there? crying? solemness? no thanks.

Also, is "solemness" a word? I don't think it is but you get the idea.

thecynic
7/8/2011, 11:23 AM
Note to self: don't be jammin's friend.

for realz

picasso
7/8/2011, 11:27 AM

And dies from it.

That's probably the part that he's talking about.

DIB
7/8/2011, 11:27 AM
I bet Hamilton feels like ****. If he had thrown a better ball, then that dude would still be alive.

What are the odds that Hamilton fell off the wagon last night? 50/50?

soonerboomer93
7/8/2011, 11:28 AM

I thought everyone knew that thing was fake and it was just some softserve ice cream :confused:

GDC
7/8/2011, 11:46 AM
I'm going to the Yankee game tonight. I hope Jeter's 3000th hit is a home run or ground rule double right to me, I catch it and am set financially for life.

jk the sooner fan
7/8/2011, 11:48 AM
Three is several, no? And they were back to back to back July's. In '91, a friend died in the hospital in front of me from complications of wrecking his car. In '92, one roommate was shot in the left side of the head with a slug from a shotgun, on purpose, by another roommate. I got to take the stand for that one in April of '93. The last died of an enlarged heart while we were playing pick up bball in the summer of '93.

no, three is "a few"

i think you need 2-3 more friends to die in front of you to qualify as several

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 11:51 AM
no, three is "a few"

Crap. Well, my wife and kids will be gone tonight, who wants to hang out?

Adrian
7/8/2011, 11:56 AM
no, three is "a few"

Are you volunteering to die?

jk the sooner fan
7/8/2011, 11:57 AM

i have no friends, so i'm safe

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 11:57 AM

The beetus will get jd soon. I just need to find out when and where.

stevo
7/8/2011, 12:14 PM
jaaaAAAAAASSSOON!!! what are you doing tonight?

87sooner
7/8/2011, 12:36 PM
I'm going to the Yankee game tonight. I hope Jeter's 3000th hit is a home run or ground rule double right to me, I catch it and am set financially for life.

or at least until you hit the ground....

soonerchk
7/8/2011, 01:49 PM
If you can't laugh about it, what else is there? crying? solemness? no thanks.

Also, is "solemness" a word? I don't think it is but you get the idea.

I believe it's solemnity, jackhole.

IndySooner
7/8/2011, 02:11 PM
Got to say, I agree with the person who says that you guys are sick ***cks.

I have a two-year-old and a six-year-old that go to baseball games with me. Watching the guy fall was one thing. Watching his son look down at him and say whatever he was saying after he fell was gut-wrenching.

We make fun of a lot of things on this board, but this one should be off limits.

And making a joke about Hamilton after what he's gotten through is pretty bad, too.

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 02:11 PM
I believe it's solemnity, jackhole.

Yeah Thaum used his special math powers to let me know via mean fisted spec. Thanks for bringing it public though. (for that I'll move one step closer to you for a week)

picasso
7/8/2011, 02:30 PM

I have a two-year-old and a six-year-old that go to baseball games with me. Watching the guy fall was one thing. Watching his son look down at him and say whatever he was saying after he fell was gut-wrenching.

We make fun of a lot of things on this board, but this one should be off limits.

And making a joke about Hamilton after what he's gotten through is pretty bad, too.

Yeah but it's just a message board so you can be an anonymous doosh and be snickery minus the persnickety and such.

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 02:41 PM
MODS! Please change my name to "anonymous doosh".

(and either change picasso's name to dali or change picasso's pic to picasso, it's confusing)

DIB
7/8/2011, 02:44 PM

Some people use humor to deal with tragedy. Some people turn into self righteous *******s. I won't judge you for your method, if you don't judge me for mine.

soonerchk
7/8/2011, 02:52 PM
Some people use humor to deal with tragedy. Some people turn into self righteous *******s. I won't judge you for your method, if you don't judge me for mine.

I'm only here to judge you people and for the RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION resulting from the judging.

StoopTroup
7/8/2011, 02:57 PM
Look I understand it's sad, but sitting around pasting praying smilies isn't going to bring him back. Should we act like the little boy posts here and be all "Oh my goodness sweetie, we love you and will be here for you if you need something"?

Yes.

StoopTroup
7/8/2011, 03:00 PM

(and either change picasso's name to dali or change picasso's pic to picasso, it's confusing)

We moderate via Mob mentality here now. That way only the Mob can call you out. Mods are just for show.

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 03:00 PM
Yes.

It's comforting to know you'll be here for the kids Troup.

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 03:02 PM
We moderate via Mob mentality here now. That way only the Mob can call you out. Mods are just for show.

You posting 6 times in a row doesn't make you a mob.

picasso
7/8/2011, 03:08 PM

I was just speaking in general terms but if you're feeling convicted...

I don't think this story or the jackass guy is funny but that's just me. Yeah I know this place is here to let loose.

And I'm impressed you managed to differentiate between the two Spaniards.

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 03:16 PM
I was just speaking in general terms but if you're feeling convicted...

I don't think this story or the jackass guy is funny but that's just me. Yeah I know this place is here to let loose.

And I'm impressed you managed to differentiate between the two Spaniards.

Convicted? No. Inspired? Yes.

The guy reminds me of something I'd do. I hope I don't die though.

Dali is really hard to miss. My mom is an artist/art teacher, so I know enough to know I know very little.

Adrian
7/8/2011, 03:19 PM
For the record, I've been laughing at Jammin', not the unfortunate wretch...

stevo
7/8/2011, 03:20 PM
hey, who's been crying in their cheerio's over this? can i get a show of hands?

SoCaliSooner
7/8/2011, 03:23 PM
Is it true this guy who fell was a firefighter?

stevo
7/8/2011, 03:24 PM

does everything always have to be about you?!!!

rekamrettuB
7/8/2011, 03:24 PM

Unless people are lying.

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 03:26 PM
For the record, I've been laughing at Jammin', not the unfortunate wretch...

me too buddy, me too. well, and stevo. and you. and Ald. and DIB. and (insert your name here if you are offended I left you off the list)

stevo
7/8/2011, 03:28 PM
me too buddy, me too. well, and stevo. and you. and Ald. and DIB. and (insert your name here if you are offended I left you off the list)

and indysooner?? him too??! because he just posted some FUUUUUUNNNY sh*% back there!

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 03:32 PM
and indysooner?? him too??! because he just posted some FUUUUUUNNNY sh*% back there!

mmm, he kinda crossed a line defending Hamilton, no?

87sooner
7/8/2011, 03:35 PM

yeah...
so was the guy that fell last year...
so two notes...
dont' be friends with jammin....and don't go to a rangers game...

stevo
7/8/2011, 03:37 PM
mmm, he kinda crossed a line defending Hamilton, no?

true. i just can't staaaaaand people who do drugs.

soonerchk
7/8/2011, 03:37 PM
yeah...
so two notes...

I think the lesson here is don't be a fireman cause they seem top heavy.

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 03:38 PM
true. i just can't staaaaaand people who do drugs.

OH, I was more upset that he stopped doing them? But I see your point. Can we agree not to agree while continuing to post with civility and grace?

stevo
7/8/2011, 03:41 PM
of course, brother! (i can call you that, ryte???)

*fist to chest and a peace sign*

Pricetag
7/8/2011, 03:41 PM
Some honest observations:

The ball was headed right into the other dude's glove. This thing was a terrible tragedy, but it's even worse that part of the reason he fell was because he was stretching across and in front of the other guy to get it. If he doesn't raise his one leg to fully stretch in front of the other guy, he doesn't fall.

It looks like he might have had a split second to grab the wall with his right hand. Maybe he could have held on long enough to get his legs underneath him, but he would have had to drop the ball, and he didn't.

I wonder if the ****ty flip flop traction had anything to do with him losing his footing?

SoCaliSooner
7/8/2011, 03:42 PM
yeah...
so two notes...

Never risk your life unless you are on the job. Your family won't get that pension and lifetime death benefits, no folded flag, no paid for funeral, no bagpipes playing Amazing Grace, no senators and VIP's in attendance, no fly overs.

Quite an expensive baseball you are leaving your family.

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 03:43 PM
of course, brother! (i can call you that, ryte???)

*fist to chest and a peace sign*

of course, of course. one love.

(raised black glove in the air)

Scott D
7/8/2011, 03:44 PM
It's a tragic incident, and I feel badly for the family. But really, the talk of putting nets up is a bit premature.

Generally speaking the odds of these episodes happening on a consistent basis is very unlikely as the numbers from the beginning of pro baseball to today would prove out.

87sooner
7/8/2011, 03:46 PM
Never risk your life unless you are on the job. Your family won't get that pension and lifetime death benefits, no folded flag, no paid for funeral, no bagpipes playing Amazing Grace, no senators and VIP's in attendance, no fly overs.

Quite an expensive baseball you are leaving your family.

maybe the rangers organization will step up and take care of the family...
or the ballplayers...

soonerchk
7/8/2011, 03:47 PM
of course, of course. one love.

(raised black glove in the air)

*cueblackeyedpeas?*

87sooner
7/8/2011, 03:47 PM
It's a tragic incident, and I feel badly for the family. But really, the talk of putting nets up is a bit premature.

Generally speaking the odds of these episodes happening on a consistent basis is very unlikely as the numbers from the beginning of pro baseball to today would prove out.

but isn't the current mentality "if it saves one life....."?

Jammin'
7/8/2011, 03:48 PM
*cueblackeyedpeas?*

I was thinking more of the national anthem circa 1968. But yeah, BEP is good too.

soonerchk
7/8/2011, 03:51 PM
I was thinking more of the national anthem circa 1968. But yeah, BEP is good too.

Well yeah for the first part, but then I was right for the second part. Don't mix your references, I'm easily confused.

sheepdogs
7/8/2011, 03:58 PM
maybe the rangers organization will step up and take care of the family...
or the ballplayers...

I'm sure Mr. Hamilton will help out. How could he not?

thecynic
7/8/2011, 04:04 PM
other than throw a ball into the stands like he's done a thousand times what did Hamilton do? People die doing stupid crap all the time. This dude just did it where he could be seen by millions of people. It's no one's fault but his own. It's a shame his son had to see him do that, but jeez it's just a baseball. what can hamilton really do? how much is a toss into the stands worth? a million? 500 grand? I dont think the rangers or hamilton owe that guy or his family anything.
I'm sure they'll sue though. it's the american way

sheepdogs
7/8/2011, 04:19 PM
other than throw a ball into the stands like he's done a thousand times what did Hamilton do? People die doing stupid crap all the time. This dude just did it where he could be seen by millions of people. It's no one's fault but his own. It's a shame his son had to see him do that, but jeez it's just a baseball. what can hamilton really do? how much is a toss into the stands worth? a million? 500 grand? I dont think the rangers or hamilton owe that guy or his family anything.
I'm sure they'll sue though. it's the american way

Are there people who made donations to those affected by the Joplin tornado who had no ties to either the town or its people?

The Maestro
7/8/2011, 04:25 PM
Are there people who made donations to those affected by the Joplin tornado who had no ties to either the town or its people?

A weather-related killer tornado > accidentally not having the presence of mind to know where you are and falling over a wall 20 feet up in the air and going headfirst into the ground without using your hands to break your fall in order to get a baseball that Josh Hamilton touched and innocently tossed to you.

sheepdogs
7/8/2011, 04:29 PM
A weather-related killer tornado > accidentally not having the presence of mind to know where you are and falling over a wall 20 feet up in the air and going headfirst into the ground without using your hands to break your fall in order to get a baseball that Josh Hamilton touched and innocently tossed to you.

If there is no sorrow to be felt then why did one of the opposing team players break down and cry when told of the fate of the fan?

Do you believe people as a whole were affected more personally from 9/11 than Joplin, and if so, where does the cutoff line occur where you hear a sad story and say "nah!" I won't offer a helping hand?

SoCaliSooner
7/8/2011, 04:41 PM
Do you believe people as a whole were affected more personally from 9/11 than Joplin, and if so, where does the cutoff line occur where you hear a sad story and say "nah!" I won't offer a helping hand?

Isn't that an Alan Jackson song?

sheepdogs
7/8/2011, 04:42 PM
Isn't that an Alan Jackson song?

You often find yourself listening to "hick" music?

stevo
7/8/2011, 04:49 PM
uh oh...is someone about to get SHEEPDOGSPWN3D!?!!

(where the hell is dib??)

StoopTroup
7/8/2011, 04:50 PM
does everything always have to be about you?!!!

No sometimes he makes it all about me.

mgsooner
7/8/2011, 04:58 PM
We're gonna need a bigger rail.

KABOOKIE
7/8/2011, 05:01 PM
Where are the lawyers in this thread? Somebody should be sued for this.

SoonerofAlabama
7/8/2011, 05:07 PM
I'm sure there will be a law suit. There shouldn't be, but there will be. These days, people will sue if they pee on the floor and then slip on it.

87sooner
7/8/2011, 05:11 PM
I'm sure there will be a law suit. There shouldn't be, but there will be. These days, people will sue if they pee on the floor and then slip on it.

if the organization is smart...and does what's right...the family will have no reason to file suit...
they would have a pretty good case...
fan falls last season and nothing is done wrt safety improvements...

SoCaliSooner
7/8/2011, 05:17 PM
You often find yourself listening to "hick" music?

I assure you, I don't listen to Toby Keith.

Penguin
7/8/2011, 05:17 PM
The place would be a lot safer if it weren't for all of those damn balls flying around.

The Maestro
7/8/2011, 05:19 PM
I park on the second level of a parking garage every day...and NO ONE has EVER had to tell me not to hang over the edge of it.

Scott D
7/8/2011, 05:21 PM
but isn't the current mentality "if it saves one life....."?

If that was the case then cars would be encased in bubblewrap, nobody would be allowed to leave their houses over the chance that they might get hurt. nothing would be made of wood so that they don't get a splinter, etc., etc.

You'll see a lot of talking over the next week or so, but the likelihood of something being done is doubtful if for no other reason than it being relatively cost prohibitive.

I've heard all kinds of suggestions on MLB Network today, from putting nets up all around the field, to having risers out in front of the seats so that he would have had a smaller fall before falling a second time, to Mitch Williams suggesting they put plexiglass up on the outside of the railing that comes up to the chest of the average height male that prevents them from leaning out too far.

In the end it's an unfortunate accident that had a tragic conclusion. It's not a Dany Heatley or Donte Stallworth situation. As to the A's player, I think what got to him more was the fact that he was in the bullpen when the man fell, and he was there when the man kept telling the paramedics to check on his son, and to make sure his son was ok. At that point everyone thought the guy was going to make it.

soonerchk
7/8/2011, 05:57 PM
At least we don't have to worry about Socali falling over the rails. That's one fireman safe.

MR2-Sooner86
7/8/2011, 06:13 PM
Notice how he didn't let go of the baseball to help him grab ahold of something?

I think he just won himself a Darwin Award.

JLEW1818
7/8/2011, 06:33 PM
so sad

DIB
7/8/2011, 07:17 PM
uh oh...is someone about to get SHEEPDOGSPWN3D!?!!

(where the hell is dib??)

YOU BEAT ME TO IT!!!!!!!!!111111oneoneone

StoopTroup
7/8/2011, 07:22 PM
Prayers for the young one. I bet he misses his Dad tonight....

Blue
7/8/2011, 07:35 PM
People who pop off about decorum on message boards make the baby jesus cry.

Ah STFU. You think you it's a consequence free zone?

If you want to post insensitive ****, be prepared for the backlash. I do.

Blue
7/8/2011, 07:36 PM

PPD'd Fail. :D

Blue
7/8/2011, 07:39 PM
You posting 6 times in a row doesn't make you a mob.

LMAO.

Romulus
7/8/2011, 08:28 PM

I'd hate to turn into an elephant

stevo
7/9/2011, 09:27 AM
so...i gave my boss tickets for tonight's game. what do you think the odds are of uhhh.....(i'm asking for a friend)

Mongo
7/9/2011, 09:30 AM
so...i gave my boss tickets for tonight's game. what do you think the odds are of uhhh.....(i'm asking for a friend)

should have given them to the big chick

SoCaliSooner
7/9/2011, 09:44 AM
should have given them to the big chick

Then lob mayo laden sub sandwhiches over her head until she rumbles over that ledge...

stevo
7/9/2011, 10:09 AM
dammit - that IS a better idea!

Mongo
7/9/2011, 10:17 AM
women and their tiny branes

jk the sooner fan
7/9/2011, 10:49 AM

introduce him to jammin and send them together......

stevo
7/9/2011, 10:51 AM
good idea.

jammin, what are you up to tonight? hit me up on google+ and let me know! i may have some tix for you

GDC
7/9/2011, 12:16 PM
PPD'd Fail. :D

I know, right?:D

Going Sunday instead, of course Jeter will probably get at least two hits today.

Jacie
7/9/2011, 12:27 PM
If that was the case then cars would be encased in bubblewrap, nobody would be allowed to leave their houses over the chance that they might get hurt. nothing would be made of wood so that they don't get a splinter, etc., etc.

You'll see a lot of talking over the next week or so, but the likelihood of something being done is doubtful if for no other reason than it being relatively cost prohibitive.

I've heard all kinds of suggestions on MLB Network today, from putting nets up all around the field, to having risers out in front of the seats so that he would have had a smaller fall before falling a second time, to Mitch Williams suggesting they put plexiglass up on the outside of the railing that comes up to the chest of the average height male that prevents them from leaning out too far.

In the end it's an unfortunate accident that had a tragic conclusion. It's not a Dany Heatley or Donte Stallworth situation. As to the A's player, I think what got to him more was the fact that he was in the bullpen when the man fell, and he was there when the man kept telling the paramedics to check on his son, and to make sure his son was ok. At that point everyone thought the guy was going to make it.

It was a freak accident, not unique and tragic for the consequences, but does it merit wholesale changes to the way stadiums are constructed? One of the appeals of attending a MLB game is the feeling of closeness even fans in the cheap seats have to the field and the players. Anything that comes between the fans and the action will diminish the game for everyone. One time I sat low and behind home plate at a Rangers game, thanks to having a neice dating a MLB player who got us those seats, and having to view the game through the net made it less enjoyable than sitting in the outfield seats where I would be when I purchased my own tickets. This is not the same as when they finally got around to fixing Memorial Stadium so people could not sit on the East side wall and risk plummeting 40 feet to the ground, since that did not have anything to do with coming between fans and the field. I think we live and learn from this but not go overboard on the reaction.

stevo
7/9/2011, 12:39 PM
baseball is most enjoyable when there is a chance of being hit in the head by a foul ball. i prefer sitting on the first baseline because it keeps me on my toes

Jammin'
7/9/2011, 01:20 PM
good idea.

jammin, what are you up to tonight? hit me up on google+ and let me know! i may have some tix for you

I appreciate the offer stevo but AL baseball, and Ranger baseball inparticular, is not what I call entertainment. (though watching your boss fall to his death does give me reason to reconsider)

MamaMia
7/9/2011, 02:11 PM
It looked like he had to over reach because that other guy was trying to catch the ball too.

87sooner
7/9/2011, 04:00 PM
http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110708&content_id=21592116&vkey=news_tex&c_id=tex

Osce0la
7/9/2011, 04:03 PM
so nobodys going to mention that 3,000 was in fact a home run?

Scott D
7/9/2011, 04:06 PM
wrong thread? :)

actually it seems wrong talking about Jeter in this thread. ;)

SoCaliSooner
7/9/2011, 04:06 PM
so nobodys going to mention that 3,000 was in fact a home run?

Only if somebody dies in front of their kid while diving for the ball...

Romulus
7/9/2011, 04:08 PM
baseball is most enjoyable when there is a chance of being hit in the head by a foul ball. i prefer sitting on the first baseline because it keeps me on my toes

Hamilton cracked open someone's Mellon today with a foulball

texaspokieokie
7/9/2011, 04:30 PM

i prefer seats behind the net.

87sooner
7/12/2011, 08:36 AM
almost happened again...

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/07/12/fan-nearly-falls-from-stands-during-homer-derby/

stevo
7/12/2011, 08:55 AM
natural selection.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 08:57 AM
missed it by "that" much.

rekamrettuB
7/12/2011, 09:17 AM
F'n idiots. As I said in the original OP...it's a baseball. If you want one that badly, go buy one at the gift shop.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 09:18 AM
F'n idiots. As I said in the original OP...it's a baseball. If you want one that badly, go buy one at the gift shop.

The guy that made teh catch and then feel into the pool full of bikini clad women says, "you sir, are a mf'ing fool"

I understand your point but I agree with the guy in the pool.

Romulus
7/12/2011, 09:20 AM
Where is this pool of bikini clad women?

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 09:35 AM
Where is this pool of bikini clad women?

It was in Arizona last night. I assume it's still there.

rekamrettuB
7/12/2011, 10:42 AM
The guy that made teh catch and then feel into the pool full of bikini clad women says, "you sir, are a mf'ing fool"

What guy? Nobody fell into a pool last night.

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 10:44 AM
Dead Spin says he did.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 10:49 AM

97jB6g2ZA6w

you can just pm shamp your apology.

rekamrettuB
7/12/2011, 10:53 AM
97jB6g2ZA6w

you can just pm shamp your apology.

That dude wasn't in the stands. He was in the hot tub. You can just pm me your apology.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 10:56 AM

That dude wasn't in the stands. He was in the hot tub. You can just pm me your apology.

I don't see where I said he fell from teh stands, just that he feel into a pool filled with bikini'd bitches. You can pm stevo your apology.

stevo
7/12/2011, 10:56 AM
trust me, it's more effective when you pm shamp.

I don't see where I said he fell from teh stands, just that he feel into a pool filled with bikini'd bitches. You can pm stevo your apology.

fawk!

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 10:57 AM

I backed you up, why don't I get the apology?

It's because you're still mad, right?

rekamrettuB
7/12/2011, 10:58 AM

Maybe because the link brought up and the person I called an F'n idiot wasn't 2 feet above the pool area jumping (not "falling") safely into the water. You can pm The your apology for mispelling his name...if he isn't baned.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 11:02 AM

Maybe because the link brought up and the person I called an F'n idiot wasn't 2 feet above the pool area jumping (not "falling") safely into the water. You can pm The your apology for mispelling his name...if he isn't baned.

I was responding to your top post here, not the OP. And "Teh" is the New Poland spelling, of that there can be no argument. (well, maybe SOME argument)

pm stu with your apology.

soonerchk
7/12/2011, 11:04 AM
I was responding to your top post here, not the OP. And "Teh" is the New Poland spelling, of that there can be no argument. (well, maybe SOME argument)

pm stu with your apology.

I've never really liked you...

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 11:04 AM
Sidenote: The catch of a lifetime? Guy catches HR ball, falls into a pool full of bikini clad hotties, and is praised for his ability to lessen his beer spillage during the event. Really, who here has made a better catch of a baseball in their life. Please share.

On Edit: I know chk, I know.

rekamrettuB
7/12/2011, 11:09 AM
Isn't it amazing that no matter what you are doing in the water, your first instinct is to hold your beer/drink above water. You could be drowning as the undertow was smashing you against the ocean bottom but you never once consider letting go of you drink. Your lifeless body will drift to shore with you having a firm grip of your drink...top pointed upward.

The
7/12/2011, 11:10 AM
This is getting out of hand.

I PM's Shamp, and he agreed.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 11:12 AM
Isn't it amazing that no matter what you are doing in the water, your first instinct is to hold your beer/drink above water. You could be drowning as the undertow was smashing you against the ocean bottom but you never once consider letting go of you drink. Your lifeless body will drift to shore with you having a firm grip of your drink...top pointed upward.

This we completely agree on. I remember vividly watching my good friend fall backwards out of a truck our freshman year in college. Slow mo of his eyes widening as he realized he would fall either on his head, neck or upper back. The keg was in the truck and we were all drinking out of those ****ty little clear plastic cups. the little ones. As he's falling we see him cover the top of that little cup with his hand. He lands with a thud and expels a majority of the air in his lungs. Doesn't miss a beat as he shakes the droplets of keystone light back into the cup. Hero? I say yes.

stevo
7/12/2011, 11:13 AM
Sidenote: The catch of a lifetime? Guy catches HR ball, falls into a pool full of bikini clad hotties, and is praised for his ability to lessen his beer spillage during the event. Really, who here has made a better catch of a baseball in their life. Please share.

On Edit: I know chk, I know.

my beer can got hit by a foul ball (while it was in my hand) at a redhawks game one time..absolutely no spillage. true story.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 11:14 AM
^^hero.

stevo
7/12/2011, 11:14 AM
*dusts shoulders off*

rekamrettuB
7/12/2011, 11:21 AM
This we completely agree on. I remember vividly watching my good friend fall backwards out of a truck our freshman year in college. Slow mo of his eyes widening as he realized he would fall either on his head, neck or upper back. The keg was in the truck and we were all drinking out of those ****ty little clear plastic cups. the little ones. As he's falling we see him cover the top of that little cup with his hand. He lands with a thud and expels a majority of the air in his lungs. Doesn't miss a beat as he shakes the droplets of keystone light back into the cup. Hero? I say yes.

Took a spill off a four-wheeler one morning drinking a a screwdriver (32 oz w/ a lid). They say my body made two full rolls but my Styrofoam cup remained constantly pointed towards the sky. Got up, brushed myself off, took a sip, realized the rest of the homecoming parade crowd was cheering me, took a bow, and got back on the four-wheeler.

Jammin'
7/12/2011, 11:25 AM
^^hero.