PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Obama is trying to get...

Jammin'
7/7/2011, 12:23 PM
the dems to agree to spending cuts to SS/Medicare/caid if the pubs will agree to tax increases.

Thoughts? (sorry if this has been posted already)

Obama puts Medicare, Social Security cuts on the table

The Obama administration, in seeking $4 trillion in spending cuts in a debt limit deal, has put major changes to Social Security and Medicare on the table if Republicans agree to increased tax revenues.

The offer caters to both sides in the debt limit negotiations and according to the Washington Post, President Obama will urge congressional leaders on Thursday to seize the opportunity to act. The compromise, however, still puts both Republicans and Democrats in tough spots.

Democrats have vowed to protect Medicare and Social Security, while Republicans still argue that tax increases are not realistic legislative proposals. If leadership from both parties agree to the Obama’s compromise, the next move will be to sell the plan to their respective bases and to members of Congress.

But Thursday’s meetings at the White House will reveal just how many concessions each party is willing to make.

The president has reportedly already privately discussed his plan with Speaker of the House John Boehner. Michael Steel, spokesperson for Boehner, though, told the Washington Post “there are no tax increases on the table.”

But House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, however, signaled Wednesday that he may be flexible on ending certain loopholes in the tax code.

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2011, 12:28 PM
agreeing to tax increases would be tantamount to the pubs handing the 2012 election over to Obama

Bourbon St Sooner
7/7/2011, 12:31 PM
Sounds like they are finally gettin serious. I applaud this if it happens.

Jammin'
7/7/2011, 12:31 PM
agreeing to tax increases would be tantamount to the pubs handing the 2012 election over to Obama

Well Obama's already backed out of increasing taxes once, now he's talking about lessening the spending of Medicare, etc...are Republicans serious about 'negotiating' or is it just going to be about getting their way...again?

Seems the only one giving any ground is Obama.

OutlandTrophy
7/7/2011, 12:35 PM
Well Obama's already backed out of increasing taxes once, now he's talking about lessening the spending of Medicare, etc...are Republicans serious about 'negotiating' or is it just going to be about getting their way...again?

that's one way to look at it.

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2011, 12:36 PM

thats one way to look at it

OutlandTrophy
7/7/2011, 12:39 PM
no way

I'd like to add

Mr. Obama did voice opinion on some differences on the issue of whether the lowest individual tax rates should be cut from 15 percent to 10 percent and from 10 percent to 5 percent.

As the president, he had told Kyl after the Arizonan raised objections to the notion of a tax credit for people who don't pay income taxes, Obama told Cantor this morning that "on some of these issues we're just going to have ideological differences."

The president added, "I won. So I think on that one, I trump you."

Mongo
7/7/2011, 12:39 PM
I wish there was one way to look at it

pphilfran
7/7/2011, 12:53 PM
Sometimes they promise one thing and deliver something else...

I need specifics before I before I put my foot in my mouth...

tcrb
7/7/2011, 12:58 PM

So would agreeing to cut SS and Medicare benefits.

Aldebaran
7/7/2011, 01:26 PM
http://media.townhall.com/townhall/car/b/cb012811dapr20110128064539.jpg

the-rover
7/7/2011, 01:50 PM
http://media.townhall.com/townhall/car/b/cb012811dapr20110128064539.jpg

And in no way would anyone be sending a rescue party

pphilfran
7/7/2011, 01:56 PM
They will get it done by the deadline...

It may end up being the largest, unreadable, most complicated, and most hated piece of legislation in US history...

Aldebaran
7/7/2011, 01:57 PM
Which could mean we'd be getting somewhere... maybe...

dwarthog
7/7/2011, 02:05 PM

Dems could have passed a budget some 700+ plus days ago while they enjoyed majorities in both houses yet chose to do nothing to avoid being held responsible for making a decision.

Their only action now is to posture and demagogue.

Sad thing is, people actually buy into that crap.

My Opinion Matters
7/7/2011, 02:11 PM
Dems could have passed a budget some 700+ plus days ago while they enjoyed majorities in both houses yet chose to do nothing to avoid being held responsible for making a decision.

This is a brand new practice, exclusive to the left.

dwarthog
7/7/2011, 02:42 PM
This is a brand new practice, exclusive to the left.

I knew it! Sorry bastages....

3rdgensooner
7/7/2011, 02:48 PM
Which could mean we'd be getting somewhere... maybe...hell in a handbasket?

SoCaliSooner
7/7/2011, 03:03 PM
They will get it done by the deadline...

It may end up being the largest, unreadable, most complicated, and most hated piece of legislation in US history...

You mean...besides obamacare?

soonerloyal
7/7/2011, 03:39 PM

True. But I'm hoping that what was said is actually a closer approximation of what Obama means than what is being assumed.

Pardon in advance for the poor writing. I'm typing faster than my brain wants me to. LOL

The possible cuts are oft-suggested and badly-needed changes like opening pharma price negotiations like the VA has available. That's a huge money-saver in and of itself. With the monopoly most companies have on certain drugs, they inflate the prices and their profits by selling the same product at widely-differing prices to different markets (like elder-care facilities vs. the VA for instance). Some people argue that there might not be a big difference if negotiations were mandatory, but this is a failing of our entire healthcare-held-hostage-for-gross-profits" system...one that no other civilized country has.

While there's certainly nothing wrong with making a profit, health care of a nation's people isn't something that should be run as a money-making scheme. Nor is justice, basic public education, social safety providers (police, firefighting, etc.) or national defense & warfare. The fact that my Crash Crew son made $2400/m. in a combat zone doing much more than his civilian private-contractor counterpart making $100K/yr makes no moral or fiscal sense. These are no-bid contracts with companies who are not legally bound by our laws, nor do they regularly pay taxes here, or held accountable for shoddy work - or work often not done at all. Smedley Butler was right, war is a racket nowadays. The "military-industrial complex" passionately warned about by Gen Dwight Eisenhower is now a national cash cow. It shows very well how much money could be successfully cut from or redirected within the DoD budget and used more successfully for our troops our children, our elderly, disabled, our teachers, LEOs & firefighters, rebuilding infrastructure, health care...so many needed areas.

It's not on the subject of spending, but...Closing even a few loopholes on corporations would add billions to the economy as well. Those enabling megacorporations to not only escape taxes last year, but also to receive taxpayer-funded corporate welfare subsidies need to be gone. These subsidies, which are clung to more than Mack to Vince's ***, were designed to support and encourage a fledgling, economically-struggling oil business trying to get off the ground. They are no longer needed, especially given that one recipient alone, Exxon-Mobile, rakes in almost 11 billion dollars in net profit quarterly. Businesses exist to make money, that's how people eat and pay bills, that's accepted. They should not, however, be exempt from responsible & ethical operations - not poisoning people, cleaning up after disasters, using proper equipment to prevent/minimize accidents, etc. That's why asking for less/no regulations and keeping these tax breaks, subsidies & loopholes makes most thinking people want to vomit in disgust. It's not logical, it's not morally sound and it's not economically sustainable for a society.

Jammin'
7/7/2011, 03:47 PM

I agree. And I agree with whoever said this happens on both sides. I'm completely against both sides these days unless one side decides to act more like adults and less like a bunch of lying, cheating, money-grabbing, me-first, me-only-attitude-having *******s.

My Opinion Matters
7/7/2011, 04:08 PM
I agree. And I agree with whoever said this happens on both sides. I'm completely against both sides these days unless one side decides to act more like adults and less like a bunch of lying, cheating, money-grabbing, me-first, me-only-attitude-having *******s.

So which side are you on?

soonerloyal
7/7/2011, 04:13 PM

That would be refreshing.

sooner59
7/7/2011, 04:14 PM
So the Pubs are the Bloods and the Dems are the Crips. Is this correct?

Can't we just say that both sides are wrong, knock off both parties, and start over?

Jammin'
7/7/2011, 04:20 PM
So which side are you on?

I think it's clear whose side I'm on.

dwarthog
7/7/2011, 04:24 PM
So the Pubs are the Bloods and the Dems are the Crips. Is this correct?

Can't we just say that both sides are wrong, knock off both parties, and start over?

Good luck with that.

Districts are too tightly drawn to get any significant numbers of the entrenched bastages out of office.

And with basically just two parties running the show I doubt much will change anytime soon.

sooner59
7/7/2011, 04:26 PM
I think it's clear whose side I'm on.

:confused:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_moDkM2GCEuQ/TQDc-7IFPRI/AAAAAAAAJ1w/5_PVVeOdE4o/s400/Crip_Signs.jpg

???

sooner59
7/7/2011, 04:27 PM
Good luck with that.

Districts are too tightly drawn to get any significant numbers of the entrenched bastages out of office.

And with basically just two parties running the show I doubt much will change anytime soon.

Is there an option of calling shenanigans? :pop:

Jammin'
7/7/2011, 04:29 PM
:confused:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_moDkM2GCEuQ/TQDc-7IFPRI/AAAAAAAAJ1w/5_PVVeOdE4o/s400/Crip_Signs.jpg

???

No, no, no, I'm on the side of the people. I see our current stage as being

Gov't vs People

I could be wrong, but I'm not.

sooner59
7/7/2011, 04:32 PM
I can dig that.

dwarthog
7/7/2011, 04:33 PM
Is there an option of calling shenanigans? :pop:

I think that would be the least of what we can call with regards to this mess.

sooner59
7/7/2011, 04:35 PM
I think that would be the least of what we can call with regards to this mess.

Fine... Get your broom. Let's do this thing.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3547/3326900757_582a984b17_z.jpg

EnragedOUfan
7/7/2011, 05:12 PM
It will be a sad day in America if Social Security and Medicare benefits are cut. We're all gonna get old, and some people just don't have the good life financially. Some people make bad choices, and some people are just stuck with crappy paying jobs that leave little money left to invest into retirement. We should care for our elderly, its a disgrace that people want this cut in my opinion. How the hell will an 80 year old man survive when he's too old to work?

soonercoop1
7/7/2011, 06:44 PM

Time for compromise has come and gone....we are multiple trillions in debt...only one way to fix the problem....drastically decrease the size and scope of the federal government (repeal Obamacare and assorted mandates etc), means test and decrease entitlements, abolish the IRS and add a flat tax, and add an amendment to keep congress in check...after ALL of that is completed then we can talk about tax increases...

tommieharris91
7/7/2011, 06:45 PM
How the hell will an 80 year old man survive when he's too old to work?

Death panels.

soonercruiser
7/7/2011, 08:10 PM
It will be a sad day in America if Social Security and Medicare benefits are cut. We're all gonna get old, and some people just don't have the good life financially. Some people make bad choices, and some people are just stuck with crappy paying jobs that leave little money left to invest into retirement. We should care for our elderly, its a disgrace that people want this cut in my opinion. How the hell will an 80 year old man survive when he's too old to work?

This post defies reality!
AS it is....SS will be bankrupt in 15 years at the most (according to the latest from the GAO itself).

The real choice is SS reform; or NO SOCIAL SECURITY AT ALL!
What part about that is unclear????
We must combine changes like, a little more increase in full retirement age, folks like me who get it soon...getting less, continuing to collect SS taxes at higher income levels, and sustainabilty changes for those now younger than 55.

soonercruiser
7/7/2011, 08:13 PM
no way

I'd like to add....
As the president, he had told Kyl after the Arizonan raised objections to the notion of a tax credit for people who don't pay income taxes, Obama told Cantor this morning that "on some of these issues we're just going to have ideological differences."

The president added, "I won. So I think on that one, I trump you."

And....tells the Repubicans to sit in the back of the bus!
Duh!

SoCaliSooner
7/7/2011, 08:16 PM
What happened to people saving their money like they did in previous generations? One problem in this country is that we think it's morally unconscionable for people to deal with the ramifications of bad decisions. We simply add them to the social program payroll so we can feel better about people getting subsidized housing, food, healthcare and guaranteed social security.

StoopTroup
7/7/2011, 08:21 PM
I think some of them were before their jobs went to India.

However some of them that got Stock Options were able to save some money after the Merger they assisted with. 13 Million doesn't go as far as you think though.

diverdog
7/7/2011, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=soonercruiser;3284214]This post defies reality!
AS it is....SS will be bankrupt in 15 years at the most (according to the latest from the GAO itself).

We must combine changes like, a little more increase in full retirement age, folks like me who get it soon...getting less, continuing to collect SS taxes at higher income levels, and sustainabilty changes for those now younger than 55.[/]

First of all SS brings in more than enough revenue to go out 20 plus years. It is the only fully funded program if the pols would leave it alone. Increasing the age and raising the income cap takes it out 80 years. The fix is simple.

pphilfran
7/7/2011, 09:24 PM

We must combine changes like, a little more increase in full retirement age, folks like me who get it soon...getting less, continuing to collect SS taxes at higher income levels, and sustainabilty changes for those now younger than 55.[/]

First of all SS brings in more than enough revenue to go out 20 plus years. It is the only fully funded program if the pols would leave it alone. Increasing the age and raising the income cap takes it out 80 years. The fix is simple.

Add two years and raise limit to 130k or 140k and it is golden...

okie52
7/7/2011, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=diverdog;3284276]

I'd go with that...there's not many of us though.

XingTheRubicon
7/7/2011, 09:36 PM
What happened to people saving their money like they did in previous generations? One problem in this country is that we think it's morally unconscionable for people to deal with the ramifications of bad decisions. We simply add them to the social program payroll so we can feel better about people getting subsidized housing, food, healthcare and guaranteed social security.

the bottom 1/3 of the US are basically children

the guy who helped me build a deck earlier this year told me he made 26K in 2010...his wife worked part time and they got back 7 grand on their taxes

they paid in less than 3K, (EITC and 2 kids)

They both have Iphone 4's, pretty nice truck and SUV, etc. Zero savings.

I can't wait to pay for morons like this when they "retire." There's tens of millions of them.

Sooner5030
7/7/2011, 09:44 PM
The US gubment in simple terms:

A family making $26,000 per year with accumulated debt totaling $140,000 and annual expenses ($42,000) that exceed income by over $16,000 per year…..in other words ‘accumulating another $16,000 of debt per year’.

If you were a creditor would you raise this individual’s limit on their credit card? What is the likely hood that they can pay and/or service the debt? Should you start to take a charge off for bad debt?

We’re f’d……either inflate our way outta this or contract GDP by 20%. Either way the mob will be upset enough that major disruptions in our daily lives will occur.

soonercoop1
7/8/2011, 07:42 AM
The US gubment in simple terms:

A family making $26,000 per year with accumulated debt totaling $140,000 and annual expenses ($42,000) that exceed income by over $16,000 per year…..in other words ‘accumulating another $16,000 of debt per year’.

If you were a creditor would you raise this individual’s limit on their credit card? What is the likely hood that they can pay and/or service the debt? Should you start to take a charge off for bad debt?

We’re f’d……either inflate our way outta this or contract GDP by 20%. Either way the mob will be upset enough that major disruptions in our daily lives will occur.

Agreed, the only questions are when and how exteme the "disruption" will become...waited too long to have a minor disruption...

soonercoop1
7/8/2011, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=diverdog;3284276]

Sounds reasonable to me if congress leaves the SS revenue "locked"...

CrimsonCream
7/8/2011, 11:13 AM

And continue to do so.

The sleazy politicians and President care more about being reelected than they do for the Country.

What is so hard about stopping increased spending until revenues catch up. Households do it everyday.

soonercruiser
7/8/2011, 11:27 AM

Come on DD!
Get real!
The pols have never left the SS Trust alone!
IT IS NOT IN A LOCK BOX!!!!

oumartin
7/8/2011, 11:38 AM
Gosh I hope they raise taxes. That way I'll have less money to purchase goods and stimulate the economy.

pphilfran
7/8/2011, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=pphilfran;3284286]

Sounds reasonable to me if congress leaves the SS revenue "locked"...

What do you mean by 'Locked"?

sappstuf
7/8/2011, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=soonercoop1;3284429]

What do you mean by 'Locked"?

I think a three lock box would be more secure..

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/s/sammy-hagar/album-three-lock-box.jpg