PDA

View Full Version : Way to be fat, fat arses

thecynic
7/7/2011, 03:19 PM
http://newsok.com/oklahomas-obesity-rate-has-increased-18.5-percent-since-1995/article/3583484?custom_click=headlines_widget

Oklahoma's obesity rate has increased 18.5 percent since 1995

BY SHANNON MUCHMORE - Tulsa World Comment on this article 56
Published: July 7, 2011

Obesity in Oklahoma has increased more than any other state in the past 15 years, according to a report released Thursday.
photo - TOM GILBERT/ Tulsa World photo illustration
TOM GILBERT/ Tulsa World photo illustration

Multimedia
Photoview all photos
Oklahoma's obesity rate has increased 18.5 percent since 1995

The rate of obesity in the state has gone up by 18.5 percent since 1995. Oklahoma also ranks last in fruit and vegetable consumption, second in increase in diabetes, third in highest levels of inactivity and is one of five states to have an increase in obesity for three years in a row, according to “F as in Fat: How Obesity Threatens America’s Future 2011,” a report by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and Trust for America’s Health.

Oklahoma also ranks among states with the highest overall obesity, hypertension and diabetes rates. The majority of states faring poorly in the report are in the South.

Click here to read the complete article at Tulsaworld.com

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahomas-obesity-rate-has-increased-18.5-percent-since-1995/article/3583484#ixzz1RS7sujMv

mgsooner
7/7/2011, 03:23 PM
Think I'll head out to (insert name of any Mexican restaurant here) tonight to watch some fatties shovel it in like it's their last meal.

soonerchk
7/7/2011, 03:32 PM
It's not my fault, I haven't gained anywhere near 18.5%!!!!

Viking Kitten
7/7/2011, 03:32 PM
We're also going up in the teen pregnancy rankings. COINCIDENCE??? I think not.

jumperstop
7/7/2011, 03:34 PM
Shows you the fun things in OK. Well at least my two favorite, ****ing and eating, and not particularly in that order.

MR2-Sooner86
7/7/2011, 03:36 PM
Shows you the fun things in OK. Well at least my two favorite, ****ing and eating, and not particularly in that order.

Or at the same time :eek:

3rdgensooner
7/7/2011, 03:46 PM
Or at the same time :eek:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4841/clipboard01rt.png

MR2-Sooner86
7/7/2011, 03:48 PM
I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats.

achiro
7/7/2011, 03:55 PM
http://media.trb.com/media/graphic/2011-07/62621433-07124927.jpg
Tell them to stop ordering the 100 degree days and we'll go outside and play.

KuppiKunta
7/7/2011, 04:00 PM
I got myself out of the obesity category this year.

My Opinion Matters
7/7/2011, 04:07 PM
I can honestly say I do not know if I would be considered obese.

dwarthog
7/7/2011, 04:07 PM
http://media.trb.com/media/graphic/2011-07/62621433-07124927.jpg
Tell them to stop ordering the 100 degree days and we'll go outside and play.

Early in the morning is a good time to go out and play.

Not many folks out to play with though, they must be sleeping off the previous evenings
boofay....

Penguin
7/7/2011, 04:13 PM
We're also going up in the teen pregnancy rankings. COINCIDENCE??? I think not.

I loves me some underage, obese action!

cccasooner2
7/7/2011, 04:13 PM
Epidemic if you axe me.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43670705/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/?GT1=43001

IndySooner
7/7/2011, 04:20 PM
Two things:

1. The way we measure obesity is crap. I am obese if I am a pound over my high school wrestling weight. I had to cut weight to get there and I was nearly zero body fat at that time.

2. The way food is made is the biggest issue, in my opinion. You have to be SO careful about how you eat, unless you have great metabolism (in which case you're only disguising the issues), that it's almost impossible to lose weight and keep it off these days. We have sacrificed health for convenience in our society.

Mississippi Sooner
7/7/2011, 04:25 PM
Two things:

1. The way we measure obesity is crap. I am obese if I am a pound over my high school wrestling weight. I had to cut weight to get there and I was nearly zero body fat at that time.

2. The way food is made is the biggest issue, in my opinion. You have to be SO careful about how you eat, unless you have great metabolism (in which case you're only disguising the issues), that it's almost impossible to lose weight and keep it off these days. We have sacrificed health for convenience in our society.

Yep. Not to say there aren't too many overweight people in this country, but I've never agreed with the way BMI is calculated. According to that scale, a guy as tall as me should weigh 200 pounds or less. I'm sorry, but a guy who is 6' 4" who weighs less than 200 pounds looks like a scarecrow.

Peach Fuzz
7/7/2011, 04:28 PM
Two things:

Bull****! 0 body fat? NFL wide receivers have around 4... anything under 4 is dangerous.

cccasooner2
7/7/2011, 04:39 PM
Bull****! 0 body fat? NFL wide receivers have around 4... anything under 4 is dangerous.

Which is why WRs often drown while on vacation. Just a little sick humor. (I guess I am begging to be banned again.)

texaspokieokie
7/7/2011, 04:41 PM
Two things:

i never wrestled, (they didn't have it in Okmulgee when i was there) but i only weighed 125 when leaving hi-school.

as a (way past) mature adult, there's no way i could survive @ 125. i weigh 160, & need to get down to about 150. that's just my personal goal, not anybody's standard. i probably never will achieve 150, it'll just remain my goal.

yes, i have a big tummy but skinny outside of that.
don't know if i'm "obese" or not. I'm only about 5'-7".
guess i don't really care.

Fraggle145
7/7/2011, 04:52 PM

That doesnt mean that wrestlers dont get there. I know I was at 2% body fat. Measured by both the calipers and the dunk tank.

IndySooner
7/7/2011, 04:57 PM

Please point to where I said 0 body fat. I said nearly zero because to be honest, I don't remember what it was. We had to get out the freaking clips, though, because according to the BMI index, I should have been able to lose more weight, but I couldn't get any more off.

IndySooner
7/7/2011, 04:58 PM
That doesnt mean that wrestlers dont get there. I know I was at 2% body fat. Measured by both the calipers and the dunk tank.

I was thinking 4%, but I couldn't remember the exact number so I said "almost zero". Somehow, that was taken as zero body fat?

IndySooner
7/7/2011, 05:01 PM
i never wrestled, (they didn't have it in Okmulgee when i was there) but i only weighed 125 when leaving hi-school.

as a (way past) mature adult, there's no way i could survive @ 125. i weigh 160, & need to get down to about 150. that's just my personal goal, not anybody's standard. i probably never will achieve 150, it'll just remain my goal.

yes, i have a big tummy but skinny outside of that.
don't know if i'm "obese" or not. I'm only about 5'-7".
guess i don't really care.

I am about 5' 5 1/2" and wrestled at 160 when I cut my maximum amount of weight. At my height, 180 (the weight I played football at) is considered obese. It's ridiculous. I got down to 180 a few years back and had a doctor tell me I was too fat. I almost punched him in the nose.

Thaumaturge
7/7/2011, 05:03 PM
Punching a doctor in the nose would be symptomatic of a personality disorder.

IndySooner
7/7/2011, 05:04 PM
Punching a doctor in the nose would be symptomatic of a personality disorder.

First time I saw him. I had just finished losing over 60 lbs. He put me on a BMI chart and told me I was fat. I'd say I deserved to rage a little over that.

Fraggle145
7/7/2011, 05:06 PM
I am about 5' 5 1/2" and wrestled at 160 when I cut my maximum amount of weight. At my height, 180 (the weight I played football at) is considered obese. It's ridiculous. I got down to 180 a few years back and had a doctor tell me I was too fat. I almost punched him in the nose.

Hell I was 6' in high school and was wrestling at 145. I had to cut 10 pounds every week. Now I'm 230. I could get down to maybe 195 and be comfortable. Anything more than that and I'd be cutting weight again.

EnragedOUfan
7/7/2011, 05:07 PM
I'm not surprised, at all. Everywhere I go, I see an obese person. Every street I drive down, I see like 10-15 fast food restaurants. Fast food is part of Oklahoma's culture. OKC has very little sidewalks and is not a pedestrian friendly city. Fast food is Oklahoma....

IndySooner
7/7/2011, 05:08 PM
nevermind. misread the post.

sooner59
7/7/2011, 05:09 PM
I've lost 25lbs. The next 25 are the hardest. They don't want to come off. And I don't even do fast food, and rarely go out to eat at all. I think Oklahoma water is laced with fat.

IndySooner
7/7/2011, 05:10 PM
I'm not surprised, at all. Everywhere I go, I see an obese person. Every street I drive down, I see like 10-15 fast food restaurants. Fast food is part of Oklahoma's culture. OKC has very little sidewalks and is not a pedestrian friendly city. Fast food is Oklahoma....

Fast food, processed food, HFCS, etc., have become America, unfortunately. It's VERY hard to eat right these days, especially with everyone working. One of the advantages they had back in the day was growing their own gardens, fresh meat, etc., with a cook in the kitchen.

thecynic
7/7/2011, 05:10 PM
for a start, stay away from processed food and eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. It's not that hard. I don't know any of you here so I don't know who is fat or who isn't, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone on this board.
Serving portions are insane these days but you don't have to eat it all. I don't know if the way of measuring is off or not, or even fair to the individual, but all states are measured the same. Under any form of measuring the assumption would be that we as a state are a bunch of fat arses.

IndySooner
7/7/2011, 05:14 PM
for a start, stay away from processed food and eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. It's not that hard. I don't know any of you here so I don't know who is fat or who isn't, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone on this board.
Serving portions are insane these days but you don't have to eat it all. I don't know if the way of measuring is off or not, or even fair to the individual, but all states are measured the same. Under any form of measuring the assumption would be that we as a state are a bunch of fat arses.

This is true. 100%. I think Oklahoma has some built in disadvantages (weather, etc.) but I also think there is a correlation between education, etc. Compare different indicators (drug use, teen pregnancy, alcoholism, obesity) and I bet they all trend the same.

thecynic
7/7/2011, 05:20 PM
This is true. 100%. I think Oklahoma has some built in disadvantages (weather, etc.) but I also think there is a correlation between education, etc. Compare different indicators (drug use, teen pregnancy, alcoholism, obesity) and I bet they all trend the same.

I don't doubt that at all. But also let's be realistic, it's hard and expensive to eat in a healthy way. If you have a lower income it's easier and cheaper to feed your family mcdonalds than it is to go buy fresh veggies and cook them into something healthy.

soonerchk
7/7/2011, 05:55 PM

You know me and my feelers are hurt. Maybe I was retaining water!!!!

AlboSooner
7/7/2011, 05:55 PM
loosen up that bible belt yall

cccasooner2
7/7/2011, 05:59 PM
........ I'd say I deserved to rage a little over that.

I would say you deserved a whole rack of BBQed baby-back ribs.

BigTip
7/7/2011, 06:28 PM
One word.....

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Oh wait, that's four words.

Never mind.

Frozen Sooner
7/7/2011, 06:58 PM
Man. I even moved out in 1996. You'd think that would have helped.

Sooner_Tuf
7/7/2011, 07:46 PM
Yeah getting fat sucks. Especially on the ladies.

Y'all ever try one of those Ken's Pizzas from Mazzios? Think I am going to do that since this thread is making me hungry.

Yep a large pizza and a six pack of PBR pints.

What were you all saying again?

Thaumaturge
7/7/2011, 07:47 PM
First time I saw him. I had just finished losing over 60 lbs. He put me on a BMI chart and told me I was fat. I'd say I deserved to rage a little over that.

It doesn't make sense to ask a rage-a-holic how much rage is deserved or appropriate.

Memtig14
7/7/2011, 11:42 PM
The majority of states faring poorly in the report are in the South.......
Obesity rates have grown fastest in Oklahoma, Alabama, and Tennessee, and slowest in Washington, D.C., Colorado, and Connecticut.
Hey........I'm a typical Okie........I love me some chicken fried steak, fried taters, fried................

GKeeper316
7/7/2011, 11:45 PM
1. we like bbq, fried chicken and medium rare steaks, here.

2. its either too hot to do anything outside to stay active, or else the entire state is covered in a 2 inch thick sheet of ice, making doing anything outside a hazard to life and limb.

3. gym memberships are too expensive.

sooner59
7/7/2011, 11:54 PM

2. its either too hot to do anything outside to stay active, or else the entire state is covered in a 2 inch thick sheet of ice, making doing anything outside a hazard to life and limb.

That is a damn rational explanation.

afs
7/7/2011, 11:57 PM

4. We're just generally lazy and like to find excuses rather than take personal responsibility.

thecynic
7/8/2011, 06:38 AM
4. We're just generally lazy and like to find excuses rather than take personal responsibility.

ding! ding! ding!

lexsooner
7/8/2011, 07:14 AM
I think the obesity problem stems from a combination of reasons: we are more affluent than in the past and have money to buy as much as we want to eat, especially lower class citizens who formerly did not have such access to plentiful foods; we are more sedentary than in the past, with transportation, work, daily tasks made easier through technology, and many forms of entertainment which are enjoyed while sedentary; the rise of foods which are offered in large volume, inexpensive, and highly fattening; a combination of these reasons has led to a lack of worth ethic; lack of education, lack of care about health and wellness; and an American cultural belief that big is a good thing - big cars, big meals, big bodies . . . .

hOUrricane
7/8/2011, 08:06 AM
People spend hours on SF. Get up and do something.

Breadburner
7/8/2011, 08:15 AM
The percent of illegals has gone up exactly 18.5% since 95 as well....So there you have it.....

lexsooner
7/8/2011, 09:00 AM
The percent of illegals has gone up exactly 18.5% since 95 as well....So there you have it.....

I don't follow.

Condescending Sooner
7/8/2011, 09:08 AM
It doesn't make sense to ask a rage-a-holic how much rage is deserved or appropriate.

George is getting upset!!

Breadburner
7/8/2011, 10:44 AM
I don't follow.

They a bunch of fat-asses plus they makes all that mexican food and ****....Get it now.....:D

soonerchk
7/8/2011, 10:46 AM

I put the computer on the treadmill so I have to run while I post. I fall down a lot when things get interesting here, but other than that it's worth it.

3rdgensooner
7/8/2011, 11:41 AM
I wonder how many Oklahomans follow McDonald's Twitter feed.

Thaumaturge
7/8/2011, 11:45 AM
Try the McGangbang: A McDouble with an entire McChicken packed in between the patties. 2 bucks.

Adrian
7/8/2011, 11:48 AM

That is one helluva harsh first post...

oumartin
7/8/2011, 11:52 AM
people need to exercise, I eat fast food and drink pop. I just work my butt off exercising.

LAZINESS is the explanation.

jumperstop
7/8/2011, 12:03 PM
Try the McGangbang: A McDouble with an entire McChicken packed in between the patties. 2 bucks.

A few years back my friend ordered one of everything off the dollar menu for dinner. 13 dollars of goodness...

SoonerofAlabama
7/8/2011, 12:07 PM
t2mU6USTBRE

delhalew
7/8/2011, 12:09 PM

That's not a very good doctor.

lexsooner
7/8/2011, 12:16 PM
They a bunch of fat-asses plus they makes all that mexican food and ****....Get it now.....:D

Now I get it - you were just joking.

NormanPride
7/8/2011, 12:17 PM
Can you set up a webcam? Because that **** sounds hi-larious.

stevo
7/8/2011, 12:49 PM
cynic eats pickle-o's.

thecynic
7/8/2011, 01:02 PM
cynic eats pickle-o's.

yeah, so?

hOUrricane
7/8/2011, 01:19 PM
That is one helluva harsh first post...

When I strike, I come with vengence. :texan: