PDA

View Full Version : Why go to College?

StoopTroup
7/8/2011, 02:38 AM
VpZtX32sKVE&feature=pyv&ad=6739540474&kw=glenn beck

SoonerBorn68
7/8/2011, 04:20 AM
That video is over an hour. How much of it did you watch?

SoonerBorn68
7/8/2011, 05:39 AM
Interesting. Good economics lesson. I could have done without the push to buy precious metals at the end. Other than that it was very informative.

Memtig14
7/10/2011, 01:14 PM
The government overhauled the student loan program within the new healthcare bill?

Guess we should all have read those 1200 pages before it was passed. Doesn't seem very transparent to me. jmo

bigfatjerk
7/10/2011, 01:22 PM
The only reason you should really go to college is if you get a free scholarship or if you have a good idea what you will do and need college to do that thing.

Chuck Bao
7/10/2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks for posting that vid, StoopTroup. I only watched the first part of it, though.

I recently mentioned it in another thread that tertiary education is a big scam with huge bucks paid for reputation that doesn't equal quality.

Unless you get a scholarship, go to the cheapest school you can find for the undergraduate degree and to the best school that will accept you for the graduate degrees.

GKeeper316
7/10/2011, 01:56 PM
an IT trade school will give you more marketable skills than a 4 year university degree in this job climate.

SoonerBread
7/10/2011, 02:01 PM
an IT trade school will give you more marketable skills than a 4 year university degree in this job climate.

werd

TheLadiesMike
7/10/2011, 02:16 PM
I could not watch much of that. Education does need a lot of reform but that movie was nothing but cherry picked stats and a lot of claims not being backed up.

Midtowner
7/10/2011, 02:50 PM
I could not watch much of that. Education does need a lot of reform but that movie was nothing but cherry picked stats and a lot of claims not being backed up.

It was an infomercial for gold.

That's basically all there is to say.

JohnnyMack
7/10/2011, 03:20 PM
Weed and titties.

boomerinhou
7/10/2011, 11:13 PM
Why go to college?? Are you kidding?? Student OU football ticket prices!!!

:D

sooner59
7/10/2011, 11:54 PM
I wouldn't trade my 6 years of undergrad at OU for anything. :D

...or my 2 years of graduate school to get my masters. :cool:

Best years of my life. Sure I have loans to pay back. But I am one of those people who have to go to college in order to have the career they want. I will say that there are a lot of majors that I don't understand why they are in college spending money. Most of them don't know either. They are too hungover or still drunk to go to class. Hell of a lot of fun, though. But if you can do something other than the 4-5 year undergrad route to get to your career and you aren't getting school paid for...probably better off saving the money and going the other route.

StoopTroup
7/10/2011, 11:58 PM
I'm signing up for West Point.

Curly Bill
7/11/2011, 12:02 AM
People go to college because that's what's pounded into their heads from the time they're itty-bitty; their parents tell em they have to go, our high schools sure as hell tell em they have to go. We are sending peeps off to college when they have no business going, but they've been programmed to go to college, so by golly they're going to.

KantoSooner
7/11/2011, 08:24 AM
Okay, here's one that's sure to be dissed.

You go to college to equip yourself to more fully understand and appreciate the world around you.

If your appreciation of this life is limited to gaining defined-in-advance, easily measured skills, then, by all means, pick out whatever career you, in your 18 year old pinnacle of wisdom, feel is for you and get thee to a trade school.

If you want 'more' then I suggest you try a four year university.

By all means, watch your expenses and do your best to graduate without a pile of debt. But there's very little else in life that substitutes for the college experience.

tator
7/11/2011, 08:33 AM
I can't vouch for other locations/vocations, but as a software developer, if I want a job with a decent company, I have to have a 4-year degree. They won't even consider you otherwise.

IndySooner
7/11/2011, 08:35 AM
Okay, here's one that's sure to be dissed.

You go to college to equip yourself to more fully understand and appreciate the world around you.

If your appreciation of this life is limited to gaining defined-in-advance, easily measured skills, then, by all means, pick out whatever career you, in your 18 year old pinnacle of wisdom, feel is for you and get thee to a trade school.

If you want 'more' then I suggest you try a four year university.

By all means, watch your expenses and do your best to graduate without a pile of debt. But there's very little else in life that substitutes for the college experience.

I was going to post something similar.

I DO think that we are sending too many people to college, but for me and people like me, college was a time to grow up, figure out the real world and get ready to work.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the unemployment rate for someone without a 4-year degree is over 10% while someone with a 4-year degree it's under 5%.

I'm not sure why Glenn Beck and others are going down this path (my guess is there's a money trail) but it doesn't necessarily add up, at least for everyone.

Howzit
7/11/2011, 08:39 AM
I DO think that we are sending too many people to college, but for me and people like me, college was a time to grow up, figure out the real world and get ready to work.

This was the army for me...then I went to college.

IndySooner
7/11/2011, 08:58 AM
This was the army for me...then I went to college.

Honestly, that probably would have been good for me. It wasn't what I chose to do, but I think it would have been the best route looking back on it.

Howzit
7/11/2011, 09:09 AM
Honestly, that probably would have been good for me. It wasn't what I chose to do, but I think it would have been the best route looking back on it.

Honestly, I think the best route for me would have been to have just been born indpendently wealthy.

IndySooner
7/11/2011, 09:10 AM
Honestly, I think the best route for me would have been to have just been born indpendently wealthy.

Very well said, sir.

KantoSooner
7/11/2011, 10:04 AM
As much as I'd like to have buckets of money, I know myself well enough to guarantee you that I'd be dead today had I been born rich.

Mind you, the undertaker would have had to surgically remove the **** eatin' grin from my face, but I'd still have had fun to death.