PDA

View Full Version : Rupert Murdochs Media Empire

StoopTroup
7/7/2011, 03:14 AM
Seems he's pissed off Britians Parliament.

He and his Son seem pretty relaxed. I guess we will see if Reruns of Glenn Beck will continue.....lol

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/world/europe/07britain.html

badger
7/7/2011, 10:31 AM
One thing that Rupert's doing that other media likely appreciate is he's creating near-monopolies of media, then charging customers more for it.

For a long time on the internets, you didn't have to pay for content on a lot of media sites. Links didn't have paywalls or metered plans to keep the freeloading to a minimum and as a result, subscription numbers dwindled, newspapers faced financial troubles that couldn't be made up for in subscription numbers because advertising was also going down.

Charging for content is probably not the most popular thing among viewers and readers, but it's profitable, and media is business.

soonerchk
7/7/2011, 11:55 AM
And they are shutting down:

The embattled British tabloid News of the World, one of the oldest and best-selling newspapers in Britain, will shut down after Sunday's issue, its owner, News International, told CNN Thursday.

The dramatic announcement follows accusations that the paper illegally eavesdropped on the messages of murder and terror victims, politicians and celebrities.

The scandal "sullied" the newspaper and "has no place in our company," News International Chairman James Murdoch said Thursday in announcing the shutdown.

And paying out-of-court settlements to some victims was "wrong and a matter of serious regret," Murdoch said. He is a son of media magnate Rupert Murdoch, the head of News Corp., which owns News International.
UK tabloid scandal hits ad sales UK phone hacking scandal widens British PM backs phone hacking probe

The 168-year-old newspaper, which sells more than 2.5 million copies every Sunday, was brought down by an avalanche of public and political fury in the wake of revelations that hacking victims included a missing 13-year-old girl who was later found to have been murdered.

What happened? How News of the World scandal was exposed
On Wednesday, Rupert Murdoch himself called allegations against his flagship Sunday paper "deplorable and unacceptable."

Prime Minister David Cameron on Wednesday called the possibility that the hacking had taken place "absolutely disgusting" and backed calls for an independent inquiry into the affair after a police investigation concludes.
Police launched a special investigation into the allegations of phone hacking on behalf of the newspaper in January of this year. It was the second police probe into the issue.

How will Murdoch empire weather hacking storm?

On Thursday, shortly before James Murdoch's announcement, the police said they have identified the names of nearly 4,000 potential victims.

In addition to owning News of the World, News International owns the Sun, the Times and the Sunday Times in Britain.

Murdoch's News Corp. also encompasses Fox News, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Post and Harper Collins publishers.

I'm going to miss all the BatBoy updates.

GDC
7/7/2011, 01:17 PM
It's not really Murdoch's empire, Roger Ailes is in charge.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-roger-ailes-built-the-fox-news-fear-factory-20110525

badger
7/7/2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah, we all know that Fox News is right-leaning.

We also know that Walmart is the low-wage small business killer in town.

Yet, Fox News is the most popular cable news, and Walmart is the most popular department store/grocer.

It's what the cable viewers and shoppers are choosing.

GDC
7/7/2011, 02:10 PM

Yet, Fox News is the most popular cable news, and Walmart is the most popular department store/grocer.

That doesn't make it appropriate or correct.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/7/2011, 02:15 PM

no problema! Both can be destroyed through the courts.

soonerchk
7/7/2011, 02:16 PM
Again, I'll miss Bat Boy, Wolf Boy, and all the aliens.

Aldebaran
7/7/2011, 02:20 PM

Both interchangeably excellent examples of how to win a race to the bottom.

7/7/2011, 02:24 PM
Both interchangeably excellent examples of how to win a race to the bottom.Consumers seeking truth and economy being targeted by whom?

Chuck Bao
7/7/2011, 02:48 PM
That was a shocking revelation to me. Police and governments aren't supposed to be hacking into personal cell phone messages. Then, they say that some other big media are also doing it as sort of an excuse. Well, isn't that just great?

It did bring down a 168-old newspaper with the highest circulation in the world. It is still a no-brainer for the Murdoch media empire because they are really just about the money, as was explained by the article, and advertisers were already deserting it.

Dang. And, the tabloid British press is famous world-wide for producing some of the most catchy and poignant headlines. I remember one giant font headline screaming "Gotcha" when the British sunk an Argentinian battleship during the Falklands War.

But the media war and mad rush to making money and some of them should make headlines of "Gotchya".

okie52
7/7/2011, 02:53 PM
That doesn't make it appropriate or correct.

So they are inappropriate and incorrect?

okie52
7/7/2011, 02:58 PM
Both interchangeably excellent examples of how to win a race to the bottom.

Evidently it is lucrative there. Maybe their competition should try harder.

cccasooner2
7/7/2011, 03:06 PM
Consumers seeking truth and economy being targeted by whom?

LOL, economy seems right.

soonerchk
7/7/2011, 03:10 PM
Oh wait, maybe I"m thinking of Weekly World News.

Mississippi Sooner
7/7/2011, 03:15 PM
Oh wait, maybe I"m thinking of Weekly World News.

Yes ma'am, you are. They actually closed up shop a few years ago.

soonerchk
7/7/2011, 03:16 PM
Yes ma'am, you are. They actually closed up shop a few years ago.

Then who has Bat Boy on the cover at the grocery store?

Mississippi Sooner
7/7/2011, 03:17 PM
Then who has Bat Boy on the cover at the grocery store?

I dunno who took over the Bat Boy reports. Maybe I should research it.

soonerchk
7/7/2011, 03:19 PM
I dunno who took over the Bat Boy reports. Maybe I should research it.

Would you please? I'm on a conference call right now trying to act like I care, Bat Boy will be far too distracting.

Mississippi Sooner
7/7/2011, 03:21 PM
Would you please? I'm on a conference call right now trying to act like I care, Bat Boy will be far too distracting.

All I'm finding is that Bat Boy stories ran in WWN from 1992 until the paper's demise in 2007.

Just how long has it been since you've been to the supermarket?

soonerchk
7/7/2011, 03:30 PM
About 6 days, but I didn't see Bat Boy then. I was focused on Jennifer Aniston stealing someone's boyfriend.

7/7/2011, 03:59 PM
Oh wait, maybe I"m thinking of Weekly World News.I used to buyWeekly World News occasionally, for the unbelievably hilarious stories they ran. One I bought was an issue that had a photo of a 3-Legged Skater on the cover, and it said she was BANNED FROM THE OLYMPICS!

Of course I wanted to know which country she represented, and lo-and-behold, it was our USA! It was said that when she went into her routine, she looked just like a helicopter. TOO BAD!!! I forget her name, and never heard any more about her.

Mississippi Sooner
7/7/2011, 04:03 PM
I always liked the columns by the ultra-right wing "Ed Anger." He was always warning us that "the Rooskies were gonna be dropping from the sky."

Chuck Bao
7/7/2011, 05:09 PM
You people seem so confused. Okay, I am drunk and confused and I could sober up tomorrow or something like that.

The newspaper closed in the UK (only I don't think generally available in the US) was a Sunday only paper and Murdoch isn't going to miss a beat my starting to produce a Sun Sunday paper (Heh!), like that article said.

soonerchk
7/7/2011, 05:57 PM
You people seem so confused. Okay, I am drunk and confused and I could sober up tomorrow or something like that.

The newspaper closed in the UK (only I don't think generally available in the US) was a Sunday only paper and Murdoch isn't going to miss a beat my starting to produce a Sun Sunday paper (Heh!), like that article said.

I am confused, because MissSooner (he he he) says I haven't seen Bat Boy in years, but I swear I just saw him a few weeks ago!

soonerchk
7/7/2011, 05:58 PM
Really, what are we going to call Mississippi Sooner? I'm betting he doesn't like MissSooner. PpiSooner? SissiSooner? What?